They stopped losing billions of dollars when they abandoned BB10 devices, so they are actually better off by not updating them anymore.
    When did they have billions of dollars to lose billions of dollars?!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 04:04 AM
    I guess the only time a blackberry 10 Os device will see the light of the day, would be when/ if web apps start replacing native apps. Also would bis/ bes services be available/ viable at that time?
    12-28-16 06:54 AM
    I guess the only time a blackberry 10 Os device will see the light of the day, would be when/ if web apps start replacing native apps. Also would bis/ bes services be available/ viable at that time?
    Which is not going to happen anytime soon
    12-28-16 07:00 AM
    Which is not going to happen anytime soon
    Also, even if that happens, I think, more people would prefer a high specification blackberry android, 6gb ram (8gb "then"?) with a blackberry skin, over a blackberry 10. This would make a blackberry 10 device financially unviable.
    12-28-16 07:08 AM
    Aww, the "what if" posts are so cute...
    12-28-16 07:20 AM
    When did they have billions of dollars to lose billions of dollars?!

Posted via CB10
    When BlackBerry's revenues were over $5 Billion a quarter...... hard to imagine, but the BlackBerry that Chen "saved" is a pale shade of what the company once was. We could argue about how much has been lost on BB10, and how much it cost to do even minimum development.... but plain and simple, the BlackBerry of today can't afford to maintain BB10, muchless really keep it going like some here dream about.
    12-28-16 07:54 AM
    Reeeeeeeeeeeee!

Normies get out!

Or something like that.
    Ooooooopoops!

Should I check my level of Stockholm syndrome before logged in?

I'm really sorry about that~

Hail hy.... Blackberry!
    12-29-16 12:04 AM
    When BlackBerry's revenues were over $5 Billion a quarter...... hard to imagine, but the BlackBerry that Chen "saved" is a pale shade of what the company once was. We could argue about how much has been lost on BB10, and how much it cost to do even minimum development.... but plain and simple, the BlackBerry of today can't afford to maintain BB10, muchless really keep it going like some here dream about.
    They started losing money well before BlackBerry 10 was released, after OS6, they didn't make much money, they were losing it. Android and iOS were coming up, and then we all know what happened. So don't put the whole blame on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-16 01:04 PM
    They started losing money well before BlackBerry 10 was released, after OS6, they didn't make much money, they were losing it. Android and iOS were coming up, and then we all know what happened. So don't put the whole blame on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Actually the burning of Cash stated after they bought QNX and started their work on BB10.... actually don't think they really got into financial troubles till the first prototype of their "NEW" OS hit the market.... the PLAYBOOK.

It's not that there was an inherit problem with BB10... it was just bad timing. 2007 it would have been a HIT!

Either way, it's clear BB10 is one for the history books at this point. If they were planning to do something with BB10 and had resources.... QNX wouldn't be using the BLINK browser and paying someone else to help them.
    12-29-16 02:16 PM
    Actually the burning of Cash stated after they bought QNX and started their work on BB10.... actually don't think they really got into financial troubles till the first prototype of their "NEW" OS hit the market.... the PLAYBOOK.

It's not that there was an inherit problem with BB10... it was just bad timing. 2007 it would have been a HIT!

Either way, it's clear BB10 is one for the history books at this point. If they were planning to do something with BB10 and had resources.... QNX wouldn't be using the BLINK browser and paying someone else to help them.
    Financial troubles and losing money/marketshare are two different things in BlackBerry's case. When was the PlayBook released? OS7 days, Again you are trying to say as if PlayBook is at fault here lol!
    They had huge amount of money from devices until the sale of OS6, after that people started migrating to a better OS! OS7 was something OS6 should have been, but no point in telling now. And it was crap compared to android and iOS at that time(i loved OS7 though, for its ease of use as an actual communication device and social networking purposes). Well BB10 didn't make BlackBerry lose money because of its inefficiency or anything. It is still one of the best mobile OS yet! It's just they didn't know how to solve the app problem, I think high school kids were working for the company. If they had invested money on where it should really have been invested, BlackBerry wouldn't really have met this fate, and neither do BB10.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-16 10:15 PM
    Financial troubles and losing money/marketshare are two different things in BlackBerry's case. When was the PlayBook released? OS7 days, Again you are trying to say as if PlayBook is at fault here lol!
    They had huge amount of money from devices until the sale of OS6, after that people started migrating to a better OS! OS7 was something OS6 should have been, but no point in telling now. And it was crap compared to android and iOS at that time(i loved OS7 though, for its ease of use as an actual communication device and social networking purposes). Well BB10 didn't make BlackBerry lose money because of its inefficiency or anything. It is still one of the best mobile OS yet! It's just they didn't know how to solve the app problem, I think high school kids were working for the company. If they had invested money on where it should really have been invested, BlackBerry wouldn't really have met this fate, and neither do BB10.

