Just a topic for discussion. Something big is said to happen next week. Next week, the deposits are due to participate in the Canadian spectrum licensing.

What if, as part of the money being raised to privatize Blackberry, Fairfax is looking at Wind/Mobilicity, and thinking of a fully integrated mobile network. This would give businesses and end-to-end solution, and fully capitalize on that B2B niche (at least in Canada). Canada would be a great testing ground to see if they wanted to expand this further abroad. They wouldn't have to wait for "carrier testing" and would exactly know the problems of the phone on a network, and tweak it for best in class BB performance. Of course there are negatives (like would current carriers continue selling BB10 devices), but it might be a bold move by a private financier.

Would you switch to BB Networks?

Purely hypothetical, but the discussion may be very interesting.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    09-12-13 09:18 PM
    Yes, it is hypothetical.
    09-12-13 09:42 PM
    Mobilicity is bankrupt. They have no money.

BBRY probably has next to no money left at this point.

Where do you think the capital will come from for this amazing expansion into the wonderful world of being a capital intensive carrier??
    09-13-13 12:09 AM
    让人想不到,戏弄铁杆粉吗!!!
    09-13-13 12:21 AM
    让人想不到,戏弄铁杆粉吗!!!
    What he said.
    09-13-13 01:08 AM
    让人想不到,戏弄铁杆粉吗!!!
    LOL

09-13-13 05:28 AM
    让人想不到,戏弄铁杆粉吗!!!
    Yeah, I agree. With a steady guiding hand, they could give Tim Horton's a run for their money.
    09-13-13 06:02 AM
    Yeah, I agree. With a steady guiding hand, they could give Tim Horton's a run for their money.
    Are you talking about powdered donuts? Lol
    09-13-13 08:19 AM
    3 billion in cash...hmmmm I would change to a BB network

From my Z10
    09-13-13 11:58 AM
    BlackBerry won't become a cell network because it would effectively tell Telus rogers and bell to stop selling it's phones. It would be the only Canadian network with BlackBerry running on it and we all can see that happening unless it leaves 1 market to join another.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 12:15 PM
    3 billion in cash...hmmmm I would change to a BB network

From my Z10
    where do you get he $3 billion in cash from?

their balance sheet from 3 months ago?

That will have chnaged.
    09-13-13 02:43 PM
    I have thought about Blackberry becoming a carrier and the only way I see it working is if they start in a small country that they big carriers are not concerned about. They would need to get experience with running a phone network first... and marketing!

The success of the plan hinges on whether Blackberry, with their compression algorithms, can run a *better and cheaper* network than the big carriers. If they can do that, then I could see them slowly evolving into a major carrier around the world.

Note the word "slowly". This is like a ten or fifteen year plan.

For now, let's just focus on the software.
    09-18-13 06:20 PM
    I have thought about Blackberry becoming a carrier and the only way I see it working is if they start in a small country that they big carriers are not concerned about. They would need to get experience with running a phone network first... and marketing!

The success of the plan hinges on whether Blackberry, with their compression algorithms, can run a *better and cheaper* network than the big carriers. If they can do that, then I could see them slowly evolving into a major carrier around the world.

Note the word "slowly". This is like a ten or fifteen year plan.

For now, let's just focus on the software.
    Yes, Blackberry does not have the luxury of time.

Just the view of an accountant looking at numbers.
    09-18-13 07:25 PM