Of all my contacts, I seem to be the only one w a BlackBerry. Every has an iPhone or a Samsung. This is so sad...

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 01:27 PM
    Personally, I'm the only BlackBerry user in my admittedly limited circle of friends and acquaintances. Representation otherwise is split along user type, with IT-savvy people favouring Android and most anyone else going with iOS.

Professionally, in IT, I'm equally unique. The company dropped BES in 2010 and moved to BYOD utilising secure VPN for anything sensitive. The only people that use iOS devices are those heavily leveraged in iTunes and ecosystem integration across phone, tablet and desktop/notebook.

When out, I'm very observant about tech usage because that sort of selection in the general populace fascinates me on a sociological level. I can say that I have never once seen another BB10 device in the wild, and only the odd BBOS unicorn from someone over the age of forty.

I live in the eastern US, and make frequent trips to NYC and the triangle. For those that are curious, I use a Z10 and am switching to the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 07:36 PM
    In the US, it seems the Android/IOS monopoly continues. I truly believe this app craze will pass and settle into a short list of truly valuable apps and the rest will fade into history. Application tonnage has always seemed rather juvenile pursuit to me and I think it will run it's course. I don't believe Blackberry will ever be again the choice for teens or the causal user as it moves closer and closer to the secure enterprise market.

That's OK for me......carrying an adult device seems the right choice for me.
    phuoc likes this.
    05-04-15 07:21 PM
    In the US, it seems the Android/IOS monopoly continues. I truly believe this app craze will pass and settle into a short list of truly valuable apps and the rest will fade into history. Application tonnage has always seemed rather juvenile pursuit to me and I think it will run it's course. I don't believe Blackberry will ever be again the choice for teens or the causal user as it moves closer and closer to the secure enterprise market.

That's OK for me......carrying an adult device seems the right choice for me.
    An adult device that doesn't even allow you, the adult, to choose your own icons?

A week or so ago I decided to put down my Q10/Z10 and get a basic Android phone. Despite the specs of my android being much less than the BlackBerry, I am very pleased with its capabilities, so much so that I don't even miss the BB. I don't miss it at all.

It is easy to do things on the android, such as access my Windows / SMB shares and use the OneDrive / One Note software - two things this adult never saw work properly on BB10. I can use the Ghostety browser and have a data saving, ad free, web experience that has proven to be shockingly more compatible than the BB browser and the Evolution browser I used on BB10. In fact I does everything I want and I didn't have to fight with it to make it happen. And I don't even use games or social networking crap (unless Crackberry counts).

Now that I have given Android a fair shake, I see why so many people are happy to use it. Makes me feel like I should have gone Android instead of getting the Z10 back in 2013. And that is coming from a big BB fan and 5 year is user...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-04-15 10:22 PM
    By coincidence with this thread, I got a call from a neighbor over the weekend. He said he heard from the woman who cuts our hair that I had a BlackBerry and he wanted to talk to me about it. This guy is about my age (60+), and currently has a crappy old Android phone, which has been giving him problems. It became clear after about 30 seconds that he doesn't really know much about Android or smartphones in general.

I showed him my Passport and he was very impressed. He loved the keyboard and said he didn't know that they still made phones like that. Said he has a hard time typing on his Android phone. I said I know, because his original text message to me asking if he could stop by was gibberish. He didn't even know that Swype existed.

I asked him what he does with his phone. Answer: calls, text, email, web, navigation, LinkedIn, Facebook. I asked him if he used any other apps. He said he uses the Wells Fargo app, the CVS pharmacy app, not much else. I explained that he could do all this on a BlackBerry, and he could use the Wells Fargo mobile web site, which works fine for everything but mobile check deposit, which he doesn't use anyway (I wasn't surprised). He asked about document support, so I showed him a Word document, a spreadsheet, and a Power Point, in Docs To Go. Then I showed him the Hub and how to peek into it. That was it; he was completely sold.

It didn't matter that he could of course do all these things, except the Hub, on any Android device. He just liked the style of the BlackBerry. And he certainly liked the wide screen and keyboard of the Passport.

This "adult" user is certainly an ideal customer in a lot of ways, but certainly not similar to the rising generation of users. BlackBerry has to think about future customers, but they could probably make some money in the short run marketing to "mature" users who are much less tied into apps.
    Tatwi, phuoc and Sulaco757 like this.
    05-05-15 08:23 AM
    The Passport is a really unique device that is well suited to "old people", for its larger design, physical keyboard, and ultra simple UI. Navigation of the UI elements on BB10 is far more consistent than Android, though they both generally accomplish the same thing. For anyone who is like the stereotypical " old person", the Passport is a winner. I imagine it would be pretty good for writers too.

