Heres an ad:

This is Ted. Ted bought a Note 7.
    Attachment 416743

Don't be like Ted. Buy a Blackberry Mercury.
    Best one for sure

Posted Via Passport with CB10 app
    02-13-17 07:20 AM
    Lets sell some mercurys, pitch me your best ad campaign-mockit_14022017213511.jpg

Posted via CB10
    herbersh likes this.
    02-14-17 02:36 PM
    Show clips and blurbs of news articles and commentators saying it is the end of BlackBerry smartphones (there was even a cartoon circulated with a gravestone in the image of a BlackBerry phone). Somber music in the background. Suddenly a BlackBerry Mercury materializes and swirls around as it gets bigger and bigger till it overtakes everything and the " BlackBerry phones are dead" clamor and images slink away and fade into dust. This to triumphant music. A voice says something like: "BlackBerry phones, more alive than ever!" This all can take place in a few seconds 10 to 15 seconds at most. Then together with the Mercury, the logos for the new BlackBerry and BlackBerry Mobile appear along with info about how it is a secured android phone, and some of its awesome features connected to the PKB etc. This would make a much needed statement that BlackBerry phones are NOT dead and also promote the phone. Yes, I would like royalties if this is used lol. But I mainly want the phone to be successful. 😁 I want the Mercury and TCL's new BlackBerry Mobile phones going forward to be a resounding success. [And I am hoping for a Priv 2 down the road ☺ ]
    Seriously, they do need to make some fun ads, and not just "boring business phone" ads.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-16-17 03:49 PM
    In england fosters did these "good call" ads featuring two aussie guys. They were pretty good, funny, original. And you didnt think a whole lot about it until you look and realize it was the single most successful beer ad campaign in englands history. For every 1£ they spent on advertising, they mad an extra 32£. Something like selling and extra 36 cans of beer for every pound spent, that's on top of what they'd normally sell. The closest ever to that, was less that 20£ per £ in the mid 1990s

You wonder what someone like blackberry, if they actually had cared about advertising could have done.
    Fosters beer is actually not bad.... for a commercially brewed beer. You have to start with a product that is at least as good, if not better than the competition.
    02-16-17 03:56 PM
    A voice says something like: "BlackBerry phones, more alive than ever!"
    I like your skit concept. How about "BlackBerry, the rumor about our death has been greatly exaggerated" Spoken by Tim Allen in his Buzz Lightyear voice.
    02-19-17 02:49 AM
    [QUOTE=Tim-ANC;12769961]I like your skit concept. How about "BlackBerry, the rumor about our death has been greatly exaggerated" Spoken by Tim Allen in his Buzz Lightyear voice.[/QUOT
    Adding to that, it would say that as a segue into the 2nd part of the clip, as the Mercury swirls around etc as described earlier with crescendo music, then show the Mercury and someone pushing its buttons (keys) bringing some of the cool-eye popping keyboard features that make it come alive. [I think the scrolling with the keyboard should be featured here as well. It has a wow factor when I show people this on my Priv.] Then say "...more alive than EVER!"
    Last edited by Sigewif; 02-19-17 at 01:45 PM.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-19-17 01:14 PM
    You wonder what someone like blackberry, if they actually had cared about advertising could have done.
    The problem is that beer and smartphones are very different. Unlike beer, smartphones have a number of dependencies. People have existing investments in other ecosystems, and they have app and service needs. Also, Foster's didn't have a negative brand image, built over a decade, to have to overcome.
    Finally, a person's "investment" in Foster's was minor, and easy to write off if it didn't work out. For most people, a smartphone is a fairly large investment, and they're much less likely to try something without being confident it will do what they need it to do.

There's no question that BB's advertising (and marketing overall) has long been terrible - it's clear that everyone involved is so pro-BB that they couldn't imagine any other viewpoint - yet they were marketing to people who virtually ALL had other viewpoints.

But no matter how good the advertising, if the product can't deliver, and it's not a throw-away item (like a beer), then it's going to be returned - and returns cost a ton of money and generate more negative brand image.

Also, if you advertise, you have to have the inventory available to back up that advertising - or you'll just drive customers to your competitors when they came in to buy your product. That would have meant big investments in purchase commitments for hardware, hiring store reps, etc. We're talking billions of dollars of investment - essentially what they did at BB10's launch - in order to take real advantage of effective advertising. Post 2013, BB didn't have money for any of that.
    02-25-17 01:20 PM
    The problem is that beer and smartphones are very different. Unlike beer, smartphones have a number of dependencies. People have existing investments in other ecosystems, and they have app and service needs. Also, Foster's didn't have a negative brand image, built over a decade, to have to overcome.
    Finally, a person's "investment" in Foster's was minor, and easy to write off if it didn't work out. For most people, a smartphone is a fairly large investment, and they're much less likely to try something without being confident it will do what they need it to do.

There's no question that BB's advertising (and marketing overall) has long been terrible - it's clear that everyone involved is so pro-BB that they couldn't imagine any other viewpoint - yet they were marketing to people who virtually ALL had other viewpoints.

