The Priv is a nice phone, but for the price is too immature yet. The Passport is for a market that does not compete with many phones. The screen is perfect for reading and the specs on the phone put it in the upper class of phones. Most phone manufactures support two OS systems, one for the public and one for industry and Government clients. Looks no further than Apple, they now have a separate OS for consumers and one for industry. Both are OS 9 but different. Microsoft has done it for years, with different OS systems. Even now with Windows 10 the OS has a separate corporate version.

If BlackBerry was smart and I have to tell you that is in question. They would come out and either state one or the other or both, but this yes and no approach only pushes people to other devices. Chen needs to man up, we are either 100% Android or 100% OS 10, or we will support both. That means full support. Many corporate users are looking to other companies, that are making the statement while Chen hints around; and that does not bod well.

Corporate users tend to be very conservative on purchase and complete OS changes, just ask Microsoft on that one. They had to support Windows XP years after they wanted drop it.

One last thought, I speak to many Corprate users all the time, why go with a new and unproven OS/phone when the older version works just fine? That's the real question is it not?

One further point, I love my BlackBerry. I would own no other phone. As a Corporate user and a casual user, I have two hats. So I can speak to both concerns. I would like to see BlackBerry take the same stand, Microsoft clearly states on its web site Operating Life Cycles and the how and why, I think BlackBerry owes us that much.
    Last edited by thatguyusa; 01-03-16 at 11:55 AM.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    01-03-16 11:25 AM
    Your thread title needs the [Opinion] label for starts, and it should be moved to the Armchair CEO section.

Say what you want, but you obviously don't run BlackBerry, and really can't tell Chen what he should do.
    luc4625 likes this.
    01-03-16 11:35 AM
    thank you for your response, I have had a BlackBerry for years. My company has also, as for telling Chen what to do, he can do what ever he likes, but in the real world it no longer plays. I also had a Priv, after a few fixes, I went back to my Passport. At 700 bucks the phone is not ready for prime time as of yet. In my other posts I have said time and time again, it might be a good phone, but its not quite there yet.
    01-03-16 11:38 AM
    Your thread title needs the [Opinion] label for starts, and it should be moved to the Armchair CEO section.
    Agreed and done...
    01-03-16 12:00 PM
    To move it yes, but as for the opinion tag....wow I guess people no longer can figure it out for themselves, what a sad commentary. Maybe next time we might need a "safe space for those who can't !"

WOOF!
    01-03-16 12:43 PM
    I would like to see some links and info about those other 'business's versions of OSes you mention. As far as apple informs , there are only 1 iOs9, and there are no special Android for business,.. And No special Windows mobile for business..

The different windows versions are also not different versions, just different options opened up.. Same os
    01-03-16 02:12 PM
    Well I guess so, we have been testing a secure version of IOS 9.1. As for Android, they have a version for Industry. Have had it for about one year. Windows OS 10 is not on a phone so your last comment makes no sense at all.
    01-03-16 04:16 PM
    Well I guess so, we have been testing a secure version of IOS 9.1. As for Android, they have a version for Industry. Have had it for about one year. Windows OS 10 is not on a phone so your last comment makes no sense at all.

Windows 10 is on the Lumia 550, 950 and 950XL (I have the 950XL that has that has Windows 10 pre installed and I'm using it to types this on). I fully agree that the support life cycle should be freely available like it is on Microsoft's site. Not having clear cut support timelines won't give businesses much faith in BlackBerry.
    01-04-16 07:30 PM
    I can't stand Android and iOS. Choice is king in this industry and it's very important for BlackBerry to continue BB10 Development and to attract decks to the platform.

All JC has done is try and cripple BB10, it's Dev's, and ignore consumers.
    The OS has a good point. They want to daddle into Android, a age old tired OS, by all means, but keep the heart and soul (BB10) of BlackBerry alive and kicking.
    By the way, the Priv is one ugly looking device. I've used one at a Beat Buy. Hands on, and not at all a fan of the Interface. Some may like it though.

