So I was thinking the other day... Jolla has an os and a 4.5 inch but at medicore specs. droid/apple doesn't have anything like the hub / os. So why not make an opensource edition of BB10 to run on other phones. You might know of this road from the software world with RHEL have Fedora for experimentation. . Like Red hat RIM would have the options of taking the things they liked and puting them into their official / enterprise edition.

With 10.2.1 soon to be abandoned and RIM putting their focus on enterprise I do not see a downside to this. I would love to see something like BB10 spread like a step fire to other devices. Futhermore if some abandoned version of BB10 was rootable you'd be able to get Google services up and running if you desired to do so.

Such a move would probably lessen the stain of development if the opensource community would focus on UI UX. And RIM could focus more on the enterprise apps features.

By making an open flavor of what I belive to be the worlds greatest Mobile OS it might gain popularity. Regardless of how you look at it all should be happy. I Know you have security issues but since the big guys have speciel editions anyway and the little guy only have protection for procket theifs and script kiddies this should be doable.

My cents, what do you think, could they make such a BOLD move?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    09-09-14 02:42 PM
    and the security side will go pear shaped too?
    09-09-14 02:51 PM
    Google Play services won't come to BlackBerry. Ever. It will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be on a BlackBerry. Never. Android don't allow forked Androids OS in any way to have Google Play services. Also, 10.2.1 isn't being abandoned, it's being improved so much it's now 10.3.*. Doesn't mean they've given up on it

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 02:54 PM
    No, they shouldn't.
    09-09-14 03:04 PM
    This isn't for real right?...

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 03:08 PM
    Google Play services won't come to BlackBerry. Ever. It will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be on a BlackBerry. Never. Android don't allow forked Androids OS in any way to have Google Play services. Also, 10.2.1 isn't being abandoned, it's being improved so much it's now 10.3.*. Doesn't mean they've given up on it

Posted via CB10
    Well I see that closed source and BlackBerry goes hand in hand. Tell the allowing part to these guys UPDATED: Installing Google Play On Jolla | Latest Jolla Sailfish News that's like saying snap is forbidden. .: Snap - Red Light Of Love, Ltd.

I don't think the average guy has special security unless an MDM or other soft/hardware is involved.

Another question is wouldn't it be possible to make software non-rootable even if you had rootable opensource editions? (they could make the run on other phones only).

Lastly - Yes I was bored and tired of all the Apple Jib-Jab:-)
    09-09-14 03:17 PM
    So I was thinking the other day... Jolla has an os and a 4.5 inch but at medicore specs. droid/apple doesn't have anything like the hub / os. So why not make an opensource edition of BB10 to run on other phones. You might know of this road from the software world with RHEL have Fedora for experimentation. . Like Red hat RIM would have the options of taking the things they liked and puting them into their official / enterprise edition.

With 10.2.1 soon to be abandoned and RIM putting their focus on enterprise I do not see a downside to this. I would love to see something like BB10 spread like a step fire to other devices. Futhermore if some abandoned version of BB10 was rootable you'd be able to get Google services up and running if you desired to do so.

Such a move would probably lessen the stain of development if the opensource community would focus on UI UX. And RIM could focus more on the enterprise apps features.

By making an open flavor of what I belive to be the worlds greatest Mobile OS it might gain popularity. Regardless of how you look at it all should be happy. I Know you have security issues but since the big guys have speciel editions anyway and the little guy only have protection for procket theifs and script kiddies this should be doable.

It would be a stupid move. First, they are moving into new versions and not abandoning BB10. An open source version would not work for security so you get a rooted version as you even say. That would confuse the situation where you have a secure BB10 and an insecure version. What value would it be to share holders by giving away the source to it patents. I am glad you are not part of Blackberry.
    09-09-14 03:18 PM
    It would be a stupid move. First, they are moving into new versions and not abandoning BB10. An open source version would not work for security so you get a rooted version as you even say. That would confuse the situation where you have a secure BB10 and an insecure version. What value would it be to share holders by giving away the source to it patents. I am glad you are not part of Blackberry.
    Very serious aren't you? still think this could be do technically without safety hazards - depending on how your pair the handsetunits with a company.
    09-09-14 03:23 PM
    Well I see that closed source and BlackBerry goes hand in hand. Tell the allowing part to these guys UPDATED: Installing Google Play On Jolla | Latest Jolla Sailfish News that's like saying snap is forbidden. .: Snap - Red Light Of Love, Ltd.

I don't think the average guy has special security unless an MDM or other soft/hardware is involved.

Another question is wouldn't it be possible to make software non-rootable even if you had rootable opensource editions? (they could make the run on other phones only).

