How is BlackBerry going to get innovative to deal with the retailer problem? BlackBerry needs to come up with something where people become interested in much greater quantities (we all know only to well...). Advertizing will help, but how much? I love my BlackBerry product (BB10), keep it moving. Innovation, education, and in your face advertizing may go a long way for the boost. The key factor is how it will be implemented. Retailers will remain unempressed until BlackBerry brings the public to their doorsteps in greater numbers demanding BlackBerry phones. I dream of a day when this "greater number" will come to pass. John Chen needs to come up with something good, something catching, something people will love to talk about, and want to be a part of. Something pro BlackBerry with a twist. (all encompassing mobile experience extraordinaire). Where Dreamers have fun believing... Something reviting. Raising the bar of mobile computing. There is no looking Back for BlackBerry. Where dreamers have fun, believing... Make it happen.
    11-25-13 06:46 AM
    How is BlackBerry going to get innovative to deal with the retailer problem? BlackBerry needs to come up with something where people become interested in much greater quantities (we all know only to well...). Advertizing will help, but how much? I love my BlackBerry product (BB10), keep it moving. Innovation, education, and in your face advertizing may go a long way for the boost. The key factor is how it will be implemented. Retailers will remain unempressed until BlackBerry brings the public to their doorsteps in greater numbers demanding BlackBerry phones. I dream of a day when this "greater number" will come to pass. John Chen needs to come up with something good, something catching, something people will love to talk about, and want to be a part of. Something pro BlackBerry with a twist. (all encompassing mobile experience extraordinaire). Where Dreamers have fun believing... Something reviting. Raising the bar of mobile computing. There is no looking Back for BlackBerry. Where dreamers have fun, believing... Make it happen.
    There are many folks also waiting for something positive to happen in marketing..
    11-25-13 06:51 AM
    Might be simpler to move out of the consumer market totaly and not even try to compete in that market.... at least for now.
    milo53 likes this.
    11-25-13 08:38 AM
    Unless BlackBerry agrees to hop into bed with the big carriers and install spy ware like CarrierIQ on its phones, ain't nothing BlackBerry can do to get love out of the salescritters.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    11-25-13 03:57 PM
    Na, no need to get out of the consumer market. Will harm their public image even more. Everybody will say: see, we told you BB is a gonner. Best to battle on and win over the consumer one consumer at a time. May take another year for the turnaround, but it will come.
    11-25-13 04:05 PM
    Unless BlackBerry agrees to hop into bed with the big carriers and install spy ware like CarrierIQ on its phones, ain't nothing BlackBerry can do to get love out of the salescritters.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    IMO BlackBerry needs more sales reps in carrier stores to show them how it's done. You know showing them more love, and more knowledge of the products.
    11-25-13 08:33 PM
    Na, no need to get out of the consumer market. Will harm their public image even more. Everybody will say: see, we told you BB is a gonner. Best to battle on and win over the consumer one consumer at a time. May take another year for the turnaround, but it will come.
    Agree, one step at a time, hard work, belief, and smart marketing.
    11-25-13 08:35 PM
    IMO BlackBerry needs more sales reps in carrier stores to show them how it's done. You know showing them more love, and more knowledge of the products.
    I hate to say this because I like BB10, but BlackBerry first needs a better product. The app gap is a big thorn, but even if that were addressed, it's not enough. You can't expect to come from [way] behind by having a product that is, at best, just as good as your competitors'; just ask HTC or look at Suzuki and Volvo in the automotive space.

I don't know if BBRY needs to exit the consumer and/or handset markets, but it needs to narrow its target customer audience. IMO, it should target the corporate user. And by user I don't just mean the IT department; I mean the individuals at these companies that clung (and maybe still cling) to their Blackberries for as long as they could. And BBRY needs to build the best mobile experience for these users that it can.
    11-25-13 11:16 PM
    It is never over, even after it is over. Just look at how many Brands with the right plans re-invented themselves.

Blackberry is finally getting into the zone. And, they are executing well against some key items. This is what the new CEO has to do. Focus focus focus.

Agree with the sentiment - they need to get a better product. That means Hardware because that is the "easy" comparison that all the blogs and mags make. Who has the better pixel density, who has better screens, more blah blah blah.
    But there needs to be more. They also have to really highlight the key differences of the BB. Look how much bull Apple made over the fingerprint reader. Suddenly all the prognosticators say that the fingerprint reader will change the world! yeah, right.

BB needs to put out a genuinely sexy phone (in their own design style), and then start to hammer why Blackberry. And show off distinctly Blackberry stuff like Hub, BBM, Channels, Picture Password, etc. BB is doing good work. They need a good product, and good marketing.
    11-26-13 10:10 PM
    I thought the announcement was made last Q2, exiting the consumer biz. The elimination of the CMO is proof. This guy is going after the money making services, sadly hardware is losing.
    11-27-13 02:13 PM
    I thought the announcement was made last Q2, exiting the consumer biz. The elimination of the CMO is proof. This guy is going after the money making services, sadly hardware is losing.
    John Chen (new CEO) recently added in press release WATERLOO, ONTARIO-November 25, 2013

Said BlackBerry will:

-work to facilitate the turn-around

-work to drive innovation

-work to "ensure we deliver the best devices"...

Based on these remarks I would conclude BlackBerry intends to continue with the whole package (both software and hardware) just better. Some people believe eliminating CMO position is really not that significant. Possible advantages outside of the obvious (saving money), it could create a stronger more direct line of communication between the CEO with the workers in all aspect of marketing. I'll give Mr Chen credit here for his willingness to take control, and keeping things moving. I also trust John Chen. I figure he must have a better grasp on these matters than we do. I'm impressed by, and appreciate this display of conviction moving forward .
    11-27-13 09:54 PM
    80 of us just got let go today so don't expect to see that happening.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 04:24 PM
    80 of us just got let go today so don't expect to see that happening.

Posted via CB10
    Wow! I'm really sorry to hear more people lost jobs (again!) at BlackBerry. So many good people...
    Please accept my wishes for all of you, to find another job soon.
    12-04-13 09:29 AM
    Just a ship adrift, casting off the cargo and crew to lighten the load and stay afloat a few more qtrs, while putting a few more tires to cushion a hoped for landing....wherever that may be...but still taking on water from those incessant leaks and going down by the head.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 06:30 PM