What we need is more Native BB10 Development and enough of the Amazon App Store that doesn't allow you do download and install the apps most people want anyway. They seem to be all blocked when you connect with a BB10 phone. Absolute Nonsense actually.
    If people want Android, go buy one. BBRY thinking of going Android will only kill the company further. Chen trashed the BB10 App development, the BB10 marketing and to date has not released a (Z30 upgrade) BB10 full touch device, as people have been asking for for months upon months now.
    Blaming BB10 for poor sales is dishonest at best. Blame the CEO's complete lack in releasing a high end BB10 full touch and complete lack in proper marketing. When people in the Enterprise are given a choice between BlackBerry, Android and iOS, the majority tell there IT they want nothing to do with BB7 BOLDS. What they don't know is they were offering Classic's, Passports and Z30's. Garbage Marketing Killed BB10's true potential. And even when its not too late, this CEO continues with this Incompetent approach of once again Garbage BB10 Marketing.

My work they got a few of us Androids without asking for our preference. Only because they thought we didn't want to go back to using a old BOLD BB7 phone. When I myself seen the list of device options, they were Samsung Galaxy S4, Note 2, iPhone 5 and Passport, Classic, Q10 and Z30's. Go Figure. Ridiculous.
    They haven't had a competitive product since about 2010 or 2011. Chen isn't responsible for that.
    08-08-15 09:19 PM
    My open suggestion would be to hire someone who knows the smartphone business, because he clearly knows d1ck about it and BlackBerry doesn't have time for on the job learning!

Posted via Z30
    GeekOnTheHill and docfreed like this.
    08-09-15 06:52 AM
    Must add more input language. Now support half of the EU languages.
    Balckberry shop deliver only for few EU countries.
    Must make very cheap phone like some Windows phones.
    Now in Bulgaria Windows phones sells like popcorn. For two year contract you take smartphone with your native language for 20 euro or like a gift. This is the way to take market share. Not all customers are ready to spent 500 or 700 USD for phones. Support for the 10 of the most important social apps - Facebook, Instagrem, Skype, Viber, Twiter, Linkedin and etc. The others will come after them.
    08-25-15 04:09 PM
    The best way for this to get anywhere is to request membership to the BlackBerry beta Zone OS testing, once accepted you can give feedback on this and many other issues you may have as well as make suggestions

Check Out TechCraze
    08-27-15 05:05 AM
    Personally, Google/Android lost me as a potential customer (I've never owned an Android device) when they started storing people's saved WiFi passwords in their DB. Sure is nice though to have a backdoor into everyone's home or business network. It only takes one Android device on that network to compromise it for all.

In a similar vein, although I largely agree with the OP's sentiments, you can choose to protect your privacy by choosing a particular device, but you can't make that choice for others. If other people are using Android to, let's say, view your medical records or process your online purchases, then your privacy had been compromised anyway.
    Yes, Google stores a lot of info on their servers. But so far, there have been no leaks or hacks on their servers. And lets be honest, that's where the goldmine of internet information lies and it is a very juicy target for any hacker.

Also, there is this misconception that once you use a BB device your activities are private and secure. But now everything is server-side:
    - you purchase something with a credit card: your bank (and possibly retailer) knows that
    - your emails (doesn't matter which email provider you use) are stored on a server
    - you use music app X. That app knows shich music you listen to and gives suggestions about other music you might like.

There is a lot of information about you out there, it's just scattered through many servers from many companies. your privacy is as safe as the least secure online service you use.
    08-27-15 07:12 AM
    Yes, Google stores a lot of info on their servers. But so far, there have been no leaks or hacks on their servers. And lets be honest, that's where the goldmine of internet information lies and it is a very juicy target for any hacker.

Also, there is this misconception that once you use a BB device your activities are private and secure. But now everything is server-side:
    - you purchase something with a credit card: your bank (and possibly retailer) knows that
    - your emails (doesn't matter which email provider you use) are stored on a server
    - you use music app X. That app knows shich music you listen to and gives suggestions about other music you might like.

There is a lot of information about you out there, it's just scattered through many servers from many companies. your privacy is as safe as the least secure online service you use.
    The difference is that Android devices are designed to spy on you. That is their design purpose and reason for being. All of their other functionality is just to get people to use them. Their real purpose is to gather data for Google to use for their own commercial purposes.

Other systems and servers get hacked. I know that. I've spent the better part of my adult life trying to prevent, understand, and respond to data breaches. My own PII has also been compromised or potentially compromised many times. The first time was the VA laptop theft, the most recent the OPM breach, sandwiched around multiple retail breaches and the Anthem insurance breach. But all those incidents were unintentional and accidental, caused by attacks against entities who at least tried, albeit imperfectly, to prevent them. With Google, it's intentional. They gather, store, analyze, and use private data for commercial purposes by design. It's not an accident for them. It's their business model.

