If you load custom rom then no BES to you, and that's fair. Security concerned customers will not root their phones.

If BlackBerry is really going services route then their proprietary OS is just an obstacle. I'm just saying if time comes to decide if they should ditch hardware unit, before doing so they might consider to kill BBOS and go Android/WP route. Somehow, I think they could have better position for placing their services as Google and Microsoft hardware partners than as their competition.

Posted via CB10

I completely agree with this and have always disagreed with people when they said if BlackBerry made an android they would just be lost in the sea of android phones, it's still a BlackBerry! I would love it.

Q10 Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 02:00 PM
    I would actually pay someone right now if they could get android OS working properly on my Q10 right now

Q10 Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 02:01 PM
    The only part of Android I want is Google Play on BlackBerry 10, can't live without BlackBerry Hub

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 11:44 PM
    I choose BlackBerry because I want as little to do with Google as possible. Why the hell would I want an android phone?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 12:55 AM
    Personally, I hope they don't go to Android OS. They would lose their uniqueness. Then they would be competing directly against Samsung and HTC and I don't think they would do well.

BlackBerry seems be slowly moving towards a recovery. I think they just need to stick with it.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    James Anderson16 likes this.
    10-11-14 09:32 PM
    U said very good line

I f BlackBerry made android
    I will also choose ios
    I does not like android

posted via Q10
    10-14-14 09:35 PM
    I agree with what you shared. Blackberry still lives till today because it still has its uniqueness. That no one else can compete or does not want to compete against. Blackberry needs to avoid the unnecessary competitions. Namely, I think the appearance of the new OS 10.3 is kind of moving toward the looks of Android. It needs to be stopped. I can't deny that having a new OS with a new look is very exciting, but I don't want to sacrifice the functionality. Please, whatever blackberry is doing, don't forget to keep improving the user experience.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 11:29 PM
    NO! Just a big fat no.
    Ok So ive been in hardware business for half a decade now & what i have learned is that if software isnt good enough hardware cant do zit..
    What is happening with android is its developing without getting out small or unnoticeable glitches, memory leaks & efficiency.
    Another problem with android is hardware is NEVER going to exactly be compatible with the software, (Same reason we all get annoyed by Windows on your PC/Laptop now and then).
    Sure BB released the OS10 with loads of problems, but being a security/stability focused company Blackberry is working quite hard to get them out & to be honest the OS 10.3 has Everything you would need on a daily basis.
    Android is filled with apps but almost every app Is unrefined & inefficient, Every time i get Android in my hand (no matter how high the specs) i can feel that its software cracks under pressure. The hardware specs are only doing 1/3rd of what they should be compared to 4/5th performance from BB hardware.
    And dont even get me started with security!!!
    10-17-14 09:32 AM
    Wouldn't this make us yet another failing android manufacturer?????

I'm not expert on this subject but I'm pretty sure John Chen knows what he's doing, especially with the success of the Z3, the excitement he's created around the passport and the improving financial side of things...

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 10:00 AM
    Lots of great points being made on this thread. I have been contemplating this a lot as I really think that my BB is special and I always have to go back to it (even the Z10) because of the UX and the just all of the hard thinking and detail that BB has put into usability, etc. BB phones are truely unique.

And, when I think about that - it leads me to a strange conclusion. I think that BB should make an android phone. They are already going to be managing them via MDM, and - i think that BB knows ALOT more about Android that any of us would believe given then have had to get Android working on QNX.

So, if BB could make an Android based phone, that worked exactly as our beloved BB10 devices work today, and instead the Google Play Store was the primary Apps store. And, all of the BB services, were to come along for the ride - like the Hub (and hence Email), calendar, contacts, etc. All of the core apps/services in the phone were BB10 copies. but, you could use Android Apps and the Google Play store - since it is in fact an Android phone - I think that it would be really appealing to many regions around the world.

Consider, then, Blackberry could say that their phone - keeping it's uniqueness was FULLY android/google Play compatible? You could see them driving up sales of BB10 phones to markets like China, etc. And, never having to apologize for lack of App compatibility.

I could see a partnership with Lenovo putting Blackberry Android onto Lenovo phones for their Enterprise Clients in China. I could see FoxConn making Blackberry Android phones for emerging markets like India.

And, the Blackberry10 devices, will remain the super secure devices for the governments, and armed forces, which do not have Google Play - but i suspect that they do not care.

