If this happens, it will be the day I start using my Jolla phone 100%.
    I'm kind of curious why you haven't done that already.

I switched from BB10 to Jolla for my secondary device a while ago. As I'm sure you already know, Jolla has almost the same UI as BB10 (since BlackBerry copied it from MeeGo) and better Android support, including the ability to add Google Services and all of Google's apps. My main phone is the OPO, but I really enjoy my Jolla Sailfish device.

It is a shame that Jolla hasn't spread out further and became more popular. It is very impressive what such a small team has accomplished.
    11-15-14 03:49 PM
    I'm not going to read through this thread but IF BlackBerry released an Android OS version on their phones, BlackBerry would probably be dead now with all of the security flaws reported on Android with Samsung/HTC/Sony/any other forked device and even the flaws reported with Knox. It would impact BlackBerry's reputation indirectly on security and not have the value add, iron clad security if a company went with BlackBerry end to end to the BlackBerry physical device. BlackBerry's wholly owned subsidiary security company, Certicom, would lose credibility along with it. Killing another company with it.

BlackBerry has end-to-end in the layers of the stack to the damn silicon chip. Other players are only playing with a couple layers.

However, BlackBerry has worked the magic also able to have a containerized Android app player. In enterprises, most would have this locked down with an Android app opt-in option (should a business app not be available on native BB10 or a company unwilling to port their app through the easy porting to BB10 process) so the threat can be managed and controlled with the superior BB10 OS.

Competing with a crowded market using Android as their OS would kill BlackBerry's identity even further, kill their bread and butter and probably abandon and waste the investment on QNX RTOS, TAT UI and development tools and other acquisitions that helped make BB10 a reality.

Don't bother wasting time arguing why an Android OS is better than BB10 on a BlackBerry device. BlackBerry would likely be dead by now and John Chen would have laughed at Prem Watsa's offer and wouldn't have bothered trying to save a company on such a terrible decision.

P.S. I'm not going to bother coming back to waste time in this thread. Take it or leave it.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 07:08 PM
    Sony is NOT losing money on smartphones! The division of Sony that smartphones are a part of lost money, but that's because Sony's PC business was also in that division and posted big losses. The smartphone business has been profitable for Sony for a while now.

Sony has dumped their PC division, so there will be no more anchors holding the smartphone group back.
    Wow really since when? I didn't know that, so there will be no Sony vaios laptops anymore. I use to see those everywhere I guess I should get a relic off eBay then.

Send from the amazing powers of the? ? Z30
    11-16-14 01:22 AM
    If this happens, it will be the day I start using my Jolla phone 100%.
    Thought about getting one yesterday. :-)

Got an email from them, they're making a tablet now. Crowdfunded... $189 for "founders"

? ? ? Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    11-19-14 02:30 PM
    I'm not going to read through this thread but IF BlackBerry released an Android OS version on their phones, BlackBerry would probably be dead now with all of the security flaws reported on Android with Samsung/HTC/Sony/any other forked device and even the flaws reported with Knox. It would impact BlackBerry's reputation indirectly on security and not have the value add, iron clad security if a company went with BlackBerry end to end to the BlackBerry physical device. BlackBerry's wholly owned subsidiary security company, Certicom, would lose credibility along with it. Killing another company with it.

BlackBerry has end-to-end in the layers of the stack to the damn silicon chip. Other players are only playing with a couple layers.

However, BlackBerry has worked the magic also able to have a containerized Android app player. In enterprises, most would have this locked down with an Android app opt-in option (should a business app not be available on native BB10 or a company unwilling to port their app through the easy porting to BB10 process) so the threat can be managed and controlled with the superior BB10 OS.

Competing with a crowded market using Android as their OS would kill BlackBerry's identity even further, kill their bread and butter and probably abandon and waste the investment on QNX RTOS, TAT UI and development tools and other acquisitions that helped make BB10 a reality.

Don't bother wasting time arguing why an Android OS is better than BB10 on a BlackBerry device. BlackBerry would likely be dead by now and John Chen would have laughed at Prem Watsa's offer and wouldn't have bothered trying to save a company on such a terrible decision.

P.S. I'm not going to bother coming back to waste time in this thread. Take it or leave it.

Posted via CB10
    Yep. Let's say such an Android BB thing gets hacked.
    BlackBerry is finished. They'll rip'em to shreds.

(it doesn't matter where the security flaw came from, what caused it, they didn't / couldn't secure it, it is their fault, etc. ...)

? ? ? Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    11-19-14 02:40 PM
    Let's say such an Android BB thing gets hacked.
    BlackBerry is finished. They'll rip'em to shreds.
    Which is why it'll be a while yet before we see a secure BlackBerry Android handset. It's not going to happen overnight.
    11-27-14 08:18 PM
    All Android & iOS devices have the same keyboard as that of BlackBerry, all they have to do is to download it. It's called SwiftKey.

Currently available for free to all Android devices.

Most people who are not techy are not particular about the OS that they use. They just want a phone that fulfil their needs, basically to make & receive calls & to send texts. The secondary function would be to play games & surf the net or Facebook & that's it.

