BlackBerry still produces good quality devices - the only problem is that not too many people desire them.

Where blackberry is strong is in the software department and security. Given that American government is spying on the whole world, security sounds appealing. Also the success of BBM proves that BlackBerry still has something to to offer as far as software is concerned.

I don't think that the company will ever relive its former glory, but it can definitely deliver a lot more than the QWERTY keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 06:18 AM
    I'm tempted to respond with a simple "No", because I reckon BB's fate was sealed the day they announced the sale that wasn't. It didn't surprise me when it all fell through as BB is the company that can't execute anything and I've always believed the $9 sale was a FF scam to set a price floor. Even FF didn't really want to buy BB.

I suppose it all depends on how you define comeback. I could see a rump BB that does BES and BBM only (having dropped the handset business entirely) making some kind of go of things, but a resurgent BB just like it was is just a dream... BB don't have the money or the time.

I read on another thread an admission that the latest OS leak (the direct apk one) isn't stable yet, and the poster estimated that it might take another year before it's consumer-ready.

Hands up all those who think BB has another year to sort themselves out?

I guess the next ER might give more clues as to whether that remaining time is measured in weeks or months... or years.
    Just like we read on another thread you sagging the company as usual. Where is the form the person said that? And is he one of those posters like yourself that is always negative? Maybe you should take heed and not always believe what you read on the internet.

They can very well survive if they take over the business side again and use their hardware that runs balance on the Bes side comfortable. Granted the side loading thing can hurt them but if fixed they will be just fine. They dont need a million and one features that kinda run ok like android or one kid based os to run on everything but really needs to be updated like apple, they just need to keep progressing and getting bb10 to what it can be.

With proper marketing, correcting the biased American hate media and convincing the " big app" people to give them a chance to make more money, which is totally stupid on any company to not get their product out on as many platforms as possible but that's another discussion altogether, they can find a spot and stay around for as long as they want to. Who cares about number one, how about just being stable and reliable. That one option that is always there providing the different experience that will always do what you need it to do, regardless of the pretty shiny back.

And yes haters will say too little too late they can go to the others, but when they aren't providing cause of their own short falls, need I mention adding nfc and bigger screens, or SD slots and easy battery access, people can come back to blackberry for the experience of some freedom.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    12-08-13 07:06 AM
    Just like we read on another thread you sagging the company as usual. Where is the form the person said that? And is he one of those posters like yourself that is always negative? Maybe you should take heed and not always believe what you read on the internet.

They can very well survive if they take over the business side again and use their hardware that runs balance on the Bes side comfortable. Granted the side loading thing can hurt them but if fixed they will be just fine. They dont need a million and one features that kinda run ok like android or one kid based os to run on everything but really needs to be updated like apple, they just need to keep progressing and getting bb10 to what it can be.

With proper marketing, correcting the biased American hate media and convincing the " big app" people to give them a chance to make more money, which is totally stupid on any company to not get their product out on as many platforms as possible but that's another discussion altogether, they can find a spot and stay around for as long as they want to. Who cares about number one, how about just being stable and reliable. That one option that is always there providing the different experience that will always do what you need it to do, regardless of the pretty shiny back.

And yes haters will say too little too late they can go to the others, but when they aren't providing cause of their own short falls, need I mention adding nfc and bigger screens, or SD slots and easy battery access, people can come back to blackberry for the experience of some freedom.

Gosh, I'd forgotten all about that post of mine... I posted it weeks ago but, I guess you're a slow reader?

I'll take the liberty of summarising your post above, if I may.

BB's woes are all the fault of the global media conspiracy, and there's nothing inherently wrong with BB that effective marketing wouldn't solve. In addition, BB simply needs to retake the enterprise space, keep leaking OS improvements with the aim of "getting bb10 to what it can be", and convince those pesky "big app" holdouts to bring their apps onto BB10.

You should email John Chen, he may not have thought of those things. Perhaps he'll use some of your strategic thinking at the ER.

As to your sign-off, I'd always considered BB to be a company, not a cult.
    milo53 likes this.
    12-08-13 08:14 AM

I actually read your post and it has an interesting variety of words and some punctuation. Thanks.
    12-08-13 08:57 AM
    Besides leaking OSes (from Elite Leakers), everyone has forgotten that sideloading applications is an easy solution to the app gap. Right?