But no matter how good the advertising, if the product can't deliver, and it's not a throw-away item (like a beer), then it's going to be returned - and returns cost a ton of money and generate more negative brand image.

Also, if you advertise, you have to have the inventory available to back up that advertising - or you'll just drive customers to your competitors when they came in to buy your product. That would have meant big investments in purchase commitments for hardware, hiring store reps, etc. We're talking billions of dollars of investment - essentially what they did at BB10's launch - in order to take real advantage of effective advertising. Post 2013, BB didn't have money for any of that.
    There are things Blackberry should have done. Things that raise brand awareness and improve brand image, for example. Product placement in TV and film would have been great for the Passport because it really gets attention when people see it in public. Apple aggressively used product placement before they started advertising again during their comeback.

If you took a poll, most people would say that Blackberry went out of business years ago. It's really almost self-fulfilling.
    02-25-17 08:35 PM
    The type of ad that would suit blackberry politics:

A: Hey what's that?

B: A blackberry..

A: Wow that looks amazing, how much did it cost?

B: 600 euros

A: Nevermind.
    02-25-17 08:38 PM
    There are things Blackberry should have done. Things that raise brand awareness and improve brand image, for example. Product placement in TV and film would have been great for the Passport because it really gets attention when people see it in public. Apple aggressively used product placement before they started advertising again during their comeback.
    Product placement only works when people know what it is they're seeing. It works because it associates a product that the person is already aware of and understands with use by celebrities or other "people of influence."

For that reason, product placement wouldn't have worked for BB - most people couldn't tell you what was special about a BB phone, and so they'd have either seen it as a "generic" phone in their mind, or as an "obsolete BB". And in fact, it DIDN'T work. BB did have product placement in a number of popular TV shows, including 24 and House Of Cards, but I doubt it sold more than a handful of extra phones for the reasons I gave above.

What BB absolutely NEEDED to do, and completely and utterly failed to do, was to let customers know that BB10 was an ALL-NEW, MODERN OS. They could have done that by giving it an all-new name (and NOT used BlackBerry anywhere in the name), and also by making ads that explicitly said that this was a brand new, built-from-scratch OS. That would have prevented millions of people from instantly dismissing BB10 as "just another BB" - and many would have at least been curious and would have taken a second look. But by insisting on carrying the BB name forward, they ensured that most people would apply the negative brand image they built from 2008-2012 to every new BB10 phone - which is clearly what happened.

And why did that happen? Why did BB fail to educate their customers? Simple: BB created such a pro-BB "echo-chamber" up in Waterloo that they simply couldn't grasp (or, could be in denial with few people to tell them any different) that BB in fact had a massively negative brand image. Instead, BB leadership "felt that the BB name had value" when it had NEGATIVE value to most of the market. The BB name should have been allowed to die with BBOS, and a new name for the BB10 product line should have been used. And, certainly, renaming the company from RIM to BB was yet another idiotic, tone-deaf move. Had BB leadership (Mike, and then Thornton) recognized and accepted how badly the BB name was damaged, they could have separated the new products and given them a "clean slate." Instead, they attached all of the old, negative baggage to BB10 and then were surprised at how fast it sank.

Of course, it ultimately wouldn't have made a HUGE difference, because BB10 was 6 years too late - but at least by doing what I've discussed here, instead of what they actually did, they could have truthfully claimed that they did their best and were competent in their efforts. The reality was that even a middle-school kid could figure out their mistakes.
    02-25-17 09:33 PM
    Turn it into one of my typical drunk nights when one of my co-workers makes fun of my BlackBerry.

"Alright, let's have a race to complete common every day functions"

"Turn on your Wifi"
    iPhone user swipes, presses. BlackBerry user long presses W *click*.

"Turn on your Flashlight"
    iPhone user swipes, folder presses, presses again. BlackBerry user long presses F *click*.

"Compose an email"
    iPhone user presses, and presses again. BlackBerry Long presses C *click*.

"Create a memo"
    iPhone user Swipes, Swipes, presses. BlackBerry presses D *click*.

"Check your upcoming appointments on your calendar"
    iPhone user Swipes, presses, and presses again. BlackBerry user presses C *click*.

"Call your best friend"
    iPhone user presses, scrolls, scrolls, presses again. BlackBerry user long presses a button *click*.

"Open the PPT from the meeting on so and so".
    iPhone user swipes, presses, types topic, presses. BlackBerry user presses S *click*, types in the topic, presses.

Then the BlackBerry user smirks.

"Check all unread messages from WhatsApp, all your email clients, Line, WeChat, Hangouts, and SMS"
    BlackBerry user presses M *click*, pinches hub. The hub aggregates all unread messages from all their apps. iPhone user's jaw drops as they reach for the BlackBerry and starts fiddling with it.

BlackBerry Mercury: Stop Swiping, start clicking.

Or

BlackBerry Mercury: When everything just 'clicks'.

