hey guys! which one is better : aluminium framed windows or vinyl windows?
    10-08-14 12:25 AM
    Check this page I've found..

http://www.stanekwindows.com/vinyl-v...m-windows.aspx

This is a good comparison of both, and it will depends of your likes and costs...

Hope it helps...

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10
    10-08-14 12:38 AM
    Is this for real lol?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 12:46 AM
    I'm not sure about this question on this forum, but, well, here is my answer :

Standard Aluminium windows frame are **** if you live in a country where it gets cold.
    Aluminium frame windows act as a "radiator" or "thermal transfer", meaning that if it is cold outside they will bring it inside. Opposite is true.

For this not to happen, you need higher quality aluminum frames which are insulated (there is a layer of gas or vinyl in between the two sides. Also, they would need to be painted, obviously

In this case, aluminium frames are very good and durable, if not the best.

Obviously, this comes at a price.

Also, double or triple glazing is key to good cold and sound insulation.

Vinyl is an intermediate choice. Still you would need double glazing.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 12:51 AM
    Its a very common question that arises in people’s mind while purchasing new windows. I had recently visited the Window Choice at Ontario. After getting a look into their design I was also filled with the same question in my mind. They got me clarified.Lets start from the basics. Aluminium is a strong conductor of heat but vinyl is a an insulator. Vinyl provides an air tight seal preventing air from getting in through the pane. Aluminium is more suitable for large commercial buildings. When it comes to durability, aluminium framed windows are more prone to dents when compared to vinyl clad windows. Vinyl doors are not subjected to corrosion whereas aluminium reacts and might corrode. Vinyl doors are energy efficient doors. When it comes to installation and longevity vinyl clad doors lead.
    10-08-14 01:18 AM
    I'm considering just doing them myself... Anderson wants 20k to do my upstairs... Of course I waited too long and now winter is around the corner. Might be next years project
    10-08-14 01:24 AM
    I wonder if that was the same Window Choice that i had do my windows?!? I cannot believe the reduction in noise from outside. Can barely hear my own dog bark to be let in! House stayed so much cooler this summer!

white Z30 STA100-5
    10-09-14 07:30 PM
    Fibreglass frames are another option. Vinyl expands and contracts more then fibreglass but less then aluminum. I see plenty of houses in five-ten year old subdivisions getting vinyl windows replaced already. 20k over ten years doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

BB10 4 ME
    10-09-14 07:38 PM
    I wonder if that was the same Window Choice that i had do my windows?!? I cannot believe the reduction in noise from outside. Can barely hear my own dog bark to be let in! House stayed so much cooler this summer!

white Z30 STA100-5
    Don't leave us in suspense... What did you choose?
    10-09-14 10:04 PM
    Vinyl! I believe it's the prudent choice in Ontario, Canada.

white Z30 STA100-5
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    10-12-14 07:06 AM
    Vinyl is a good choice in terms of value. They just tend to discolour quickly and are bulky looking. And there is the expansion/contraction issue, which can be solved by good installation.

Aluminum looks better and is stronger, but as a few have mentioned, they do not insulate well on their own. Once again, nothing a good installation can't solve.

It really depends on what your budget is.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 07:35 AM