I caught this article today that Playboy put up.

It Happened to Me: I'm a Playmate and I Got Hacked | Playboy

She goes into detail about her experience and it would seem to me that she's not happy and wants something better. So why not BlackBerry?

I'd I was CEO I'd have a team that reaches out to high profile people. Some people might say whatever because she's a just a Playmate and doesn't have star caliber like people that suffered the fappening. But she's obviously has the voice of Playboy, who let her write an entire column on the issue.
    11-01-14 09:51 PM
    How do you know they don't? Also..

And this isn’t just Apple’s responsibility. There are plenty of other ways this could have happened.
    She's not stupid either. Using a BlackBerry doesn't instantly mean this could never happen. Heck, spend enough time looking and you'll see photos that were actually taken on BlackBerry's. In the grand scheme of it all, you can only blame Apple for a portion of it, as the files were also scraped from several other cloud services as well.

BlackBerry knows that as well, which is why they're not screaming from the rooftops to tell people to switch. The phone manufacturer is pretty irrelevant, it's the services you're attaching to it what counts. If you're uploading all your nudies to Dropbox instantly and your Dropbox gets hacked, then as a manufacturer you're instantly pulled into the conversation because it goes from 'Dropbox accounts hacked, nudies leaked' to 'BlackBerry devices compromised, Dropbox accounts hacked, nudies leaked'
    11-01-14 10:18 PM

She's not stupid either. Using a BlackBerry doesn't instantly mean this could never happen. Heck, spend enough time looking and you'll see photos that were actually taken on BlackBerry's. In the grand scheme of it all, you can only blame Apple for a portion of it, as the files were also scraped from several other cloud services as well.

BlackBerry knows that as well, which is why they're not screaming from the rooftops to tell people to switch. The phone manufacturer is pretty irrelevant, it's the services you're attaching to it what counts. If you're uploading all your nudies to Dropbox instantly and your Dropbox gets hacked, then as a manufacturer you're instantly pulled into the conversation because it goes from 'Dropbox accounts hacked, nudies leaked' to 'BlackBerry devices compromised, Dropbox accounts hacked, nudies leaked'
    You're 100% right. I just get a little crazy because I'm still a bit emotional over AT&T not offering the Passport yet. I literally can't even...
    11-01-14 10:42 PM
    I realize that BlackBerry's resources are pretty tied up right now, so if they need someone to meet with Amanda to talk about this personally, I will take one for the team.

Posted via BBCB10PP
    11-01-14 11:04 PM

The use of cloud services in combination with weak or easy-to-guess passwords is definitely a problem.

The phone platform used is secondary - as mentioned above - and we should not rub our hands and grin or point our fingers at other platforms too much, because it could backfire.

Tech reporting is not very fussy and accurate with facts, and the general bias against BlackBerry is certainly not helping...

:-)

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    11-03-14 03:20 AM
    I realize that BlackBerry's resources are pretty tied up right now, so if they need someone to meet with Amanda to talk about this personally, I will take one for the team.

Posted via BBCB10PP
    Lol, they would have to twist your arm to do it huh?

C002EFE5D The KUQO Group ..... Learn how to detect lies.
    11-03-14 02:52 PM

Posted via BBCB10PP
    I was about to say. Don't everyone rush all at once to try to "fix" this "problem."

Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 03:01 PM
    "And thanks to iCloud?s keychain feature, the hacker also had access to my Facebook, Twitter, Vine, and Instagram. "

Now I'm really regretting toggling the "sync to cloud" button on 10.3.1.1016's Password Keeper, without even knowing which "the cloud" it was going to.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 03:05 PM
    "And thanks to iCloud?s keychain feature, the hacker also had access to my Facebook, Twitter, Vine, and Instagram. "

Now I'm really regretting toggling the "sync to cloud" button on 10.3.1.1016's Password Keeper, without even knowing which "the cloud" it was going to.

Posted via CB10
    Have to assume that it's BlackBerry's.... Would be nice if it tied into BB Protect so you could view the info if the device were damaged or lost.

