Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Lack of ecosystem is the #1 reason why blackberry sales are low

The only reason why blackberry isn't making it is becauise of apps. I am still a blackberry owner and hope I will last but no question asked the only reason they not making it is the lack of apps. Almost every commercial I see for something that has an app always says in it "can be downloaded on itunes or google play" bothers me everytime I see that and they say nothing about blackberry. All thet free advertizment going around for them and who wouldn't want a phone that every app is made for the phone.
    Last edited by aron2; 08-15-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
    Dude_9 (08-22-2013),  ranzabar (08-17-2013) 
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    13,125 Global Posts

I hesitate to say BBRY has failed, but I do agree the single biggest factor the brand has suffered is because its devices do not have the extra functionality a healthy ecosystem brings.
    Thanked by 2:
    Berrynudge (08-21-2013),  keypad (08-15-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

It's all about the apps now, not how good the phone or operating system is.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    GingerSnapsBack (08-16-2013) 
    KyleOsborne148 and ranzabar like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

These are computing platforms now, so yes apps are the single most important issue. Here is a brochure from Volkswagen talking about their new Car-Net system. Notice the pictures of the app integration show an iPhone. There is the familiar "Available in App Store" logo. And the brochure says "Android coming soon".

Every time a company like Volkwagen says "available for iPhone and Android" they reinforce the idea that iPhone and Android are the platforms that most people use. It also reminds people that if you buy a BB10 phone and then happen to buy a Volkwagen next year, and you want to check to see if your doors are locked, you're probably going to be out of luck.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    13,125 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by app_Developer View Post
    These are computing platforms now, so yes apps are the single most important issue. Here is a brochure from Volkswagen talking about their new Car-Net system. Notice the pictures of the app integration show an iPhone. There is the familiar "Available in App Store" logo. And the brochure says "Android coming soon".

Every time a company like Volkwagen says "available for iPhone and Android" they reinforce the idea that iPhone and Android are the platforms that most people use. It also reminds people that if you buy a BB10 phone and then happen to buy a Volkwagen next year, and you want to check to see if your doors are locked, you're probably going to be out of luck.
    Agreed. Every time a bank, or a retailer, or even a government agency advertises apps for the Big Two, BBRY seems that more deficient in the category of apps.
    kbz1960 and bbfan1040 like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    558 Global Posts

Failed? no.

Failing? yes.

More crucial native apps needed? Yes.
    CrackBerry User

IMHO the failure has been due to the arrogance of the previous Co-CEOs that refused to innovate BBOS sooner toward what is now BB10. They scoffed at Apple and Android full touch devices, and by the time RIM/BBRY realized what needed to be done their market share had dwindled and the public started to view BlackBerry devices as antiquated and passe. We now live in a virtual duopoly of Android and Apple. I hope they can find the right partner to turn things around in time, but some serious rebranding and marketing will need to be done to alter the public's perception on BBRY.
    Thanked by 2:
    bbfan1040 (08-16-2013),  keypad (08-15-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Sorry OP. The #1 reason why BlackBerry failed is very clear.

The first generation iPhone was released on June 29, 2007. It took BlackBerry until January 30, 2013 to come anywhere close to a full touch screen competitor. (argue all you want, the Storm, was and still is a piece of ****)

That means BlackBerry was asleep at the wheel for 5 years, 7 months and 1 day or, for those of you keep score at home 2,042 days.

The lack of apps doesn't help, but other than the core BlackBerry loyalists most consumers moved on to iOS or Android and got tired of waiting.
    The reason big new things sneak by incumbents is that the next big thing always starts out being dismissed as a “toy.” This is one of the main insights of Clay Christensen’s “disruptive technology” theory.
    Thanked by:
    agp101 (08-17-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Ok I'll have hope like you guys I changed it to failing. But come on blackberry knew it that apps would be a big game changer and promised to be up to par when new os comes out. Why no bb app world logo on ads
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,096 Global Posts

This seems like an appropriate place to re-post this:

Lack of ecosystem is the #1 reason why blackberry sales are low-balsillie-lazaridis.jpg
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 4
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by GoJaysGo View Post
    Sorry OP. The #1 reason why BlackBerry failed is very clear.

The first generation iPhone was released on June 29, 2007. It took BlackBerry until January 30, 2013 to come anywhere close to a full touch screen competitor. (argue all you want, the Storm, was and still is a piece of ****)

That means BlackBerry was asleep at the wheel for 5 years, 7 months and 1 day or, for those of you keep score at home 2,042 days.

The lack of apps doesn't help, but other than the core BlackBerry loyalists most consumers moved on to iOS or Android and got tired of waiting.
    So you think if they came out with new phone every year and new os without all these apps that are out today they would make it? I don't think so. Apps today is like a new technolagy that everyone wants just pay attention to how many times u see or hear itunes or google play. Its all over

I'd say it's apps + their insistence on building devices who's hardware were a generation or two behind and attempting to graft additional modern functions on to the aging BBOS. Not only were there no apps, but their devices just felt out old when compared next to their competitors.
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPhone 5s, iPad mini retina
    CrackBerry Abuser

Does Blackberry even make a large $ on Apps?
    Why don't they just admit defeat...And open up the Android environment on BB10.
    Yes you can get BB10 - specific stuff on AppWorld..but you can also download all you want from Google Play and have BB just run it in the sandbox.
    The only thing they have to loose at this point would be AppWorld revenue..which again can't be that much...
    Devs would be happier getting $ from a new customer base, and might create more BB10 specific stuff where it makes sense.

