BlackBerry was a unique system with BBM a favoured communication platform. OS10 should have been the natural successor to BBOS7 to supersede that successful platform but BlackBerry didn't promote it. It is undoubtedly the best mobile OS but if you don't market it nobody knows or cares. Android for BlackBerry is a non starter. Who will pay a ridiculous price for a Priv just cos it's BlackBerry when you can buy a similarly or better spec Moto 3G or Wiley fox for 20% of the price? I won't so if BlackBerry want me to upgrade from my Z30 to a blackberry handset on an inferior Android system they need to convince me with both reason and price. At this moment I will definitely not go Priv and Android

Posted via CB10
    acovey and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    04-09-16 02:29 PM
    Agree with you... I have the Priv, switched several times and end up all the time with my Passport SE.
    Yes, Android has a much better application ecosystem, but honestly I don't miss any app on my Passport.
    The only thing that is better on the Priv is it's camera.

Posted via Passport running BlackBerry OS10
    acovey likes this.
    04-09-16 02:38 PM
    Curious what you consider makes it the best mobile is? I'm not trying to instigate anything just wondering.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    andy957 likes this.
    04-09-16 04:11 PM
    BlackBerry will be fine without its handsets. I've been trialling WatchDox, and only yesterday had a demo of AtHoc. Their crisis communications solutions are market leading alone, let alone secure file storage and transit. Mobile phones just isn't BlackBerry anymore, even if they did come from pagers to mobiles. It's now evolved further and the future is something else again, and even what BlackBerry is NOW will change.

There's a bizarre focus on BlackBerry as if it's still a phone company here on CrackBerry, and a total lack of understanding as to what BlackBerry actually is these days. That's a shame, because it's something unique and something to be excited about, more now than ever in its history.

Posted via CB10
    tufcustomer, web99, Uzi and 4 others like this.
    04-09-16 04:40 PM
    BlackBerry will be fine without its handsets. I've been trialling WatchDox, and only yesterday had a demo of AtHoc. Their crisis communications solutions are market leading alone, let alone secure file storage and transit. Mobile phones just isn't BlackBerry anymore, even if they did come from pagers to mobiles. It's now evolved further and the future is something else again, and even what BlackBerry is NOW will change.

There's a bizarre focus on BlackBerry as if it's still a phone company here on CrackBerry, and a total lack of understanding as to what BlackBerry actually is these days. That's a shame, because it's something unique and something to be excited about, more now than ever in its history.

Posted via CB10
    Amen!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 05:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    And no matter how many times BlackBerry itself tries to hammer that point home, folks STILL think that phones are its top priority.

Don't get me wrong- I think phones are interesting and I'm also guilty of hoping BlackBerry makes phones forever, but at the same time I understand where they are and why their focus has changed.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    andy957 and web99 like this.
    04-09-16 05:27 PM
    And no matter how many times BlackBerry itself tries to hammer that point home, folks STILL think that phones are its top priority.
    That's simply human nature at work.

Most of the people here on CB are here because they like, or liked, BB phones. Most have very little interest in the sort of enterprise-focused software company that BB is trying to become. They STILL think that phones SHOULD be BB's top priority... because phones remain their personal top priority.

People don't like change.
    04-10-16 02:55 AM
    Technically, if RIM had not changed their name to BlackBerry.... BlackBerry would have been finished.

And who knows... maybe another name change might be in order for the new Software and Services focused company. A name that doesn't carry the negativity that unfortunately the name BlackBerry has earned over the last few years.

OP I do agree that so far, BlackBerry has failed to differentiate themselves from the rest of Android. Possible they just need more time, and possible the Marshmallow update will bring that. If they pull that off, it�s possible that Chen might streamline hardware and move to more of a BlackPhone type hardware division � high margins, direct to the enterprise customer sales. The BlackBerry name might not be well known, but it might live on.... But I personally think that is a very long shot at best at this point. Simply becuase Chen and thus BlackBerry are not willing to commit to hardware, thus how can anyone else?
    dusanvn likes this.
    04-11-16 11:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    That my be true and all but the only reason they are getting out of the hardware business is they got their a$$'s handed to them. It's not their first choice. Blackberry is running away with it's tail between its legs because it can't compete.
    04-11-16 12:32 PM
    That my be true and all but the only reason they are getting out of the hardware business is they got their a$$'s handed to them. It's not their first choice. Blackberry is running away with it's tail between its legs because it can't compete.
    There is no shame in admitting when something is not working. BlackBerry is diversifying, which is the prudent thing to do. It makes sense for a company to seek other revenue streams if their main revenue source is declining.