Of course it would be nice if BlackBerry had a real "Cloud" that could be use for a number of different features.
    11-03-14 03:30 PM
    How do the hackers find the user id first, before guessing the password? In both the Find my iPhone, and the iCloud hacking incidents, Apple puts the blame on the users password. Makes me wonder, how did they get the user id first?
    11-03-14 03:37 PM
    How do the hackers find the user id first, before guessing the password? In both the Find my iPhone, and the iCloud hacking incidents, Apple puts the blame on the users password. Makes me wonder, how did they get the user id first?
    It's not just an email?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 03:45 PM
    Lol, they would have to twist your arm to do it huh?

C002EFE5D The KUQO Group ..... Learn how to detect lies.
    What can I say? Being helpful is in my nature.

Posted via BBCB10PP
    11-03-14 06:00 PM
    It's not just an email?

Posted via CB10
    Maybe... so how do the hackers get all the starlets and playmates' real email addresses first??????
    11-03-14 06:59 PM
    Maybe... so how do the hackers get all the starlets and playmates' real email addresses first??????
    You would have to think that the accounts that were compromised used something obvious for a username, or something that could easily be linked to them through info available on the internet.
    11-03-14 07:42 PM
    You would have to think that the accounts that were compromised used something obvious for a username, or something that could easily be linked to them through info available on the internet.
    I can already see a booming new business for tech-security assistants that any company signing a rising star requires. They provide feedback on their tech usage habits, help set strong passwords that are regularly changed, and otherwise advise as to which products and/or services they should avoid. I'm actually surprised it isn't already standard operating procedure. Instead it seems these high profile people just pick their own latest gadgets without a care in the world.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 09:36 PM
    Anyone else find it ironic that she's complaining about people stealing her nude photos, when she poses nude fir playboy...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-03-14 09:43 PM
    Anyone else find it ironic that she's complaining about people stealing her nude photos, when she poses nude fir playboy...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    She doesn't seem to be complaining about that much at all. Seems like she's more concerned with someone having access to all of her accounts, contacts, and her address. That, and feeling like what little privacy she has was taken from her. Understandable...

Posted via BBCB10PP
    11-03-14 10:41 PM
    Lots of poor passwords and unlocked phones. I use encryption, the picture password, twenty some character password, BlackBerry Protect, and bes cloud services. I am protected better than most ios and droid. I though make sure my toddler doesn't mess with the phone, it would be wiped asap

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 07:39 PM
    I read an article about how a security firm that was hired to test a bank's security measures. They got through the banks firewall within an hour. They called up and got the info needed by fooling a person. All the security does nothing if it is not used properly.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 08:24 PM

Dropbox,box and all these services are locked with password and two factors authentication. Have they enabled two factor authentication ? Probably not.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 08:26 PM
    It's offered, not required
    And most people don't use it because it's less convenient. Which goes back to what we're talking about here, which is that, most of the time, USERS are the weakest link in the security chain. You'd be amazed at how many people use "Password1" as their password, or who use the same password on every account they have, which means if you can hack some recipe website they post on and get their password on the recipe site, you can get into every account they have everywhere. And what brand of phone they carry would be irrelevant - BB couldn't save them, and neither could Apple, Google, or Microsoft.
    11-11-14 08:31 PM
    And most people don't use it because it's less convenient. Which goes back to what we're talking about here, which is that, most of the time, USERS are the weakest link in the security chain. You'd be amazed at how many people use "Password1" as their password, or who use the same password on every account they have, which means if you can hack some recipe website they post on and get their password on the recipe site, you can get into every account they have everywhere. And what brand of phone they carry would be irrelevant - BB couldn't save them, and neither could Apple, Google, or Microsoft.
    So true. No lol'ing

You could just set up halfway interesting websites and start harvesting email addresses and passwords immediately ...

...once you have access to the email address, you could reset just about any other account linked to it.

I use alias email addresses and unique passwords.

Other favorites:
    names of kids, cats, dogs, husbands, wifes, DOB (duh!), street address, suburb, phone no., sports club, abc123, ....

It's not the users themselves, but rather their convenience ...

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    11-12-14 05:55 AM