Blackberry Thoughts

As a recent convert to blackberry from Android, I thought I�d post my thoughts and observations as I feel I�m part of a key demographic Blackberry is looking to establish.

I�ve been using android phones for the past 5 or 6 years. My current phone was a Samsung Galaxy S 2. Samsung got a lot right with this phone and I really didn't feel the need to upgrade until now.

I consider myself pretty tech savvy, and went through multiple roms. I also consider myself a tech enthusiast and would like to try something different. My brother most recently owned an iPhone (although just got rid of it for a note 3) and after messing with it had no desire to switch. Enter blackberry.

I recently picked up a Z30 and here are some general thoughts:

Marketing

As too many people have known, Blackberry has done a pretty terrible job marketing their new phones here in the US which is quite a shame.

I feel like theres some similarities between blackberry and apple in this regard. I remember it wasnt too long ago that Apple was the niche company that contrarians loved and blackberry was the 800 pound gorilla. It really seems like they have switched places completely.

I would love to see blackberry try to position itself not as a direct competitor to Apple and Android, but as an alternative for people that like being different. Not apple, not android. Be different. Or something along those lines. I�m quite a fan of the windows phone ads and feel they are in a similar vein.

I ordered my Z30 through a corporate account but before I did I wanted to play with one in store. I walked in and was actually surprised that a VZW employee knew what I was talking about. However the blackberry display was TINY and was not featured prominently at all.

I think blackberry missed a huge opportunity here. As a so called �exlusive� I really think they should have pushed hard to at least have some sort of pedestal/end cap etc set up in a decent position to get some exposure for this phone. Heck they could even have BB employees stationed at major VZW stores to help show off the new hardware! My limited experience was that the employees could care less.

I also havent seen any exposure on social media sites. It has to be one of the easiest/cheapest methods of exposing your product! For example, I love to fish. Fishing companies post �share and like to win� contests for the chance to win a fishing rod that routinely get a ton of likes! As you are all familiar when you like something it shows up in your timeline that friends get to see. Easy and free.

With their market share dwindling and the amount of cash on hand, I would certainly like to think that they have the resources to create at least SOME buzz about their products.

I�d also like to see them cater to their hardcore user base. Honestly after apple I think blackberry devotees are the most fanatical. Offering loytalty rewards (free phones, accessories, custom battery covers, discounts on future products� whatever) to let your base know you appreciate them goes a long way!

Hardware

When it comes to device hardware, I feel like there are basically two camps. High End/Apple and Plasticky/Android. While certainly there has been some crossover (HTC one etc) these two categories seem to cover the majority of the market.

Physically I think its reasonable to say that aesthetically and from a non internal hardware standpoint blackberry has done a decent job. All reports point to solid build quality. Maybe not quite the level of an iphone, but certainly better than say a galaxy s4.

Internally Blackberry has a bit of a problem though. I�m a firm believer that specs dont necessarily tell the tale. (Original iphone/apple anyone?) However, the general public has been duped into thinking you need the latest and greatest phone to do the same things you�ve been doing for the past two years on your current phone! I get it but most people dont. Blackberry needs to start competing in this arena at least until they increase their current market share.

Additionally as has been mentioned the Z30 screen and camera are not up to snuff. I dont care if you think its good enough for you (I�m coming from a GS2 and its good enough for me�) But its a hard sell especially when its sitting next to an HTC one/S4/G2. Flagship phones deserve flagship components. Yes its obvious.

The z30 speakers are amazing btw. I honestly thought people were just being excited and using hyperbole but seriously� They are great!

Packaging in high end accessories would also be a big plus. No more crappy bundled earbuds. Contract someone to make some for you.

Software

Software wise I think BB10 can be summed up in one word: Potential.

There was a definite learning curve for me, and I�m still learning, but I�m loving the gesture based interface. It really is awesome and intuitive. That said you can tell that this hasn�t been completely optimized and still lacks some of the features and refinement in android/ios.

I�ve given a lot of thought to the whole android compatibility thing and have come away thinking that its a positive point for blackberry. No longer will they be at an app disadvantage. This leads me to think they need to up their game with native apps. Apps purchased from the blackberry world store should definitely be superior to sideloaded apps and blackberry world should be heavily curated to favor this. There should be incentives for users AND developers to purchase/create native apps. (IE native app developers pay less fees etc)

Overall the thing I miss most from my android handset is google now. Some people can say its gimmicky all they want but I loved being able to push a button and have access to traffic, weather, scores, schedule appointments, see travel plans is AMAZING.

I would love to see blackberry implement a feature like this and feel that it would be a very logical extension of the overall hub interface. Google now is amazing and a solid blackberry alternative would be a fantastic selling point.

I also miss the deep integration with google services. I�m not sure blackberry could build a similar suite of services but it could be a nice alternative. I know google has said they will develop apps if more people start using bb10 but I�m not holding my breath�

And yes the lack of banking apps SUCKS! I�m hoping 10.2.1 can help remedy that...

I�d also like to see blackberry take a stance similar to apples regarding software updates with different scheduling. I�d love to see official updates come every 3-4 months and be made directly available to consumers. It REALLY holds them back IMO to have to wait for carriers to push out updates! Especially when there are major changes.

This software dilemma directly correlates to the same hardware issue. People do not want to wait. They want the latest and greatest immediately. The big advantage with frequent software updates is that you can feel like you're almost getting a new phone rather than having to wait to use your upgrade.