Not Ideal..but gives the consumer an option if they want a secure Blackberry phone but don't want to go without the App selection.

Basically turns BB into a "premium" Android phone
    iBold9700 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,096 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoJaysGo View Post
    What about the 9850/9860 full touch Torch? That was no Storm. No iPhone, either, admittedly, but it was no Storm.

In any event, you are talking about the same thing as the OP but from a different angle, or perspective, or point in time. If Fat Mike and Bald Jim had been on their toes back in 2007, they could have marshaled RIM's considerable resources and gotten out a good iPhone competitor within two years probably. Sometime in 2009, let's say, when OS 5 was leaking and the 9700 was about to come out. That was before app craziness took over completely -- Android Market had only slightly more than 2,000 apps when it launched in spring of that year.

If it was a good phone, the developers would have jumped on the bandwagon.

But no -- our two heroes stuck with the creeky, outdated OS and we got the 9700 and the Storm 2 in 2009. Their big plans were to keep the OS and slap a touchscreen on and run a webkit browser, with a sliding keyboard as a sop to the physical keyboard crowd. Hello Torch! What apps did we get with that. Angry Farm, which was to Angry Birds what those watches sold on Canal Street labeled "Roleks" are to actual Rolex watches.

Even if by then, in August 2010, RIM had released a viable competitor to the iPhone 4 and original Galaxy that were released about the same time, it might well have attracted serious developer support. But we know what happened.

Fat Mike and Bald Jim Asleep at the Switch = No Apps
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 4
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    Thanked by:
    JR A (08-17-2013) 
    JR A likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by mcstravi View Post
    Why don't they just admit defeat...And open up the Android environment on BB10.
    Yes you can get BB10 - specific stuff on AppWorld..but you can also download all you want from Google Play and have BB just run it in the sandbox.
    That's not Blackberry's decision to make. To work with Google Play, the OS must be certified by Google. Google won't certify an OS that is part Android, part something else.

If BB wants access to Google services, they have to go full on Android (customized of course like Samsung and others do)
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts

I'd agree that apps is ONE of the biggest problems, but I'd say the biggest problem is execution or lack thereof.
    Fnen90 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

I would say it's r constant trash talk

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,022 Global Posts

Yes that, and the fact that perception of the brand is very negative. If BBRY will succeed, in fact if any hardware manufacture would license the BB10 OS, I don't see them doing so without licensing under a different name. BBRY was trying to be like Apple, i.e. build your own OS, hardware and ecosystem, they just don't have enough muscle for that. Should have stuck with licensing the QNX OS like Microsoft and Google are doing, kept the BlackBerry thing going on a smaller scale (for us faithfuls and the 3rd world) and focused on building a fantastic OS and ecosystem for the Samsungs and others. With other hardware manufacturers onboard, the major devs would fill up QNXWorld with apps and content in no time.
    Death may be the King of terrors... but Jesus is the King of kings!
    Dwight L. Moody
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by aron2 View Post
    So you think if they came out with new phone every year and new os without all these apps that are out today they would make it? I don't think so.
    Wrong.

Apps would have come eventualy anyways.. because BB as a brand was very FAMOUS worldwide. If the Z10 and Q10 (or something similar for that year) were released the same year appl presented their phone.... people would have been mindblowed by it and would have continued being loyal to the brand until today.

Apps is just a number in the equation. The real problem is the marketshare their lost because of aging technology and brand dmg..which is MUCH more difficult to solve than missing Apps.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,158 Global Posts

I agree, that as well as pathetic marketing of the things that their phones do better than he competition.
    Sent from my NEW PASSPORT or a soon to be BB10 PlayBook

- BlackBerry Curve 8530 (Virgin Mobile) - BlackBerry Bold 9900 (T-Mobile) - BlackBerry PlayBook 64 gig - BlackBerry Z10[/B] (T-Mobile) - BlackBerry Z30 WHITE (Unlocked) - Blackberry Passport (Unlocked)
    CrackBerry Abuser

This is what I have never understood.......why doesn't simply go to the companies with no BB10 app and say we will build it, and we will pay you for it. Also the big ones should be baked in, all at BB's cost. What company would say "No, we don't care enough about BB that I don't want their money?" I have to wonder how many apps they could do for $10M?
    FryBerry

Liking the Chen Master
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FryBerry View Post
    This is what I have never understood.......why doesn't simply go to the companies with no BB10 app and say we will build it, and we will pay you for it. Also the big ones should be baked in, all at BB's cost. What company would say "No, we don't care enough about BB that I don't want their money?" I have to wonder how many apps they could do for $10M?
    There is also an issue of providing customer support and updating the app, which becomes expensive relative to the stream of revenues from the app.
    mset, travaz and Laura Knotek like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

I would say marketing isn't their biggest failure. Most people doesn't know BlackBerry 10 even exist.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by FryBerry View Post
    $$$$

and that is precious in the company right now.
    Banned

Global Posts
    628 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by walabe16 View Post
    IMHO the failure has been due to the arrogance of the previous Co-CEOs that refused to innovate BBOS sooner toward what is now BB10. They scoffed at Apple and Android full touch devices, and by the time RIM/BBRY realized what needed to be done their market share had dwindled and the public started to view BlackBerry devices as antiquated and passe. We now live in a virtual duopoly of Android and Apple. I hope they can find the right partner to turn things around in time, but some serious rebranding and marketing will need to be done to alter the public's perception on BBRY.
    you forgot the current CEO that said "there is nothing wrong with the company" after the stock went from triple digit to single digit
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast