Isn't that what you want to do with the hardware program? You're trying to get them to continue with BB10 hardware that they otherwise aren't planning to make. Frankly, the chances of raising that much money is about the same as the chance of being elected to the board of directors.

Perhaps the idea is to create a company that licenses BB10 from BlackBerry and then manufactures the hardware?
    Well if I walked in and made those choices I would drive the company into the ground faster than thorsten did lol

But we can dream that one day they just might make us another BB10 device

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-07-15 10:22 AM
    I think the assumption is that since BlackBerry is a company that is trying to turn itself around, maintaining two OS's is both costly and time consuming. If the Priv (and any other Android BB) do decently, there is really no reason to spend more money on BB10... my thought around using crowd funding would be that they would only need to produce what is demanded and it would reduce the risk and costs associated with the other OS. If consumers can basically fund the R&D prior to them pushing out the new device, they may be more inclined to continue work on BB10. All I'm saying is that they likely won't continue BB10 unless there is interest... but how is there interest if there are no new devices and how are they going to develop new devices or features unless there is interest. It's a never ending circle.

Posted via CB10
    The interest is already there and with the Priv helping to put the BlackBerry brand out there it is likely that the interest in BB10 will grow, slightly (emphasis on slightly). There is obviously a type of user out there who would benefit from, and perhaps even want, an OS such as BB10. Must of us are evident of this and if we are here then how many more of us are out there? 1M? 2M? 5M? You know, it's funny that if a band sells 1M albums, or even of a single song, or an app sees 1M downloads, those are both considered not only good but also really awesome things. Yet selling 1M smartphones is considered utterly and absolutely pathetic. Granted, that is because of the sheer amount of money involved with mobile, but still this dynamic is out of whack with nearly every other consumer product or service on the planet.

With that, a Kickstarter campaign would need to raise $millions just to produce a small batch of phones. What is it, something like $200/phone? So even just a small-batch run of 40K devices would cost something near $8M USD.

There's absolutely no reason why BlackBerry would do this as it would immediately tank sales of BB10 devices - handsets that are still sold as flagships in many markets and for most carriers. So, we wouldn't have any announcement even if the entire BB10 team was reassigned to Android development. You're going to have to read between the lines unless you want to be the last to know what is going to be happening with your smartphone ecosystem.
    The idea that BlackBerry is playing games just to sell off remaining stock is ludicrous. New apps are still coming to BlackBerry World, both the Inside BlackBerry blog and BlackBerry Dev bogs still show interests in BB10 development and use, and on and on (I really do have instances of those "on and on's", don't feel like typing them all out). This is a huge effort just to sell off remaining stock of a platform that most people either think died years ago or are not even aware that it exists today. The numbers of new, non-BlackBerry "people", looking to try out BB10 are extremely small as it is; those most interested in and most likely to pick up a new BB10 handset are the fanboys to begin with and most of us already know the situation at hand. And, any new customer coming into a store to check out a BB10 handset is likely to be steered away by a sales rep, anyways.

So what is the deal here? BlackBerry creating this elaborate scheme just to keep the fanboys on board for another year or two in hopes they will buy a new BB10 handset (or two) within that time? The rest of the world has already made up their minds about BB10 a few years ago.
    12-07-15 10:34 AM
    The idea that BlackBerry is playing games just to sell off remaining stock is ludicrous. -snip-

So what is the deal here? BlackBerry creating this elaborate scheme just to keep the fanboys on board for another year or two in hopes they will buy a new BB10 handset (or two) within that time? The rest of the world has already made up their minds about BB10 a few years ago.
    You're looking at this from a consumer perspective; BB is looking at this from an enterprise perspective. There are businesses that have only recently adopted BB10, and still haven't purchased most of their devices yet, and other large enterprises who still buy significant amount of replacement/upgrade devices, and they're counting on those companies to buy a substantial chunk of their remaining BB10 phones. Fanboys will buy the rest, no matter what BB says.
    12-07-15 10:45 AM

With that, a Kickstarter campaign would need to raise $millions just to produce a small batch of phones. What is it, something like $200/phone? So even just a small-batch run of 40K devices would cost something near $8M USD.
    The Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding project up-thread was for a 40K run for 32M raised. Devices were to cost $695. A $200 BOM is unlikely for any BB crowdfunded device unless its a slab with Passport parts. If they were to sell a current spec device at cost it be in the $300-400 range of the OnePlus device.

