I have no hate against Chen, but I think it's time we get a new CEO who doesn't deviate from hardware. BlackBerry is what it is today because of their unique smartphones and security. I feel like because of Chen the company wasn't able to fully show the capability of BB10 devices and the OS. Due to their lack of marketing, next to no one knows BlackBerry still makes phones. In software BlackBerry isn't going prosper so well. There has been few articles already predicting that. It's time we get a new CEO that will touch back the roots that made this company a smartphone titan.

Posted via CB10
    JLOforshort and berrydroid like this.
    09-30-16 03:59 AM
    I disagree, JC has done a great job turn around the company. It's just the handset division beyond saving, I think no one can save handset division NOT even Steve Jobs .
    09-30-16 04:06 AM
    I disagree, JC has done a great job turn around the company. It's just the handset division beyond saving, I think no one can save handset division NOT even Steve Jobs .
    I've read couple articles in the past that have said that BlackBerry is nothing without their handset. I feel like in a market of similar slabs, a fresh new face would've been accepted by consumers. If only people knew BlackBerry still made devices. My Passport SE and Classic still get compliments from general public. They're first reaction is always "I didn't know BlackBerry still made phones" lol.

Posted via CB10
    berrydroid likes this.
    09-30-16 04:14 AM
    Fine, buy a majority share holding and fire Chen.

You'll need to buy more shares than Prem, because Prem hired him to do exactly what Chen has done. Given the market reaction to the news, other shareholders seem to love Chen too, so maybe buy them out too? FWIW, I like Chen too though I own no shares so you don't have to buy me out.

Me, and all those other groups are pretty sure BB wouldn't have made it this far without him.

Short of a buying a majority share holding though, I'm afraid you are SOL on getting a CEO who'll get "back to their roots". I guess that's code for new BB10 phones?

If so, acceptance that BB10 is dead is that way ->

I hope you have deep pockets. Good luck!
    09-30-16 04:42 AM

You'll need to buy more shares than Prem, because Prem hired him to do exactly what Chen has done. Given the market reaction to the news, other shareholders seem to love Chen too, so maybe buy them out too? FWIW, I like Chen too though I own no shares so you don't have to buy me out.

Me, and all those other groups are pretty sure BB wouldn't have made it this far without him.

Short of a buying a majority share holding though, I'm afraid you are SOL on getting a CEO who'll get "back to their roots". I guess that's code for new BB10 phones?

I never said they should stick to BB10, I said they should continue with their handset division rather than licensing them off to lesser known brands who won't do any better than BlackBerry. Without phones BlackBerry is pretty much obsolete.

Posted via CB10
    berrydroid likes this.
    09-30-16 04:58 AM
    I never said they should stick to BB10, I said they should continue with their handset division rather than licensing them off to lesser known brands who won't do any better than BlackBerry. Without phones BlackBerry is pretty much obsolete.

Posted via CB10
    The market doesn't agree with you. BB's share price went UP on the news that BB is quitting phones.

I'm confused. You seem to be saying that the licensees, assuming there are more than the one we know about, won't succeed... but that BB should continue on that failed path?

BB sold 400k phones WORLDWIDE last quarter, including BB10, BBOS & Android phones. They also reported a huge loss on hardware. Good luck with finding a CEO who will continue that strategy.

As I said, CB posters don't get to appoint the CEO, only shareholders have a say. And they seem to be all-in on Chen's strategy.
    09-30-16 05:10 AM
    The market doesn't agree with you. BB's share price went UP on the news that BB is quitting phones.

I'm confused. You seem to be saying that the licensees, assuming there are more than the one we know about, won't succeed... but that BB should continue on that failed path?

As I said, CB posters don't get to appoint the CEO, only shareholders have a say. And they seem to be all-in on Chen's strategy.
    Okay there's a lot assumptions from you regarding this post. On CB we post our opinions regarding everything BlackBerry. This post is an opinion of mine, not call for an action. Back to what I'm trying to say is that BlackBerry isn't BlackBerry without handsets. I believe there is a chance for BlackBerry to still make it in hardware division.

