Setup a news story as a commercial that maybe the world news will pick up. That is the story about mobil security and how BB fits in to solve that. State the state of mobil insecurity in a Snowden and the NSA fashion. Set it up as a whistle blowing news story on the industry, a warning to the wise enterprises who adopt BB and the Governments who count on them or would that be stepping on some toes ?

Case in point. Office Machines being retired and shipped over seas or elsewhere with information still on hard-drives. That news story on CBS blew up into something that rocked the whole industry and is burned into everyone's minds to this day. Thats all BB needs to do. Get the story of security in the news. Blow the whistle on the unsecure players and let the public decide. They will side with security . We will push over 777 Monday
    01-03-14 10:51 PM
    BlackBerry security has been discussed in this thread:-

NSA: able to hack BlackBerry

Doubt that the Blackberry (BIS and BES) is NSA proof, and even if it was, by marketing such feature it will only attract more resources to the NSA to break it.

How the NSA Spies on Smartphones Including the BlackBerry - SPIEGEL ONLINE
    01-04-14 01:17 AM
    Still a story about why governments and people who prefer security do use BB needs to be made. Since threats mostly come from NON NSA sources then this point is actually a good one and should be hammered into the public....some how. My angle about going about it would be the best way and is proven to make news and a difference.

Remember, most threats are not NSA related.
    01-04-14 11:10 AM
    The truth is that CONSUMERS (not enterprises, but normal individual consumers) generally don't care enough about security to change their minds about the phone/ecosystem they want. They assume/expect that whatever platform they want will be "good enough" and that it's the manufacturer's problem to deal with, not theirs. So if you're hoping that this would make any significant difference to normal consumers, you're wasting your time.

Enterprise already cares about security, which is why BB has always been so strong in that realm, but there are MDMs that are already making significant progress in securing the other platforms, or at least the critical enterprise portions, so that even enterprises are often leaving BB. Most regulated industries will be slower to move away from BB, but non-regulated businesses are running in droves to the other offerings, which, again, they consider "good enough". This is why John Chen is specifically targeting the "low-hanging fruit" of regulated businesses, and trying to retain them as BB customers FIRST. Once those are secure, he'll expand to fighting for other enterprises.

BB simply doesn't have the ability to compete in the consumer space, which is why they are no longer doing so. Until BB has strong success in the enterprise, and perhaps in emerging markets with their low-end Jakarta offering, you shouldn't expect any noticeable effort to go after mature market consumers, and John Chen is thinking that it will be at LEAST 2016 before that's the case. Assuming everything goes well for BB, that is.
    Laura Knotek and JeepBB like this.
    01-04-14 03:20 PM
    I dont have to hope it would change anyones mind because it already does and I am talking about real and actual results of a shocked and scared public when it comes to office machine security. The only delusional person about this topic could be just you.
    01-05-14 09:59 PM
    The truth is that CONSUMERS (not enterprises, but normal individual consumers) generally don't care enough about security to change their minds about the phone/ecosystem they want. They assume/expect that whatever platform they want will be "good enough" and that it's the manufacturer's problem to deal with, not theirs. So if you're hoping that this would make any significant difference to normal consumers, you're wasting your time.

Enterprise already cares about security, which is why BB has always been so strong in that realm, but there are MDMs that are already making significant progress in securing the other platforms, or at least the critical enterprise portions, so that even enterprises are often leaving BB. Most regulated industries will be slower to move away from BB, but non-regulated businesses are running in droves to the other offerings, which, again, they consider "good enough". This is why John Chen is specifically targeting the "low-hanging fruit" of regulated businesses, and trying to retain them as BB customers FIRST. Once those are secure, he'll expand to fighting for other enterprises.

BB simply doesn't have the ability to compete in the consumer space, which is why they are no longer doing so. Until BB has strong success in the enterprise, and perhaps in emerging markets with their low-end Jakarta offering, you shouldn't expect any noticeable effort to go after mature market consumers, and John Chen is thinking that it will be at LEAST 2016 before that's the case. Assuming everything goes well for BB, that is.
    Very well said, and accurate. I think BB is focused on this and Jakarta, and that's all. Chen means what he says, all else will be shelved until things pickup, hopefully. In addition, BB no longer has the resources to do much else.

In my biz, every PC that is removed from service (Govt) the HDD is pulled recorded then shredded by a authorized "destroyer of HDD's" after the DB has been initialized of course.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-05-14 10:11 PM
    Very well said, and accurate. I think BB is focused on this and Jakarta, and that's all. Chen means what he says, all else will be shelved until things pickup, hopefully. In addition, BB no longer has the resources to do much else.

In my biz, every PC that is removed from service (Govt) the HDD is pulled recorded then shredded by a authorized "destroyer of HDD's" after the DB has been initialized of course.
    Strange that even after Chen says explicitly that, as far as phone hardware is concerned, Jakarta is it (for now), many here won't have it so.

On topic: Every PC I stop using has the HD formatted, disassembled, and then each platter smashed into an interesting shape with my trusty 20oz lump hammer! It's probably a bit OTT... but I find wielding the lump hammer to be strangely soothing and calming after a hard day in the salt mines. LOL
    milo53 likes this.
    01-06-14 01:18 PM
    Not so sure why so many are so "fixated" on the NSA.... I for one would be more interested in what the Chinese, Russians and Iranians are capable of... afterall we all want privacy but at least hacked info is staying with a "friendly" governement with the NSA....
    01-08-14 12:42 PM