BAM!
    Very Nice!
    02-25-17 11:31 PM
    New theme song should be Rush's "Working Man". I don't have the skills, but set the launch video to Working Man, and it leaves a whole different impression.

No Angry Birds, Candy Crush, or B.S. Just Productivity. Be a Working Man (or Woman!).

And nice reference to Canadian roots.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 10:24 AM
    New theme song should be Rush's "Working Man". I don't have the skills, but set the launch video to Working Man, and it leaves a whole different impression.

No Angry Birds, Candy Crush, or B.S. Just Productivity. Be a Working Man (or Woman!).

As much as I like Rush, this is just the failed "tools not toys" argument. That's what got BB to where they are today.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    02-26-17 12:22 PM
    As much as I like Rush, this is just the failed "tools not toys" argument. That's what got BB to where they are today.
    Most of the ideas in this thread are pitched from people whom "tools not toys" worked on, it seems.
    02-26-17 12:22 PM
    They should sponsor the Summer tour of the official band of the BlackBerry KEYone - The Black Keys, of course.
    02-26-17 12:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sure ! Let's keep it Canadian and do a promo with Tim Hortons "Roll Away Your RIM to Win! "
    02-26-17 01:25 PM
    Sure ! Let's keep it Canadian and do a promo with Tim Hortons "Roll Away Your RIM to Win! "
    #sadtrombone . Aw yeah! TimmyMe app is the only NFC payment opportunity I get here in the U.S. with my Classic. Why not give them a piece of the action? All this secure tech and the best I can do is buy coffee.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-26-17 08:18 PM
    Product placement only works when people know what it is they're seeing. It works because it associates a product that the person is already aware of and understands with use by celebrities or other "people of influence."

For that reason, product placement wouldn't have worked for BB - most people couldn't tell you what was special about a BB phone, and so they'd have either seen it as a "generic" phone in their mind, or as an "obsolete BB".
    You don't believe that people can tell the Passport is unique? People obsess over them. I can't get over the reactions I get, and they are all positive. Shots of the Passport with the logo would have been constructive.

Honestly, I'm tired of responding to your defending BlackBerry's abject non-marketing and massive failures in both BB10 and Android. I'd prefer you just ignore me.
    02-26-17 11:55 PM
    You don't believe that people can tell the Passport is unique? People obsess over them. I can't get over the reactions I get, and they are all positive. Shots of the Passport with the logo would have been constructive.

Honestly, I'm tired of responding to your defending BlackBerry's abject non-marketing and massive failures in both BB10 and Android. I'd prefer you just ignore me.
    Wait, did you suggest that Blackberry should have advertised to alert people to BB10's existence? Wow, that is new.
    02-26-17 11:59 PM
    Not much chance of that, when you continually ignore the facts, move the goalposts with every post, and refuse any viewpoint but your own - especially when the evidence is heavily stacked against you. It just causes a dozen others to start the "why didn't BB..." questions all over again, when the answers are already widely known.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-01-17 12:29 AM
    just bring this guy back... it all going to be OK.
    03-01-17 07:37 AM
    Not much chance of that, when you continually ignore the facts, move the goalposts with every post, and refuse any viewpoint but your own - especially when the evidence is heavily stacked against you. It just causes a dozen others to start the "why didn't BB..." questions all over again, when the answers are already widely known.
    The problem is you don't understand the difference between facts and opinions. It's a waste of time having any sort of discussion under this circumstance.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-17 10:23 AM
    Back to the topic.
    Now that we have the name: I came up with a jingle (pronounce the e in "the" with a long e sound.)
    KEYone...
    Should I get me one?
    Is this phone thē one
    For me?? 🎶
    To be sung to a lively tune. By some 20 somethings. Then as the specs are described along with text headings the melody is played as an instrumental in the background. At the end, it is sung with these words:
    KEYone!
    I'm getting me one?
    I know it's thē one
    For me! 🎶
    Any royalties for using this need to include the KEYone
    03-02-17 06:21 PM
    [QUOTE=Sigewif;12770444]
    I like your skit concept. How about "BlackBerry, the rumor about our death has been greatly exaggerated" Spoken by Tim Allen in his Buzz Lightyear voice.[/QUOT
    Adding to that, it would say that as a segue into the 2nd part of the clip, as the Mercury swirls around etc as described earlier with crescendo music, then show the Mercury and someone pushing its buttons (keys) bringing some of the cool-eye popping keyboard features that make it come alive. [I think the scrolling with the keyboard should be featured here as well. It has a wow factor when I show people this on my Priv.] Then say "...more alive than EVER!"
    How about the rumor of our survival has been greatly exaggerated? Or more accurately greatly simulated?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 07:59 PM
    A Photographer Pulls out his Camera to shoot, and his blackberry to send thumbnails. A Doctor uses his equipment and uses BlackBerry for email. An Architect with his digital screens, but BlackBerry for coordination.

Professional tools, for professional trades.
    Securely efficient. Efficiently Secure

BlackBerry PP
    03-03-17 01:51 AM
103 ... 2345