On BlackBerry 10 I've never had worries about security. Jumping on the Mercury, I'm wondering. If I buy my phone unlocked with a carrier contract through a 3rd party, will I be able to receive the 0-day security patches as soon as BlackBerry makes them available? Or will I still be tied to when the carrier pushes the updates?

If so, I'll want to buy it directly from BlackBerry or BBMobile, however they're going to do this. But this would set me back a few months before I'll be able to buy one, unless they price it really well. So, any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 05:50 PM
    On BlackBerry 10 I've never had worries about security. Jumping on the Mercury, I'm wondering. If I buy my phone unlocked with a carrier contract through a 3rd party, will I be able to receive the 0-day security patches as soon as BlackBerry makes them available? Or will I still be tied to when the carrier pushes the updates?

If so, I'll want to buy it directly from BlackBerry or BBMobile, however they're going to do this. But this would set me back a few months before I'll be able to buy one, unless they price it really well. So, any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    I can only assume that nothing has changed . If you buy through the carrier you will have to wait for carrier releases of the sec patches, and os updates. Maybe will find out a little more about this on the 25
    02-22-17 06:55 PM
    Well, that's the thing. I'm not buying it through a carrier, but a 3d party that offers unlocked phones and if you want in combination with a contract from any carrier.

Technically (as I see it, but I could be wrong), I'm upgrading my contract with the carrier through them and they (the 3rd party) provide me with an unlocked phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 07:17 PM
    Well, that's the thing. I'm not buying it through a carrier, but a 3d party that offers unlocked phones and if you want in combination with a contract from any carrier.

Technically (as I see it, but I could be wrong), I'm upgrading my contract with the carrier through them and they (the 3rd party) provide me with an unlocked phone.

Posted via CB10
    I would expect that third parties would be selling factory unlocked devices ...so the os updates and security patches should come through blackberry
    02-22-17 07:58 PM
    We call it sim only plans here in aus. So, buy your unlocked, unbranded bb from your dealer of choice, and then you buy the sim only plan from telco of choice.

Bb will auto send you updates ....

The only way to go, cos you're not reliant on a telco for update feeds. That will become important when bb releases nougat.
    02-23-17 03:30 AM
    Yeah, it's not a sim-only plan. That's why I'm worried about it. The phone comes with carrier bloatware, making me believe somehow the 3rd party just sells me the contract for the carrier and provides me the phone on behalf of the carrier as well. So I guess, I'd have to go the sim-only route and buy the phone through BlackBerry or BBMobile.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 05:42 AM