If someone is invested in Android & switch to BlackBerry 10. All they have to do is to download snap, sign in with their Google account & they can download all the Android apps that they have previously bought. It's just that simple.

Android & iOS is preferred is because the media, sales person & their friends tell them to buy those. You're probably a techy guy that's why you prefer Android device. I don't like Android devices because they also look very unpolished & is very confusing to use as they have so many different menus & apps are all over the place. Their multi tasking is very awkward.

iOS is too tedious to use coz you have to go through too many steps to get things done. They also come with no basic functionality like emails, calendar, word, excel, PowerPoint, pdf reader, WhatsApp, BBM, YouTube, etc. You have to download so many apps to be able to use an iPhone out of the box.

If there is not so much news that BlackBerry is bankrupt & that it requires BIS & that you need to pay extra for BlackBerry service to use a BlackBerry phone people will want to use it. So I guess you need to rethink this.

Well in a way you are right that BlackBerry is loosing market share. Just like iOS, BlackBerry is loosing market share but at the same time they are selling more phones. The only platform that is not loosing market share is Android.

So where is the business case for an Android BlackBerry phone?

Posted via CB10
    You're not the brightest crayon in the box. They all have blackberry keyboards ??? Lol wow ur special my friend
    Witmen likes this.
    12-19-14 06:52 PM
    I still say they would make more money selling a qwerty android phone with the bb logo on it and customized Os tailoring to business users. I would love that.
    12-19-14 06:54 PM
    I still say they would make more money selling a qwerty android phone with the bb logo on it and customized Os tailoring to business users. I would love that.
    Secured by Samsung Knox?
    12-20-14 09:17 AM
    Consider a different approach:

The current "BB10 + Android Player" OS for the security conscious and the Professional/Business set. Emphasis on the QWERTY devices due to productivity being the most important thing + security (jesus, how many more companies need to be hacked before they wake up?).

The Android Device with BB10 interface (i.e., you really can't tell the difference from the US) but has Google Play and App support - for CONSUMERS (nooooooo- say it isn't so!!!, well maybe). They secure it better via BES12 for the MASSES (i.e., in the cloud), so that you get some of the security (just not bulletproof), but then all the gamesters, and small business owners who do NOT care as much about security but need those Google Play apps, have sort of the best of both worlds.

Lets face it guys - you really can't go up against Google and win. Google is slowing but methodically closing off Android, App makers, etc - to create another closed garden like Apple. There really is no way of beating them at it. Why not have a "consumer" version that allows Blackberry to tap a different market that values Apps more than Uber-Security.

AND - why not team with Lenovo or Samsung to put these versions out? With Blackberry making the professional set phones (please release an all touch Z20 replacement with Passport internals).

I am all for Blackberry thriving and growing. I don't think it means that they have to give up any of the progress they have made on the corporate market.
    12-20-14 08:02 PM
    Blackberry would lose all the respect in the whole known universe if they put Android on it...

SO.. TO THE OP.. NO NO HELL NO
    12-23-14 09:41 PM
    Blackberry would lose all the respect in the whole known universe if they put Android on it...
    BB10 has Android on it.
    12-24-14 12:20 AM
    BB10 already has android runtime, if that's not enough for you, then buy an android. It's a simple as that.

There is no perfect OS for everybody, and compromises have to be made, but honestly I hope blackberry never gives in to official Google services.
    12-24-14 12:43 AM
    There is no perfect OS for everybody, and compromises have to be made, but honestly I hope blackberry never gives in to official Google services.
    If it has the potential to double their handset sales, then why not?
    12-24-14 10:23 AM
    Sony is NOT losing money on smartphones! The division of Sony that smartphones are a part of lost money, but that's because Sony's PC business was also in that division and posted big losses. The smartphone business has been profitable for Sony for a while now.

Sony has dumped their PC division, so there will be no more anchors holding the smartphone group back.
    Really?

Based on predictions, the Sony Mobile division will report a loss of around $1.7 billion by next March, due to the Xperia smartphone lineup�s poor sales numbers. Although Sony says it won�t abandon mobile completely just yet, it will decrease the number of smartphones it produces and in general, scale back the mobile division. Sony recognizes that the move will decrease smartphone sales further and disappoint loyal customers in Europe and Asia, where Sony�s smartphones are more popular.

Read more: Sony to Spend Less on Smartphones and TVs | Digital Trends
    Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook
    12-24-14 04:31 PM
    BB10 has Android on it.
    Runtime dude.... not the whole OS lol, c'mon fella... you knew what i meant.
    12-24-14 08:14 PM
    Runtime dude.... not the whole OS lol, c'mon fella... you knew what i meant.
    Merry Christmas.
    12-25-14 12:45 AM
    The only way I could see Blackberry launching a successful Android phone would be via a sub brand.

And it'd need to target emerging markets.
    12-25-14 01:57 PM
    Bbry needs to replicate the bb10 front end in a launcher for Android. Then they need to start selling Android phones.

Make them premium phones for consumers and business.

