Blackberry was a leader in the smartphone "segment" since as early as the 2000s. Disrupted by Apple's iPhone in 2007, a phone that was not taken seriously by neither the two main leaders at the time, Nokia nor Blackberry, a typical start-up strategy that was nurtured by Nokia' developers own "participation" in its ecosystem, before it was even a competitive feature. And then Apple sold well, and became the new cool kid. And Blackberry did exactly what it should have not, tried to compete by features, instead of trying to innovate on its own based on its own special, very advantageous, core value unit... and it apparently lost. Then came BB10 which, not just tried to play on features, but tried entering Apple's and Android's war of apps thinking that it will be able to win, and it did not.

I am not here to criticise Blackberry, nor its management. But instead of trying to play Samsung/Apple's. Game of the next big thing; it's should be playing Blackberry's next big thing. Go back to be exclusive, not too widespread, since already hardware business will be losing money for all companies not just BlackBerry, a bit of a boutique-like not too accessible device, produce less-than the demand to create lust and put pride aside and try to be innovative the REAL BlackBerry way and not just "relatively" innovative.

The next Big Blackberry Thing is in the "Internet" rather than the "thing".

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 01:04 PM
    Blackberry hasn't lost anything if you ask me, I think everyone will be surprised when they come out with there new devices later this year and next.
    beamolite likes this.
    05-18-15 03:24 PM
    Blackberry hasn't lost anything if you ask me, I think everyone will be surprised when they come out with there new devices later this year and next.
    True!

 Diplomatic Passport 
    anon(9208252) likes this.
    05-18-15 04:27 PM
    It was BB10 which took time to bake! Its doing well now specially 10.3.2 is near perfect! Devices will come soon

 Diplomatic Passport 
    05-18-15 04:29 PM
    BlackBerry 10 was about 5 years late. Maybe more. I think it is extraordinarily unlikely that BlackBerry will recover from that. It isn't a business that forgives 5 or 6 year response times.

Posted via CB10
    donemt likes this.
    05-18-15 07:31 PM
    BlackBerry is turning to the Internet of Things (aka vapourware) while they can't even get BB10 on more than one platform.
    Seems like a sound strategy!
    05-18-15 08:03 PM
    BlackBerry is turning to the Internet of Things (aka vapourware) while they can't even get BB10 on more than one platform.
    Seems like a sound strategy!
    Apple isn't a success with Mac's. They went somewhere else. The future successful BlackBerry may not be the device maker that we would hope them to be.
    jas1978 likes this.
    05-18-15 08:13 PM
    The future successful BlackBerry may not be the device maker that we would hope them to be.
    It won't be.
    05-18-15 08:15 PM
    It's a bit too late for them to go "exclusive."

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 10:41 PM
    Apple isn't a success with Mac's. They went somewhere else. The future successful BlackBerry may not be the device maker that we would hope them to be.
    Apple has the number 3 spot for Laptops market share in the US with 13.7 percent of the US market share behind HP (27.7 percent) and Dell (24 percent). And I bet that Apple's profits with the 13.7 percent share is way more than HP and Dell make with their shares. They have leveraged the something else, iPod, into iPhones, into iPad, into increased PC/laptop sales and have the highest customer service ratings in the industry. BlackBerry would love to be as big of a failure in smartphones as Apple is "failing" with Macs.

