Ok hear me out here first before you jump all over me

Blackberry has lost it's ability to sell the world on thier BB10 OS. Its very sad (to me anyway) that we may not see another BB10 phone. With that said, QNX is the core of BB10 as we all know ... also QNX has been integrating itself in to everything these days and when you look at what they do with the QNX smart cars, it can show the general puplic the cool factor of the OS.

So what do you think if BB took a systematic approach on bringing out a new BB10/QNX hand set. Start by bolstering about QNX, what its in today and where its going as well as pushing the videos of the smart cars they've built and continue to build. Start a buzz about QNX around the sheep market (not a hit on Apple, just a general comment on how I feel people pick their devices). If this population can start to see what QNX can do in non phones, and start to talk about how "cool" thier products are ... then if enough buzz has started, announce that they will launch a phone with BB level security and all the positive features that BB has.

Of course the app gap is always the next subject that gets raised ... but if there is enough buzz around QNX, it might make the push for developers to write for the platform. This is something that BB never did and hoped the developers would come just because of the BB name ... that didn't work since the users didn't come.

In short,
    - show what QNX does and can do outside of the phone market and generate a positive buzz about the OS in the general public
    - Ride this buzz and announce a handset with all the positive features of BB without naming BB by name
    - Invite developers back to the QNX platform using the buzz as well as other incentives
    - Relaunch BB10 under the QNX banner and make us die hard BB users happy again and maybe win back some market share

Ok , feel free to sound off
    02-23-16 08:23 AM
    no chance in hell...still no apps.

people already have a good buzz about QNX imo if they know about it. QNX is still very far from a mobile OS though so its essentially just like bb10 all over even without the BB branding involved
    02-23-16 08:38 AM
    If QNX is reliable enough to run traffic lights then it obviously would make a fine smartphone OS.
    02-23-16 09:01 AM
    Well, I can dream

BlackBerry, creating a bb10 premium device and make it unbeatable. If you can sell an android for $1k in Canada, you should be able to get me a killer bb10 device for that cost.

 Posted using my powerful BlackBerry Z30 
    BallRockReaper and BB_PP like this.
    02-23-16 11:09 AM
    Well, I can dream
    Yes, yes you can.

BlackBerry, creating a bb10 premium device and make it unbeatable. If you can sell an android for $1k in Canada, you should be able to get me a killer bb10 device for that cost.
    I think you might be dreaming already, because this "logic" isn't the result of conscious thought. BB's (ongoing) development costs would be substantial, and the fewer devices they sell, the fewer devices they have to spread that cost across. There is also economies of scale with hardware, but those numbers are easier to achieve as they are lower (batches of 400k or so) - though still out of BB's grasp right now.

The reality is that the "killer" BB10 phone you imagine might have to cost $4000 apiece (US) in order to keep BB in the black - and that number goes up as sales volumes fall. The cost of developing and maintaining a platform is estimated to be over $1B/year, and when you spread that out over only 4M phones, that's a LOT of money!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-23-16 07:24 PM
    Yes, yes you can.

I think you might be dreaming already, because this "logic" isn't the result of conscious thought. BB's (ongoing) development costs would be substantial, and the fewer devices they sell, the fewer devices they have to spread that cost across. There is also economies of scale with hardware, but those numbers are easier to achieve as they are lower (batches of 400k or so) - though still out of BB's grasp right now.

The reality is that the "killer" BB10 phone you imagine might have to cost $4000 apiece (US) in order to keep BB in the black - and that number goes up as sales volumes fall. The cost of developing and maintaining a platform is estimated to be over $1B/year, and when you spread that out over only 4M phones, that's a LOT of money!
    You you're probably right ... so sad, so very sad.
    02-24-16 12:08 PM
    It will be interesting if one day someone writes about the whole development process from QNX to the PlayBook OS to BB10.

What many taught we would get when QNX was bought, and what we ended up with in BB10 are very different.

I wonder how many KB the whole software package for a traffic light is.....
    02-24-16 02:24 PM
    Does not matter what the do QNX or BB10 if they don't get apps they won't sell well.

The only reason apple and android ( or as I like to call the crapple and damdroid) is the millions of apps they sell Blackberry only has a few thousands

Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 09:58 AM
    Too much unnecessarily moves.

1) keep the OS10 alive by supporting it's security and functionality.
    2) sell secure devices to the largest governmental, financial and law corporate.
    3) develop OS infrastructure in to other areas
    4) make a new device a year
    4) wait until other OS f***k ups
    5) profit!

Chen is Chinese. These guys knows all about Dao. They know how to wait and they let the things happened by themselves.

Everything goes the right way with the BlackBerry. None is gonna die.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 10:11 AM
    Yep. The dev's will appear by themselves in a little while. There is a much easier way to workout profit in almost empty BlackBerry World, then in overfilled Google or Apple appStores.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 10:14 AM