Oh yes I agree... I was trying to make the point that even in the "no money upfront" segment of the market where the Z10 *is* superior in specs (as opposed to not having a better camera, etc...) it still gets no notice because of that.

Yes, that is the catch 22 BB is in. I think that the only way they could have avoided it was to build a more secure, business centric UI on top of Android.

The last figure I saw stated that around 70% of smartphone buyers use downloaded apps on their phone and that was in 2011.
    08-21-13 04:32 PM
    The ecosystem is certainly a component of the Blackberry lack of mind share in the US. BUT THE PRIMARY REASON, IS THAT NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THE NEW OS10 DEVICES. In my casual conversations, it is rare to encounter anyone who even knows that new Blackberry models are out and those who do think it is just a new case on the same "last year's thing" and not even to be considered. When I explain some of the new features, their interest generally picks up - sometimes a lot. When I pulled out my Z10, a bystander asked "What kind of iPhone is that?"

To counter this BB, must spend a lot, maybe 1/2 of a Billion on very well made media prime time ads, print ads, everywhere. These must stress the BENEFITS of the new Blackberry OS10 line with all nice features demonstrated in the ads. This so people have some idea that they should take another look at Blackberry.
    08-21-13 10:08 PM
    The ecosystem is certainly a component of the Blackberry lack of mind share in the US. BUT THE PRIMARY REASON, IS THAT NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THE NEW OS10 DEVICES. In my casual conversations, it is rare to encounter anyone who even knows that new Blackberry models are out and those who do think it is just a new case on the same "last year's thing" and not even to be considered. When I explain some of the new features, their interest generally picks up - sometimes a lot. When I pulled out my Z10, a bystander asked "What kind of iPhone is that?"

To counter this BB, must spend a lot, maybe 1/2 of a Billion on very well made media prime time ads, print ads, everywhere. These must stress the BENEFITS of the new Blackberry OS10 line with all nice features demonstrated in the ads. This so people have some idea that they should take another look at Blackberry.
    Yes, that's no doubt true. BB has really bungled the advertising on these devices. They really should be stressing clearly how great of a leap these phones are compared to their OLD offerings, honestly (just to get the BB faithful coming back who may be considering other phones).

However, no matter how much you talk up the devices, once the users get them home - if they make it that far - they will begin to ask questions about the apps they expect. They won't care that they have BB10 or that their friends have Android or iOS but they will care when their friend has Instagram or a banking app and they can't. This results in a lot of returns which is part of the reason salespeople don't push the phone to begin with...
    08-21-13 10:31 PM
    The ecosystem is certainly a component of the Blackberry lack of mind share in the US. BUT THE PRIMARY REASON, IS THAT NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THE NEW OS10 DEVICES.
    I think more people know, and just don't want the new devices.

BBRY had been unable to convert its own core constituency: legacy BBOS users. Surely, they know about the new OS.
    08-21-13 11:06 PM
229 ... 8910