Sure, but accessories are only profitable if sold by the hundreds of thousands. That you and a few dozen people here at CB might buy a BB-branded Miracast device (almost certainly for a much higher price than existing ones) doesn't make it a viable market.
    I think that they could sale enough TV interface devices as long as it were priced appropriately. It would be a FIPS approved DLNA (for Z10) and Miracast adapter giving it possibly a wider audience than a pure consumer play. Think of meeting room interface to the TV. Also if they would add a camera input and allow it to have BBM then you have a FIPS approved VTC to people in field with BBM, again for a low price. Have a Skype capability to your TV for consumers.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 05:57 PM
    I think that they could sale enough TV interface devices as long as it were priced appropriately.
    BB doesn't do its own manufacturing (it's all contracted out), and with low volume runs, there's no way they could price a Miracast device competitively. When was the last time you bought a BB item (that wasn't on a fire sale after a write-down) and said "wow, that's a GREAT price!" BB isn't known for their competitive pricing.

It would be a FIPS approved DLNA (for Z10) and Miracast adapter giving it possibly a wider audience than a pure consumer play. Think of meeting room interface to the TV. Also if they would add a camera input and allow it to have BBM then you have a FIPS approved VTC to people in field with BBM, again for a low price. Have a Skype capability to your TV for consumers.
    Without Miracast capability, you'd have to build all of that extra functionality (DNLA, Skype, etc.) into the device, making it much more complicated and expensive, and further narrowing the market it addressed. The point of using open standards is so that BB doesn't have to make their own, expensive accessories at a loss. Again, there are already devices that do what you want on the market, so it's not like BB would be bringing something new and unheard of to the table, so without competitive pricing, what's the point?

It's not like BB has either extra money or extra people sitting around doing nothing that they can throw on this project either. If anything, BB needs to FOCUS on executing the products they already have better, and not get distracted with things that aren't their core business.
    Last edited by Troy Tiscareno; 12-10-13 at 01:49 PM.
    12-09-13 09:24 PM
    True but I would still buy a BlackBerry branded one, and accessories usually have a high gm so it's a way to increase revenue

Posted via CB10
    My idea for z30 was to ship it with a BlackBerry branded miracast hdmi dongle. To a small degree, BlackBerry could have an opportunity to associate miracast with Blackberry, since there are so many people that have not heard or experienced miracast. So many "dumb" TV's, so much untapped potential. This could also help to bring a little "cool factor" to the brand. Not to mention another reason to buy z30.

Heck, sell a web cam that connects to the dongle, BBM video chat from tv, get creative.

Make BB10 a truly customizable OS.

So many opportunities to differentiate, many smart folks in Waterloo. I'm sure they have a lot of ideas too, must be frustrating being an engineer there, having the innovation funnel mucked up.
    Last edited by techvisor; 12-09-13 at 10:02 PM.
    milo53 and lnichols like this.
    12-09-13 09:46 PM
    BB doesn't do its own manufacturing (it's all contracted out), and with low volume runs, there's no way they could price a Miracast device competitively. When was the last time you bought a BB item (that wasn't on a fire sale after a write-down) and said "wow, that's a GREAT price!" BB isn't known for their competitive pricing.
    It would be a FIPS approved DLNA (for Z10) and Miracast adapter giving it possibly a wider audience than a pure consumer play. Think of meeting room interface to the TV. Also if they would add a camera input and allow it to have BBM then you have a FIPS approved VTC to people in field with BBM, again for a low price. Have a Skype capability to your TV for consumers.[/QUOTE]

Without Miracast capability, you'd have to build all of that extra functionality (DNLA, Skype, etc.) into the device, making it much more complicated and expensive, and further narrowing the market it addressed. The point of using open standards is so that BB doesn't have to make their own, expensive accessories at a loss. Again, there are already devices that do what you want on the market, so it's not like BB would be bringing something new and unheard of to the table, so without competitive pricing, what's the point?

It's not like BB has either extra money or extra people sitting around doing nothing that they can throw on this project either. If anything, BB needs to FOCUS on executing the products they already have better, and not get distracted with things that aren't their core business.[/QUOTE]

First off it would be like an Apple TV device and basically be phone guts running Bb10 with HDMI out, Ethernet, and USB and without the cellular radio. Just repackaging it like Apple does with the parts in the Apple TV. It would run BB10 so it would support DLNA, WiFi Direct, and Miracast as part of the OS. Skype and other apps would come from Bb10 app catalog. The differentiator is that it would be instantly FIPS approved and could be used in government and business facilities that value that certification. BlackBerry consumers would likely buy it too. They actually have money, and have had it, and should be doing more with it than just sitting on it. This wouldn't be an expensive venture as companies like Roku can put out things pretty easy. BlackBerry needs to move beyond phones with BB10. Not doing anything with it and hoarding cash will do nothing but prolong the death.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 08:49 AM
    There is a market for quality accessories. Many ppl I know still to this day use a blackberry PlayBook charger because of how well it works. I must have 3-4 music stereo gateways around the house that always get used during parties for ppl that want to play their new music off their device. Their car chargers were also pretty solid. Even their PlayBook keyboard is amazing! I think they could push out a product and market it as a "blackberry hdmi video gateway" lol or call it something to that effect, actually I was hoping this is what their BlackBerry presenter would do but to me that was a flop. Price it at 79$-99$ and allow it to have wifi direct/dlna/miracast/ heck even let it connect to apple!

I'm sure there is inventory of the BlackBerry presenter thing sitting around, maybe they can just refresh those? Turn on nfc and tap to connect like the stereo gateway.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 10:17 AM
30 12