As long as BBM part of BB, there will be inherent bias and no absolute focus.
    Have a Silicon valley investor take a stake in BBM
    BBM will itself alone bring $15-20 a share
    New chapter in history of BBRY.
    Finally it shows it not a cranky, old company but nimble.
    Also very importantly, once shorts get burned, they will move away and stop constant bashing of BBRY. That means better perception = better business of all of BBRY. Shorts in cohorts with Media and Wall street has engaged in massive negative propaganda against BBRY.
    01-19-15 10:16 AM
    Sounds like a plan. But you really think BBM as a separate company can compete with other messaging systems out there?
    01-19-15 10:21 AM
    About a year after the release of cross-platform BBM it's clear that this app is really only catching on with people who either have Blackberries or are messaging people who use Blackberries. Without a significant install base beyond that it's just another messaging platform. I doubt it's worth billions.
    allengeorge likes this.
    01-19-15 10:31 AM
    Yes, absolutely.. what will change? BBM will be in better position to compete since sole focus will be as a messenger company and nothing else. also, get two key silicon valley financiers to back this plus a silicon valley team.
    BBM embedded in BBRY is a bad idea, almost a criminal offense to keep value under the lid. Let value be unleashed. Then no hurry to make revenues or profits on BBM.
    You cant compete with whatsapp when Zuckerberg said he has no interest in generating rev form whatsapp in near future. But chen is sooooo eager to get BBM rev. Its a sure bet to lose the messenger game. Chen shd spinoff BBM tomorrow. Mike, Jim did not listen to me to make BBM cross platform 4 years ago.

Sounds like a plan. But you really think BBM as a separate company can compete with other messaging systems out there?
    01-19-15 11:54 AM
    Asa long as BBM embedded in BBRY, there will be politics and other vested interests. let this baby fly free.
    It can take on whatsapp and snapchat and other messenger services. But only as a separate company.

About a year after the release of cross-platform BBM it's clear that this app is really only catching on with people who either have Blackberries or are messaging people who use Blackberries. Without a significant install base beyond that it's just another messaging platform. I doubt it's worth billions.
    01-19-15 11:55 AM
    Asa long as BBM embedded in BBRY, there will be politics and other vested interests. let this baby fly free.
    It can take on whatsapp and snapchat and other messenger services. But only as a separate company.
    One of the first things they would have to consider as an independent company would be the possibility of dropping Blackberry support in favor of Windows Mobile.
    01-19-15 12:23 PM
    Not sure how many investors will line up using parts of your reasoning; Zuckerberg is not interested in turning a profit with messaging service, Chen is too interested in using it to make money.
    Seems contradictory, to expect someone to spend billions on something, keep spending to build it up all the while knowing you are not interested in taking a profit.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    01-19-15 02:28 PM
    Zuckerberg has facebook, whatsapp is not to generate profit in short run.C hen under pressure to monetize BBM. Look at Line, Kik, whatsapp, snapchat? all valued more than all of BBRY.
    IMHO, it is almost criminal on BBRY management and board not to spinoff BBM as a separate public company.

Not sure how many investors will line up using parts of your reasoning; Zuckerberg is not interested in turning a profit with messaging service, Chen is too interested in using it to make money.
    Seems contradictory, to expect someone to spend billions on something, keep spending to build it up all the while knowing you are not interested in taking a profit.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    01-20-15 12:22 PM
    I understand, many issues will come... capital allocation, capital needs... regular stuff... but BBRy jumps to $35 per share, shorts get squeezed, leave BB alone and then BB can prosper, we can even see $75 a share in 2 years. $35 achievable tomorrow.

One of the first things they would have to consider as an independent company would be the possibility of dropping Blackberry support in favor of Windows Mobile.
    01-20-15 12:24 PM
    Remember this is all about enterprise now. A secure version of BBM for Enterprise is just one part of what BlackBerry offers them.

To remove it from this enterprise offering would not make any sense.

Good luck making money at it (BBM). Not going to happen. This why I think Chens plan is weak at best. To depend on revenue from a chat program is not a solid plan.

BlackBerry hates America!
    01-20-15 01:32 PM
    BBRY can still offer BBM even if BBM is a spinoff separate company.

Remember this is all about enterprise now. A secure version of BBM for Enterprise is just one part of what BlackBerry offers them.

To remove it from this enterprise offering would not make any sense.

Good luck making money at it (BBM). Not going to happen. This why I think Chens plan is weak at best. To depend on revenue from a chat program is not a solid plan.

01-20-15 02:43 PM
    As long as BBM remains buried inside BBRY that is focusing on enterrprise, BBM has limited potential. Let it be a stand alone company, only focus on messenger. Chen should spinoff BBM yesterday. There is a right way to do it.