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    04-11-16 01:08 PM
    I have predicted that the priv will die sooner than bb10. Looks like its happening.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    dusanvn likes this.
    04-12-16 01:17 AM
    BB10 is here to stay. The hardware business on the other hand is living on borrowed time. BB10 still remains the most secure OS that BlackBerry can deal with in there software business. It will remain valuable in the enterprise sector.

BB10 or Nothing! BlackBerry Forever!
    rubyslipperss and acovey like this.
    04-12-16 10:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    This would make for a great article here on CrackBerry.

That said, people are disappointed because BlackBerry offers a clearly unique handset experience that is in many ways inimitable. With BlackBerry gone from the consumer market, what will be done with their hardware patents? How will governments react? iOS is the new secure OS?

Posted via CB10
    04-13-16 08:24 AM
    BB10 is here to stay. The hardware business on the other hand is living on borrowed time. BB10 still remains the most secure OS that BlackBerry can deal with in there software business. It will remain valuable in the enterprise sector.

What happens when BB runs out of stock on the handsets? Then BB10 dies as the handsets start to wear out or the browser stops working.
    04-13-16 06:54 PM
    BlackBerry does so much more than make phones. They'll be fine.
    04-13-16 07:05 PM
    BlackBerry does so much more than make phones. They'll be fine.
    Yeah, they use excess cash to buy smaller companies. That's not a real business.
    04-15-16 03:15 AM
    What happens when BB runs out of stock on the handsets? Then BB10 dies as the handsets start to wear out or the browser stops working.
    BB10 still has growth potential that the current management at BlackBerry ifs failing to turn to their advantage . In the right hands BlackBerry will make huge profits with BB10, but I fear the current leadership at BlackBerry doesn't seem to realise that

acovey likes this.
    04-19-16 07:54 AM
    Down below
    04-19-16 08:18 AM
    If BlackBerry Corporation will be fine without BlackBerry devices :
    the question remains why do the majority of the Crackberry Community come to this forum. Is it that we're rooting for BlackBerry Corporate non-device success? Or is it that , we're BlackBerry Device users.
    My investment is in my BlackBerry device, so devices matter to me overall.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    04-19-16 08:22 AM
    BB10 still has growth potential that the current management at BlackBerry ifs failing to turn to their advantage . In the right hands BlackBerry will make huge profits with BB10, but I fear the current leadership at BlackBerry doesn't seem to realise that

Based on WHAT?

What current leadership is aware of is the FACT that BB10 device sales were plummeting, evey after the release of the Passport, and the Enterprise focused Classic and Leap.

What current leadership is aware of is the cost of BB10 specific drivers for hardware.

What current leadership is aware of is the cost of continued in house development for BB10.

What current leadership is aware of is the importance of the availability of APPS for mobile devices. FireFox has learned this, Microsoft has learned this, SailFish has learned this, even Tizen is learning this.... all right along with BlackBerry.
    JeepBB, TGR1 and HighFlight88 like this.
    04-19-16 08:36 AM
    Yeah, they use excess cash to buy smaller companies. That's not a real business.
    Are IBM and CA and JPMC not real businesses then? There are a lot of companies in a lot of industries that tie together smaller companies where they believe there are synergies and growth potential when taken as a whole. How are these not real businesses?
    04-19-16 09:24 AM
    Based on WHAT?

What current leadership is aware of is the FACT that BB10 device sales were plummeting, evey after the release of the Passport, and the Enterprise focused Classic and Leap.

What current leadership is aware of is the cost of BB10 specific drivers for hardware.

What current leadership is aware of is the cost of continued in house development for BB10.

