Here's what happened:
    I just lost 8 bbm contacts in one day to WhatsApp. Why you ask? Groups are not good enough. Why? NOTIFICATIONS, that's why.

The group that i had was business-related. The main reason why they had bbm was because of the group we had on there. It's not like they were asking for the "cool" stuff from the consumer side (which wouldn't hurt to have by the way). They simply decided based on the majority that the group is migrating to WhatsApp, and i couldn't stop them from doing so because they're...right. Their argument was : WhatsApp is more consistent across all types of platforms and devices.

It's time to fix the notifications issue on other platforms for good. Just put it to bed already. You need to tackle this issue and make BBM consistent across all platforms.

To those who are going to reply, don't tell me "it's their settings/devices". They're a tech savvy bunch and know how to set up their devices/apps.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    11-12-14 08:11 AM
    they choose to move to another platform, let them , is out of your control on how people will react to bbm,I BBM my family in Argentina, Costa rica and USA via video/phone chat without any issues, we exchange pictures and or videos ,no problems, and some of them have iphone or sumsung,.
    11-12-14 08:20 AM
    agreed
    11-12-14 08:26 AM
    Not sure what the notification issue is. I don't really have any of my friends complain about notification problems on other platforms

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 08:26 AM
    I've had the same problem. Once with a family chat, two of us have a bb10 phone, two have androids and one has iPhone. Although all of them love blackberry, they couldn't stand the inconsistencies in BBM. Also in another group chat with my coaching staff, two have an iPhone, one n android, we switched to whatsapp because of the notification problems. This needs to be fixed!

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 12:03 PM
    So what was the notifications issue that specifically drove them to WhatsApp?
    At first, it was the history of the chats. I got that sorted out because I didn't know I can change the history from within the chat. My mind told me to go straight into group settings, but it was actually from within each chat you start.
    Then came the notifications, they always complained that the app simply goes to sleep and it wont show messages unless they open the app (which is absolutely useless, it's like opening my msn messenger to see if you said anything while I was offline/away), they said sometimes they got notifications and sometimes they didn't. No one knew what it depended on and why the inconsistency in notifications.
    I always told them to check their settings after an update, some say the settings were changed after the update, others say nothing changed. I have to be fair and say, they did stick by the app with all its flaws since its launch to other platforms, until 2 days ago. Don't really blame them. I believe it's a different experience on each device (droid devices and iphones). There isn't a standard across all devices (regardless of the OS). Android is on many devices, and the experience seems to be different on each make. It really shouldn't be that way.
    11-13-14 12:06 AM
    As you can see from this thread and from the few answers that it got, some say it's fine and it works, some say it isn't (including myself). There's a hole that needs to be plucked. I've said this before, group chats are arguably more popular on messaging apps than one-to-one chats. If Blackberry isn't going to improve on the basics, then regardless of what features they add, no one will care: the app isn't doing the simple tasks, why bother with the advanced features.

I'm crying out loud for BlackBerry to hear me on this. I've done everything in my power: Send feedback, send emails, post here, post on Icanmakeitbetter, take part in the beta and do the surveys, but they aren't listening. Someone from Crackberry needs to take it straight to the BBM team and let them know that they need to revise the basic features of the app. Please.
    Q10Bold and crackberry_geek like this.
    11-13-14 12:14 AM
    As you can see from this thread and from the few answers that it got, some say it's fine and it works, some say it isn't (including myself). There's a hole that needs to be plucked. I've said this before, group chats are arguably more popular on messaging apps than one-to-one chats. If Blackberry isn't going to improve on the basics, then regardless of what features they add, no one will care: the app isn't doing the simple tasks, why bother with the advanced features.

I'm crying out loud for BlackBerry to hear me on this. I've done everything in my power: Send feedback, send emails, post here, post on Icanmakeitbetter, take part in the beta and do the surveys, but they aren't listening. Someone from Crackberry needs to take it straight to the BBM team and let them know that they need to revise the basic features of the app. Please.
    I totally agree but it's too late now. They screwed up the cross platform launch. Many ppl tried it and signed up for a BBID and where are they now? Back to Whatsapp and don't even use BBM anymore.

