I had driver issues, probably because my laptop is older and there aren't any Win8 drivers. I got used to Metro and loved every bit of it.
    I'm with you. The only problems I've had with Windows 8 was a track pad driver problem. And that is because I upgraded my Windows 7 laptop. I'm obviously not blaming Windows 8 for that issue. I absolutely love Windows 8. Wouldn't go back to 7.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 05:08 PM
    Get the feeling OP hasn't used MS stuff much.

The surface RT specifically, and Windows RT is far superior to qnx and what the playbook achieved in all honesty. If you own one and have used it for any time side by side with a playbook, you will see its strengths. Don't be too sold on opinions in the tech press on.

Currently Winphone 8 is edging into 3rd place, ahead of blackberry, Windows RT suffers mostly from bad PR, its a solid system in which all its strong points for some bizarre reason are being levelled at it as weak points (for example when did people last complain they can't run osx apps on their iPad). Windows 8 will dominate the desktop market such as it is for the foreseeable future. I suspect Balmer and his buddies would probably say 'what is qnx by the way' after they stopped laughing at this thread.

Frankly if I was to bet on a horse at the moment, it would not be QNX.
    ajst222, Etios and Rickroller like this.
    08-16-13 05:38 PM
    I had driver issues, probably because my laptop is older and there aren't any Win8 drivers. I got used to Metro and loved every bit of it.
    That is one legitimate issue with Windows 8. Sadly, Microsoft can't force companies to update their drivers. I have a Lexmark all in one printer, copier and scanner that won't work with Windows 8 simply because Lexmark would rather I buy a new printer than they go to the trouble of updating their drivers.

The same thing happened when I moved to Windows 7.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    08-16-13 06:01 PM
    That is one legitimate issue with Windows 8. Sadly, Microsoft can't force companies to update their drivers. I have a Lexmark all in one printer, copier and scanner that won't work with Windows 8 simply because Lexmark would rather I buy a new printer than they go to the trouble of updating their drivers.

The same thing happened when I moved to Windows 7.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    I have yet to find a Windows 7 driver, other than Bluetooth ones, that does not work on Windows 8. The Windows 8 printer driver model is different and more efficient, but it will use Windows 7 drivers for the most part.
    08-16-13 06:08 PM
    It's too late for MS to go in any other direction than the one they're on now. Ballmer says that MS is seeking one common platform, and that's what they're doing.
    08-16-13 06:09 PM
    Some threads are not worth starting..ie this one. However, after reading the 'expert' postings regarding QNX, I am glad none of you posters work in development department in my company...
    08-16-13 06:37 PM
    I have yet to find a Windows 7 driver, other than Bluetooth ones, that does not work on Windows 8. The Windows 8 printer driver model is different and more efficient, but it will use Windows 7 drivers for the most part.
    I wish my printer would work, but it don't. Tried again a few weeks ago. It isn't even that old. I think I just had bad luck and got a model that Lexmark doesn't want to support.
    08-16-13 06:55 PM
    QNX is a kernel. None of the issues with WP8 have anything to do with the kernel.

Anything that anyone wants to see improved in WP8 has to do with UI, or Apps, or integration options. That sort of thing. A real-time kernel is of no use to them on these devices, and switching the kernel out would do absolutely nothing to improve the user experience on WP8.

The kernel is just a tiny part of an operating system.
    Interestingly, supporting your point is the fact that MS did indeed change the kernel out fairly recently in winphone 8 and nobody even noticed. I think it was the amber update but i might be mistaken, that saw a complete kernel change. Impact in userland - zero.
    08-16-13 07:08 PM
    Let's all be honest windows phone sucks, windows 8 sucks and they're stupid for creating windows RT. BlackBerry has a far better system and with the idea of mobile computing and Microsoft being a computer company they would work out. Alas only in my dreams lol.

Posted via CB10
    In team it will only get better. I don't think they should switch to QNIX as it would require them to re-learn everything they have just learned from making Windows 8 or some variation of it work on a phone device. I think if MS was smart they should continued to research after PDA's on the very first smartphones that way they wouldn't be so far behind now.
    08-16-13 07:37 PM
    I dont think they should switch to QNX at all.
    Thankfully someone said it... Does anyone here realize what a kernel switch like this would entail?
    08-16-13 08:17 PM
    Of course they SHOULD....but they won't
    08-16-13 10:05 PM
    Thankfully someone said it... Does anyone here realize what a kernel switch like this would entail?
    not sure if the OP got it though lol
    08-16-13 10:12 PM
    Heh-heh... I agree it would be messy.

Tho' I suspect it would be do-able. Few things that don't actually violate the laws of physics (Cap'n) are truly impossible given enough time and resources... but that doesn't mean it's generally a good idea to try to do them! LOL

The gain must always outweigh the pain to make experiencing the pain worthwhile... and here... there's no gain for Microsoft in using QNX to replace a "working perfectly" NT kernel. It would ultimately become a pointless exercise for the interested reader.
    08-17-13 04:02 AM
    I just wanted to say that I'd like to nominate the original post of this thread for "stupidest post of the month" on the Crackberry.com forums. Yep, replace a mobile OS that is struggling to gain traction with the core of another mobile OS that is struggling even more to gain traction.

I think Microsoft is probably glad the original poster isn't "Microsoft_Boss".
    08-17-13 09:25 AM
    snip...Microsoft Blackberry mis judges what the consumer wants over and over again though. They would have ruined Blackberry and QNX
    No charge for corrections.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-17-13 10:22 AM
65 123