I know 10.2.1 isn't ready for yet but what an accomplishment it would be if they could roll it out almost immediately when it's deemed stable. (and continue that success with all future updates)

Much love has been given to the stock keyboard and it's definitely worthy of that praise. I'm an avid user of SwiftKey and it's the only paid app I recommend to everyone using an android device. I do miss the ability to swipe though. This should be an easy fix and a necessary software feature.

Conclusion

To sum it all up I really think Blackberry is on to something here. I know they are under new leadership and truly hope they find some wind for their sales. Healthy competition only benefits the consumer!

I�m fortunate that my account allows upgrades fairly frequently. I�m going to give blackberry a fair shake for the next 10 months. If they keep moving in the right direction I�ll stick with them instead of going back to android. I'm pretty bullish on blackberry... but then again I loved the palm os too!
    Last edited by sarcazmo; 11-18-13 at 10:46 PM.
    11-18-13 02:44 PM
    You're pretty right about everything. In fact, if you load a 10.2.1 leak os, you'll see that what you thought was good, is now two times better
    sarcazmo likes this.
    11-18-13 02:51 PM
    Great thoughtful review, wtg!
    sarcazmo likes this.
    11-18-13 02:52 PM
    Nice thoughts. Jumping to a z30 from a SG2 must be nice considering how old the s2 is. Enjoy your Z30 btw.
    11-18-13 02:54 PM
    Nice review. As a long term BB user (since 8 years) I totally agree with you.

I know for a fact, that some of the UI stuff TAT proposed was rejected by BB HQ. Probably there wanted to stay a bit conservative in order not to scare the old userbase off.

10.2.1 seems to be a major upgrade with regards to apps:

First of all the ability to install .apk files directly without repackaging and signing them.

Secondly the "Snap" app (see other post) is fantastic and the developer is extrememly fast to fix bugs and add new stuff to the app. He needs a special prize for his work and his app (if not blocked by Google) will be one of the most important value adding apps to the BB10 platform. What it does is simply decreasing the app gap by a multi factor. I know OS 10.2.1 is BB's work, but they are absolutely not in a position to release a "Snap"-like app.

Hopefully BB will realize that they need to have a top spec phone to be included in reviews etc. They have been stating for a long time that "BlackBerry is not part of the spec race". Technically they are right. Marketing-wise they are very wrong.
    sarcazmo likes this.
    11-18-13 03:05 PM
    Thanks for your un biased thorough review!
    sarcazmo likes this.
    11-18-13 08:49 PM
    Added a few more thoughts to the end of the software section.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    11-18-13 10:05 PM
    The best thing about being open to other platforms is the different perspectives. Good stuff, OP. I still rock PalmOS periodically too LOL.

I agree. BB10 had a lot of potential.

Not happy with everything that Google is doing with Android, but Google Now is a phenomenal anchor app. Something like that on BB10 would be well received, I think.
    sarcazmo likes this.
    11-18-13 10:11 PM
    I enjoyed reading your thoughts! I came from a Galaxy Nexus, tried a Nokia Lumia 521 for a few months to give Windows Phone a fair shake, then finally settled on an iPhone 5, which overall has been my best smartphone to date.

But before all of them was my BlackBerry Curve 8530. And I've also picked up a PlayBook, which despite its neglected state is still an amazing device (for me).

As much as I love my iPhone, it is first and foremost a media consumption device. It's almost like the actual phone and communication aspects of the device were an afterthought. I mean, the original iPhone was actually released to market without native SMS capability. Sheesh.

What I have always loved about BlackBerry devices is that they are first and foremost communication devices. They make it so easy to manage contacts, emails, texts, instant messages, etc. and are very efficient communication tools. The iOS notification center just doesn't cut it for me. I still have to open each individual app to view and respond to messages. It's inefficient. It's insufficient. For me, at least.

I am very seriously considering picking up a Z30. I know Chen has said he's committed to the handset business, but the truth is nobody knows what BlackBerry's focus will be a month or even a week from now, and I feel like I want to get a BB10 device while the getting is good. Forget apps. The HUB and true multi-tasking are beckoning to me...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using CB Forums mobile app
    sarcazmo and milo53 like this.
    11-18-13 10:31 PM
    Few more thoughts on the software side of things.

I'm not sure why you can't just open an app. Why does it have to open an active frame and then maximize. It should just open instantly.

Also, with my android handset, I could type out a person's name and their number would show up and I could select who I wanted to call... Now I'm not sure how to do that with BB.
    11-21-13 06:06 PM
    To find a contact or anything on your phone use the search icon on the home screen (magnifying glass) and type the persons name or the app your looking for and it will appear. That simple.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 09:03 AM
    Right that works. However if I finish a call and need to make another it would be much more convenient to just use the dialer to find what I'm looking for.

Similarly the lack of a way to go straight to the hub without returning to the last screen is equally frustrating. Would love to be able to do this from any screen including lock screen.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 05:33 PM
    Thanks for what seems like a fair review. 'Potential' seems to sum up a lot of it, and the big question now is whether the firm will have time to capitalize on whatever potential the platform offers.
    11-22-13 08:02 PM
    The best thing about being open to other platforms is the different perspectives. Good stuff, OP. I still rock PalmOS periodically too LOL.

I agree. BB10 had a lot of potential.

Not happy with everything that Google is doing with Android, but Google Now is a phenomenal anchor app. Something like that on BB10 would be well received, I think.
    You mean has not had right?
    11-22-13 08:22 PM
    You mean has not had right?
    Exactly.
    11-22-13 08:53 PM