Too little too late. There is nothing here that can convince people to switch to BB10. Even BB7 users haven't bought this line.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-08-13 09:55 AM
    Gosh, I'd forgotten all about that post of mine... I posted it weeks ago but, I guess you're a slow reader?

I'll take the liberty of summarising your post above, if I may.

BB's woes are all the fault of the global media conspiracy, and there's nothing inherently wrong with BB that effective marketing wouldn't solve. In addition, BB simply needs to retake the enterprise space, keep leaking OS improvements with the aim of "getting bb10 to what it can be", and convince those pesky "big app" holdouts to bring their apps onto BB10.

You should email John Chen, he may not have thought of those things. Perhaps he'll use some of your strategic thinking at the ER.

As to your sign-off, I'd always considered BB to be a company, not a cult.
    Nope not a slow reader. Just don't live on the forums looking to cause trouble like yourself with negative comments, but hey, whatever makes ya smile at the end of the day.

You can't deny the negative press having an effect, if you do your more in denial then I supposedly am. And while all cell phone companies have their flaws, marketing is a big one at BlackBerry, again the denial post above, of course your not going to sell if no one knows.

And as far as enterprise, the company cones out with a solution to support all three phone companies and people want them to falter. To deny a secure solution that a company has been providing for years to businesses because of a stigma attached to a name is equally dumb.

Coming into the forums and saying they are dead and blah blah blah is not giving the benefit of the doubt. If any of this was considered, things may be in a different place.

And no not a cult, just a little shot at the negative nancies coming on here constantly hating on a company. Canadian born supporting Canadian made, would be foolish not to right? Have a good day.

12-08-13 12:11 PM
    BB needs to produce some new commercials with that extra billion dollars. Use Alicia Keys to pitch the product and make it look consumer friendly. At least make it look like your company is making a comeback.
    Alicia Who?

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 01:39 PM
    Even with the extra billion I fail to see exactly how they could make a comeback. Let's be completely honest, does blackberry really stand a chance? Even with the new CEO, they would need a miracle to survive the handset business. I love to stay optimistic but I just don't see how BB is going to do it.
    The handset business is just a small part of their future. They have machine to machine, mobile phone management, BBM, SEM for mobile payments etc.
    12-08-13 01:42 PM
    Investors have to realize that they don't need to get 20% of the smartphone market to be profitable.
    They have downsized and the market itself it growing rapidly.
    Plus, they can get revenues from their NOC and BBM, if all goes well.
    There are so many possibilities that betting against them doesn't make sense.
    Mr. Chen should outline this to Wall St.
    12-08-13 01:55 PM
    I'm skeptical of a strategy that says that if you fail at your main business, i.e. hardware, you automatically can sustain the company doing other things. I've never seen much evidence that Blackberry is all that strong at software - not when it's competing with the software giants like Google and Microsoft and tech startups that created new software segments.

Far from being a media conspiracy, the investment community seems to value the ongoing business at zero and pretty much good for just burning through cash.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-08-13 02:10 PM
    Investors have to realize that they don't need to get 20% of the smartphone market to be profitable.
    Someone should have told Sony, HP/Palm and Nokia. I guess they got out of the smartphone business when they didn't have to.
    12-08-13 02:15 PM
    Nope not a slow reader. Just don't live on the forums looking to cause trouble like yourself with negative comments, but hey, whatever makes ya smile at the end of the day.

You can't deny the negative press having an effect, if you do your more in denial then I supposedly am. And while all cell phone companies have their flaws, marketing is a big one at BlackBerry, again the denial post above, of course your not going to sell if no one knows.

And as far as enterprise, the company cones out with a solution to support all three phone companies and people want them to falter. To deny a secure solution that a company has been providing for years to businesses because of a stigma attached to a name is equally dumb.

Coming into the forums and saying they are dead and blah blah blah is not giving the benefit of the doubt. If any of this was considered, things may be in a different place.

And no not a cult, just a little shot at the negative nancies coming on here constantly hating on a company. Canadian born supporting Canadian made, would be foolish not to right? Have a good day.

I'm glad your reading speed seems to have improved.

