Just a simple question in regards to Blackberry, Security, and Quantum Computers.

I'm not going to get into what a Quantum Computer is and how it works, there's plenty out there that can educate you... my question is more along the lines of ... when will it be too late for Blackberry in terms of.... i haven't heard anything about them owning one.... Google has had one for a couple years now... albeit rudimentary in what it can do... that's still two years longer than Blackberry... and considering what these things are capable of... how long before it's Google that is able to say they are the most secure on the planet by applying what they've learned from having a quantum computer over traditional computers...

I know this isn't going to be an issue for a while, but seeing as how a quantum computer can crack even the most secure systems in today's traditional computers... wouldn't you think Blackberry should be all over these as soon as humanly possible to at the very least begin preparing for that eventual day when quantum computing really takes off and essentially renders Blackberry's bread and butter (security) completely obsolete?

Is this another failure to see whats coming error on Blackberry's part? or is it simply too early.... and if it's too early... then you would be conceding that it's totally fine to let Google have a 2.... 3.... if not more year-head-start...

hmmmmm....

should probably add... not talking so much about cell phones or handhelds here as much as actual computing servers , enterprise, and general security suite running across all blackberry systems and infrastructure...
    10-03-16 09:31 AM
    For those interested here's the wiki on it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing

And who is to say that BlackBerry doesn't have one? JUST because you haven't heard about it!

I DID find this......

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/03/...-science-fund/
    zephyr613 likes this.
    10-03-16 09:39 AM
    And who is to say that BlackBerry doesn't have one? JUST because you haven't heard about it!
    if they do have one/have had one for a while, then hats off to them for not publicly advertising it
    10-03-16 09:42 AM
    if they do have one/have had one for a while, then hats off to them for not publicly advertising it
    It's sorta a think tank setup and funded by BlackBerry founder Mike Lazeridis, and their main thing is quantum computing, so I'd say BB certainly has an interest and access.
    10-03-16 12:02 PM
    The main difference between Google and BlackBerry is that Google has enough cash to throw into R&D for technologies that are off the beaten path. There might not even be a BlackBerry by the time quantum cryptography becomes a pressing enough need.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt, cgk and cribble2k like this.
    10-03-16 12:23 PM
    I'm thinking of a hungry caveman of ~100k years ago thinking that he should really just make himself a modern hunting rifle with reliable ammunition and telescopic sites before his next hunt. It would be great to have but he would starve to death before he got to simple agriculture let alone division of labour.
    Troy Tiscareno, JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    10-03-16 01:30 PM
    It's sorta a think tank setup and funded by BlackBerry founder Mike Lazeridis, and their main thing is quantum computing, so I'd say BB certainly has an interest and access.
    When did Mike go back to work for BB?
    Jack Chin likes this.
    10-03-16 01:47 PM
    Does John Chen strike you as a visionary technology CEO? He's a cost cutter. Blackberry is the last company that will be doing anything in quantum computing. Unless, of course, these devices are mobile and require hardware keyboards.
    DrBoomBotz, eldricho, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    10-03-16 02:01 PM
    What would BlackBerry do with a quantum computer...?

But yeah BlackBerry's R&D just doesn't support this kind of project...
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-03-16 02:12 PM

What they need is a time machine.
    Tien-Lin Chang and JeepBB like this.
    10-03-16 02:20 PM
    What they need is a time machine.
    Give Mike L an iPhone and Andy Rubin's phone number in 2005.
    Tien-Lin Chang and eldricho like this.
    10-03-16 02:22 PM
    Give Mike L an iPhone and Andy Rubin's phone number in 2005.
    I'm not sure that anything good would come of that.
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    10-03-16 02:55 PM
    I'm not sure that would anything good would come of that.
    You're right, it'd just add another two years of Mike L walking around bewildered and thinking of which 2G-only PKB phone to combat it with.
    10-03-16 02:58 PM
    You're right, it'd just add another two years of Mike L walking around bewildered and thinking of which 2G-only PKB phone to combat it with.
    If some guy from the ~19th century gave me a tri-corder and a phone number I would be confused to.
    10-03-16 03:01 PM
    When did Mike go back to work for BB?
    My point was that we just don't know what they have, or have access to, AND that there IS some evidence that they invested in this technology, admittedly a few years and CEOs ago.
    10-03-16 03:26 PM
    My point was that we just don't know what they have, or have access to, AND that there IS some evidence that they invested in this technology, admittedly a few years and CEOs ago.
    Quantum Computer - When is it too late?-cjfytvawwae56pn.png
    TGR1, JeepBB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-03-16 03:34 PM
    It wasn't BB that invested in it, it was Mike himself. But Mike is not BB, even if once he was.
    10-03-16 06:54 PM
    I stand by my point we just don't know.
    10-04-16 02:25 PM

Quantum NOCs...

QNOX... ;-D

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    10-08-16 12:55 AM
    Quantum NOCs...

QNOX... ;-D

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    Has it got 10.3.3 yet???

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-10-16 02:02 PM
    Actually China is considered the leader in Quantum computing. They are making massive investments in Quantum computing, they are taking big gambles, but if their gambles pay off, all other countries are going to be way behind the curve. China?s Latest Leap Forward Isn?t Just Great?It?s Quantum - WSJ
    10-12-16 12:07 PM
    Has it got 10.3.3 yet???

Posted via CB10
    You're referring to BB10, not the QN(O)X kernel....? :-)
    Wrong drawer...

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-15-16 03:23 PM