Waiting for an article from Umi, but what do people think?

+ or - for BBRY?
    01-29-14 10:54 PM
    Waiting for an article from Umi, but what do people think?

+ or - for BBRY?
    Means absolutely nothing as far as I can tell.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-29-14 11:03 PM
    cant say it means anything other than Lenovo wont be interested in BB now if they were for sale again
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-29-14 11:05 PM
    I think it is mostly negative for Blackberry for the following reasons.

- Lenovo no longer interested in BB10.
    - Lenovo will make cheap handsets for Asia
    - Lenovo will compete in the US
    - Goog removes conflict of interest w Samsung/ other hardware. Focus on making Android better for all.
    - Goog retains IP - still can defend Android.
    - The price was dirt cheap

+ Validates Chen decision to get out of hardware
    JeepBB, milo53, ccbs and 2 others like this.
    01-29-14 11:08 PM
    cant say it means anything other than Lenovo wont be interested in BB now if they were for sale again
    Yeah first thing I thought.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    01-29-14 11:09 PM
    Google has essentially outsourced their mobile hardware while still collecting licensing frees for the OS and hardware patents. In a way this is not so different than BlackBerry's move to outsource much of their hardware production to Foxconn.

Z10 STL100-3 |10.2.1.1925 | Bell | CB10
    ptpete likes this.
    01-29-14 11:21 PM
    Google has essentially outsourced their mobile hardware while still collecting licensing frees for the OS and hardware patents. In a way this is not so different than BlackBerry's move to outsource much of their hardware production to Foxconn.

Z10 STL100-3 |10.2.1.1925 | Bell | CB10
    Google has always outsourced their hardware. This is no different. They sold the Motorola brand. Lenovo has also already been paying license fees as they've already been making phones with with these patents. Lenovo's deal with Google for this is in no way similar to the Foxconn deal with BlackBerry.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...the-brand.html
    Posted via CB10
    ptpete likes this.
    01-29-14 11:38 PM
    Google has always outsourced their hardware. This is no different. They sold the Motorola brand. Lenovo has also already been paying license fees as they've already been making phones with with these patents. Lenovo's deal with Google for this is in no way similar to the Foxconn deal with BlackBerry.

Lenovo Isn't Buying Motorola's Phones. It's Buying the Brand - Bloomberg
    Posted via CB10
    Yea interesting take on buying the Brand. But there must have been production assets as well.

I didn't mean to imply that the Goog/Lenovo deal was like Foxconn/Blackberry. I only meant that it seems Goog couldn't make money w hardware as well.
    01-29-14 11:45 PM
    Means absolutely nothing as far as I can tell.
    Yea, but Lenovo has vaulted to #3 smartphone vendor.
    Looks like the markets like it on both sides for Lenovo and Goog.

For Lenovo, buying Motorola is all about boosting share in new markets — Tech News and Analysis
    01-29-14 11:54 PM
    Yea, but Lenovo has vaulted to #3 smartphone vendor.
    Looks like the markets like it on both sides for Lenovo and Goog.

For Lenovo, buying Motorola is all about boosting share in new markets �€” Tech News and Analysis
    Yes, it goes back to my previous post. They bought the brand. That will help with penetrating the N.A. market.
    01-29-14 11:59 PM
    I always hated the thought of Lenovo or Huawei or any of those companies buying BlackBerry.

I'm sure they're fine.................for other people. Just not for me. Not for us!
    01-30-14 12:14 AM
    - Lenovo will compete in the US
    How do you know they won't get the Huawei/ZTE treatment?
    01-30-14 12:21 AM
    None of that matters because the Canadian Government blocked Lenovo from sniffing around at BlackBerry.
    01-30-14 12:43 AM
    Yea interesting take on buying the Brand. But there must have been production assets as well.

I didn't mean to imply that the Goog/Lenovo deal was like Foxconn/Blackberry. I only meant that it seems Goog couldn't make money w hardware as well.
    Google main purpose never about gain money from selling motorola phone, their main purpose is Motorola patent, in the end Google sell motorola by parts and keep one thing they want the most

if google want to gain money from hardware, they will surely promote and pour lot of their money to motorola, but they will gain negative impact on their main businesses

i think this move involve Google and several other android vendor...last week google made patent agreement with samsung, maybe to keep samsung long comitment with Android, and the deal with Lenovo to prove Google is not Samsung competitors, and help Lenovo to gain large boost to compete against Samsung to avoid Samsung position as the superior vendor for Android....maybe?
    Last edited by garnok; 01-30-14 at 01:15 AM.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    01-30-14 12:52 AM
    That means you need a strong phone name to sell smartphone outside of China.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 01:14 AM
    This could be bad for BBRY if it means the Lenovo wants to compete more in the smartphone space. The business user that wants a high-performance, understated looking phone is just what BBRY should be shooting for. Or at least BBRY should be trying to get some of these sales.

For the last year I have been saying that BBRY should be the Lenovo of smartphones. If you're not a Mac user and you want a good business PC you likely use Lenovo. (Ironically, Lenovo's quality has gone downhill because IBM sold off its PC division to Lenovo and now it's made in China.)
    01-30-14 01:21 AM
    That means you need a strong phone name to sell smartphone outside of China.

Posted via CB10
    Lenovo phone sales number are very strong in China, India, indonesia . number 1,2, and 4 in term of largest population, despite they are new player on smartphone market . US (number 3) market is more complicated by bought motorola they can get a boost their position on US market
    01-30-14 01:21 AM
    That's just what would have happened to BBRY if bought by a tech giant. Just put "BlackBerry" instead of "Motorola " and it's all there. Keep the valuable patents , chop the rest of the business and sell it for pieces.

Wonder what's gonna happen with the whole Moto X/Moto G hype.

Posted via CB10 from my exquisite Z10
    01-30-14 01:22 AM
    It means Blackberry should be happy it wasn't sold for Google, or else google would have got all major "important" patents and then sold the company bare with nothing that might help it come back to life.

Posted via my Q10/Playbook/Curve
    01-30-14 08:20 AM
    I agree that I'm glad that bbry
    Was not sold to anybody, but I think I was hoping that one if the big makers started licensing bb10.

Guess it won't be lenovo

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 10:23 AM
    It sets a price to think of in case BlackBerry becomes for sale again.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 03:58 AM