I was reading just now Sony are focusing on 'photography' in phones and it got me thinking that I think they should team up with Blackberry. Before I got my first Blackberry in 2010, I was always on the Sony Eric's from 2005. For me I just loved the whole concept of taking photos with a music player device. Later on as technology and email became ever more mobile I went for the switch to Blackberry Curve. The one thing I missed was a decent camera and easy to use video camera. The iPhone was always at a premium and at the time Android in its early days never appealed to me.

So that is a bit of history of what I always looked for in phones. If Sony were to go Sony-BB I think they would bring some fantastic devices together that would easily rival the Lumia 1020. I personally hate this Google/Apple love in where everything you own is so easily synced in with one other, Sony and Blackberry should team up and make something completely new.
    anon5129477 likes this.
    09-04-13 02:01 PM
    I think they could compliment each other nicely as well, although more of a partnership than an outright purchase. What Sony might look to gain out of this would be getting QNX to integrate their various entertainment and infotainment systems - car audio and home audio, TVs and PlayStation. This could also help them to differentiate themselves in the smartphone market and they might be interested in completing the 'mobile computing' picture which would see the accelerated decline of the PC.

Blackberry gets to partner with a Consumer focussed company who knows how to market (at least used to and could again with the right vision). Broader acceptance of and penetration for BB10.

It is still curious to me that BB10 has no presence in Japan, there has been little to no mention of this for some time, it could still be meaningful.
    09-04-13 02:11 PM
    I don't know about a buyout but a collaboration wouldn't should too bad. They have car stereo systems and TV interfaces that could use a great interface. BlackBerry knows how to get the right "feel" in a GUI.
    09-04-13 02:23 PM
    I would love using my BlackBerry as a keyboard on the PS4, chatting to my online mates, using the Playstation app, turning your PS4 on wirelessly, launching games etc

The Gamer's Network- C00015A3 || From my Z on .1047
    09-04-13 02:39 PM
    Want a good camera for your phone? We'll Sony thought of something just for you http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/9/4/...-price-featyou. Not ready for pairing with bb10 yet, but it is for android and you could probably convert the apk to bar and have it work. Anyways I'm sure someone will test it sooner rather than later and your problem is sloved.

Posted with a QWERTY keyboard
    09-04-13 03:00 PM
    The company that first brought you root kits on music CDs so you wouldn't "steal" from them, and then ran such an insecure site this website was created: http://www.hassonybeenhackedthisweek.com/

Combined with the company that is one of the most secure consumer electronics makers.

I can't see that ending well.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 03:58 PM
    The company that first brought you root kits on music CDs so you wouldn't "steal" from them, and then ran such an insecure site this website was created: http://www.hassonybeenhackedthisweek.com/

Combined with the company that is one of the most secure consumer electronics makers.

I can't see that ending well.

Posted via CB10
    Sony and security don't go hand in hand. I'm still backing Cisco as a partnership.

BlackBerry Z10 | Verizon | 10.2.0.1371 | In Squircle We Trust
    ibpluto likes this.
    09-04-13 04:05 PM
    I hope not. Sony is about as far from enterprise as I can imagine and if there is one place where BB can domonate it is the enterprise.
    09-04-13 04:51 PM
    Sony makes really nice handsets. The biggest disappointment is they run android. If they ran bb10 it would be amazing!

Posted via CB10
    Dude_9 and ibpluto like this.
    09-04-13 05:36 PM
    Sony makes really nice handsets. The biggest disappointment is they run android. If they ran bb10 it would be amazing!

Posted via CB10
    Disappointment? I'm sure Android fans have a different perspective LOL.
    09-04-13 05:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Even though they may run Android, their custom UI is pretty cool. I'm a Vanilla guy myself. Never used themes on legacy BBs, launchers on Android, or any customizations on iOS (via Jailbreak). I go with the experience because I like it the way it is. Even if BB10 themes came out I probably wouldn't use them. Although I digressed a little (or a lot) I prefer my devices stock, and even I think the Sony custom UI is pretty neat.

BlackBerry Z10 | Verizon | 10.2.0.1371 | In Squircle We Trust
    09-05-13 11:33 PM
    I would love using my BlackBerry as a keyboard on the PS4, chatting to my online mates, using the Playstation app, turning your PS4 on wirelessly, launching games etc
    Do existing Sony smartphones have that functionality?
    09-05-13 11:55 PM
    It's going to be an App for PS4 for Android ad iOS I believe.

