Just had an idea... why doesn't BlackBerry fire up a couple Kickstarter campaigns for new BB10 devices? They could market the devices as limited editions that are only available through the campaign and would only then need to manufacture a set amount of devices (reducing overhead costs, risks, etc.). If I'm not mistaken, this is how a few other smaller companies got their devices out there (One Plus and Jolla I think) and it worked pretty well for them.

With so many people saying that BlackBerry will not be making BB10 devices because the demand just isn't there, something like this could spark a bit of a revival and if it grew to a large number, would get some media attention too.

Thoughts? I mean come on, toss up a fully spec'd out BB10 full touch with a cool design and a new full keyboard version and see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 08:24 AM
    Ain't gonna happen.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2474 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    12-05-15 08:42 AM
    Ain't gonna happen.

Obviously not, but just an idea to spark interest and show off how big the BB10 consumer community/following really is.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 08:49 AM
    It worked so well for Jolla that they are bankrupt now

Posted via CB10
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    12-05-15 08:55 AM
    I could consider it depending on the device.

There are a lot of scams on Kickstarter, but I am sure I could trust a company like BlackBerry.

There have also been many successful companies through Kickstarter, as well as failures.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 09:02 AM
    I know this will be met with instant attack but BB10 is not the right path for BlackBerry consumer devices. Its a great OS, as was WebOs for Palm. They were rejected by the mass market place, time to move on.

Consumers have settled in on two ecosystems. Even Microsoft with billions invested can't gain traction with there phone OS.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on Priv
    12-05-15 09:24 AM
    What bothers me a bit is that everybody is assuming BlackBerry will not make another BB10 device without the support of BlackBerry claiming it to be true. I would like the horse to come out and actually say it. If your gonna tell me the writing is on the wall I would love to see it cause as far as I am concerned, BlackBerry haven't said sh1t about it being discontinued. I wanna see in words that they said it's over. And reading between the lines just doesn't cut it. Seems like everybody on here has facts without proving it that BlackBerry will not create more devices running BB10 or BB10 is dead, etc. I spit on the theory the same way that girl spits on Graves like the movie.

Posted via CB10
    crucial bbq and MGDania like this.
    12-05-15 09:55 AM
    What bothers me a bit is that everybody is assuming BlackBerry will not make another BB10 device without the support of BlackBerry claiming it to be true. I would like the horse to come out and actually say it. If your gonna tell me the writing is on the wall I would love to see it cause as far as I am concerned, BlackBerry haven't said sh1t about it being discontinued. I wanna see in words that they said it's over. And reading between the lines just doesn't cut it. Seems like everybody on here has facts without proving it that BlackBerry will not create more devices running BB10 or BB10 is dead, etc. I spit on the theory the same way that girl spits on Graves like the movie.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that it would be good to get some truth from the horses mouth. They keep everything so hush hush up until the last ditch.

They've always been the same.

12-05-15 10:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think the assumption is that since BlackBerry is a company that is trying to turn itself around, maintaining two OS's is both costly and time consuming. If the Priv (and any other Android BB) do decently, there is really no reason to spend more money on BB10... my thought around using crowd funding would be that they would only need to produce what is demanded and it would reduce the risk and costs associated with the other OS. If consumers can basically fund the R&D prior to them pushing out the new device, they may be more inclined to continue work on BB10. All I'm saying is that they likely won't continue BB10 unless there is interest... but how is there interest if there are no new devices and how are they going to develop new devices or features unless there is interest. It's a never ending circle.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 10:24 AM
    What I feel BlackBerry should do is revamp BB10 with the release of 10.3.3, promote it like the way they promoting The Priv. Market it as well and get it out there. You can't know what you never knew and the majority of the consumers out there don't know of BB10. Just yesterday my boss asked me if they still making BlackBerry phones. Smh. It's sad to see BlackBerry treating their own OS like this without even trying to save it but they quick to jump on that Android bots ****. Smh.

Posted via CB10
    Vistaus likes this.
    12-05-15 11:35 AM
    Jolla: extreme financial trouble, crowdfunded Jolla tablet still not shipped to crowdfunding investors and they may lose their money. Probably won't be making phones in the future and become a software only company
    Ubuntu: Ubuntu Edge phone failed in raising 32M in crowdfunding

Making and selling phones is an expensive and perilous business.
    12-05-15 11:48 AM
    Jolla: extreme financial trouble, probably won't be making phones in the future and become a software only company
    Ubuntu: Ubuntu Edge phone failed in raising 32M in crowdfunding

Making and selling phones is an expensive and perilous business.
    Those phones and their campaigns garnered some serious attention. Imagine they had a couple billion in the bank AND got all that attention?

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 11:51 AM
    I wanna see in words that they said it's over. And reading between the lines just doesn't cut it.
    There's absolutely no reason why BlackBerry would do this as it would immediately tank sales of BB10 devices - handsets that are still sold as flagships in many markets and for most carriers. So, we wouldn't have any announcement even if the entire BB10 team was reassigned to Android development. You're going to have to read between the lines unless you want to be the last to know what is going to be happening with your smartphone ecosystem.
    Troy Tiscareno and JeepBB like this.
    12-05-15 12:02 PM
    Those phones and their campaigns garnered some serious attention. Imagine they had a couple billion in the bank AND got all that attention?