Rocking a Z30
    anon(9742832) and acovey like this.
    01-04-16 10:57 PM
    I can't stand Android and iOS. Choice is king in this industry and it's very important for BlackBerry to continue BB10 Development and to attract decks to the platform.

The OS has a good point. They want to daddle into Android, a age old tired OS, by all means, but keep the heart and soul (BB10) of BlackBerry alive and kicking.
    By the way, the Priv is one ugly looking device. I've used one at a Beat Buy. Hands on, and not at all a fan of the Interface. Some may like it though.

Rocking a Z30
    The market has chosen. BB10 was too late to market.
    01-04-16 11:43 PM
    The market was never even made aware of BB10.
    ZayDub, crucial bbq and acovey like this.
    01-05-16 12:24 AM
    I Agree. My rant is basically stating it's never too late. If you look in the past, despite the lesser competition landscape, Apple struggled really bad 4 a footing. Had it not been for Microsoft, they probably would have died a horrible death OR remain a tight niche.

My point, it's never too late for BB10 and even WP10. Etc., Though Windows has a competitive advantage due to the PC, in mobile, they are struggling.

BB10 can remain a right niche, because there is a strong tight fan base. There's still approx: 25M to 50M current die hard fans that refuse to replace there old BB7 BOLD devices. And few more that have Porsche BB7 models.

JC went wrong when he ignored the majority (Full Touch Lovers) and went to try and rectify the iconic keyboard lovers. What he should have done is cater to both.
    Z50, Classic and Passport. Problem Solved. He gives the majority of BB10 owners a upgrade path along with attracting new customers.

Anyhow, I've pounded my point till Kingdom Come, I know I am right I speak Facts.

Rocking a Z30
    01-05-16 07:00 AM
    The problem is, that's the market are 98% made of people who have an low IQ. They can't resist the marketing strategies of Google an Apple.

"Apps are all you need to be the greatest, biggest and best fish in the ocean."

I give a **** of what other people thinking of me, I am an independent individuum. I don't need Instagram, Facebook or all the other stupid apps to know who I am.
    I only use whatsapp for staying in contact with my friends and family.

The vast majority of apple and Android users are kids and young people who defined their lives over the meaning from other people.
    Who has the newest phone, who have the most fb likes and friends.
    You haven't the newest clothes, then you are not accepted.

That's the market for smart phones. You have to buy every 6 months a new phone to be the hippest.

This stupidness is the reason for the fail of BB10 and the success of Android and Apple. They know how to manipulate the masses with their marketing.

Posted from my Z30 (10.3.2.2876)
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    01-05-16 07:16 AM
    Yes and no, windows 10 on the phone systems is not the same version as on a desk top, that was my point. But you are spot on about it.
    01-05-16 08:03 AM
    Yes they do, and the fools follow.
    01-05-16 08:03 AM
    The problem is, that's the market are 98% made of people who have an low IQ. They can't resist the marketing strategies of Google an Apple.

The vast majority of apple and Android users are kids and young people who defined their lives over the meaning from other people.

Wow. This is not offensive at all.

The fact that I prefer my Priv over my Passport (and every single other BB10 device that I've owned - and I've owned and still use every one of them), is only because I'm too stupid to know any better?
    01-05-16 08:09 AM

I give a **** of what other people thinking of me, I am an independent individuum. I don't need Instagram, Facebook or all the other stupid apps to know who I am.
    I only use whatsapp for staying in contact with my friends and family.

Who has the newest phone, who have the most fb likes and friends.
    You haven't the newest clothes, then you are not accepted.

That's the market for smart phones. You have to buy every 6 months a new phone to be the hippest.

This stupidness is the reason for the fail of BB10 and the success of Android and Apple. They know how to manipulate the masses with their marketing.

You do know that IQ is measured on a curve?
    01-05-16 08:19 AM
    Shocking ! !

Woof!
    01-05-16 08:28 AM
    convex or concave !!!

