I never used Wechat but I just read an article about it and looks like they have already 300 million user of which 200 million in China.

In Italy I saw ads on TV the whole summer promoting it and reading the article I see they have a similar service to BBM Channel that corporation use for customer service and geolocalization services like finding a store etc and that companies like Starbucks, Nike, CityBank, McDonald�s already pay for this services.

It look like they are growing aggresively - Messi is in thier TV commercial and I've seen ads on magazines popping up.

Will it be more difficult for BBM to face another competitor that is so marketing aggressive?
    09-12-13 05:58 AM
    We chat and naver line are indeed very advanced IM apps. They both have their own intra social network where people can create they own facebook esque pages.

Bbm channels has more of an instagram look and feel.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 06:01 AM
    WeChat is awesome, but it's pretty much limited to China, where BB has like..... ZERO presence. It's doubtful BB is going to try to break into that market with BBM for Android.
    09-12-13 06:02 AM
    WeChat is awesome, but it's pretty much limited to China, where BB has like..... ZERO presence. It's doubtful BB is going to try to break into that market with BBM for Android.
    They are growing VERY fast outside China 1/3 of thier users is already outside China and they are doing ads aggressively at least in Italy. Dismiss them as Chinese, when they have thier managemnt travelling around Europe and signing people like Messi for thier marking, it would mean to be arrogant and I think BBRY should start being rather humble.
    09-12-13 06:07 AM
    They are growing VERY fast outside China 1/3 of thier users is already outside China and they are doing ads aggressively at least in Italy. Dismiss them as Chinese, when they have thier managemnt travelling around Europe and signing people like Messi for thier marking, it would mean to be arrogant and I think BBRY should start being rather humble.
    Ok, perhaps I was a bit hasty in saying it was limited outside China. One of the best features of WeChat is the "look around" thing, which lets you see the people around you. In any city in China, you literally get hundreds of people within a 1KM radius. I met quite a few women that way. Outside of China.... that features doesn't work near as well. Once again, it's one of those critical mass things. I like WeChat, and I hope it does well outside of China and I hope the "look around" feature catches on.
    09-12-13 06:16 AM
    I met quite a few women that way. {...} and I hope the "look around" feature catches on.
    Respect, if this app help to get laid people will jump on it immediately and forget about #BBM4ALL.

BBRY should implement something like that.
    09-12-13 06:22 AM
    Respect, if this app help to get laid people will jump on it immediately and forget about #BBM4ALL.

BBRY should implement something like that.
    Word! LOL

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 07:14 AM
    I've seen Line tv ads too. I think Thorsten has to spend big money in marketing or nothing will happen. There are too many good products already in the market with a bigger user base.
    09-12-13 07:36 AM
    Wechat is growing here in Indonesia. I noticed KFC is using it as part of their TV commercial.

I have a feeling that people with whatsapp will he reluctant to switch over to BBM unless there is something special.
    09-12-13 09:36 AM
    Yeah I'm getting more and more skeptic about the real BBM value. They need to add more: push to talk is one but also some sexting feature like the one described above that Wechat has.
    09-12-13 12:20 PM
    Wechat's PTT relies heavily on its encoding, and the message is kept server side, if i'm not mistaken. (Though you actually keep it for as long as you set it to).

Wechat technically can do what BBM does, with exception that WeChat seems to be more of a IM with a facebook/myspace/friendster-ish social site tie in. I don't think BBM is anything like that at all.
    09-12-13 11:59 PM