I really find the argument regarding the consumption of space for the physical keyboard to be ridiculous. Yes, there are times that is true, but during text input, the on screen keyboard takes up just as much room as a physical one. Also, the ability to just press the spacebar to jump a whole page is way better than having less scrolling to do, but having to "slide" to do it.

Posted via CB10
    Ragbert likes this.
    03-25-14 09:58 PM
    Now, granted, I have not used the vaunted BB9900 / 30, so I cannot speak to the qualities of that pkb, but I must say, the Q10 has an amazing keyboard. The second best keyboard I have ever used was my beloved 9810. why not have the screen real estate, with the physical keyboard like that? I know niche market. Something like BB in general?
    03-26-14 03:46 AM
    My vote is that BlackBerry should create a premium portrait slider phone, similar in design to the torch 9810.

It would be some size between the z30 and the z10. It keyboard would not be able to be exactly the same as the q10, but BlackBerry is good at this and can make a slightly thinner one.

Then, they need to use rigid, and ultralight materials to it has both durability and portability. I would suggest titanium for the sliding mechanism.

This would make it expensive, but to those who really want it, it would be completely worth the extra $100 to get that best of both worlds devices.

It would have to only add another 2-3mm to the thickness of a z10 device, bit to those who need it, it will be soooooo worth it.

And yes, kill the 1:1 ratio. That time is over. Make a new titanium torch.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 05:47 AM
    Yes well said.

I would go further. Retire the 1:1 and the keyboard.

replace keyboard with snap/ magnetic/ hardcase/ keyboard add on for BB10.

You want keyboard buy separately. Sorta like typo but engineered to seamlessly integrate with BB10 devices.
    Right, because all of we BlackBerry users want three foot long phones....

I very much prefer the form factor of the Bold 9900 chassis as compared to ANY other mobile device, save the Motorola RAZR flip phone which was the best mobile phone design. The 9900 is over an inch shorter than the Z10, it has nice smooth rounded corners, and a great keyboard. The screen size is perfect... PERFECT for all my BBM, email, sms, calendar, and notation needs. The 9900 fits great in my pocket and is amazing for one handed use, both in comfort and efficiency.

Maybe YOU want a bigger BlackBerry, but don't assume that everyone else feels the same way. I would wager a guess that many BlackBerry users value productivity over entertainment value. When it comes to daily device usage I certainly would rather use a tablet for entertainment and my BlackBerry for what it excels at, communications. That is why I went back to the 9900 and use the Z10 as a mini wifi tablet.
    Ragbert likes this.
    03-26-14 10:03 AM
    +100

Also this might all be moot if Blackberry releases the rumoured new models referenced in Bla1ze's CB post. Looks like there is something there for everyone.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-103...art-blackberry

Maybe YOU want a bigger BlackBerry, but don't assume that everyone else feels the same way. I would wager a guess that many BlackBerry users value productivity over entertainment value. When it comes to daily device usage I certainly would rather use a tablet for entertainment and my BlackBerry for what it excels at, communications. That is why I went back to the 9900 and use the Z10 as a mini wifi tablet.
    Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2228 :-)
    03-26-14 11:19 AM

I very much prefer the form factor of the Bold 9900 chassis as compared to ANY other mobile device, save the Motorola RAZR flip phone which was the best mobile phone design. The 9900 is over an inch shorter than the Z10, it has nice smooth rounded corners, and a great keyboard. The screen size is perfect... PERFECT for all my BBM, email, sms, calendar, and notation needs. The 9900 fits great in my pocket and is amazing for one handed use, both in comfort and efficiency.

The Q10 is basically the same size as a 9900.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 03-26-14 at 11:59 AM.
    03-26-14 11:39 AM
    +100

Also this might all be moot if Blackberry releases the rumoured new models referenced in Bla1ze's CB post. Looks like there is something there for everyone.

