If Google makes no money off of Android other than advertising and selling apps and music and such, how it would it harm them to open up Google Play to BB10 users. Thoughts anyone?
    08-31-13 11:14 AM
    If Google makes no money off of Android other than advertising and selling apps and music and such, how it would it harm them to open up Google Play to BB10 users. Thoughts anyone?
    I think Google would prefer to let BB die then they can get more marketshare from BB immigrants :P, one less competitor (no matter how smaller it is), one less worry.
    08-31-13 11:18 AM
    In order to be Google Apps compliant, the OS has to have a lot of Google Specifics built into it, including Google Framework for account verification. It is not as easy as just loading up the Google Play Store and gaining access. Amazon's tablets are a forked version of Android, and don't have access to Google Play. The Nook tablet had to adjust their OS to be Google compliant, and they now have access to the Google Play store and other Google apps.

The Android Player on BlackBerry 10 isn't a full-blown Android operating system. Because of that, I doubt that Google would approve BB10 as being fully Google compliant. The fact that Android is running on top of another OS would probably be enough for Google to deny any request.

Besides, Android apps have to be converted to .bar files before being installed onto a BlackBerry device. There would have to either be some conversion process built in, or change to allowing straight .apk files to be installed.

Plus, there is a small percentage of malware available in Google Play, and other Android app stores. By utilizing BlackBerry World, apps can be vetted for malware and other possible issues. Seeing that BlackBerry's reputation is based on security, I doubt they would want to open up the OS to possible issues out of their control.
    08-31-13 11:40 AM
    In order to be Google Apps compliant, the OS has to have a lot of Google Specifics built into it, including Google Framework for account verification. It is not as easy as just loading up the Google Play Store and gaining access. Amazon's tablets are a forked version of Android, and don't have access to Google Play. The Nook tablet had to adjust their OS to be Google compliant, and they now have access to the Google Play store and other Google apps.

The Android Player on BlackBerry 10 isn't a full-blown Android operating system. Because of that, I doubt that Google would approve BB10 as being fully Google compliant. The fact that Android is running on top of another OS would probably be enough for Google to deny any request.

Besides, Android apps have to be converted to .bar files before being installed onto a BlackBerry device. There would have to either be some conversion process built in, or change to allowing straight .apk files to be installed.

Plus, there is a small percentage of malware available in Google Play, and other Android app stores. By utilizing BlackBerry World, apps can be vetted for malware and other possible issues. Seeing that BlackBerry's reputation is based on security, I doubt they would want to open up the OS to possible issues out of their control.
    Thanks so much for clarification. I learned a lot from your post.

You can pry my BlackBerry from my cold, dead hands.
    08-31-13 09:56 PM
    The simple truth is that BlackBerry 10 ownership lacks sufficient numbers to warrant Google doing anything. It is as if a fly landed on an elephants trunk.
    08-31-13 10:40 PM
    Don't forget that BB is making money when an app is sold on BB World.
    If BB opens to Google Play, they are going to lose a significant share of money, and also will get tons of problems like "oh, this app doesn't work, that app doesn't work"
    09-03-13 04:11 AM
    NO

It would destroy any hope BlackBerry has of having their own ecosystem - and the profits they would make from it would ALL go to Google. No reason for Developer to build for BlackBerry when an app they are already doing for Google would work.

Why would Google want to help BlackBerry? They like app sales, of course. But Google wants you to be running their devices they are geared to use their key apps - gmail, maps, search... that all leads you back to their advertising partners and the way that Google makes their real money. BlackBerry would have to acknowledge Android and meet all the requirements that any other OEM has to in order to license Android. You would have little green guys appearing all over your phone.
    09-03-13 09:46 AM
    NO

It would destroy any hope BlackBerry has of having their own ecosystem - and the profits they would make from it would ALL go to Google. No reason for Developer to build for BlackBerry when an app they are already doing for Google would work.

Why would Google want to help BlackBerry? They like app sales, of course. But Google wants you to be running their devices they are geared to use their key apps - gmail, maps, search... that all leads you back to their advertising partners and the way that Google makes their real money. BlackBerry would have to acknowledge Android and meet all the requirements that any other OEM has to in order to license Android. You would have little green guys appearing all over your phone.
    The Android player already basically destroyed any hope of BB10 having any decent app ecosystem.

As for services, BB cannot compete with Microsoft and Google, or even Apple which is much worse than the top two. Google's services on BB10 would only improve the OS, compared to what they already have.
    09-04-13 10:07 AM