Chen made many promises last year but fast forward to today, I personally haven't noticed anything he's done to save the handset division. So of course it's going to fail if there's no effort from the company to save it. Am I glad BlackBerry is turning around and making profit? You better believe I am. I just don't believe in killing the hardware division. I made 3 of my friends switch to BlackBerry Passport and they love it to death. If only everyone else knew BlackBerry still made phones lol

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 05:19 AM
    IIRC, Chen has been saying consistently that he wants to turn BB into a Software company - with obvious implications for BB Hardware as a consequence. I can't recall any "promises" he's made about keeping hardware. Can you?

Chen was brought in to save BB the company, not BB Hardware. He's never made any secret of that and has frequently mentioned (publicly) that he will make a decision on ending Hardware. He even told everyone when he would make that decision. September.

He made it... In September. Making it possibly the only deadline date that BB have achieved in several years!

Few are suprised that he made it, considering the scale of losses that BB10 & Android phones have caused, though some are surprised he didn't make it sooner.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 09-30-16 at 07:33 AM.
    09-30-16 05:38 AM

BB sold 400k phones WORLDWIDE last quarter, including BB10, BBOS & Android phones. They also reported a huge loss on hardware. Good luck with finding a CEO who will continue that strategy.

In 400K
    how many phones did BlackBerry Android sold?
    How many BB10 Phones were sold?
    How many BBOS phones were sold?

Shareholders have no clue of the market. We want Android Chen went Android, DOOM.
    Now we are DOOM, Shareholders decided to close the Hardware. Chen does it.
    Lolz. Feel pity for Chen.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 05:47 AM

If I had the money to buy the shares, we wouldn't be talking about BlackBerry without a hardware division.

Closing the hardware division with the current management might be a good idea in the long run. This will at least give the company time to evaluate it's options or someone else to take it over. BlackBerry was never good at selling hardware.

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    Last edited by togarika; 09-30-16 at 07:26 AM.
    09-30-16 06:41 AM
    Why would they fire the guy who saved the company?

Posted from my Passport SE via CB10
    09-30-16 07:43 AM

A change of Blackberry's strategic objectives?

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-30-16 08:00 AM

Many of these Chen haters really don't understand where BlackBerry was when Chen took over, they need to go back to the fall of 2013 and look at the financials.... Billions were being lost every quarter. Changes HAD TO BE MADE or they would have been bankrupt in a few months. Chen managed the death of BlackBerry the hardware company and he skillfully made changes that allowed BlackBerry the software company to be CREATED - he had to buy them a software company, as they really weren't one, other than QNX and it's meager revenues.

Has Chen made all investors happy... no, many were too emotionally invested in the brand and they didn't invest correctly.
    DaDaDogg and TGR1 like this.
    09-30-16 08:18 AM
    Many of these Chen haters really don't understand where BlackBerry was when Chen took over ....snip
    It's much simpler than that D3, Chen killed BB10 and then killed BB phones. There are folk here who will hate him for evaaaar for doing that.

All you posted is true, nonetheless.
    09-30-16 08:24 AM
    Business is about numbers not love of the brand. I love bbos and it's sad to see the hardware division closing but maybe after few months / years of profit and a new start .we will see new bb devices if the market allow us to coming back

From Q10 to Dtek50...a new world ...
    09-30-16 08:44 AM
    I am struggling to find a reason to stay with BlackBerry, the reason I bought Blackberry's was because I loved their product. I don't want someone else's product with a BlackBerry sticker on it. It's still someone else's phone at the end of the day.
    Blackberry might survive under Chen but it isn't the company I fell in love with and it's no longer going to produce anything I want by the sounds of it. Chen has succeeded in not letting the company go under but he's had to change everything that was once great about the company to do it.
    I'll stick with my Passport till it dies but I won't be buying someone else's rebranded device.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 09:26 AM

Uh mm... if you haven't noticed... BBRY went up and then right back down again the next day... after the market had a few more hours to decipher chen's often flowery but misleading words.

And now today chen is out there spewing new spin trying to claim the market didn't understand his words (see front page CB link today).

