In my opinion, if Apple were truly innovative and dedicated to delivering "insanely cool" devices, their latest smartphone would have been the BlackBerry Passport. It looks just like the first Macintosh... It even somewhat resembles the new trashcan MacPros... If the BlackBerry Passport had been introduced as the Apple Passport, with an Apple logo, even running the truly innovative BB10 OS by an iOS divergent name, it would have sold millions and millions instantly. I believe based on Everett Rogers' Diffusion of Innovation Theory, *https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff...of_innovations
    just by having an Apple logo attached probably would have provided the sufficient market exposure for an Apple Passport to reach the threshold necessary to move popularity beyond early adopters into early majority proportion of users. Even BlackBerry faithful would have embraced it with open arms and eager thumbs because it was insanely cool, innovative, and the most powerful handheld communications device on the planet.
    So considering Diffusion of Innovation Theory, Apple's success is what begets its success not its innovation. Its success begat its huge app library as well. Which an Apple Passport would have had an emulator to run.
    But of course this is fantasy and the reality is...what it is.
    At this point, I urge John Chen to pull out all the stops and stop funding Android hybridization in favor of nuclear option marketing of a worthy flagship product, the Passport, whose innovative first adopters love, that epitomizes the security and innovative OS functions that make it stunningly quick to use, and makes no apologies for the perfectly pragmatic physical keyboard that sets it apart from all other smartphones.
    BlackBerry users set themselves apart based on devices that are clearly superior technology. We use our devices versus having our devices use us to make more money and influence for a juggernaut company that seemingly can do no wrong.*
    BlackBerry must use marketing to survive. Drive market adoption past just early adoption into early majority. The current strategy can only go so far since Android is not known for security and being Android based is just being an also ran, not distinctive, and nothing to fall in love with.

People love their Apple devices because first, their parents taught them that Apple was cool, revolutionary and now, very safely in the inertia of popularity. People love their Android devices because they are less expensive and ubiquitous. People love their BlackBerry devices because of security, their insanely cool OS, and pragmatic, physical keyboard.
    I say BlackBerry: Grow Your Own Lovers! Instead of trying to get somebody else's.

BlackBerry's current predicament reminds me of when Apple was failing before the return of Steve Jobs. He returned to Apple and inspired an insanely cool and different personal computer called the iMac and Marketed it and people loved it...and Apple Computer didn't die...

Posted via CB10
    togarika and PALoeza like this.
    02-06-16 12:37 PM
    There's nothing to market on the Passport though. It's a phone that came out in 2014 with an esoteric form factor (great for typing, not so great for a 16:9 world) and an anemic library of apps (professional or otherwise) running a moribund OS.

If you ask me, they should go with nuclear option marketing of a worthy flagship product, the Priv, whose innovative first adopters love, that epitomizes the security and innovative OS functions that make it stunningly quick to use, and makes no apologies for the perfectly pragmatic physical and virtual keyboard that sets it apart from all other smartphones while having the capacity to provide what people use their smartphones for.
    02-06-16 01:06 PM
    Unfortunately Apple does the complete opposite. By releasing Outdated Software, OS and Hardware. And charges ppl an arm and a leg.

But I agree with the topic creator. If Apple was to buy out BB10 for there use, that would bring Apple's OS platform from 2007 right to 2018+.

Rocking a Z30
    02-09-16 05:51 AM
    Unfortunately Apple does the complete opposite. By releasing Outdated Software, OS and Hardware. And charges ppl an arm and a leg.

But I agree with the topic creator. If Apple was to buy out BB10 for there use, that would bring Apple's OS platform from 2007 right to 2018+.

Rocking a Z30
    Are you kidding? Look at phones before the iphone then look at them now. Also that isn't even considering things like 64 bit s inside and cloud computing.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-16 11:17 AM
    Are you kidding? Look at phones before the iphone then look at them now. Also that isn't even considering things like 64 bit s inside and cloud computing.

