The whole idea of getting chen... is for him to get BB at the top again... (He once described Blackberry) - As 'We was once the king of the hill'

so when he reaches that hill is he gonna leave or stay with us for many many years?

Just curious.
    04-04-15 05:19 PM
    Can we say "Thorsten Heins"?
    04-04-15 05:24 PM
    I think the more important question is, "Will BlackBerry become a major success again?".

Posted from a D618
    04-04-15 05:33 PM
    I think the more important question is, "Will BlackBerry become a major success again?".

Posted from a D618
    In chen we trust.
    04-04-15 05:57 PM
    Chen has a five year contract of which there's about 3.5 years left. He may choose to retire after that, who knows.

That's assuming BlackBerry is not sold by then.
    04-04-15 07:28 PM
    In chen we trust.
    Why, what has he done to earn that blind trust?
    nyfinch and kbz1960 like this.
    04-04-15 07:30 PM
    The whole idea of getting chen... is for him to get BB at the top again... (He once described Blackberry) - As 'We was once the king of the hill'

so when he reaches that hill is he gonna leave or stay with us for many many years?

Just curious.
    BlackBerry at the top again? Ever?

Now that's good funny!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 07:37 PM
    Chen has a five year contract of which there's about 3.5 years left. He may choose to retire after that, who knows.

That's assuming BlackBerry is not sold by then.
    His objective might be to sell the company within his tenure, at a substantial profit, and reap the rewards. Didn't Watsa and Co give him a **** load of stock options?
    If Chen cannot switch BlackBerry back into the black I highly doubt anyone else can. Only option reminding at that point would be to sell it off piece by piece.

They laugh at my because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-04-15 08:12 PM
    Why, what has he done to earn that blind trust?
    Sybase? he did good there... lol
    04-05-15 05:05 AM
    If he succeeds, he will be taken to the Heavens in a chariot pulled by 8 winged horses. From then on, he will be seen in people's dreams only, in times of great doubt and fear.
    JeepBB and jojo beaconsfield like this.
    04-05-15 05:27 AM
    Sybase? he did good there... lol
    He did. Then sold it to SAP.
    04-05-15 07:20 AM
    I still think the goal for Watsa is to sell the company. My guess is that they are grooming a sale to Samsung. Sourcing components to get the OS working with modern screens and the Exynos processor. My guess is that when Samsung were exploring the idea like the leaks stated they were, they decided to take things for an extended test drive to make sure it is worth the purchase.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 08:12 AM
    Who knows how long it would take for BlackBerry to be be back in the reckoning.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 08:31 AM
    I still think the goal for Watsa is to sell the company. My guess is that they are grooming a sale to Samsung. Sourcing components to get the OS working with modern screens and the Exynos processor. My guess is that when Samsung were exploring the idea like the leaks stated they were, they decided to take things for an extended test drive to make sure it is worth the purchase.
    Or selling the handset division to them someday while leaving the rest of the company in tact.
    04-05-15 09:07 AM
    He did. Then sold it to SAP.
    Sure did...

After turning it around and building it up and turning 55 consecutive profitable quarters. He's only done 2 with BlackBerry... We have some time yet.
    04-05-15 09:24 AM
    Or selling the handset division to them someday while leaving the rest of the company in tact.
    Very IBM-ish.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 09:29 AM
    The handset division is worthless to anyone. Everyone else can make phones cheaper now. BlackBerry doesn't even use their own handset division for all their devices now because others can do it better. BlackBerry might even be using Samsung to build the slider. At their peek they were only building about 13 million devices per quarter. This wouldn't be enticing to any manufacturer that I can see.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 09:31 AM
    Sure did...

