I pre-ordered it from Kobo. I'm interested in the book specifically because of the access to Jim and Mike the authors had.
    I have to say, I'm relieved to find you're still around Renee.
    reeneebob likes this.
    05-26-15 01:02 PM
    I have to say, I'm relieved to find you're still around Renee.
    Yep, not as active because of work demands on any of the mobile nations boards, but still standing...I still pull for BB, contrary to the accusations and obsessions of some of the 'faithful'
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-26-15 02:11 PM
    I'm new to the group, so not allowed to post links yet, but for anyone interested, I'm a journalist in Waterloo and I've read this book, as well as interviewed its authors in depth. If you're interested, you can read my lengthy Q+A with them at news dot communitech dot ca.
    ALToronto likes this.
    05-26-15 03:25 PM
    Yep, not as active because of work demands on any of the mobile nations boards, but still standing...I still pull for BB, contrary to the accusations and obsessions of some of the 'faithful'
    Good to hear. Yes, even though we might not always agree, I'm glad we have a good and lively mix of opinions.

I'm not sure about this book, and whether it needed to be written. Maybe something good is coming out of it. I hope it's at least as up-to-date as possible... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    reeneebob likes this.
    05-26-15 06:39 PM
    Good to hear. Yes, even though we might not always agree, I'm glad we have a good and lively mix of opinions.

I'm not sure about this book, and whether it needed to be written. Maybe something good is coming out of it. I hope it's at least as up-to-date as possible... :-)

I'm home recovering from food poisoning (thanks Tim Hortons) so I'm about 8 chapters in now. It's starting to get into the release of the Pearl and first breaching the consumer market.

It's a little dry getting going, but it lays out in finite details the technological foundations that made BlackBerry. It does some time jumps but at the start it focuses on Jim Balsillie flying to Dubai to sell the important people on why they should stay BB while he's in the air the failure of the server hot swap and router that led to the multiday failure of the NOC, something that, at least in my eyes, signalled the worst of the snowball rolling on BB losing the consumer market. How Balsillie tried to placate people who had non working BB services by giving out 'extremely rare' gold and white 9900's that only a couple of people had...and then disclosing he gave out dozens of them and that he had essentially given them not so rare and non functioning handsets to try to soothe their concerns.

It does seem remarkably tone deaf of Balsillie.

Also apparently Balsillie was famous for going through phones by dropping them in the toilet. Heh.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    05-26-15 07:51 PM
    I'm home recovering from food poisoning (thanks Tim Hortons) so I'm about 8 chapters in now. It's starting to get into the release of the Pearl and first breaching the consumer market.

It's a little dry getting going, but it lays out in finite details the technological foundations that made BlackBerry. It does some time jumps but at the start it focuses on Jim Balsillie flying to Dubai to sell the important people on why they should stay BB while he's in the air the failure of the server hot swap and router that led to the multiday failure of the NOC, something that, at least in my eyes, signalled the worst of the snowball rolling on BB losing the consumer market. How Balsillie tried to placate people who had non working BB services by giving out 'extremely rare' gold and white 9900's that only a couple of people had...and then disclosing he gave out dozens of them and that he had essentially given them not so rare and non functioning handsets to try to soothe their concerns.

It does seem remarkably tone deaf of Balsillie.

Also apparently Balsillie was famous for going through phones by dropping them in the toilet. Heh.

Sorry you are sick but cool that you are reading the book. Let us know how it is as you get further along. I might consider reading this, but would probably just get frustrated at the shear level of inept thought that went on in Waterloo during that time.

Posted via Z30
    05-27-15 09:41 AM
    I'm almost over it finally. Let's say I won't be eating Tim Hortons soup for a loooooooong time. Lol

I'm up to RIM losing the patent lawsuit and the impending threat of the U.S. Sales injunction. Some of the stuff is simply jaw dropping in the arrogance.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-27-15 10:42 AM
    They were discussing the book with the authors on CBC Radio this morning. A lot of it was focusing on the past, which we can all agree the public already does.

They didn't mention BlackBerry today very much, and I wish they mentioned BlackBerry10.

Though let's not forget how far BlackBerry 10 had to come to be as good as it is now.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    05-27-15 11:32 AM
    But I think that was the point, covering the build up of the company to a huge success and then the quick missteps that started its downfall. I think the point was covering the story until the two men that started everything were no longer part of the company.

05-27-15 02:12 PM
    Wow...

Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-27-15 05:41 PM
    Ouch...

8-o

05-27-15 11:26 PM
    I'm up to the point where they contemplate SMS 2.0.

I recommend the book... Although the clearly ruined friendship is sad to read about.
    05-27-15 11:37 PM

I recommend the book... Although the clearly ruined friendship is sad to read about.
    Is that where it stands now? Unfortunate...
    05-27-15 11:38 PM
    Yeah it definitely seems to still be ruined judging from some of the interviews the author has given.