Posted with my Z30
    GadgetTravel and donemt like this.
    05-20-15 08:11 AM
    Apple has the number 3 spot for Laptops market share in the US with 13.7 percent of the US market share behind HP (27.7 percent) and Dell (24 percent). And I bet that Apple's profits with the 13.7 percent share is way more than HP and Dell make with their shares. They have leveraged the something else, iPod, into iPhones, into iPad, into increased PC/laptop sales and have the highest customer service ratings in the industry. BlackBerry would love to be as big of a failure in smartphones as Apple is "failing" with Macs.
    I was pointing out that Apple wasn't a success with Macs, as their /original/ users had hoped it would be. (Remember the near bankruptcy?) It was the introduction of iPod's, then iPhone's, then iPad's that got them where they are today, just as you have pointed out. Similarly, BlackBerry's success may not be with new handsets, as its /original/ users, "us", would hope it would be. I'm surprised that was so hard to comprehend.
    05-20-15 12:02 PM
    I was pointing out that Apple wasn't a success with Macs, as their /original/ users had hoped it would be. (Remember the near bankruptcy?) It was the introduction of iPod's, then iPhone's, then iPad's that got them where they are today, just as you have pointed out. Similarly, BlackBerry's success may not be with new handsets, as its /original/ users, "us", would hope it would be. I'm surprised that was so hard to comprehend.
    You said isn't a success. If you had stated wasn't a success that makes it a totally different statement. That isn't a comprehension issue, it is incorrectly worded statement that completely changes the meaning of what is said. BlackBerry was a success based off business success and spreading out to consumers, now they are trying to create that again, or at least that is what the current statement implies. The difference is they were the only game in town at the time, and now they are not, and are substantially behind. Maybe they will find something else, but I don't think even they know what that is yet and are still trying to figure out what that something is and are just buying time until they do.

Posted with my Z30
    05-20-15 01:14 PM
    You said isn't a success. If you had stated wasn't a success that makes it a totally different statement. That isn't a comprehension issue, it is incorrectly worded statement that completely changes the meaning of what is said. BlackBerry was a success based off business success and spreading out to consumers, now they are trying to create that again, or at least that is what the current statement implies. The difference is they were the only game in town at the time, and now they are not, and are substantially behind. Maybe they will find something else, but I don't think even they know what that is yet and are still trying to figure out what that something is and are just buying time until they do.
    You're right. I didn't word it well. As for the present...

If we use the metric of marketshare as a measure of success, which many people here cite BlackBerry's small numbers as being unsuccessful, the Macs, including laptops, are not successful. Mac laptops can be profitable, but that won't remove the stigma of having a small marketshare. Would it be enough for BlackBerry to be profitable with handsets to say they're successful? Or would they need to be dominant with "something else" to declare success? It seems that they would.
    05-20-15 03:54 PM
    You're right. I didn't word it well. As for the present...

If we use the metric of marketshare as a measure of success, which many people here cite BlackBerry's small numbers as being unsuccessful, the Macs, including laptops, are not successful. Mac laptops can be profitable, but that won't remove the stigma of having a small marketshare. Would it be enough for BlackBerry to be profitable with handsets to say they're successful? Or would they need to be dominant with "something else" to declare success? It seems that they would.
    Depends on how you look at it. If you are stating that Mac, or really OS X, next to Windows is small market share that is one way to look at it. But if you Say Apple versus Lenovo, then Apple is winning, or Apple vs HP, then they are a little behind. Windows is much like Android, everyone can build a machine to run it, but none of the OEM are making tons on it, Microsoft is the one really profiting. Apple iOS is significantly behind Android in market share, but reports are that Apple is getting 90%+ of the profits in the smartphone market. So even though Android installs dwarf iOS installs, Apple is taking 90% of the cash thrown at the segment. I would expect a similar higher number of profit share than the market share for laptops and PCs just because of the high price. Not 90%, but I would venture 25% not being unreasonable. BlackBerry is at less than 1% now and not making any cash on the handsets according to Chen.

As for the measure of success for BlackBerry, I don't know what it is. Chen stated a milestone of 10 Million Bb10 devices in a year. A good success would be to hit a self stated milestone. I expect this to be changed though as they are not going to hit that. Another could be profitability, but at what level or anything like that it is all subjective. I guess the stock market and investors and the board unfortunately will be the ultimate determination of success. BlackBerry could claim success for some data point they determine but will people here or the entities mentioned above agree with that?

For me personally a success measure for them would be a higher end all touch, and get a true Google Play solution in place. They can start to build off of that where with the current conditions in place they simply can't compete. They are responsible for the Android runtime, now they must make it a truly viable solution by any means necessary, except make an Android handset.

Posted with my Z30
    05-20-15 04:23 PM