We see that BBM goes to Android and iOS recently. Surely it's getting traction from other platforms.

Any idea to, what's next?

I have an idea: BB10 goes to OEM smartphone makers to be licensed.

Any other ideas to help BlackBerry survive and back to glory?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 03:06 AM
    We see that BBM goes to Android and iOS recently. Surely it's getting traction from other platforms.

Any idea to, what's next?

I have an idea: BB10 goes to OEM smartphone makers to be licensed.

Any other ideas to help BlackBerry survive and back to glory?

Posted via CB10
    Hi!!! Welcome to CB!!!!

I honestly think that the best option for BlackBerry to remain as we know it and not simply a services provider would be to be bought out by a smartphone company that would use its strengths in enterprise. Not just BB10, get into a partnership where the buying company puts some discipline in their development and execution processes to continue to develop phones, even if simply for enterprise. That would be my wish. I don't see BlackBerry in the consumer market anymore.

We will see. Only a few days until November.
    10-25-13 05:09 AM
    Hi!!! Welcome to CB!!!!

I honestly think that the best option for BlackBerry to remain as we know it and not simply a services provider would be to be bought out by a smartphone company that would use its strengths in enterprise. Not just BB10, get into a partnership where the buying company puts some discipline in their development and execution processes to continue to develop phones, even if simply for enterprise. That would be my wish. I don't see BlackBerry in the consumer market anymore.

We will see. Only a few days until November.
    An interesting idea, held by more than a few.

For me this conjured nostalgia for the days when BlackBerry was only an enterprise company, before BIS was available. Arguably their climb to popularity as a consumer device was sparked by the mystique of being a rare accessory of the powerful. There are many lessons in that history, first among them what that power user said to BlackBerry that spurred development of BB10. That power user wants BlackBerry quality communications and business applications, but don't want to be excluded from the social and gaming side of smartphone use. Nor do they want to carry multiple phones to stay connected to business on one, and their social circle on another.

I think it is remarkable how far BlackBerry has come on the path to satisfying this "prosumer" niche. Much further yet to go but they have made a good start.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 07:40 AM
    Hi,

My own definition of PRO-CONSUMER = Higher than your average consumers that won't just blindly follow the market trend. Looking for a device or services that fulfill his or her needs in a effective and efficient manner.

The idea of BlackBerry just focuses in PRO-CONSUMER is just pure crazy but for now, would be best for BlackBerry to refocus their target market in that particular segment since they are not doing that good previously.

Personally, I would like to see BlackBerry able to produce 4 devices (2 high ends and low ends devices... please don't waste time in the middle.... it's just too many mistakes made based on past records).

Providing just a software based solutions would just be insufficient in today's market. Anyway to cut it short, if BlackBerry insists in building or thriving in the PRO-CONSUMER market, at least produce a Z40 or 50 or Q60 or 70 that are durable and stylish in a professional sense where PRO-CONSUMERS would like. Again, there might be debate on the level of hardware/specification that BlackBerry would used, but it is ALRIGHT.

Put it this way, in the PC industry, we can see two categories; 1. Consumer & 2. Business. For instance, Dell you will have the XPS One Series or Alienware Series for hardcore gamers, then on the other side, you will have the Precision or Latitude series. So, I just hope BlackBerry could just focus their efforts in building the right type of smartphones that would greatly attract PRO-CONSUMERS.

Sorry in advance for any grammatical error for the above text. Again, it is just a personal opinion.

Thank you.
    10-25-13 08:09 AM
    Thanks guys for your comment. To drastically pull out of the hardware business maybe not an option now since BB10 does not require BIS anymore. So somewhat revenue should come from hardware.

In relating with smartphone industry, basically, the only solution is to foster wide BB10 implementation. How? In my mind only through OS licensing. But hold down I suggest that it should exclude except the qwerty devices.

Let's see the options:

1. BB10 prosumer or a normal BB10 OS is install in BB native devices as the way we see it now. Price range from $200 to max $600 except for Porsche Design line up. BlackBerry should really consider aesthetic metallic design option ala Apple or the HTC one. At least provide option for the outer casing such as the iPhone 5S

2. BB10 Consumer or Style is a BB10 OS with less security inherent feature is install on a licensed touch screen only devices (made by major OEM such as Sony, Lenovo, LG, HTC or others). No BB Protect, No BES, No BB Balance. Maybe the OS called BB10X. Price range: up to them

3. BB10 prosumer might also licensed to selected OEM but with more expensive licensing fee.? Price range: up to them

?With the above strategy, BlackBerry is accelerating BB10 implementation while reducing risk of unsold hardware yet keep the qwerty hardware market.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 08:29 AM
    The touch screen keyboard. I love it on my Z10 and my wife hates the one on her Galaxy S4. I think it might do well on other platforms.
    10-25-13 08:37 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/armchai...y-sale-861603/

Some of the mods have posted their ideas here as well. Licensing is definitely one of the things we touched on

It is an idea that has been floated for some time, and alot of different people have differing views. It would definitely help adoption to have other vendors involved and other device choices. At least IMO
    10-25-13 08:43 AM
    They can't be satisfied just launching BBMx, they need to work quickly to bring the iOS and Android versions to feature parity with the BlackBerry version, to avoid the inevitable "coming soon" jokes. They can't sit back on it, as their competition in the IM space have noticed, and will be working hard to up their game. Also they'll need to bring it to Windows Phone sooner rather than later. Advertising wouldn't hurt either, get the word out, tell people why they want it. It's unusual to spend money to advertise a free IM service, but this sort of out of the box thinking is what they need in the battle to stay relevant.
    Last edited by BlackBerry Guy; 10-25-13 at 09:06 AM.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    10-25-13 08:55 AM
    Position BBM as the most popular social messaging app, and use it to rebuild the brands reputation.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    10-25-13 10:17 AM
    Sell Z30 like hell, get back into corporate, bulk sell BES. Recoup corporate and government market. Fire incompetent managers.