01-20-15 04:50 PM
    Much better suited as an independent company to compete than buried inside BBRY bureaucracy. Gte new CEO for BBM, new financial backers, right capital structure and you have a $10Bil company. We get $18 a share...just on BBM

01-20-15 04:51 PM
    Ah sounds like you are more interested in what is good to increase the share price then what may be good long term for the company.

Posted via CB10
    spyeagle likes this.
    01-20-15 05:42 PM
    Company is an abstract term... shareholders own the company. Btw the shorts, media everypne is spreading propaganda about Blackberry. Get the stock to $35-40, shorts are gone and then see how this company flourishes.
    Btw did you say anything when Mike, Jim, Thorsten walked away with tons of money AFTER ruining the company? Or watsa offers $9 a share a few months back saying its worth in the $40s?
    As George Carlin says: Its all BS and its bad for ya

Ah sounds like you are more interested in what is good to increase the share price then what may be good long term for the company.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 07:26 PM
    Btw did you say anything when Mike, Jim, Thorsten walked away with tons of money AFTER ruining the company? Or watsa offers $9 a share a few months back saying its worth in the $40s?
    As George Carlin says: Its all BS and its bad for ya
    Yes I did. Thorsten was doing Prem's bidding. I don't trust Prem at all but he still has more say in what happens with the company than anyone.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 08:07 PM
    Zuckerberg had a specific need and specific plan when he bought WhatsApp. But why would an investor invest money in BBM, knowing (as you state) that you can't use it to make money with WhatsApp as your competition. So, what's in it for the investor?

People LOVE to talk about why other people and other companies should pour money into BB, and how that would be good for BB, but they never mention why it would be good for the entity actually putting in their money...
    01-20-15 08:58 PM
    So, remove BBM from Blackberry and what do you have that's so special?

I'm have BBM on the most popular platform, iOS, and never use it. Why? Because you can only be logged in to one device at a time. My iOS devices log me in using Touch ID so I hardly enter passwords anymore and BBM logs me out my iPhone if I use it on my iPad?

You'd have a better argument a year ago when some people thought that cross-platform BBM would be something other than a way to message Blackberry users but that didn't pan out. It didn't get picked up by other users and now every social networking app has a messaging component including Words With Friends.
    01-20-15 11:29 PM
    BBRY can still offer BBM even if BBM is a spinoff separate company.
    Yes they can but as stated it makes no sense.

The thing can't support itself.

01-21-15 07:05 AM
    It really doesn't make any sense because BBM value is actually linked to its potential with BES12. The 100 million that John Chen wants to earn from BBM in part comes from subscription services with eBBM and BBM meetings, although they don't need BES it will be a value added feature for BES. This is a cross sale opportunity. I would think revenue from the consumer market would be the minority of the revenue from BBM.

Posted via CB10
    serbanescu likes this.
    01-21-15 09:29 AM
    Because its about monetizing for the future.... If Zuckerberg have plans for whatsapp, dont you think MSFT or GOOG may have plans for BBM? Whatsapp is not as secure as BBM also.

Zuckerberg had a specific need and specific plan when he bought WhatsApp. But why would an investor invest money in BBM, knowing (as you state) that you can't use it to make money with WhatsApp as your competition. So, what's in it for the investor?

People LOVE to talk about why other people and other companies should pour money into BB, and how that would be good for BB, but they never mention why it would be good for the entity actually putting in their money...
    01-22-15 07:26 AM
    Look where that same perverted excuse of a thinking got us? What is good for the company is good for shareholders and vice versa. Are you a commie or a capitalist?
    Only if a Icahn kind of investor gets in, then we will see real value creation. Otherwise old, boring board too comfy in their position.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 07:29 AM
    What are you talking about? Why Line valued at $12 Billion, snapchat $10 bil?
    Please, dont argue, I have studied capital markets before you could breathe.

Yes they can but as stated it makes no sense.

The thing can't support itself.

01-22-15 07:30 AM
    What are you talking about? Why Line valued at $12 Billion, snapchat $10 bil?
    Please, dont argue, I have studied capital markets before you could breathe.
    You were studying capital markets before you could breath? That is your argument to a company being able to stand on its on. Most companies with these values are solely based upon potential value in the size of users. They do not make near that amount of money. That means they must get injected with cash from angel investors to keep alive. BBM does not have the revenue stream yet to keep the company going as a stand alone, therefore they will need a lot of investors and cash injected anyways.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 08:37 AM
    Would you support spinning off BBM to a smartphone company like Samsung or does it have to be a disinterested third party? And once it is spun off as a separate company would you care if it were suddenly acquired by Microsoft or an Apple/IBM joint venture? Could that even be prevented? What do the capital market say about spinning off companies with strings attached?
    01-22-15 01:20 PM
29 12