98% is very subjective, so he was safe to say so.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 04:54 PM
    There can be more than one Android version. If they've made it available on the Amazon store, for instance, it can't depend on Google Play Services either.

Bear in mind that there have been tens of millions of Android phones sold that aren't compatible with Google Play Services.
    True, but almost all of them were sold into China or North Korea, where Google services are mostly blocked by the government anyway. Not all that many were sold to other markets, and those that were had a lot of trouble competing with Google-certified phones in the same price range, which is why there have been fewer and fewer non-certified phones sold as time has gone on.

Being Google-certified and having access to the Play Store is a HUGE selling point for a phone, and when the competition has that and your phone doesn't, you're in big trouble.
    JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    05-29-14 06:29 PM
    I've been.unabke to get so many apps running. They always come up with the Google Play error,.and sometimes you can get around it, but my success rate at that is far less than 98%

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    05-29-14 06:33 PM
    You know 87% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 06:46 PM
    I've been.unabke to get so many apps running. They always come up with the Google Play error,.and sometimes you can get around it, but my success rate at that is far less than 98%

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    Use case scenarios will always vary, and quite widely. Remember, 2% still adds up to more than 20,000 apps that don't work.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 06:54 PM
    I personally do not like Google, but blackberry world does not have certain apps that I need.

I'm a blackberry fan since my first phone and will be waiting for the day that developers bring back apps made for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 12:09 PM
    True, but almost all of them were sold into China or North Korea, where Google services are mostly blocked by the government anyway. Not all that many were sold to other markets, and those that were had a lot of trouble competing with Google-certified phones in the same price range, which is why there have been fewer and fewer non-certified phones sold as time has gone on.

Being Google-certified and having access to the Play Store is a HUGE selling point for a phone, and when the competition has that and your phone doesn't, you're in big trouble.
    Kindle Fire doesn't have access to GPlay, and neither does Firefox OS or Tizen. Or Nokia X for that matter.

I get that GPlay access would be cool, but it may not be strictly necessary. Others are managing without.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    06-02-14 01:58 PM
    Kindle Fire doesn't have access to GPlay, and neither does Firefox OS or Tizen. Or Nokia X for that matter.

I get that GPlay access would be cool, but it may not be strictly necessary. Others are managing without.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    Tizen isn't Android, and neither is Firefox OS.

Amazon has their own App Store and their devices are sold as a gateway to their content services. That's different. They also currently have no phones at all so it isn't even comparable. Currently Amazon targets phones via a Verizon deal to preload their ecosystem on Androis devices.

Same for Nokia X, which is niche at best and is only there to serve as a migratory tool to get users from low we Androis devices to Windows phone. For those users, the basics are all that matter cause those devices can't run a lot of the apps we take for granted decently.

No one is selling high end or mid range phones in markets like the USA or Canada and competing well against Samsung and other major OEMs. Even the Cyanogen phones got certified.

Phones that ship in China without Play still do ship with an ecosystem preloaded on them. The lack of one non the phone would kill them even there as it would make the device too hard or frustrating to use for too many people.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    JeepBB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    06-09-14 01:39 PM
33 12