They KEY to this strategy is not to put out just a Android phone (with stock Android interface). It would have to be a highly customized BB phone that literallly looks and feels and runs like Blackberry10, but with Google Play Services for full compatibility.

Blackberry was not making any money from it's app store anyway. So, they should finally cede that market. What they need to do is get their phones into the market, and the services that matter like BES12. They could make a Blackberry Android phone even more synergistic with BES12, so that their Android's have a leg up on Samsungs Android.
    early2bed likes this.
    10-19-14 09:49 AM
    Can we please close this thread? I don't even want to read it.

Posted via CB10
    boysontheblock likes this.
    10-19-14 12:19 PM
    I know. It sounds bad to the faithful. But, really, this is a total ju-jitsu move. Companies are allowed to customize Android as long as they follow Google Guidelines. I think that Blackberry can do both - make a true BB device, but still ride on Google's services. For those that hate the Samsung Android experience, or the HTC version, etc. A Blackberry Android experience might just be the ticket.

Just keep an open mind. How else will Blackberry ever get apps? The fact is more and more Apps are going to get ensnared in the need for Google Play.
    10-19-14 07:48 PM
    Get the **** of crackberry with your bull**** talk take your stupid android os an go make your own device an follow the guidelines

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 10:09 PM
    BlackBerry does so much more than just making handsets.

An Android phone doesn't make any sense when taking their overall strategy into account.

I think they can be profitable and successful serving a niche handset market. The days of trying to compete with iOS and Android directly are over.

Typed with dazzling speed and accuracy on my Q10
    10-20-14 08:17 AM
    Maybe Apple should consider to make an Android device then I'm sure that will help them to gain market share again or at least stop loosing market share.

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 10:07 AM
    Not a great idea, unless you are a bottom feeder.
    A year after doing that we will see a rehash of the subject just the title will change to "BB should launch a sub $50 Android phone".

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    10-23-14 10:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    I begin to think it's run its course, too...

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    10-29-14 11:32 PM
    Not a great idea, unless you are a bottom feeder.
    A year after doing that we will see a rehash of the subject just the title will change to "BB should launch a sub $50 Android phone".

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    Yep, here's the ~$70 BBM-capable super-duper BerryDroid...

:-D

Time for an Android phone by BBRY-indonesian-berrydroid_bbm_capable.jpg

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    10-29-14 11:50 PM
    Then why are you here, reading it and commenting on it?
    10-30-14 12:00 AM
    I don't agree with this. It would confuse consumers and enterprise to make android phones along with BlackBerry 10. Why tell enterprise to go with a less secure option when BlackBerry 's reputation is security based?

Would be a waste of money and time I think.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:36 AM
    The Android market place is already crowded with many players. Only Samsung is making money in the prenium/high end Android market. HTC have already made beautiful Android handsets, so has Sony, but both are losing money. For BlackBerry to enter this market and build an Android handset would be a losing proposition for the company.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    I agree BlackBerry is different and kinda cozy with android apps let's leave it that way !!!

Z10
    11-01-14 08:37 AM
    Maybe Apple should consider to make an Android device then I'm sure that will help them to gain market share again or at least stop loosing market share.

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    Leave the isheeps in their PEN.

Z10
    11-01-14 09:04 AM
    Look folks. There are two things that people need to get through their heads.

1. Blackberry will never be releasing a phone that has Android installed as the OS.

2. Google Services will never be part of a Blackberry OS.

Once you get your hear around that, then we can get on with our Blackberry lives.
    11-01-14 09:19 AM
    Look folks. There are two things that people need to get through their heads.

1. Blackberry will never be releasing a phone that has Android installed as the OS.

2. Google Services will never be part of a Blackberry OS.

Once you get your hear around that, then we can get on with our Blackberry lives.
    At one point, many said BBM would never be Android and iOS. Never say never.

#2 is a given though.
    11-01-14 09:26 AM
    At one point, many said BBM would never be Android and iOS. Never say never.

#2 is a given though.
    I questioned BBM on other devices, but I never said it wouldn't happen. But putting Android on a Blackberry device is just plain stupid. Android is not a secure OS and never will be with Google starting to clamp down on OEMs. Google wants the ad revenue and locking or securing Android would limit that revenue. Google is an advertising company with products and devices.
    11-01-14 09:31 AM
254 ... 23456 ...