It would take a very good product a very long time to regain ppls trust again.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 12:22 AM
    This problem is an issue between my brother and I, it seems that on android (my brother uses an M8) that if he is in an open chat the notification sound doesn't go off when he receives a new message, and if the phone goes into standby and he leaves BBM active he won't receive any BBM notifications the way around this is I have to "ping" him it can get frustrating at times.
    11-13-14 12:31 AM
    This problem is an issue between my brother and I, it seems that on android (my brother uses an M8) that if he is in an open chat the notification sound doesn't go off when he receives a new message, and if the phone goes into standby and he leaves BBM active he won't receive any BBM notifications the way around this is I have to "ping" him it can get frustrating at times.
    There ^^
    11-13-14 11:11 AM
    Yes, BBM team, please fix.
    We'd like to keep our BBM friends on Android... :-)

? ? ? Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    11-19-14 03:56 PM
    It's funny how no one really gives this thread any attention, yet it's so important. I've lost count of the people that tell me how BBM isn't consistent. Yet we ignore and chant " BBM is the best".
    11-20-14 11:27 PM
    It's funny how no one really gives this thread any attention, yet it's so important. I've lost count of the people that tell me how BBM isn't consistent. Yet we ignore and chant " BBM is the best".
    BBM is the best. When I works. :-)

X-platform kinks still need to be worked out, I guess Chen is aware of that.

11-23-14 05:29 PM
    BBM is the best. When I works. :-)

X-platform kinks still need to be worked out, I guess Chen is aware of that.

If he really was aware of it, he would have FIXED It by now. JC is a very consistent man. I just don't see his consistency when it comes to BBM.
    The way I see it is: the more features they add to the current inconsistent BBM, the more features they will have to go back and fix. Why build a house over sand?! Get the basics right!
    torco3 likes this.
    11-23-14 10:45 PM
    If he really was aware of it, he would have FIXED It by now. JC is a very consistent man. I just don't see his consistency when it comes to BBM.
    The way I see it is: the more features they add to the current inconsistent BBM, the more features they will have to go back and fix. Why build a house over sand?! Get the basics right!
    That's a nice bible quote you worked into your comment.
    I agree, they should fix stuff first.

On the other hand, they need to keep up with others and create a feature-complete offering and they need to add stuff in order to appeal to enterprise (new video conferencing thing, etc.)

�   Zzzzwipetypetapped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'....   �
    12-16-14 03:32 AM
    Here's what happened:
    I just lost 8 bbm contacts in one day to WhatsApp. Why you ask? Groups are not good enough. Why? NOTIFICATIONS, that's why.

The group that i had was business-related. The main reason why they had bbm was because of the group we had on there. It's not like they were asking for the "cool" stuff from the consumer side (which wouldn't hurt to have by the way). They simply decided based on the majority that the group is migrating to WhatsApp, and i couldn't stop them from doing so because they're...right. Their argument was : WhatsApp is more consistent across all types of platforms and devices.

It's time to fix the notifications issue on other platforms for good. Just put it to bed already. You need to tackle this issue and make BBM consistent across all platforms.

To those who are going to reply, don't tell me "it's their settings/devices". They're a tech savvy bunch and know how to set up their devices/apps.
    I know, I'm with you here.

Lost a group too yesterday. Groupchat or even picture sending is really bad.
    Thats sad :/

Posted via Q10Bold
    12-16-14 04:04 AM
    It is odd how whatsapp can create a somewhat smooth environment. Even before having the money that they have now being owned by FB. And yet BBM which was the king of messaging can't iron things out quicker.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    12-16-14 04:10 AM
    It is odd how whatsapp can create a somewhat smooth environment. Even before having the money that they have now being owned by FB. And yet BBM which was the king of messaging can't iron things out quicker.
    It's not odd - it's normal. WhatsApp has focus, because their app/service is all they do. BB is a fairly big company, but they're trying to focus on a dozen different things, and so even having substantially more resources, they aren't as efficient.

It takes exceptional leadership and excellent systems, managed well, to have good focus in many areas at the same time. BB definitely hasn't had that.
    12-17-14 03:35 PM
    Exactly! god-Chen has been a pathetic failure on the BBM front.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 04:26 PM
    I posted this in another thread:

To: BlackBerry's BBM team (if you are reading this!)

I love how BBM is improving but rate of improvement still needs to be speeded-up. Here is some collective feedback from my friends and myself.

1 ## Sharing ##

** 1a. Unable to share multiple files. If you go to pictures folder, select multiple pictures, and click share -> you can share them with WhatsApp Chat or WhatsApp Groups but not with BBM contacts, nor with existing BBM multiperson chats nor with existing BBM Groups. People want to be able to do that !!!!!!!!!!

** 1b.Unable to share different file types
    People want to be able to share not just pictures and videos but any kind of file type. Regardless whether they are using iOS BBM, Android BBM or Native BB10 BBM or Windows BBM.

** 1c. Multiplpe file sharing, multiple file-types sharing should work regardless of what BBM client you use (ios, Android or native BB). If you are in a multiperson chat, and some users are using iOS BBM, some Android and some native BB10 BBM, some sharing options don't work.