BlackBerry 10.3 leak shows handset development still a big part of BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

I am not seeing a QWERTY with anything other than a 1:1 screen - what am I missing?
    03-26-14 11:43 AM
    You'll get a lot of people disagreeing with you. I have a Q10 and a Z10, the Z is painful to try typing on. I can type several times faster on a Q, and I got the device just for the ability to have a mobile device that offers me the ability to send long and very detailed messages. Know your products people: you don't buy a Prius to haul a boat anymore that you buy a QWERTY device for watching movies or playing games.

Different tools for different people isn't always a bad thing.
    They utility of the keys and the utility of the screen are different problems though. I'd love it if BlackBerry could find a way to have that rectangle screen with a hardware keyboard in a way that's ergonomic.

I would type better on a Q also, but I didn't buy one because I had fears about the likelihood of developers adapting their app for that screen size at this point in BlackBerry's market position. I suspected that the Z10 and Z30 would get more apps because the porting was simply going to be a lot easier.

Turns out I was right. My buddy with a Q10 is often complaining that I get apps he doesn't.
    03-26-14 11:47 AM
    They utility of the keys and the utility of the screen are different problems though. I'd love it if BlackBerry could find a way to have that rectangle screen with a hardware keyboard in a way that's ergonomic.

I would type better on a Q also, but I didn't buy one because I had fears about the likelihood of developers adapting their app for that screen size at this point in BlackBerry's market position. I suspected that the Z10 and Z30 would get more apps because the porting was simply going to be a lot easier.

Turns out I was right. My buddy with a Q10 is often complaining that I get apps he doesn't.
    I really think they would not have needed the tool belt had they gone with a 4:3 screen size for the Q with a screen about 3.8 inches.

Speaking of different tools for different uses - my children, all adults, have iphones. They can all type much, much faster than I can on my 9900. The issue of what is best is based on the user's aptitude.
    Funny thing is that I too can type on a iphone better than anytime I have tried a Z in a store - just me.
    03-26-14 01:55 PM
    The as-yet-unsolved problem with a rectangular screen + physical keyboard is how to handle typing in landscape mode. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess those of us who prize the physical keyboard above all are willing to sacrifice the additional screen space of the all-touch models. Would I consider a rectangular screen with the Q10's identical keyboard? I don't know, maybe. So far there aren't any functions that make me wish I had a bigger phone for them.

I am not seeing a QWERTY with anything other than a 1:1 screen - what am I missing?
    03-26-14 03:01 PM
    The as-yet-unsolved problem with a rectangular screen + physical keyboard is how to handle typing in landscape mode. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess those of us who prize the physical keyboard above all are willing to sacrifice the additional screen space of the all-touch models. Would I consider a rectangular screen with the Q10's identical keyboard? I don't know, maybe. So far there aren't any functions that make me wish I had a bigger phone for them.

Fair point. Maybe better browsing and app experience . Water under the bridge. Looking fwd to the Q20.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-26-14 04:10 PM
    Same here - the (hopefully) improved text navigation afforded by a trackpad is what interests me most.

Fair point. Maybe better browsing and app experience . Water under the bridge. Looking fwd to the Q20.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app

03-26-14 05:36 PM
    I think the 1:1 ratio screen comes as an evidence for a physical keyboard because panorama mode is awkward with that useless keyboard side way.
    I'd like to try a 4.5" screen with 1:1 ratio before ditching it definitely...
    (a phone slightly larger than a z30 with subsequently larger keyboard wouldn't bother me as I think the wider it comes the handier it is for reading forums and articles)

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 09:32 PM
    I think that sticking to a 1:1 format makes it better to conserve the "Q-format", i.e. Apps, interface, so that the "new phone" keeps the "older display", magnified by say 1.2 or 1.5

The same has been made by introducing Z30... the phone is simply "bigger" but you have the same interface.

Easier to apply, just new hardware.

