I would argue that releasing devices that can run either BB10 or Android could benefit BlackBerry. Result: you could purchase model X with BB10 if you're security oriented or purchase model X with Android if your App oriented.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-16 04:06 PM
    I would argue that releasing devices that can run either BB10 or Android could benefit BlackBerry. Result: you could purchase model X with BB10 if you're security oriented or purchase model X with Android if your App oriented.

Posted via CB10
    How many phones are there on the market, that can do what you are asking?

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    06-03-16 12:00 AM
    If there aren't any, then there's a good opportunity.

Just taking it further :
    I did prefer a dual boot option or a VM ware on the device to host both the OSs at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 12:07 AM
    HYPERRRRVISORRRRRRRRRRR urr durrrrrrrr

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    Avenzuno and Plazmic Flame like this.
    06-03-16 05:32 AM
    Samsung was supposed to release a phone with VMware hypervisor back in 2011 but to my knowledge never made it to the consumer, know they have KNOX hypervisor so the technology exist for phones.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 06:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry already said they weren't interested in spending the money to acquire new chipset drivers for BB10. There is no return on investment because the install base is so low.

They also got rid of almost all of their BB10 developers. They clearly are not intending to take this any further.
    Tien-Lin Chang and JeepBB like this.
    06-03-16 07:35 AM
    Samsung was supposed to release a phone with VMware hypervisor back in 2011 but to my knowledge never made it to the consumer, know they have KNOX hypervisor so the technology exist for phones.

Posted via CB10
    What would happen think it would be like if BB can come up with such an option?

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 08:03 AM
    It's not technically possible. Unfortunately.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2639
    06-03-16 08:09 AM

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2639
    Hope you don't believe in that .

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 08:11 AM
    What the OP asked for has been done before... M8 came with either Android or Windows.

Now it isn't possible for an OEM to do a full Google Services Android and a non-compliant version of Android (like BB10). So "technically" (more about rules and less about technology) it isn't possible to do both BB10 and full Android. And most OS manufactures have already precluded the option of installing on top of another OS like a hypervisor.
    06-03-16 08:45 AM
    I think it's definitely possible. The problem is it would be expensive, and BlackBerry would have to chase down half the people they just laid off and convince them to come back to do it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and JeepBB like this.
    06-03-16 09:12 AM
    Possible, but currently not feasible.

*ME173X
    PALoeza likes this.
    06-03-16 09:17 AM
    Interesting idea, but

1)Those hardcore BB buyer don't care the ability of loading android rom -> extra RD cost to this fragile company

2)Can BB really make a phone that is hardware-wise attractive with competitive price tag to the android buyers? From the history they didn't even trying -> not going to seduce the public and make positive cash flow into the company -> unsold devices accumulation
    06-03-16 09:22 AM
    I think it's definitely possible. The problem is it would be expensive, and BlackBerry would have to chase down half the people they just laid off and convince them to come back to do it.
    (Cost of badgering Qualcomm into making drivers + cost of re-hiring all those laid off developers + cost of R&D) >>> revenue from the six people who still care
    DrBoomBotz, JeepBB and Avenzuno like this.
    06-03-16 09:23 AM
    Unsold devices... what number are we speaking of?

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 09:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Good question...

Last Quarter Chen said the Classic was out of production, yet it's still listed as a current model. Supposedly for the last few devcies inventory in channel has been kept very low. But what very low means is still an unknown. Just how much inventory does BlackBerry have of older Legacy Phones....
    06-03-16 10:20 AM
    Good question...

Last Quarter Chen said the Classic was out of production, yet it's still listed as a current model. Supposedly for the last few devcies inventory in channel has been kept very low. But what very low means is still an unknown. Just how much inventory does BlackBerry have of older Legacy Phones....
    And in addition to unsold completed phones, you also have to think about unused parts inventory (screens, boards, etc.), and outstanding purchase commitments.
    06-03-16 10:30 AM
    And in addition to unsold completed phones, you also have to think about unused parts inventory (screens, boards, etc.), and outstanding purchase commitments.
    That's why I think instead of having someone build a "unique" all touch device (?Hamburg?), buy someone else's production model and rebranding it make a lot of senses for the market BlackBerry is going after (not consumers).

Just no way to do that with the PKB phone (?ROME?).
    DrBoomBotz and app_Developer like this.
    06-03-16 10:53 AM
    BlackBerry would have to chase down half the people they just laid off and convince them to come back to do it.
    Most of the BB10 team was laid off 18 months ago - they'e LONG gone, spread out to all kinds of other companies. There isn't any getting them back - not most of them, anyway.
    JeepBB and DrBoomBotz like this.
    06-03-16 01:37 PM
    Most of the BB10 team was laid off 18 months ago - they'e LONG gone, spread out to all kinds of other companies. There isn't any getting them back - not most of them, anyway.
    I think this point is largely lost on CB when people talk about what Chen should do with BB10. "Get the team to do this!" "Get them to do that!" I think people here expect that the BB10 offices look like this:

Release devices that can run either BB10 or Android-google-office-pictures-2.jpg

When in reality, the BB10 team offices probably look a lot closer to this in 2016:

Release devices that can run either BB10 or Android-article-2597176-1cd6798a00000578-652_964x637.jpg

Chen can't be expected to execute on any grand plan to save BB10.
    06-03-16 01:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry reports massive Q3 loss, takes huge charge for unsold BlackBerry 10 handsets

like billion level of lost?

Nah it depends on how much you expect the market will take your product so you prepare for it. But if you make device number small like jolla level then for sure the price will be high enough to push public away from it.
    06-04-16 03:53 AM
    BlackBerry reports massive Q3 loss, takes huge charge for unsold BlackBerry 10 handsets

like billion level of lost?

Nah it depends on how much you expect the market will take your product so you prepare for it. But if you make device number small like jolla level then for sure the price will be high enough to push public away from it.

Release devices that can run either BB10 or Android-img_20160604_095220.png
    Thanks for reminding me why I hate the stock browser so much. And for reminding me that I need to set the default to Browsie.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    06-04-16 08:54 AM
    I think this point is largely lost on CB when people talk about what Chen should do with BB10. "Get the team to do this!" "Get them to do that!" I think people here expect that the BB10 offices look like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	google-office-pictures-2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	401372

When in reality, the BB10 team offices probably look a lot closer to this in 2016:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	article-2597176-1CD6798A00000578-652_964x637.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	401373

Chen can't be expected to execute on any grand plan to save BB10.
    Lol!
    They should have at least a caretaker to secure the office and handle the 10.3.3 update.

*ME173X
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-04-16 09:02 AM
    Lol!
    They should have at least a caretaker to secure the office and handle the 10.3.3 update.

*ME173X
    Bloody cold! Lol
    06-04-16 09:50 AM
    Lol!

*ME173X
    Found him:

Release devices that can run either BB10 or Android-20081205fr2204-office-space.jpg
    johnny_bravo72 and JeepBB like this.
    06-04-16 10:13 AM
28 12