A major corp having crowdfunded devices isn't new, Sony did it for the Wena smartwatch, I just don't think this model fits in with BB's enterprise focus.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-07-15 03:22 PM
    What bothers me a bit is that everybody is assuming BlackBerry will not make another BB10 device without the support of BlackBerry claiming it to be true. I would like the horse to come out and actually say it. If your gonna tell me the writing is on the wall I would love to see it cause as far as I am concerned, BlackBerry haven't said sh1t about it being discontinued. I wanna see in words that they said it's over. And reading between the lines just doesn't cut it. Seems like everybody on here has facts without proving it that BlackBerry will not create more devices running BB10 or BB10 is dead, etc. I spit on the theory the same way that girl spits on Graves like the movie.
    BlackBerry has obvious incentives to NOT state that there will be no new BB10 devices, and BlackBerry has NO obvious incentive to state clearly that there will be no new BB10 devices.

BlackBerry's actions w.r.t. BB10, in consideration of the fact that they have a disincentive to declaring "BB10 is dead" is all the information many disappointed BB10 enthusiasts need, even in contradiction of their statement "BB10 is supported". To us, it is very clear what BlackBerry's intentions w.r.t. BB10 are: marginal security or bare-minimum maintenance updates to the OS, and no new devices running BB10. Very simple.

I can also understand why you'd be upset, but why get upset at US, who have simply put two and two together to come up with our own answer "four" without having someone tell us "four". You go ahead and keep waiting... but THE ANSWER WILL STILL BE FOUR!
    JeepBB, Troy Tiscareno and Witmen like this.
    12-07-15 03:30 PM
    If the strong need from the customer and the "billion" dollars really exist don't you think the top spec (at the time) passport will sell like a rock star? If the simple carrier/dealer issue stop people from buying the device then I don't think kick or punch can make the sell "start".
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-09-15 06:23 AM
    For what it is worth, Firefox OS is now officially dead too as Mozilla will no longer develop it. Barring massive blunders from Apple and Google regarding iOS and Android respectively, BlackBerry stands 0 chance in making BlackBerry 10 a success. Microsoft is still struggling though with Windows 10 Mobile with its deep pocket.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-09-15 09:48 AM
    Obviously not, but just an idea to spark interest and show off how big the BB10 consumer community/following really is.

Posted via CB10
    Dude, we already know how big the Blackberry consumer community is. It is relatively small and getting smaller. Perhaps Sony should still make the Walkman. I am sure there is a small segment of the population out there that would find it interesting.

Posted via CB10
    Tien-Lin Chang and JeepBB like this.
    12-10-15 01:26 PM
    How about instead of a phone being kick started, why not a tablet? Re- enter the tablet section, I mean it'd be better to have tablet and phone in IOT right?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 04:05 PM
    How about instead of a phone being kick started, why not a tablet? Re- enter the tablet section, I mean it'd be better to have tablet and phone in IOT right?
    A phone can at least make calls and texts. A tablet is nothing but an app-running device, and BB has no apps. BB might as well set a pallet of cash on fire.
    JeepBB, Witmen and Tien-Lin Chang like this.
    12-19-15 01:43 PM
    A phone can at least make calls and texts. A tablet is nothing but an app-running device, and BB has no apps. BB might as well set a pallet of cash on fire.
    That at least would get the media interested... if they youtube or televise it somehow... (not always a given)

LOL ;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    01-13-16 07:48 PM
    BB10 is in my opinion a lot better than IOS or android or Windows and I speak from experience. I know the company still wants to invest in BB10 devices but the consumer demand is not enough to make money. The CEO did say if the Priv was a failure, there would be no more Blackberry hand sets. Google Play and Apple App Store have over 1.5 million apps and Blackberry World is very limited. In my opinion BB10 failed in the market because it came in too late to become major IPHONES had already been out for 6years when the Z10 and Q10 were released and the original BBOS was already outdated for a operating system. Android is very popular and Blackberry is using that to stay in the hand set business and did say they would continue to support BB10 and if the Priv and future Android Blackberry are popular enough and make the company money we might just get to see another BB10 device.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 08:49 PM
    Joker style

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 03:10 PM
    Blackberry could start a kickstarter campaign but like everything else they would fail to promote it and no one would know it existed. I don't think they could fail harder if they tried.
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    01-14-16 03:22 PM
39 12