As to your points:

1. Actually, I agree with you that press coverage is impacting on BB.

Where I disagree is with your assumption that this is due to some media conspiracy against BlackBerry, or that they are being unduly negative. In a reality where BB boasts that BB10 handset sales are exceeding expectations and then announces a billion dollar write-down; followed shortly thereafter by the company putting itself up for sale - only to cancel the sale a month later due to an absence of bidders; and then settle for a loan from the welcher who had previously promised to buy them and additionally sack their CEO. Given that narrative, you were expecting that the press would somehow present these roller-coaster and frankly farcical developments in a positive way? Really!?

2. BB Marketing is, and always has been, dreadful. Everyone knows this for a fact. Justin Beiber certainly knows that BB couldn't spot a marketing opportunity when offered on a plate. Every BB marketing campaign has sunk without trace and been ineffective. And BB does nothing about it. How is this anyone's fault except BB's?

3. I agree that BB's best shot is to pursue the Enterprise and Services area. You'll have read that in my original post. John Chen seems to agree with me. It's OK though, he's welcome to the CEO job.

I don't belong to this cult of yours where forever giving the benefit of the doubt, long after any doubt has been eliminated, is the done thing. So I'll continue to point out where reality lies, and you continue chanting and hoping for the best. Then we'll both be happy!

Good luck with the cult.
    milo53 likes this.
    12-08-13 02:17 PM
    I'm glad your reading speed seems to have improved.

As to your points:

1. Actually, I agree with you that press coverage is impacting on BB.

Where I disagree is with your assumption that this is due to some media conspiracy against BlackBerry, or that they are being unduly negative. In a reality where BB boasts that BB10 handset sales are exceeding expectations and then announces a billion dollar write-down; followed shortly thereafter by the company putting itself up for sale - only to cancel the sale a month later due to an absence of bidders; and then settle for a loan from the welcher who had previously promised to buy them and additionally sack their CEO. Given that narrative, you were expecting that the press would somehow present these roller-coaster and frankly farcical developments in a positive way? Really!?

2. BB Marketing is, and always has been, dreadful. Everyone knows this for a fact. Justin Beiber certainly knows that BB couldn't spot a marketing opportunity when offered on a plate. Every BB marketing campaign has sunk without trace and been ineffective. And BB does nothing about it. How is this anyone's fault except BB's?

3. I agree that BB's best shot is to pursue the Enterprise and Services area. You'll have read that in my original post. John Chen seems to agree with me. It's OK though, he's welcome to the CEO job.

I don't belong to this cult of yours where forever giving the benefit of the doubt, long after any doubt has been eliminated, is the done thing. So I'll continue to point out where reality lies, and you continue chanting and hoping for the best. Then we'll both be happy!

Good luck with the cult.
    Bravo!
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-18-13 12:38 AM
    I have read the thread about 4 weeks ago but I guess it is now very relevant again being days only from December 20 and BB financials for the quarter. The 20th will hopefully give some indication of the future and direction the company will take and hopefully finally banish the for sale notion. That alone did more damage and probably impacted on the company's ability to turn around. Perception unfortunately plays a huge role in business, whether we like it or not.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-18-13 02:00 AM
    Shall we say no they won't and move on so we don't have a few more years of this.

Posted from my Z30 via the CB app
    12-18-13 05:01 AM
    Shall we say no they won't and move on so we don't have a few more years of this.

I don't think Chen and co want to hear that. Didnt they just remove the for sale banner?

12-18-13 05:04 AM
    I don't think Chen and co want to hear that. Didnt they just remove the for sale banner?

BlackBerry have been on the brink of death for years according to many. It's like a broken record lool. Let's just enjoy our devices and hope for the best. My previous post was targeted at the thread title

m1kr0 likes this.
    12-18-13 05:22 AM
    The general consensus was that the BB10 launch was BlackBerry's last chance to save the company in its current guise, i.e. as a smartphone company with an end-to-end ecosystem. [1]

The launch failed.