The Classic and Q10 fill a niche as well, but when a pushing 40 Qwerty4Lifer like me can have a good time on an Android all touch and not miss the Q10, I can see that niche becoming even smaller. The all touch blackberries are just as good as any other OS for a lot of things, but there are areas where other operating systems shine above them.

Anyhow, I have always said all touch isn't for everyone, especially we old folks lol... I only like this android because it's auto correct is actually quite awesome. The one on my Z10 did little more than **** me off...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-05-15 11:33 AM
    The Passport is a really unique device that is well suited to "old people", for its larger design, physical keyboard, and ultra simple UI. Navigation of the UI elements on BB10 is far more consistent than Android, though they both generally accomplish the same thing. For anyone who is like the stereotypical " old person", the Passport is a winner. I imagine it would be pretty good for writers too.
    I'm considering getting a Leap for my wife. She currently has a OnePlus One, but she does find the Android interface confusing. Specifically, she forgets the distinction between notifications and actual messages, so for example she'll swipe away a notification thinking she deleted a message, but of course she didn't. She also has trouble remembering to use the Recent Apps button, so she tends to use Home and then go digging through app icons again, to get back to something. At least in BB10 when you "close" an app you first see it as an active frame, along with any other active frames, so you get a visual reminder of what activities are in progress.

She's not interested in a physical keyboard, though.
    05-05-15 12:06 PM
    I'm considering getting a Leap for my wife. She currently has a OnePlus One, but she does find the Android interface confusing. Specifically, she forgets the distinction between notifications and actual messages, so for example she'll swipe away a notification thinking she deleted a message, but of course she didn't. She also has trouble remembering to use the Recent Apps button, so she tends to use Home and then go digging through app icons again, to get back to something. At least in BB10 when you "close" an app you first see it as an active frame, along with any other active frames, so you get a visual reminder of what activities are in progress.

She's not interested in a physical keyboard, though.
    This... ^

Multi-Window operation just like a PC in miniature...

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    05-05-15 07:26 PM
    Quite a good number here in Montreal. Even more when I'm at the airport. Even more than that when I'm in the Air Canada lounge in Toronto.

I'm not saying it's great, but I am saying that there are quite a few out there in Montreal and Toronto.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 06:38 PM
    For those of you who live in NA? What's the BlackBerry marketshare/mindshare like? Do you see others with BB10 devices out and about?

Here in Singapore/Malaysia and Australia, it's almost impossible to spot any BlackBerry 10 devices. Quite sad, and I fear for the future of BlackBerry.

Do chime in.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. I'm not seeing any at all. Except for my wife's Z30 - everyday.
    05-25-15 09:28 PM
    Terrible here in LA, but I get lots of: "is that a BlackBerry? I want one but (insert carrier) doesn't sell it", "can I see it?", "where did you get it?", "is that the new BlackBerry?", "oh I miss my BlackBerry", and "I'm so tired of touchscreens; I want a phone with a keyboard."

I do occasionally see a BlackBerry Classic, Passport and Q10 here and there.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 09:44 PM
    The only other BlackBerry I have seen in the last couple of years was my brothers Z10. He dumped it a few weeks ago for an Android phone. Apps was the reason.
    When people hear I am using a BlackBerry, eyebrows often raise, followed by "A BlackBerry???".
    I am on Long Island NY. The BlackBerry name is dead here, and not many people know anything about BB10.

Posted via CB10
    I used to get that too but it has started changing a few months ago, before the release of the Passport over Shop BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 09:46 PM
    Personally, I'm the only BlackBerry user in my admittedly limited circle of friends and acquaintances. Representation otherwise is split along user type, with IT-savvy people favouring Android and most anyone else going with iOS.

Professionally, in IT, I'm equally unique. The company dropped BES in 2010 and moved to BYOD utilising secure VPN for anything sensitive. The only people that use iOS devices are those heavily leveraged in iTunes and ecosystem integration across phone, tablet and desktop/notebook.

When out, I'm very observant about tech usage because that sort of selection in the general populace fascinates me on a sociological level. I can say that I have never once seen another BB10 device in the wild, and only the odd BBOS unicorn from someone over the age of forty.