LOL

WOOF!
    01-05-16 08:28 AM
    Windows 10 is on the Lumia 550, 950 and 950XL (I have the 950XL that has that has Windows 10 pre installed and I'm using it to types this on). I fully agree that the support life cycle should be freely available like it is on Microsoft's site. Not having clear cut support timelines won't give businesses much faith in BlackBerry.
    Who says that it isn't? Perhaps BlackBerry feels that support cycles are not something that should be published for public viewing? MS has very little competition in desktop/laptop computing, but they do need people to migrate through the upgrade path. There are still people out there who feel that XP is a fine OS, no need to change.

Rocking a Z30
    They are but in the direction of enterprise, not consumer. There are currently no signs of BB10 leaving the enterprise market anytime soon, there is still a push (and community) of devs writing mostly enterprise apps for BB10 in native Cascades and still a push for Android devs to convert to bar files if applicable. BlackBerry also officially killed their Android Developer Toolkit at the end of Dec. 2015 and will be replacing it with Google's own Android Studio. Not sure what that means about ART but it is keeping in line with their promise of not removing ART from BB10.

And of course there are still a few new non-enterprise apps built with Cascades appearing in both Beta Zone and BBW. Changing landscape for BB10, yes. Maybe EOLd in 2016 or 2017, possibly. Dead today, no.

BB10 is only dead to consumers however I will argue that BlackBerry handsets were never meant to be consumer devices anyways. If BlackBerry held control over that space they would be nowhere near the position they are in now. Granted, they would still be at the bottom in terms of marketshare, likely, but at the bottom with a larger user base.

I am not sure about Louks, but Chen strikes me as a guy who would feel nice and smug on BB10. Back in 2015 he is on record saying that he personally would not wear a smartwatch as he does not want "them" tracking his every move so I would not be surprised if Chen reluctantly went with Android and the the decision to do so was 80% financial and 20% to prove BBs ingenuity.

JC went wrong when he ignored the majority (Full Touch Lovers) and went to try and rectify the iconic keyboard lovers. What he should have done is cater to both.
    Z50, Classic and Passport. Problem Solved. He gives the majority of BB10 owners a upgrade path along with attracting new customers.
    Agreed, but nothing we can do about it.

For what it is worth without apps a smartphone would be nearly useless. Even the dialer is an app.

As for Android/iOS users being kids, well, I would argue that iPhone users are largely Gen Xers with those on Android being Millennials or Boomers. It has little to do with age or IQ, however, just that those in their 40s/50s likely have the expendable income to drop on an iPhone is all.
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    01-05-16 11:17 AM
    agreed, as my dad would say "follow the money"

WOOF!
    01-05-16 03:27 PM
    The market was never even made aware of BB10.
    Whose fault is that?
    01-05-16 05:55 PM
    Whose fault is that?
    Clearly it was Blacberry's fault for willfully choosing not to tell them. And more than most it falls on Chairman Chen... Who had probably the best chance since about 2008 and arrogantly chose to take Blackberry in the only direction he cared about (read sofrware).
    01-06-16 12:44 AM
    Who says that it isn't? Perhaps BlackBerry feels that support cycles are not something that should be published for public viewing? MS has very little competition in desktop/laptop computing, but they do need people to migrate through the upgrade path. There are still people out there who feel that XP is a fine OS, no need to change.
    True but Microsoft does that for their desktop and mobile OS so when I bought my old WP8 handsets they were promised with a minimum of two years of software updates and support. That freely available public knowledge was a reason I went with my first Lumia because I wanted to know how long it would get updates for. Not making support lifecycles known publicly only helps BlackBerry but when the future looks shaky, is that the best approach?
    01-06-16 01:15 AM
    While BlackBerry may have never been intended for consumers, many professionals want a device that can satisfy professional and personal needs. So why wouldn't someone carry an iPhone or Android when they have access to all the professional and personal apps they need?

Posted via CB10
    MikeX74 and GadgetTravel like this.
    01-06-16 06:30 AM
32 12