So if BlackBerry does survive, its not going to be as a smartphone ecosystem/supplier. If they can pull something out of the fire on the enterprise software side, they may keep enough income coming in to keep the company alive. Its a big maybe though. There are a lot of enterprise software vendors out there. Right now a lot of companies are happy to have moved to a iPhone (or Android) using its built-in L2TP VPN client to connect using its built-in ActiveSync protocol to a corporate exchange server, as its mobile communications stack. BES10 is more than that, but in real word, its does little that a well managed VPN (and activesync) can't do.

BBM is doing ok (better than expected), but making zero income. They'll find it hard to monetize it, with so much competition out there. If they charge for BBM, watch whatever growth they had there disappear overnight.

They might do something in mobile payments, but that area is super crowded and BlackBerry have no obvious lead in the area.

So it might grind away at enterprise. One thing BlackBerry has proven to be good at, is cutting costs and employee numbers. They are down-sizing the company to try and match projected income, so the company can stay stable. By the time its achieved this, most of its cash reserves will be spent, so its a critical task, and one, I believe BlackBerry will achieve. It'll be a very different BlackBerry by then and will effectively have disappeared from the perspective of most CrackBerry fans.

Now, with a stable and almost invisible BlackBerry, the big question is, can they stage a comeback? Well, its not going to be in smartphones, which they will have effectively exited. Can they do what Apple has been very good at doing? Can they skate to where the puck will be? I've no idea where that actually is. Conventional wisdom is suggesting that "mobile computing" will be changing into a more "wearable computing", which smartphones are just one element of.

By way of example, as a hobby project, I am making a t-shirt that has an flexible, embedded LED display in it. The t-shirt listens to the sound around it. It connects via bluetooth to a smartphone (currently a Z10) and pushes the sound to a sound library (EchoNest). If the t-shirt determines a song, it displays the song on the display. Its a t-shirt for going to a bar with. And when you're talking to friends, your shirt is displaying the titles/artists of the music that is playing in the background.

Its a fun project. Its "wearable" computing.

Can BlackBerry pickup a future trend, and bring it to market as a highly desired product, before everyone else? Its the only comeback chance they have, and with their current state, its a long way off.

My 2c (euro!)

[1] http://crackberry.com/nobody-delusio...tting-it-right
    Last edited by jack918; 12-24-13 at 07:15 AM.
    12-24-13 04:48 AM
    What's scary is that the cash on hand they reported this quarter, much of it was a from convertibles issue and one time tax refund. Strip that out, and they're only left with $1.5 billion. They burned through $1.1 billion last quarter.
    milo53 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    12-24-13 12:19 PM
    Remain to be seen. They will need to come back with a bang.

Posted via the Amazing Q10 10.2.0.415
    12-24-13 12:29 PM
    This might be their last chance, I really hope that it will work out for them.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 01:11 PM
    To be or not to be...

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 01:12 PM
    I don't think Blackberry will have a bang kind of comeback like what happened to Apple when they had ipod. But I do think they will get better overtime! It's a business eco system sometimes you are up and at times you are down.

Vorkosigan likes this.
    12-31-13 01:15 AM
    I don't think Blackberry will have a bang kind of comeback like what happened to Apple when they had ipod. But I do think they will get better overtime! It's a business eco system sometimes you are up and at times you are down.

Lots of good points! Had the iPhone all the features right from the start? Wifi Hotspot? A massive, mature appstore? No.

It is still not feature-complete. NFC? HDMI? Miracast / Wifi Direct? SDcard slot? Native flash? This is all very useful and interesting stuff for business presentations on the go, as well as home users to watch a quick flick, native youtube or a full movie on the big HDMI flatscreen at a friend's, without carrying any extra device or a bulky hard disk.

You weigh it, I find these things as or more useful than a ton of extra apps. There is simply no app to download extra ports for your phone, nor will there ever be (not including the phone blocks project here!).

It just needs to be marketed properly. What a limited device the iPhone is, when you look at connectivity.

My name is Prem, I'm using BBM ... from my QuZe10 ...whatarhyme...
    12-31-13 01:58 AM
    I believe they will, and as a previous poster said it won't be with a big bang, they will simply turn the tide and ride it the other way.

I have a feeling that people are going to be taking a closer look at security this year. Between that and the improvements to Bb10, it makes BlackBerry a viable alternative to many who may have passed it over before.

Posted via CB10
    angieberry10 likes this.
    12-31-13 01:30 PM
50 12