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 was released after several months of delay and even then it still came out with glitchy hardware/software, a half-baked BB10, and a WTF Superbowl ad.
    Not sure if inefficiency would be the best word to describe that fiasco. Ineptitude, maybe?
    12-29-16 11:43 PM
    They should just be done with it and make a classic and a passport with android also while they're at it (Release the god damn bold 9900) WITH DECENT SPECS and Android

Then i'm sure pretty sure.... they'll make the big bucks.
    Public perception has already issued its verdict about BlackBerry.
    01-01-17 09:12 PM
    Public perception has already issued its verdict about BlackBerry.
    Bad marketing more like.

Android, is the game changer, (sad to admit) but it is.... all dem apps! lol
    01-02-17 07:58 AM
    Bad marketing more like.
    Android, is the game changer, (sad to admit) but it is.... all dem apps! lol
    Both.
    01-02-17 01:55 PM
    The Z10 was released after several months of delay and even then it still came out with glitchy hardware/software, a half-baked BB10, and a WTF Superbowl ad.
    Not sure if inefficiency would be the best word to describe that fiasco. Ineptitude, maybe?
    Sorry but it was several YEARS of delay.... Fall 2011 was when the first BB10 devices was sort expected. That got pushed back till early 2012, but then BlackBerry came up with some sill story about delays in chipsets in that pushed it back to later in 2012. Only to get pushed back more till early 2013, which clearly they weren't ready for. As they clearly under specked the battery for the Z10, and had to last minute up the memory size also.

In the end it was just too late in the smartphone platform war to make a difference. Kinda like the Germans and their jet fighters and rockets in WWII, a year or two earlier and things might have been very different.
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    01-03-17 03:57 PM
    Jolla on Sony xperia is now a possibility but BB10 would have to unusable. Plus they got kitkat runtime. For those who need.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    04-28-17 11:57 AM
    Would love to see BB10 on devices by Sony, LG and Samsung.
    08-08-17 07:49 PM
    Would love to see BB10 on devices by Sony, LG and Samsung.
    BlackBerry has offered to licence BB10 since 2013, and no one on the planet has been interested.
    08-08-17 08:37 PM
    Could BlackBerry sell 1 million units of a new phone running upgraded (patched) BB10? It may be a niche product but I think it is attainable. They would still be in play with the government market.
    08-08-17 09:38 PM
    Could BlackBerry sell 1 million units of a new phone running upgraded (patched) BB10? It may be a niche product but I think it is attainable. They would still be in play with the government market.
    No.
    08-08-17 09:43 PM
    No.
    I guess that is Chen's view as well. The official word is BB10 is still supported so I will reluctantly use Crapdroid until there is a viable option.
    08-08-17 09:52 PM
    I doubt that ALL government-purchased BB10 phones added up to 1M devices. There's a myth that "government needs BB10" but the truth is that BB10 had very, very low adoption by governments outside of Canada - and that was mostly patriotism rather than smart decision-making - and virtually all of them have dumped BB10 and moved to iOS or a Knox phone. BBOS had huge government adoption, but BB10 never did - the writing was already on the wall by the time BB10 was released.
    08-08-17 10:32 PM
    BlackBerry could not fix, update, patch (or any other verb) BB10 before or now.

That ship sailed years ago, and they wisely exited the smartphone market. I think that it is unrealistic to hope that they would spend time or money on BB10 in the future.
    08-09-17 11:41 AM
    I doubt that ALL government-purchased BB10 phones added up to 1M devices. There's a myth that "government needs BB10" but the truth is that BB10 had very, very low adoption by governments outside of Canada - and that was mostly patriotism rather than smart decision-making - and virtually all of them have dumped BB10 and moved to iOS or a Knox phone. BBOS had huge government adoption, but BB10 never did - the writing was already on the wall by the time BB10 was released.
    Some made smart decisions.... remember one regular member here actually lost her job because she was too wrapped up in the idea of her department going with BlackBerry, regardless of if it was a good decision. Felt bad for her, but the agency made the wise move.
    08-10-17 02:13 PM
    BlackBerry has offered to licence BB10 since 2013, and no one on the planet has been interested.
    There was unforeseen circumstances regarding company BB10 Adoption. It's not how you make it out to be. Saying "No one on the planet". Is speaking in Absolution terms.

Samsung, Windows, Sony and LG were interested in BB10 and in QNX. But market conditions prevented them from from jumping in.
    We are talking about a none North American Market. If 1 of the 4 did go with BB10. You need facts? Go dig them out yourself. I've had coffee with 2 executives from 1 of the above back in the day.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-17 05:53 PM
68 123