What current leadership is aware of is the importance of the availability of APPS for mobile devices. FireFox has learned this, Microsoft has learned this, SailFish has learned this, even Tizen is learning this.... all right along with BlackBerry.
    Sales are plummeting because Chen and his crew are clueless on what has to be done to turn this company around. BB10 is a relatively new OS and has a lot of room for development. The problems bewildering it now can be easily solved if management focuses on the right things. The 'app gap' will be closed once they get sales figures up. Focus has to be on raising sales figures. Apps are made by third parties and BlackBerry doesn't have influence over that. They need to work on things they have influence over like marketing, the OS, hardware and pricing. BlackBerry needs to limit the number of devices the produce to a limited number. Work of perfecting them and sales will increase. Developers will come on board once they see sales increasing.

gugomat likes this.
    04-19-16 11:08 AM
    Sales are plummeting because Chen and his crew are clueless on what has to be done to turn this company around. BB10 is a relatively new OS and has a lot of room for development. The problems bewildering it now can be easily solved if management focuses on the right things. The 'app gap' will be closed once they get sales figures up. Focus has to be on raising sales figures. Apps are made by third parties and BlackBerry doesn't have influence over that. They need to work on things they have influence over like marketing, the OS, hardware and pricing. BlackBerry needs to limit the number of devices the produce to a limited number. Work of perfecting them and sales will increase. Developers will come on board once they see sales increasing.

Here is the problem with your assumption. The time for a new operating system such as BB10 to be introduced and have any meaningful effect was between 2007 and 2010 when ecosystems in the dominant platforms such as ios and Android were in their infancy. In 2013 when it was finally introduced it was too late. Ios and Android, their ecosystems and developer base were already firmly established.

Whether you like it or not, having the right apps and ecosystem has a direct effect on consumer sales. Not having the right apps available was the number one reason for the high rate Z10 returns.

The other problem is that in order to get developer attention, BlackBerry needs to regain marketshare to at least between 10% and 15%. Producing a limited amount of devices, as you have advocated, will not achieve that.

Also with a limited amount of devices produced, production costs increase per unit, so they will have to be sold at a higher price to recoup costs, which then impacts sales.

CEO Chen came into an impossible situation where devices were concerned. At the end of 2013 when he arrived, the damage was already done.

Last edited by web99; 04-20-16 at 04:20 AM.
    04-20-16 04:07 AM
    It is if they are key to growing BlackBerry's other revenue streams in the software and security divisions. In the last year alone, it's software revenue has increased by 104%. The acquisition of those companies helped BlackBerry achieve their goal of $550 million in software services revenue without impacting their cash flow.

JeepBB and Ronindan like this.
    04-20-16 04:18 AM
    Here is the problem with your assumption. The time for a new operating system such as BB10 to be introduced and have any meaningful effect was between 2007 and 2010 when ecosystems in the dominant platforms such as ios and Android were in their infancy. In 2013 when it was finally introduced it was too late. Ios and Android, their ecosystems and developer base were already firmly established.

Whether you like it or not, having the right apps and ecosystem has a direct effect on consumer sales. Not having the right apps available was the number one reason for the high rate Z10 returns.

The other problem is that in order to get developer attention, BlackBerry needs to regain marketshare to at least between 10% and 15%. Producing a limited amount of devices, as you have advocated, will not achieve that.

Also with a limited amount of devices produced, production costs increase per unit, so they will have to be sold at a higher price to recoup costs, which then impacts sales.

CEO Chen came into an impossible situation where devices were concerned. At the end of 2013 when he arrived, the damage was already done.

When I said limited I did not mean in the absolute numbers of the units but rather in the variations of them. They should make a maximum of 5-6 devices with one of them being a tablet and the others either pkb or touch targeting high end and midrange markets.

BlackBerry failed not because they produced a product without a market but I rather think the divisions brought about by having 2 CEOs in the beginning is what made them fail. Their strategies have been very much inconsistent.

BlackBerry still has a opportunity to redeem itself but I don't see it happening with the current leadership.

04-20-16 07:26 AM
164 123 ...