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-30-16 09:42 AM
    Uh mm... if you haven't noticed... BBRY went up and then right back down again the next day... after the market had a few more hours to decipher chen's often flowery but misleading words.

And now today chen is out there spewing new spin trying to claim the market didn't understand his words (see front page CB link today).
    Now, I don't really follow the stockmarket myself, but I do follow the news. I reckon the downturn is general and has very little nothing to do with BlackBerry.

There's a huge banking concern called Deutsche Bank having a few difficulties. They are a bank whose clients are, in the main, other big banks and some fear a repeat of the financial meltdown of a few years ago. It's dragging the whole market down with it.

With all that going on in the background, BlackBerry's exit from hardware is yesterday's news and even on the day was only a minor filler story in most of the business press. I realise this will shock many here but, when not viewed through the CB distortion field, BlackBerry isn't newsworthy and hasn't been for years.

Most of the stories reporting the hardware exit that I read were along the lines of: "iconic firm BlackBerry, maker of that once must-have phone, has stopped making them". Except around here, BlackBerry phones are already regarded as a historical curiosity... the devices that folk used before "proper smartphones" were invented!
    09-30-16 10:27 AM
    Many of these Chen haters really don't understand where BlackBerry was when Chen took over
    There's no hate here for Chen, at least not from me. I just don't agree with his decisions and his words are too misleading. Obviously a CEO with misleading words and promises isn't what BlackBerry needs. Within that year span when Chen made the promise, he has literally done NOTHING. Maybe he personally doesn't want hardware division to exist anymore? I don't know, but all I know is that Chen could've done a hundred other things to at least TRY to save the handset division.

BTW, Apple reacted with BlackBerry's exit by saying this is a "massive opportunity" for them to enter enterprise. Good job, Chen!

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    09-30-16 12:17 PM
    Actually I am kinda disappointed at Chen for taking this long to make the pivot back to BB's real roots - enterprise software solutions.

Which was BES and BIS.
    niumxp likes this.
    09-30-16 12:56 PM
    I own stock in BBRY, I want him to ultimately make money and keep my stocks up. Not stay in HW if it kills the company.
    09-30-16 01:26 PM
    Many of these Chen haters really don't understand where BlackBerry was when Chen took over, they need to go back to the fall of 2013 and look at the financials.... Billions were being lost every quarter. Changes HAD TO BE MADE or they would have been bankrupt in a few months. Chen managed the death of BlackBerry the hardware company and he skillfully made changes that allowed BlackBerry the software company to be CREATED - he had to buy them a software company, as they really weren't one, other than QNX and it's meager revenues.

Has Chen made all investors happy... no, many were too emotionally invested in the brand and they didn't invest correctly.
    I understand what Chen did. He did a good job of turning the company around. I just don't think he is the guy who can grow the company.

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-30-16 01:30 PM
    I own stock in BBRY, I want him to ultimately make money and keep my stocks up. Not stay in HW if it kills the company.
    A bump in the stock price could mean nothing at all. A steady and gradual increase of the stock price will be proof that he is doing a good job. I think you would want the company to be still there five years from now, growing steadily and the stock price increasing as well, isn't it?

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    Last edited by togarika; 10-01-16 at 03:38 PM.
    09-30-16 01:34 PM
    The TRUTH can be very painful..... I have no idea when Chen decided that hardware was not a long term viable solution. But if he had been truthful about that decision, the company would not have lasted long enough to make the transition that he has been able to implement. Personally I think Hardware fate was sealed back in 2014.... they have simple been going through the motions from then to capture all the revenue they could in order to buy them time.

I know many "think" Chen could have done more.... Just look at Microsoft and what they have tried and how much they have spent... with NO return on that investment at all.

It is disappointing, but it's not Chen's fault... his job is not to make hardware fans happy, but to make shareholders happy (and not the we support BlackBerry type shareholders.. but real investors).
    09-30-16 01:41 PM
    BlackBerry still has faults under Chen but I believe that he kept the handsets going longer than most would have.
    I rather liked the DTEK strategy and would have liked to have seen it carried out but I guess that the latest quarter was so poor that he was feeling the heat from ownership to pull the plug.
    09-30-16 01:55 PM
112 123 ...