After turning it around and building it up and turning 55 consecutive profitable quarters. He's only done 2 with BlackBerry... We have some time yet.
    But from the Blackberry side of things were has that profitability mostly come? It hasn't come in handset sales and has come mainly from him slashing jobs. I don't think he's doing a bad job per say but he hasn't shown me that he can successfully build the handset marketshare and launch a successful product that was his. The Leap doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence though I can tell you that.
    04-05-15 11:00 AM
    But from the Blackberry side of things were has that profitability mostly come? It hasn't come in handset sales and has come mainly from him slashing jobs. I don't think he's doing a bad job per say but he hasn't shown me that he can successfully build the handset marketshare and launch a successful product that was his. The Leap doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence though I can tell you that.
    Has any handset launched in his tenure been successful, his or otherwise? I personally don't consider the Passport a success, even by BB10 sales numbers, and the Classic we have yet to have anything other than BlackBerry's word that it is selling well which quite frankly I've seen them be less than honest too many times to believe. Unless I see 2+ Million BlackBerry 10 devices sold this next quarter then the Classic is not a success IMO.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 11:46 AM

Posted from a D618
    Yes. May not be as it was back in the day, but yes the company will be successful in its own right. But IMO in about 5 years time, the majority of people will be using BlackBerry QNX enabled devices. iOS nor Android has the ability to expand any further without running into major issues.

Quote:
    QNX/BB10 is future-proof in the sense that it is infinitely expandable without creating bloat unlike iOS and Android.

Consider this:
    A blackberry Z10 gets about 8 hours of battery life, similar to the Iphone 6.
    The next generation Z30 gets 20 hours.
    The passport gets 25 hours on a single charge. and yet Apple keeps innovating faster and better chips but they can't increase their battery life.
    Apples software is nearing the end of its ability to grow without opening up a host of problems. Too many lines of code. Too many points of failure. Too much energy required to operate.

This is just the beginning as the QNX-based hardware of Blackberry, which by the way has patents for superior speakers and antenna and the best physical AND virtual keyboard. Just as two slightly unparallel lines will diverge greatly over distance so too will Blackberry's hardware/software capabilities begin to dwarf iOS and Android. It already is.
    I can truly multi-task and get 25 hours of battery life on my Passport. That's a pipe dream on any iOS or Android device.
    Blackberry is ahead of its time. But the collective will catch up when the superiority of its products becomes clearer and clearer.

In five years you will be using a QNX-based device.

Bet my bottom's dollar on it!
    04-05-15 11:50 AM
    Yes. May not be as it was back in the day, but yes the company will be successful in its own right. But IMO in about 5 years time, the majority of people will be using BlackBerry QNX enabled devices. iOS nor Android has the ability to expand any further without running into major issues.
    A non sourced quote is powerless. Whose professional and educated analysis am I looking at? I see nothing that shows anything, and the statement of an iPhone 6 only having 8 hours of battery life makes the source look even more questionable.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-05-15 12:44 PM
    H
    If Chen cannot switch BlackBerry back into the black I highly doubt anyone else can.
    It's a tough slog for anyone. Though there are a few Armchair CEOs at CrackBerry who seem to think their legendary business skills will provide the path to salvation for BlackBerry.

I'm still torn on whether or not he can do it; but suspect very few would be able to.
    04-05-15 12:48 PM
    Can we say "Thorsten Heins"?
    John Chen is a pretty different leader than Thorsten. (though I do think Thorsten did some good while there, like cleaning the C-staff out).
    04-05-15 12:50 PM
    John Chen is a pretty different leader than Thorsten. (though I do think Thorsten did some good while there, like cleaning the C-staff out).
    Heins was handed a bum hand. He had to get Bb10 launched in the inept corporate culture that Mike and Jim created and cut the fat at the same time. He did make some huge gaffss like no Bb10 for PlayBook and releasing BB10 well before it was ready on hardware that wasn't sufficient either. I think Chen is still dealing to with trying to purge that corporate culture even now. I don't like the stance that Chen has taken of completely ignoring the people that bought into BB10 early and catering to business with low end devices, but hopefully we'll see something positive by end of summer,or at least an announcement of what is coming.

Posted via CB10
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    04-05-15 01:18 PM
    The battery life claims you are making are completely ridiculous on both sides. The Z10 gets no where near 8 hours of battery life, it's battery life is an abomination. The Z30 gets no where near 20 hours of battery life. While its battery life is decent it's mainly do to the dim screen it has and not because BB10 is optimized for battery life. The Passport gets longer battery life because it has a massive battery in it, not because of any time of advancement in software. I own a Passport and an iPhone 6plus and the battery life is nearly identical for the two, with the Passport maybe getting an hour more battery life than the 6plus and the 6Plus has a smaller battery. Let's talk reality here because your claims you are quoting are nonsense.
    Magnetox and mikeo007 like this.
    04-05-15 01:41 PM
36 12