** 1d. You should be able to share with EXISTING multiperson chat. Even when you wan to share a single file, it doesn't show existing multiperson chat among sharing options.

**1e. (BUG): Select a channel post, share -> select contacts you want to share it with.
    Now, instead of sharing channel post with those contacts, what BBM does is, it INVITES all of those contacts into a multi-person chat and then shares it!! this is ridiculous. If I share something with my work-contact as well as personal-contact, they all end-up in ONE multiperson chat where they don't know each other and it becomes very very awkward.

**1f. Sharing should work in-line from chat window. From a 1:1 chat window, it already works. But in groups and multi-person chat it doesn't work always. And in multi-person and group-chats, your sharing options become limited. You should be able to share whatever you want to (and can) share in regular 1:1 chat window. Same options should be available in multiperson and group chats.

2 ## Message history management ##

** 2a. On WhatsApp, my friends are able to select a particular message and delete it. But on BBM, to get rid of a message, you have to DELETE the whole conversation.

** 2b. Retract/Timed Messages are great. But they are not replacement for message-delete feature. Suppose, you share a channel post (picture) with a contact. This contact does not want it BBM conversation history. So, now, this contact has to delete the WHOLE CONVERSATION history instead of being able to simply delete just the one post/message.

3. ## Emoticon Picker Tray ##

** 3a. When inserting emoticons/smileys in a message, you click on smiley icon, and pick an emoticon, and the emoticon tray closes as soon as you've selected a smiley. This is fine but sometimes (actually a LOT of times) people want to be able to insert multiple-emoticons. And opening emoticon tray everytime is a pain.
    (In WhatsApp, when you insert emoticon, the emoticon tray remains open and you can simply keep inserting emoticons until you are done!!!!)

4. ## D and R indicators for Group AND MultiPerson chats ##

** 4a. BBM doesn't display D and R notifications for group messages. WhatsApp does!!! Can you believe it? WhatsApp for longest time did not have "R" equivalent notifications. But now they do (blue checkmarks). Now WhatsApp even has D/R notifications for Group chats. WhatsAPP has ONE-UPPED BBM here. Come on, BBM!!!!!!!!!!!

5. ## FORCED (without user's consent) status updates ##

** 5a. If BBM becomes more popular (like WhatsApp has 600m users), you are going to have a law-suit in your hand,BlackBerry! If you download a sticker pack, or if you install BBM, or if you uninstall/re-install BBM, BBM automatically updates your status "I just bought XYZ sticker pack" "ABC just joined XYZ group". These status updates are WITHOUT user's consent. There is no way to opt-out of them. I believe you are going to have a law-suit some day - you are saved only because BBM hasn't become very popular yet.
    Right thing to do, ethical thing to do, is to allow user to OPT-OUT of such forced status updates.

When I download a sticker-pack, I don't want my WHOLE contact list to know that I have purchased a sticker pack!!!!

6. ## UI Speed ##

** 6a. On slightly older phones (S3 era, iPhone 4s era), BBM UI loads slower than other apps.

7. ## Message Delivery Reliability ##

** 7a. This has improved big time but still notice issues from time to time, specially on iPhone 4s era devices. But reliability of message delivery has indeed improved a lot over last couple of BBM versions and I hope further improvement is made to finally close this issue for good.

If you work for BlackBerry, I'd appreciate it if you could forward my feedback to BBM team.
    Posted via CB10
    Alvin Loh and anon(4216152) like this.
    12-22-14 12:34 AM
    ^^ this will probably take the BBM team 1-2 years to complete.
    12-22-14 12:15 PM
    BBM works fantastic no problem at all
    It is super and the best messaging app ever
    I deleted whatsapp because whatsapp is insecure, people u don't want to chat with u have access to u, but no so with BBM, BBM is the king of messenger. I love BBM

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 12:28 PM
    BBM works fantastic no problem at all
    It is super and the best messaging app ever
    I deleted whatsapp because whatsapp is insecure, people u don't want to chat with u have access to u, but no so with BBM, BBM is the king of messenger. I love BBM

Posted via CB10
    You have alot to catch up on.
    12-22-14 12:41 PM
    You can send any file type you want not just pictures! I sent a co-worker a cad file this morning.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 12:45 PM
    My biggest issue with BBM is the amount of delay time when a message is sent to a different OS other than another BB since i have noticed it can take from 1 minute to 20 minutes or longer . I use a Samsung S5 also and there is no indication on the main icon that a message has been received, it might sound like a small item but why the heck isn't it there visually. I don't care that it says BBM connected since I damn well know that I use BBM.
    12-22-14 12:52 PM
33 12