Ok most of us have heard about the book series "50 Shades of Gray". Well i've been told a movie is coming out next year and in the book, the main character uses a Blackberry. Well this book series has a enormous following primarily woman. I believe this would be a huge opportunity for BlackBerry to do some product placement marketing. I cant even fathom how large the audience will be with this movie. I ran across this article on Audi and how they are doing this or reaping the benefits. Read this article and then picture BlackBerry getting the same face time in this movie. Thoughts??

How Audi Scored a Starring Role in '50 Shades of Grey' | News - Advertising Age

Posted via CB10
    Jamie Brahm and Jaguarandine like this.
    05-04-14 10:48 PM
    The book was also written on a BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 11:05 PM
    Yea I think someone posted a thread with the thought of the Shades of Grey marketing segment already. Great minds think alike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-05-14 12:13 AM
    Wow. Blackberry should definitely get on this somehow.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    05-05-14 03:01 AM
    On the other hand it is basically soft core torture open from what I've heard... not sure if BlackBerry wants that

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 09:10 AM
    On the other hand it is basically soft core torture open from what I've heard... not sure if BlackBerry wants that

Posted via CB10
    It was hugely popular mature-themed Twilight fanfic that was tweaked and sold through Amazon to an already captive audience. Ugh. Do not want.
    05-05-14 10:41 AM
    I could give a $hit about the story or book. Just think it would be a great marketing opportunity. Regardless of how you feel about the show or story, millions love it and it would provide large exposure to a large market segment.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-14 10:41 PM
    I could give a $hit about the story or book. Just think it would be a great marketing opportunity. Regardless of how you feel about the show or story, millions love it and it would provide large exposure to a large market segment.

Posted via CB10
    Who would be the buyers? Not likely that crowd, unless there was a way to integrate the BB into the storyline in a way that captures the fancy of that audience and starts something viral. I also don't know if it will be as big a market as you believe and already the movie has had difficulties in casting, etc. if I recall. Color me fifty shades of skeptical.
    05-07-14 09:46 AM
    What a huge missed opportunity for BlackBerry! I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this. The OP was absolutely correct; the movie ended up grossing $570 million worldwide and $166 million in the US. This is not including DVD and Blu-Ray sales which so far, have totaled nearly $54 million (source: Fifty Shades of Grey (2013) - Financial Information ). Even if you ignore the US market, the movie was a giant hit with just the international grossing.

Call the movie and book whatever you want, the fact of the matter is, they have entered popular culture and are loved and accepted by millions of people. And BlackBerry is a large part this. After urging from my ex-girlfriend (and other female friends), I read the first book a couple of years ago; the BlackBerry usage is blatant. There are all kinds of scenes to setup some fantastic product placement that looks almost natural.

Fortunately, there were 3 books, so there is still time for BlackBerry to right this wrong. Here's a simple example that I believe could work:

Anastasia opens a package from Christian. "Not another one of his toys", she says. She opens the box. "BlackBerry!? Really?? Who uses these old things anymore?"
    Then she proceeds to be amazed as Christian shows her how to work the phone, in a simple tutorial that takes less than 30 seconds.

BBM, email, texting, screen share, the hub; all of it could be worked into the context of the movie easily. They could even do a promotion or put a coupon in with the DVD!

Why do I feel this will work? I was actually turned onto BlackBerry from TV myself. Back in 2002, I was watching the cheesy show "Fastlane" one night, and both characters were using the RIM 850. It seemed so amazing, I had to have one. So I bought two, with one for my then-girlfriend. I've been hooked ever since (and fortunately work has allowed me to become even more hooked).

To sum up, it doesn't matter "how good" the movie or book is. This is a huge marketing opportunity for BlackBerry. It's a no-brainer, and I will be disappointed in BlackBerry's energy and ambition as a company if I don't see at least one nod to the phones in the next movies.
    09-16-15 01:10 PM
    The only problem with this (aside from the movie being terrible) is that they were using Legacy devices.
    09-20-15 12:06 PM