Lastly - Yes I was bored and tired of all the Apple Jib-Jab:-)
    That's because Android is open source to use however you want, but the Google apps are closed source. In order to use Google apps properly on a Android OS, they have to pass certain tests; one being the OS not being forked. Hey, guess what? The Android Runtime is a forked Android. That means, bye bye Google Play anything. Jolla (if it's true, I don't care) has either past all these tests or they've hardwired Google Play into the OS. BlackBerry has placed a stub in place to avoid this legal issue

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 03:23 PM
    And oh, it's not official, it spits out errors in certain apps

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 03:28 PM
    took me 10 sec to find this.: BES 10.2 Adds Control in Case BlackBerry 10 Gets Rooted - BerryReview so definety doable whilst keeping BB secure of course you would have to lower a fence whilst keeping other high. It might not be doable due to hardware / chip protection but it would still be possible to fork an opensource edition to other hardware - spreading the messeage.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    09-09-14 03:30 PM
    took me 10 sec to find this.: BES 10.2 Adds Control in Case BlackBerry 10 Gets Rooted - BerryReview so definety doable whilst keeping BB secure of course you would have to lower a fence whilst keeping other high. It might not be doable due to hardware / chip protection but it would still be possible to fork an opensource edition to other hardware - spreading the messeage.
    Well yeah, if you put in a protection saying it's to prevent something, it's gives out a better message than just saying, "we can't be rooted" (which is actually incorrect)

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 03:39 PM
    As BB uses an encryted boot loader with unique keys... unsure how it could be rooted without an eprom and lots of time... as making open source... no chance as you just give hackers a roadmap to you OS.... as mentioned.. there is no "old BB10"... unsure how OP got the idea it was being orphaned as opposed to an incremental upgrade.....
    09-09-14 04:49 PM
    As BB uses an encryted boot loader with unique keys... unsure how it could be rooted without an eprom and lots of time... as making open source... no chance as you just give hackers a roadmap to you OS.... as mentioned.. there is no "old BB10"... unsure how OP got the idea it was being orphaned as opposed to an incremental upgrade.....
    It's like saying Android 2.3 has been abandoned (it's still supported to be honest!)

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 04:52 PM
    It's like saying Android 2.3 has been abandoned (it's still supported to be honest!)

Posted via CB10
    I may have been unclear but given time it will be abandoned as passport classic refreshed Z3 will come with 10.3/1 thus posing less of a security risks. For instance you won't be able to downgrade your password - why would you - still can't be done...
    09-09-14 05:13 PM
    I may have been unclear but given time it will be abandoned as passport classic refreshed Z3 will come with 10.3/1 thus posing less of a security risks. For instance you won't be able to downgrade your password - why would you - still can't be done...
    Now I have no idea what you're talking about. At all

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 05:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's common to give free the previous version in the open source / enterprise software world which I'm obviously relating to from the first post.
    09-09-14 05:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't matter, because it will never happen. The only way BlackBerry could do it would be to strip all the IP out of it, which wouldn't leave much. It would be even more bare bones then OpenWebOS was. You can argue this till the cows come home, it's still not going to happen.
    Bluenoser63 and Jakob Greve like this.
    09-09-14 05:56 PM
    Regardless of how you look at it all should be happy.

Not all. Shareholders won't be happy giving away valuable IP.

Today's wanting everything free consumer would.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 06:12 PM
    It's common to give free the previous version in the open source / enterprise software world which I'm obviously relating to from the first post.
    But BlackBerry is the leader in enterprise security, why would it leave it's previous software (which the current software is built on) laying around for anyone to read? It could allows to make even better software

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 06:53 PM
    It doesn't matter, because it will never happen. The only way BlackBerry could do it would be to strip all the IP out of it, which wouldn't leave much. It would be even more bare bones then OpenWebOS was. You can argue this till the cows come home, it's still not going to happen.
    As well as that, it's a lot of work for very little gain. BlackBerry isn't in a position to do charity work

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 06:57 PM
    Very serious aren't you? still think this could be do technically without safety hazards - depending on how your pair the handsetunits with a company.
    Yes. As a IT manager for a large company and a software developer, I am always serious about OS development and security. I have to be.
    09-09-14 07:01 PM
    You don't understand what that does, that locks out devices in the case of a rooted system. To have a secure and insecure system is just foolish. You also don't mention anything about all the patents that would have to be stripped out. And to remove everything and have a working OS would take a lot of time and resources that Blackberry cannot afford as there is no return. Do you actually know how many developers are actually working on the open source core OS code of RedHat?
    09-09-14 07:06 PM
    Please tell us how much of the OS code has changed between 10.2 and 10.3.1?
    09-09-14 07:08 PM