I live in the eastern US, and make frequent trips to NYC and the triangle. For those that are curious, I use a Z10 and am switching to the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Good for you John, that's the very same path that I took and truly pleased with my PP... 3 months in a still very satisfied !!

Posted from my Kick@ss AT&T Passport.
    05-26-15 10:59 AM
    In Kitchener, ON, I see BlackBerry on a regular basis, actual daily.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 11:20 AM
    Seen another Passport here in Woburn Mass earlier today.

Posted from my Kick@ss AT&T Passport.
    05-26-15 12:27 PM
    After almost 3 years I just saw my first BlackBerry 10 device in public. Was a VA Worker who had a z30.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 11:31 AM
    Actually that's a funny question to me, I also look for people with BlackBerry phones, Honda I see a LOT in canada, iv seen Teens have them (At school), iv seen adults on the subway (looked like business men) and iv talked to some people who only carry BlackBerry products as we are Very proud of our country and only carry the stuff from Canada. But honestly iv seen a lot here in Ontario Canada (Canada's wonderland [theme park] I have seen many). Also I thought I should mention, people say BlackBerry doesn't put adds out, but every website I'm on has a blackberry add, in Toronto there are so many adds, on Crackle there are adds, I see adds everywhere (Except actual TV) So I think here they are promoting themselves alright

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 01:24 AM
    Dead as a nail in the U. S.

Via my HTC One M9...
    08-10-15 08:09 AM
    In Kitchener, ON, I see BlackBerry on a regular basis, actual daily.

Posted via CB10
    Surprise, haha ... ;-)

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    08-10-15 05:26 PM
    I lived in UK for a while - a country once considered BlackBerry stronghold. Now the mighty Apple and android run the show there. I lived in Poland for some time, and it appears that android and windows is doing very well there, Apple is too expensive. In Australia iPhone is a religion, however people are slowly realising that Android is as good if not better.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 07:12 AM
    It's probably worth noting the difference between Canada and the U.S. in terms of North American sentiment toward BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    How about Mexico?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 09:36 AM
    I'm in Edmonton and have a z30 for pers use and bought a Bold 9900 for work. I met up with a guy the other day for work and he had a Passport. I told him I was either going to be upgrading to a Passport or get a Classic.
    He was nice enough to let me test out his Passport.
    My wife has a Z10 and will be upgrading to a Leap soon.
    My 3 oldest boys all have iphones and never say anything negative about them because they know I'd bug the hell out of them for being Isheep. Lol
    At work there are quite a few BlackBerrys in use because I work for the Feds.
    I do try and promote "shop Canadian " to as many as I can.
    Can't wait to upgrade soon to PP or Classic, still trying to decide. : (

Posted with my Rockin' Z30 on Bell
    Trishaines likes this.
    09-10-15 02:42 AM
    Actually that's a funny question to me, I also look for people with BlackBerry phones, Honda I see a LOT in canada, iv seen Teens have them (At school), iv seen adults on the subway (looked like business men) and iv talked to some people who only carry BlackBerry products as we are Very proud of our country and only carry the stuff from Canada. But honestly iv seen a lot here in Ontario Canada (Canada's wonderland [theme park] I have seen many). Also I thought I should mention, people say BlackBerry doesn't put adds out, but every website I'm on has a blackberry add, in Toronto there are so many adds, on Crackle there are adds, I see adds everywhere (Except actual TV) So I think here they are promoting themselves alright

Posted via CB10
    Internet Adds are not a good gauge of how much advertising BlackBerry is doing.

You can target Countries, Regions even Towns (I would imagine that the do spend more in Canada), and then you can also pick what key words from searches you have made will cause those adds to pop up. If it's "smartphone", then I'd say if was a good general advertisement. If the keyword is "BlackBerry"... how many people are typing that in to begin with?

I think when most people think that BlackBerry is out of business already, and sales are under 1 million devices a quarter.... that "alright" is not a word I would chose to describe how BlackBerry is promoting themselves... JMHO
    09-11-15 08:12 AM
    This thread needs an update after the Slider launch... :-)

Hoping for some good news...

�   Qchen, new keyboard, new leak, new life... :-)   �
    09-15-15 01:34 AM
    I am in NE North Carolina near the Outer Banks. Last time and really the ONLY time I have seen a BB10 in the wild was shortly after the Classic came out. I was in an elevator at a hospital and a young woman had a Classic. That's it.

I used to have a business colleague that had a Z10 a couple of years ago. He moved on to Windows Phone.

Not much here.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-15-15 01:55 AM
96 1234