Also, I don't really see Sony being interested in BB. They just turned around their company and are still going uphill. Just got back to some profit after a few years of losses. I don't think they would like to invest in another struggling company.
    09-06-13 12:29 AM
    I agree that a partnership between BlackBerry and SONY would be really cool but I don't see this happening

BlackBerry and SONY are two of my favourite brands.
    09-06-13 12:39 AM
    I have been dreaming this for along time now. BB10 , Blackberry are making the best electronics in the world, and so does Sony. I think Blackberry customers would be pleased to see Sony entertainment services on BB10 with all the NFC and remote funcionality that Android has. This is truley what a buy in partnership is about. Cross marketing and a stronger presence that penetrates deeper into the market.

Sony has been struggling the last few years, the average person doesnt make much due to the economy. I think a BB10 partnership would be alot better idea than spinning off entertainment services like Loeb suggested.

I also agree that QNX working with PlayStation could really provide some excellent opportunity in the auto industry.

INVESTOR RELATIONS

Sony is a Company that inspires and fulfills curiosity, and our vision is to use our unlimited passion for technology, content and services to deliver groundbreaking excitement and entertainment, as only Sony can.

With honesty and integrity, Sony strives to create things for every kind of imagination. In so doing, the Company will continue to expand in emerging markets, develop new businesses and accelerate innovation, all to generate new value for investors and new experiences for consumers. The latest Investor Relations information is available at sony.net/SonyInfo/IR.
    Last edited by Motorhead777; 09-08-13 at 08:16 AM.
    09-08-13 08:04 AM
    Do existing Sony smartphones have that functionality?
    No they do not. You get playstation mobil on the phone which is really just a fancy name for a collection of " regular " games. No interaction with the PLaystation itself. On the Tablets though, you get some connection to the Playstation hardware. More room there for controls and things.
    09-08-13 08:10 AM
    Three reasons why Sony will never buy BlackBerry:
    1. They're well established with Android.
    2. They had a partner in Ericsson which they divorced.
    3. They recently put out a call to developers to make apps to control their cameras on iOS, Android and Windows.

Sorry but Sony is not in the least bit interested in BlackBerry.
    09-08-13 11:45 AM
    Three reasons why Sony will never buy BlackBerry:
    1. They're well established with Android.
    2. They had a partner in Ericsson which they divorced.
    3. They recently put out a call to developers to make apps to control their cameras on iOS, Android and Windows.

Sorry but Sony is not in the least bit interested in BlackBerry.
    Your Wrong and none of your reasons make any sense at all. You are purely speculating and your obviously uninformed about the Ericson deal. hahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaa BTW Sony Ericson could not compete with BB. Sony wasn't interested and wanted their own brand of Smartphone, how long did it take them to pull it off ?
    They would be very interested to penetrate more into the market with BB Giant. Sony are not fools.

This really is not about " buying " Blackberry " Its about partnership!!!
    09-08-13 07:07 PM
    Your Wrong and none of your reasons make any sense at all. You are purely speculating and your obviously uninformed about the Ericson deal.
    It's not speculation at all.
    09-08-13 07:20 PM
    birdman_38 is right on the money.

Sony just recently "broke up" with Ericsson, and the last thing they want is another partner (they've explicitly said this).

And Sony is doing much better lately with their Android offerings, and gaining respect and marketshare. The last thing they'd want to do is bog themselves down trying to prop up a failing platform at the same time.
    09-08-13 09:37 PM
    Comparing Ericson consumer smartphone business to Blackberry is really the most uninformed comparison I have seen anyone make in a long long time. Truly a careless statement there guys. Sony could very much profit from a partnership with BB, ask Sonys shareholders!
    09-09-13 03:22 PM
    No they do not. You get playstation mobil on the phone which is really just a fancy name for a collection of " regular " games. No interaction with the PLaystation itself. On the Tablets though, you get some connection to the Playstation hardware. More room there for controls and things.
    Funnily enough you can use Sony phones as an Xbox keyboard. Has nothing to do with the phone. If sony wanted to let people use phones as a second screen for their PS4 they'd release apps for every phone OS and provide the software update on the console like Microsoft has.
    09-09-13 04:17 PM
    Comparing Ericson consumer smartphone business to Blackberry is really the most uninformed comparison I have seen anyone make in a long long time. Truly a careless statement there guys.
    Someone compared BlackBerry to Ericksson? Sorry, I missed that comment.
    09-09-13 05:48 PM
    U should send a letter to Mr. Kazuo Hirai.
    09-13-13 01:42 PM
    I would love that Sony has eating all.other with their specs and amazing design

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 01:49 PM