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry's cash on hand only serves to show that its not a capital issue. BB just doesn't think the market supports a slab that is differentiated only in the underlying OS.
    12-05-15 12:05 PM
    It just really hurts to see BlackBerry give up (if they really have) on an OS that is, if not, THE BEST OS on the market. Really sad they downgrading to Android. It won't matter to them if I shift to iPhone if they make the move but man it hurts
    The Priv would've been the perfect phone if it ran OS10 but I do understand that you got a bunch of app hungry Android fan boys crying for apps. Heck, CrackBerry aka CrackAndroid is flooded with them. Starting to think us true BB supporters should start marketing BB10 and get it going.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB likes this.
    12-05-15 12:43 PM
    There's absolutely no reason why BlackBerry would do this as it would immediately tank sales of BB10 devices - handsets that are still sold as flagships in many markets and for most carriers. So, we wouldn't have any announcement even if the entire BB10 team was reassigned to Android development. You're going to have to read between the lines unless you want to be the last to know what is going to be happening with your smartphone ecosystem.
    Yep.

Everything that needs to be known can be gleaned from current actions.

It would be stupid for BBRY to formally end BB10 right now.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-05-15 12:50 PM
    My opinion is they will Market BB10 heavily to business customers and the Android devices will be marketed to consumers. BB10 has much value In the business world, just don't see the average consumer purchasing them in large numbers.

Just my opinion, could be totally wrong.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on Priv
    12-05-15 05:33 PM
    It just really hurts to see BlackBerry give up (if they really have) on an OS that is, if not, THE BEST OS on the market. Really sad they downgrading to Android. It won't matter to them if I shift to iPhone if they make the move but man it hurts
    The Priv would've been the perfect phone if it ran OS10 but I do understand that you got a bunch of app hungry Android fan boys crying for apps. Heck, CrackBerry aka CrackAndroid is flooded with them. Starting to think us true BB supporters should start marketing BB10 and get it going.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this. CrackBerry right now is a painful place for BB10 fans. Like most of the other BlackBerry Blogs it is flooded with Android fans who are making jokes about BB10. And the articles are about the PRIV and FINALLY all the apps bla bla bla.

I think, BlackBerry COULD make a B10 Priv with minimal effort. The Priv hardware is there anyway. The OS is ready to go, the ecosystem is (still) there, the support for BB10 continues for exisiting devices, and so on. The costs for the hardware drivers are too expensive? Come on.
    The only reason I can imagine, why there is no new BB10 device on the horizon is, that they WANT to fade it away.
    If I'm wrong and they don't WANT it, then the current uncertain situation will do it for them. So there is no way out.
    12-07-15 04:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    The writing on the wall you are looking for is the fact that they haven't done anything other than bug fixes in about a year and a half. 10.3.X was released, in beta, in March 2014.

Add to that that the Android Runtime is forever stuck at Jellybean, and almost all BB10 developers have been laid off...

Am I a "app hungry Android Fanboy" because I NEED Microsoft Office 365, or my company's bank app? Would I be an Android Fanboy if my company required any of the many MDM solutions that do not support BB10 (like Good, MobileIron, Airwatch, Citrix)? I have about 80 apps on my Priv, and only 2 card games are among them.
    bp2k7 likes this.
    12-07-15 05:10 AM
    I agree with this. CrackBerry right now is a painful place for BB10 fans. Like most of the other BlackBerry Blogs it is flooded with Android fans who are making jokes about BB10. And the articles are about the PRIV and FINALLY all the apps bla bla bla.

I think, BlackBerry COULD make a B10 Priv with minimal effort. The Priv hardware is there anyway. The OS is ready to go, the ecosystem is (still) there, the support for BB10 continues for exisiting devices, and so on. The costs for the hardware drivers are too expensive? Come on.
    The only reason I can imagine, why there is no new BB10 device on the horizon is, that they WANT to fade it away.
    If I'm wrong and they don't WANT it, then the current uncertain situation will do it for them. So there is no way out.
    Or, it could be simply that the product isn't competitive, so BBRY is forced to move on?
    12-07-15 05:54 AM
    Kickstarter campaign... how about invest in BBRY stock instead?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-07-15 08:28 AM
    Kickstarter campaign... how about invest in BBRY stock instead?
    Actually, if you get people to buy enough shares then you can probably get elected to the board and will really be in a position to influence what the company does.
    12-07-15 08:42 AM
    Actually, if you get people to buy enough shares then you can probably get elected to the board and will really be in a position to influence what the company does.
    Sounds good, I can tell them board members a thing or two about how to manage a multi billion dollar international corporation... ha

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-07-15 08:46 AM
    Can you imagine the message you deliver to BB10 customers, corporate clients, governments and etc? Like "yeah, we are now down to be a Kickstart funded project...we want to be cool"

In this case, unfortunately, not an option, not a solution at all. Not for BlackBerry, not for BB10....

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 09:09 AM
    Sounds good, I can tell them board members a thing or two about how to manage a multi billion dollar international corporation... ha
    Isn't that what you want to do with the hardware program? You're trying to get them to continue with BB10 hardware that they otherwise aren't planning to make. Frankly, the chances of raising that much money is about the same as the chance of being elected to the board of directors.

Perhaps the idea is to create a company that licenses BB10 from BlackBerry and then manufactures the hardware?
    12-07-15 09:17 AM
39 12