In enterprise, how good would it be to be able to cross sell Android/BB10/BES?

Keep Android stock. Tell enterprises that if they want to get the best security, to go with BB10. If not use the Android solution.

But make the android phone with consumers in mind. Make it beautiful!

Posted via CB10
    Android is not a phone, it's a freeware software which companies like Samsung, Sony, and yes BlackBerry utilize. The only difference between blackberry and the rest is BlackBerry is using their own native OS which is way better than the android front end.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 10:11 AM
    Seems the OP has it quite opposite. Going Android over BB10 is devolving, not evolving. The best combination is what's happening right now, superior BB10 platform with Android App support and BBW native App support. But that's about it. By now we understand based on facts, that BB10 is far superior, not to mention true down to the core multi-tasking performance.

OS's Best to Worst in Technological Advancements: 1) BB10, 2) Android, 3) WP8, 4) Place Holder, 5) iOS
    OS's Best to Worst in Raw Innovation: 1) BB10, 2) WP8, 3) Android, 4) Place Holder, 5) Place Holder, 6) iOS
    12-28-14 04:35 PM
    It doesn't work like that and I have no idea what makes you think it does. BB10 doesn't have Google Play. If you've spent hundreds of dollars in Google Play and then switch to BB10, you're basically saying bye to all of that content you've purchased.

"""Nonsense. 99% of Android Apps work Flawlessly on the BB10 Platform. There's ways around the Google Services Argument. To date, people that I know switched to BB10 and had no issues putting all there Android purchased apps on BB10. They all work great. Eventually Google will ensure Play services support for BB10. Same exact phrase by a Google Executive, that said if and when BB10 device market share increases, we will discuss Google Play Services support with BlackBerry when the time is right"""
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    BlackBerry 10 is a multi billion dollar mistake that was made before Chen took over. He didn't kill off the devices that were already in the pipe line, but other than that, what has Chen done to lead you to believe that he wants to continue throwing money into the bottomless pit that was started back when Mike and Jim were still in office? Time will tell, but I think the Samsung deal is the begining of the end for BB10.

Oh and by the way, Chen doesn't need to try to kill off BlackBerry's hardware business. The 99% of the world's population who won't buy their devices is doing that for him.

""""More Complete Nonsense. BB10 is Evolution. It's evolving as I write this. BB10 is the best thing BlackBerry has done in a decade. QNX and BB10 is far superior technologically. Your comments are based on your own hatred opinions, and nothing more. No point in being angry just because BB10 is far better than anything out to date. And BB10 continues to gain world wide market share, something iPhone users seem to hate for some reason. You fit in the same category, allowing your bias to overcome you.
    Facts are facts regardless how you try to dress it, BB10 is the future of mobility, and the only mobile OS that;s considered a "REAL" upgrade path over iOS and Android.""""

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    The business case for BlackBerry is they would be offering a mobile operating system that people actually want to use. Say what you will about Android manufacturers not selling well or not making money, but none of them has done nearly as poorly as BlackBerry has with BB10.

The advantages for consumers is a Android device with a awesome full QWERTY keyboard. People love to say that no one wants a physical keyboard phone, but I think the honest truth is no one wants a phone that runs BlackBerry's dead-end operating system. Has there ever been a Android device with a keyboard as good as the ones BlackBerry can make? Not that I'm aware of.

You still never answered my question. Would you rather BlackBerry make Android phones or no phones at all?

"""Android may be better than iOS, but in no way is it better than BB10. BB10 is a well designed and complete OS. Android is a complete mess. And confusing for consumers to use. BB10 is not only efficient, its much easier to use and far productive. BlackBerry will never create a Android phone, doing so is devolving. Ridiculous to even suggest such a thing. Android App support is as far as it goes. And remember, even within the automotive industry, iOS and Android cannot run by themselves due to securing and efficiency issues. This is why they run overtop of BlackBerry's QNX, the same QNX that runs National Defense Systems, Nuclear Power Plants, MRI machines, NASA space craft etc.,""""
    John Chen has rectified many previous BlackBerry issues, perception is or has changed about the company. No more of this absolute DOOM/GLOOM nonsense. And thanks to this positive quarter, they will finally now concentrate on mass distribution. Distribution equals growth. Once people taste and feel BB10, going back to the likes iOS for example will only irritate them.
    12-28-14 05:00 PM
    The Stupidest think I ever heard!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 08:41 PM
    The thread that just won't die.
    And gets resurrected regularly...

Bump, haha.
    ;-)

�   A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...   �
    01-03-15 11:17 PM
    Because a secure BlackBerry Android device with Google services that caters to 85% of the market rather than BB 10 that caters to 1% is an extremely compelling concept.
    A secure BlackBerry Android device is BlackBerry 10... there is no such a thing as a secure android....

Posted via CB10
    ezapper2 and AtInsider like this.
    01-03-15 11:45 PM
    A secure BlackBerry Android device is BlackBerry 10... there is no such a thing as a secure android....
    Samsung Knox powered by BlackBerry's BES12 is not secure?
    01-04-15 07:48 AM
254 ... 45678 ...