Posted via CB10
    Are you the ones who is kidding? The first iPhone couldn't send MMS; something that even feature phones were doing well before the iPhone was even an idea. Let's not mention being only 2G and then releasing the 3G version just a year after; keep in mind that 3G was available in the US starting 2002 and by 2007 was the standard nationwide.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-16 09:02 PM
    Are you the ones who is kidding? The first iPhone couldn't send MMS; something that even feature phones were doing well before the iPhone was even an idea. Let's not mention being only 2G and then releasing the 3G version just a year after; keep in mind that 3G was available in the US starting 2002 and by 2007 was the standard nationwide.

Posted via CB10
    I take it you have nothing relevant to say regarding my post? Which of the things did I say aren't accurate. The iPhone 3G was pretty early and it had 3G. It was a initial sacrifice for battery life as I recall since they wanted an internal battery. I'm sure there were others too. When did BB start 4g? How are the two doing from 2007 till now. Apple and Android reinvented mobile computing and BB never caught up.
    02-11-16 09:30 PM
    OP I just don't see it happening, the Passport is just way too big for the average Selfie Stick.
    02-11-16 10:04 PM
    OP I just don't see it happening, the Passport is just way too big for the average Selfie Stick.
    "Tools not toys!"
    02-12-16 04:52 AM
    This made my day...!

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 04:58 AM
    "Tools not toys!"
    Exactly, that is why Apple would never offer it.
    02-12-16 09:24 AM
    Exactly, that is why Apple would never offer it.
    Zoooom!

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 02:42 PM
    Zoooom!
    Or, more accurately, "Whoosh!"
    GadgetTravel and JeepBB like this.
    02-22-16 04:25 PM
    This thread is insane. The Passport is the wrong size for a smartphone for most people. It's wider than what fits comfortably in the hand. It's unnecessarily short. It's thicker than what fits comfortably in a shirt pocket. It has 75% of a standard keyboard. Finally, it's running an OS that has been in maintenance mode since John Chen showed up and has no new hardware coming.
    02-22-16 06:18 PM
    Or, more accurately, "Whoosh!"
    Einstein taught us the importance of frames of reference.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-23-16 08:57 AM
    I have been using my BlackBerry Passport for over a year now. I'm never going back to a narrow form factor that doesn't have a physical keyboard. If that means an android Passport, I'm cool with that only if there is no BBOS choice.
    It fits in my hand. It fits in my pocket. Videos look great. Documents are EASILY readable and editable - no compromises. Blend makes the Passport an excellent PC interface. I'm running all the android apps I need. Think "Different" more importantly just "Think" outside the Apple reality distortion field.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 03:06 AM
    I have been using my BlackBerry Passport for over a year now. I'm never going back to a narrow form factor that doesn't have a physical keyboard. If that means an android Passport, I'm cool with that only if there is no BBOS choice.
    Never?

Better stock up. The form factor will die when the Passport is discontinued. Over the next five years they will become increasingly hard to find.

Also, in 10 or 15 years when all the networks shut down LTE, you'll definitely have to find something else. Better hope someone is making new devices with physical keyboards at that point, let alone so-called "wide" form factors.
    02-26-16 07:35 AM
    Never. I'd rather use a flip phone and a small tablet. I just don't see why BlackBerry keeps the Passport a...secret. Shhhh...Don't tell anybody! If you try it you're going to love it. But you'll have to look like an individual who thinks for him or herself. No timid ones should dare to use a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-26-16 at 11:49 PM.
    02-26-16 08:37 PM
    Well...still love my Passport...and I should never say never as I type this on my new Priv keyboard. LOL although it won't pair with my 2010 Prius. (Got it done. PowerAmp EQ sounds good) And the sound (speaker on the device that is) is not as good as on the Passport. Just couldn't pass up vertical video apps like periscope and snapchat...and all my other Android apps. At least it's still a BlackBerry. John Chen, please let the market know loud and clear that the Priv exists.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by hbvideo; 05-14-16 at 09:41 PM.
    05-14-16 10:28 AM
    I take it you have nothing relevant to say regarding my post? Which of the things did I say aren't accurate. The iPhone 3G was pretty early and it had 3G. It was a initial sacrifice for battery life as I recall since they wanted an internal battery. I'm sure there were others too. When did BB start 4g? How are the two doing from 2007 till now. Apple and Android reinvented mobile computing and BB never caught up.
    BlackBerry caught up and surpassed with BB10. Apple reinvented the smartphone that's true, Android brought in a new dimension but BlackBerry through the Passport rethought the whole idea of a smartphone. It's only that people were not yet ready for it. BlackBerry needs to release a follow up to the Passport