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    03-27-14 06:59 AM
    I really find the argument regarding the consumption of space for the physical keyboard to be ridiculous. Yes, there are times that is true, but during text input, the on screen keyboard takes up just as much room as a physical one. Also, the ability to just press the spacebar to jump a whole page is way better than having less scrolling to do, but having to "slide" to do it.

Posted via CB10
    On screen keyboards disappear after use. I'm not sure how that's ridiculous.
    03-27-14 09:06 AM

3 foot long phone. Be serious.

This whole argument that people who value screen size are somehow only interested in entertainment is the main reason BlackBerry is dying. If one lacks imagination or experience in using other OS's maybe it would be a fair assumption. I use multiwindow alot. I need to reference other emails/ texts/ web pages while typing. That just doesn't work as well going back and forth.

I offered a suggestion as to how blackberry could become current while appeasing diehards. Just a suggestion. Consumers chose to pass on hardware keys a few years back. Most who moved on to other OS's have adapted.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    03-27-14 09:23 AM
    "More current"

They already have all touch devices with a state of the art OS.

All you suggested is that BlackBerry throw away some of their customers. Given that BBOS7 devices are still out selling the Z10, Z30, Q5, and Q10, your suggestions are utterly stupid.

BlackBerry's market is BlackBerry users.

Ps. I wrote this on the Z10 I have owned for 4 months. After three months of use, I decided it was better for entertainment than productivity, so I went back to the Bold. Still very happy with the Bold!
    04-03-14 09:06 AM
    "More current"

They already have all touch devices with a state of the art OS.

All you suggested is that BlackBerry throw away some of their customers. Given that BBOS7 devices are still out selling the Z10, Z30, Q5, and Q10, your suggestions are utterly stupid.

BlackBerry's market is BlackBerry users.

Ps. I wrote this on the Z10 I have owned for 4 months. After three months of use, I decided it was better for entertainment than productivity, so I went back to the Bold. Still very happy with the Bold!
    The only thing I would consider stupid is the idea that selling 1:1, keyboard devices will prevent BlackBerry's demise. Bolds and the like are obsolete.
    04-03-14 09:26 AM
    The only thing I would consider stupid is the idea that selling 1:1, keyboard devices will prevent BlackBerry's demise. Bolds and the like are obsolete.
    You don't even read the news or watch the podcasts, do you? Lol... hopeless.
    04-04-14 10:48 AM
    Fail to see your point.

Yes, Hopeless indeed.
    04-04-14 10:56 AM
    I prefer the Q10's screen to the Z30's. I have both phones, and I am far more productive with the Q.
    k3cub likes this.
    04-05-14 10:39 PM
    Turnaround CEO Decision: Whatever Screen Ratio You Want.
    We are listening to our customers and will sell then whatever smartphone they want for the next couple of years - even the old ones we don't make anymore.
    04-05-14 11:34 PM
    Yea this 1:1 ratio is so crappy. 4:3 is the perfect ratio, especially with the toolbelt. Anything larger would make the phone too tall. I'm really happy that all of the Q20 press releases have kept quiet on the aspect ratio. I think they're scrapping 1:1

The physical keyboard should obviously stay, but the slide on idea isnt a bad idea. That would be for the Z devices tho. It would be an option in addition to the permanent kb Q20 form factor. For some reason there are people that just can't comprehend that there are users that value a keyboard over screen size.

I have a very strong feeling that BlackBerry is working on a slider, they just havent got the right industrial design yet.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 12:46 AM
    There is a difference between reading the news and thinking logically about what is going on. Yes people want the old phones, but those are the very small minority of people that want a blackberry at all. By most people's standards the phones are obsolete.

If BlackBerry can make some 1:1 phones for the faithful and make money on them, then go for it. For everyone else they need to move on and go with a 16:9 phone with a keyboard. The 1:1 phones are outdated and most people do not want them. That I'd the entire reason BlackBerry is not doing so hot.
    04-07-14 10:47 AM
49 12