Here's a post I ran across yesterday.

Google Plans to Launch Apps on Windows Tomorrow | Digital Trends

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 05:05 AM
    if this had happened earlier, i might have gotten a Winmo instead of an android.....
    10-06-15 05:23 AM
    I wish BlackBerry could swing this for OS10!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 09:25 AM
    I'm not highly convinced Google would do this; but, as part of a settlement deal with Microsoft that could make sense.

Google is getting a really good deal out of the agreement since Microsoft's patents have a lot more legal standing while most of Google's patents (from Motorola) are FRAND and garbage.

So unless Google agreed to pay lots of licensing fees to Microsoft, then there must be other caveats.
    10-06-15 09:40 AM
    Someone repeating a rumor from some other "according to Arabic site W4PHub".

Anything is possible.... I heard a rumor that Apple was working on cloning Steve Jobs.
    10-06-15 09:45 AM
    Yes, another "no-source" rumor that makes no sense.

MS has spent (read: lost) $12-15B on WinPhone over the last 5 years all in an effort to get WinPhone to the place it is about to be very soon: in a unified framework with desktop Windows, allowing for "universal Windows apps". And with the success of Win10 and the Surface Pro 3 and 4 tablets, there will be plenty of developer interest and support - and MS has long understood the importance of developers and developer tools, and has a good relationship with a ton of devs.

Even though WinPhone is far behind Android and iOS in terms of mobile apps today, they're still not all that bad off, and over the next couple of years, I expect that gap to close significantly, though I'm not sure that WinPhone will ever fully "catch up" completely. But it doesn't need to - it just needs to be a solid third choice, and I'm pretty sure it will be. The last thing MS would want to do now is throw all that work away to turn its power over to Google.

Similarly, there's absolutely no good reason for Google to allow this.

The whole thing fails the "smell test."
    JeepBB and the1 like this.
    10-06-15 01:29 PM
    Windows phone users numbering in the dozens could swamp google's servers !!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 03:14 PM

MS has spent (read: lost) $12-15B on WinPhone over the last 5 years all in an effort to get WinPhone to the place it is about to be very soon: in a unified framework with desktop Windows, allowing for "universal Windows apps". And with the success of Win10 and the Surface Pro 3 and 4 tablets, there will be plenty of developer interest and support - and MS has long understood the importance of developers and developer tools, and has a good relationship with a ton of devs.

Even though WinPhone is far behind Android and iOS in terms of mobile apps today, they're still not all that bad off, and over the next couple of years, I expect that gap to close significantly, though I'm not sure that WinPhone will ever fully "catch up" completely. But it doesn't need to - it just needs to be a solid third choice, and I'm pretty sure it will be. The last thing MS would want to do now is throw all that work away to turn its power over to Google.

Here we go...
    Truth was spoken back then:

"Developers, developers, developers... "

Go Steve! :-D

Windows phone to get Google services(speculation)-1423139397987591345.jpg

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    DarkJoker33 and 00stryder like this.
    10-06-15 07:51 PM

I agree with you, but could Microsoft actually block Google services coming to WP? Google could at anytime develop apps for WP and put them in the store, they just didn't want to until now. While I think that Microsoft's services are comparable in quality and functionality to Google ones, having more options is never bad.
    10-07-15 07:59 AM
    I agree with you, but could Microsoft actually block Google services coming to WP? Google could at anytime develop apps for WP and put them in the store, they just didn't want to until now. While I think that Microsoft's services are comparable in quality and functionality to Google ones, having more options is never bad.
    That's a whole different question. Nothing prevents Google from writing native WinPhone apps for its own services, and it's extremely unlikely that MS would even try to block them (Google could then block MS services in Google Play, and MS would suffer much worse).

We were talking about WinPhone running Android apps and getting Android Google Services - IMO, that's extraordinarily unlikely to happen.
    10-07-15 09:56 AM

We were talking about WinPhone running Android apps and getting Android Google Services - IMO, that's extraordinarily unlikely to happen.
    But, both the article and the discussion so far had nothing to do with running Android apps on WP10. I am not sure where you got that idea (but maybe i am missing it). The whole article was about giving WP10 the same treatment, Google gives iOS, by developing thier services as WP10 native apps.
    10-07-15 10:35 AM
    But, both the article and the discussion so far had nothing to do with running Android apps on WP10. I am not sure where you got that idea (but maybe i am missing it). The whole article was about giving WP10 the same treatment, Google gives iOS, by developing thier services as WP10 native apps.
    I think the thread was mistitled and has caused confusion.

Sure WinPhone may get Google Apps like iOS has, but the title says Google Play Services, which is something only Android can have.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    10-07-15 10:41 AM
    I think the thread was mistitled and has caused confusion.

Sure WinPhone may get Google Apps like iOS has, but the title says Google Play Services, which is something only Android can have.

The title says just Google services (without play), which is a correct term for all services Google offers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    10-07-15 10:51 AM
    The title says just Google services (without play), which is a correct term for all services Google offers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I understand. But I think it's ambiguous at best. I've never heard of the Google App suite being referred to as Google Services on iOS. Maybe I'm just behind, and the term has just become the vernacular.

Anyway, I can at least understand the confusion here.

10-07-15 10:56 AM
    I understand. But I think it's ambiguous at best. I've never heard of the Google App suite being referred to as Google Services on iOS. Maybe I'm just behind, and the term has just become the vernacular.

Anyway, I can at least understand the confusion here.

I always understood it as:

Google Serrvices = Google Maps, Hangouts, etc
    Google Play/Mobile Services = Google's back-end cloud based services that developers can leverage in their apps (Google Cloud Messaging, etc).

I would say that any mobile OS that can gain significant market share will eventually get native versions of Google Services on their devices, like iOS. However, I don't ever see any mobile OS gaining access to Google Play Services other than Google-Android.
    10-07-15 04:00 PM