Which brings me back to my original suggestion for John Chen. It really comes down to two things: Firstly, be different from Google (and MS, by the way, because their privacy policy is almost as bad as Google's these days) by respective user privacy; and secondly, capitalize on that difference by emphasizing that BlackBerry is a phone that doesn't spy on you.

Even the Blackphone is not really "private," nor will any BlackBerry Android be as long as Google's Android is running on it. They may be more secure in terms of data encryption and firewalling, but not in terms of privacy vis-a-vis Google snooping. Privacy is related to security, but they are not the same thing.

I personally think John underestimates the number of BB users who stick with the platform precisely because it's not Google, as well as the number of potential new or returning users who could be attracted by proper marketing of BB's superior privacy. Unfortunately, since he apparently has decided instead to get in bed with Google, the chances of any such marketing are about nil at this point. He's apparently chosen to become just another ***** making mobile data-gathering beacons for Google.
    muellerto likes this.
    08-27-15 07:48 AM
    In the past two years, a tiny search engine named DuckDuckGo has increased its search volume by more than 600 percent based on consumers' growing dislike for being tracked, use as fodder for dossiers, and sold to the highest bidder. The company's slogan is, "The Search Engine that Doesn't Track You," but it might as well be, "We Ain't Google."

I read posts from users here about how they lust for full Android and Google Play compatibility. The long-time IT security guy in me is tempted to think that they're crazy. But I also know that they don't have the advantages I have in having literally taken Android apart and analyzed the packet traffic from Android devices, so they don't know the extent of Google's disdain for user privacy.

Or maybe they just don't care, in which case I fall back to the other assumption.

Whatever the case, it seems to me that BBRY has a gold mine that they refuse to work. Moreover, it's one that could be exploited pretty easily if they had the will. Rather than whoring after Google and Amazon, how 'bout creating an optional, alternate BB10 track for users like myself who are primarily concerned with privacy and who don't give a **** about Android apps?

This could be done pretty easily by making a forked version of BB10 available for existing and future phones that doesn't offer the Android runtime at all. Yes, that would mean abandoning any hope of OHA compliance; but seriously, does anyone think that would have a prayer's chance in hell of being commercially successful, anyway? I mean, truly, does the world need yet another Android manufacturer?

So I suggest offering the opposite track: Create a version of BB10 that does not include the Android runtime at all, has a reasonable support lifetime commitment, and eschews any tracking by BBRY itself (such as targeted ads on BBM); and then offer it as a separate BB10 fork that can be loaded on to existing or new devices for people like myself who don't need Android and don't want Google, Amazon, or anyone else tracking them.

I'm not talking about something with DOD encryption, nor something like Silent Circle's BlackPhone. I don't need that level of security any more; and if I ever do need it again, Uncle will provide me with a suitable device. I'm just tired of being surveilled and my life being archived by Google (and others) so I can be sold like a meth ***** to the highest bidder. I'm looking for simple privacy, not MIL-SPEC encryption; but simple privacy has become something that's hard to find in a phone now that data-mining has become all the rage.

BlackBerry is in a unique position to provide that the privacy. Moreover, the beauty of their position is that it wouldn't require very much investment. It's all software work and it consists mainly of removing code, not adding it. It could also be reversible if the user later decides that they do want Android after all. They'd just have to switch back to that fork and re-load the current spyware-laded version of BB10.

I'd even pay a reasonable amount of money for an Android-free BB10. How much would depend on exactly how it's implemented and how long they guaranteed that they'd support it; but I would easily fork over $25.00 or $50.00 if they did nothing other than get rid of the runtime, Amazon, and anything else that tracks me; and promise to support it for at least five years. Or they could do it as a $1.00 or $2.00 a month subscription via BB World.

No, that's not a lot of money. But let's be real: There's a limit to how much you can charge people to remove features.

I even have a slogan for the alternate fork: "The Phone that Doesn't Track You." DuckDuckGo probably would be okay with that if BBRY made DDG the default search provider. Otherwise, the slogan could be something like "Your Life, Your Phone, Your Privacy."

I admit that something like this would appeal to a limited number of users who care mainly about privacy and don't give a rat's *** about apps, but who don't need MIL-SPEC encryption. So we're talking people who just want simple privacy, not paranoids who want every text messaged scrambled. But considering that it would cost very little to implement this option (and that it could even be an alternate revenue stream if reasonably priced), it's worth thinking about.
    This is kind of a pathetic post tbh.

I am honestly shocked at the lack of knowledge when it comes to online advertising and how Google works.
    08-27-15 09:34 PM
    DuickDuckGo is my primary search engine on my Passport and Desktop

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 10:58 PM
33 12