There were bad feelings from the stock scandal and it went downhill from there.
    05-27-15 11:39 PM
    I too am reading the book - well - listening to it on Audible during my commute. As a long time BlackBerry fan (since the 7520) I have found the book to be interesting, filling in a lot of history, giving some interesting insights to the people and events that shaped the company for good and bad. There are a lot of triumphs mentioned in the "rise" part of the book, they don't get mentioned much these days but those of us who remember how revolutionary the early BlackBerry phones were remember the great things they allowed us to do, that nothing else till that time, had done. Brings back some great memories for me.

Reason for my post is this. I remember Kevin Michaluk saying along the way he was considering writing a very similar book, one that kind of told the stories we had not heard before. I would love to see a book review from Kevin here. Not that Bla1ze you don't know all these stories for sure I bet you know a lot of them. Kevin is the original CrackBerry Kevin and I would love to hear what he has to say about this book and if he's still thinking about his own, maybe in the process of doing that very endeavor. I promise to be first in line should he do it fwiw!
    HonnyBrown likes this.
    05-28-15 08:24 AM
    The book is a decent read. But, understanding that the authors had access to high profile people like Lazaridis and Balsillie, I'm surprised that there were not more insights.

The book reads like a rise and fall tragedy. In key ways both ceos caused the downfall.

What I don't get and what was never explored is Lazaridis was a guy who always had teams working on developing projects, many of which never made it to the market, but he chooses to do nothing about iPhone for a long time? If Storm was not rushed and released broken, the world would be different today.

Balsillie is less of a dummy than I had always thought. So much of what he said and did in public was a conscious act, even if it was bad acting. Still, he saw RIM's deteriorating devices position before others and had a viable software based strategy that Lazaridis killed.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 08:08 AM
    Many a former employee will attest to the incompetence of management at every level of Blackberry (Research In Motion) during their decline. It still appears John Chen is thrashing like a non-swimmer in a stormy ocean. The mixed messages in his announcement and media appearances do nothing to install confidence.
    05-29-15 08:37 AM
    Do you think this book is making the stock go down?? :-{

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>
    05-29-15 08:38 AM

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>
    No the anticipation of a horrible quarter in hardware with no increase in software revenue is doing that.

Posted via Z30
    05-29-15 10:18 AM
    Verizon got angry? Verizon got burned. Badly.
    Didn't know you were personally there to oversee everything. Perhaps you have a copy of the Storm agreement that you drafted which set out the rights, duties and obligations for each party during that time?
    05-29-15 06:00 PM
    I'll put my 2 cents in. I personally think this book is good for today's BlackBerry.

It tells the story of Mike and Jim. But in doing that it also tells North America that BlackBerry isn't RIM or "Mike and Jim" anymore. Honestly how many Americans even know that they haven't ran the show for years? Its letting Americans know that the Mike and Jim days are in the past. The BlackBerry you may choose for your EMM solution is a totally different product, and the Co-CEO days and mistakes associated are over.

So in a sense what I'm saying is there's no such thing as bad publicity in the press world. BlackBerry may yet get a few more fans from this book, regardless of the theatrical title. I bet you secretly Chen is thanking these reporters for telling the story. It gives him the chance to shed the old reputation and build a new one.

My take away so far reading this book is that we would have seen a totally different BlackBerry and potential powerhouse in the tech industry had Mike and Jim stepped down pre 2007-08. The research was not in motion. As CEOs go, their time was over and they didn't have the energy left to handle the next wave of innovation BlackBerry needed as early as back then.

I too would be interested in Crackberry Kevin's take on the book, as he's professionally chronicled RIM and could've written this book himself.

 Q10 on 10.3.1.2582 
    jas1978 likes this.
    05-30-15 11:45 AM

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>
    The stock is stuck in a trading band. It always goes down around $11 and then usually rebounds around $9.
    05-30-15 05:00 PM

I'm at the part where the iPhone has been announced. What was shocking for me was how much of a personal toll the NTP lawsuit took on both of them physically and mentally.
    06-09-15 07:16 PM
    Should be renamed

The rise and fall and back on top again,

they just can't finish it yet.
    You're gonna need to face reality one day. The book is perfectly named. A company that ruled the market and dismissed a new product and new technology because they ruled the market. BB will never claw its way to the top or even near the top. They are just too far behind and refuse to even get into the mix with top tier products. It's one thing to be loyal to your favorite brand but to pretend that they can once again claim their spot at the top when they refuse to even try and compete, You're in for a lot of disappointment when it comes to this company. I know, I wish they would get in the game but, I needed a new device and BB had nothing to offer. Two year old phones are not ideal for replacing two year old phones
    06-09-15 07:41 PM
    Like I've said before. It's intentional sabotage. Should BlackBerry succeeded, it will change the game for lots of people.

The Z10 STL 100-3 on 10.3.1.27087 BlackBerry owners on AT&T Channel C0032C652
    06-09-15 07:59 PM
113 1234 ...