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-14-16 03:14 PM
    There's nothing to market on the Passport though. It's a phone that came out in 2014 with an esoteric form factor (great for typing, not so great for a 16:9 world) and an anemic library of apps (professional or otherwise) running a moribund OS.

If you ask me, they should go with nuclear option marketing of a worthy flagship product, the Priv, whose innovative first adopters love, that epitomizes the security and innovative OS functions that make it stunningly quick to use, and makes no apologies for the perfectly pragmatic physical and virtual keyboard that sets it apart from all other smartphones while having the capacity to provide what people use their smartphones for.
    There is nothing innovative about the Priv. It's just rehashing of old technology in a different package. The Passport on the other hand was in a class of its own. It has new technology on it that is not on any other smartphone. That's innovation.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-14-16 03:17 PM
    This thread is insane. The Passport is the wrong size for a smartphone for most people. It's wider than what fits comfortably in the hand. It's unnecessarily short. It's thicker than what fits comfortably in a shirt pocket. It has 75% of a standard keyboard. Finally, it's running an OS that has been in maintenance mode since John Chen showed up and has no new hardware coming.
    All this because we are used to the current frame of smartphones as defined by Apple and Google. What you said sounds just the same as what Basile and Lazaridis said about the IPhone when it came out. BlackBerry need to produce a follow up to the Passport with improvements on every offering.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-14-16 03:23 PM
    All this because we are used to the current frame of smartphones as defined by Apple and Google. What you said sounds just the same as what Basile and Lazaridis said about the IPhone when it came out. BlackBerry need to produce a follow up to the Passport with improvements on every offering.

BlackBerry BB10 forever

But a product must wow consumers and be fit for their purposes otherwise what is the point? If it can't do what they want it to do then it is worthless to them like many here find the email solutions on other platforms unfit for their purposes so they are worthless. Personally the Passport is too wide and I find the PKB redundant as I am a web developer and need to test for standard 16:9 aspect ratios.
    05-14-16 04:46 PM
    But a product must wow consumers and be fit for their purposes otherwise what is the point? If it can't do what they want it to do then it is worthless to them like many here find the email solutions on other platforms unfit for their purposes so they are worthless. Personally the Passport is too wide and I find the PKB redundant as I am a web developer and need to test for standard 16:9 aspect ratios.
    My point exactly. Our perspective on mobile phone changes with time and expected use. There was a time when the race was who could make the smallest mobile phone before smartphones came. Now its who can make a phone with the largest screen real estate and still can be easily handled. The Passport is definitely ahead of its time.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-14-16 05:22 PM
    My point exactly. Our perspective on mobile phone changes with time and expected use. There was a time when the race was who could make the smallest mobile phone before smartphones came. Now its who can make a phone with the largest screen real estate and still can be easily handled. The Passport is definitely ahead of its time.

BlackBerry BB10 forever

But for me its non standard size and lack of the common productivity tools made it worthless to me. My point is just because it's a unique form factor it needs to have a solid target audience that can be profitable. The Passport design was divisive here on Crackberry, imagine the larger consumer market? It would of made it a non starter for some. My main point is being different for the sake of being different isn't a good thing. You can't dictate to users what they need it is the other way round.
    05-14-16 05:29 PM