Jakarta, Indonesia
    10-25-13 10:33 AM
    Hi,

My own definition of PRO-CONSUMER = Higher than your average consumers that won't just blindly follow the market trend. Looking for a device or services that fulfill his or her needs in a effective and efficient manner.

The idea of BlackBerry just focuses in PRO-CONSUMER is just pure crazy but for now, would be best for BlackBerry to refocus their target market in that particular segment since they are not doing that good previously.

Personally, I would like to see BlackBerry able to produce 4 devices (2 high ends and low ends devices... please don't waste time in the middle.... it's just too many mistakes made based on past records).

Providing just a software based solutions would just be insufficient in today's market. Anyway to cut it short, if BlackBerry insists in building or thriving in the PRO-CONSUMER market, at least produce a Z40 or 50 or Q60 or 70 that are durable and stylish in a professional sense where PRO-CONSUMERS would like. Again, there might be debate on the level of hardware/specification that BlackBerry would used, but it is ALRIGHT.

Put it this way, in the PC industry, we can see two categories; 1. Consumer & 2. Business. For instance, Dell you will have the XPS One Series or Alienware Series for hardcore gamers, then on the other side, you will have the Precision or Latitude series. So, I just hope BlackBerry could just focus their efforts in building the right type of smartphones that would greatly attract PRO-CONSUMERS.

Sorry in advance for any grammatical error for the above text. Again, it is just a personal opinion.

Thank you.
    What do you mean by "fulfill his or her needs in a effective and efficient manner"? That seems too ambiguous of a definition and, honestly, one that is too convenient for BlackBerry since it doesn't suggest that any changes to the OS and hardware are necessary. BlackBerry needs a more targeted focus, more specificity in what solutions they build (and don't build), and more differentiation from competitors.

BlackBerry also has the tough task of convincing its target audience that they actually are "prosumers" instead of consumers while building desirable products that reinforce this message and that truly meet this audience's needs. The PC analogy doesn't map well because both an XPS and Latitude run Windows and can be used for work and for play. We have BYOD at my company and there are users with XPS and Alienware systems. If gaming is a priority, then one of those is likely a better option. But even if gaming is not a priority, games certainly can be played on a Latitude.

That's the challenge BlackBerry faces: even if apps are not a priority, users still want the ability to use them.
    10-26-13 07:05 AM
    What do you mean by "fulfill his or her needs in a effective and efficient manner"? That seems too ambiguous of a definition and, honestly, one that is too convenient for BlackBerry since it doesn't suggest that any changes to the OS and hardware are necessary. BlackBerry needs a more targeted focus, more specificity in what solutions they build (and don't build), and more differentiation from competitors.

BlackBerry also has the tough task of convincing its target audience that they actually are "prosumers" instead of consumers while building desirable products that reinforce this message and that truly meet this audience's needs. The PC analogy doesn't map well because both an XPS and Latitude run Windows and can be used for work and for play. We have BYOD at my company and there are users with XPS and Alienware systems. If gaming is a priority, then one of those is likely a better option. But even if gaming is not a priority, games certainly can be played on a Latitude.

That's the challenge BlackBerry faces: even if apps are not a priority, users still want the ability to use them.
    Hi,

Sorry for the ambiguity ya. Kind of half drunk and pissed when I wrote this. Well as I said before, it is just based on my personal opinion where I think BlackBerry should not abandon the idea of making it's own hardware where just by providing software solutions to end users are too blend..... Maybe I should put it this way, for example, Lenovo has it's ThinkCentre series where it focuses on high quality hardware build with features like drop proof, or water spill resistant and lightweight with long battery life, but in the same time making professionally good looking with sufficient hardware specs for mild gaming enjoyment.

So if BlackBerry wants to focus its effort in PRO-CONSUMER, I think they should go along that line, where the hardware design looks professional sleek looking with sufficient hardware specs to support daily tasks (work related) and some mild entertainment. But of course there will forever be the debate of insufficient apps or games in BlackBerry World.... it's a work in progress... Can't really complain anything about there where it is a fact they are "abit" slow....

So in conclusion, what I am trying to say here is.. I just hope BlackBerry don't pull the plug on making their own hardware but of course of IF....Z30 and 10.2 were the Z10 with it's 10.0 or 10.1 initially... the whole situation might be different now.... Again, it's just a personal opinion ya~~~

Cheers!!~~
    10-26-13 11:05 AM
    Hi,

Sorry for the ambiguity ya. Kind of half drunk and pissed when I wrote this. Well as I said before, it is just based on my personal opinion where I think BlackBerry should not abandon the idea of making it's own hardware where just by providing software solutions to end users are too blend..... Maybe I should put it this way, for example, Lenovo has it's ThinkCentre series where it focuses on high quality hardware build with features like drop proof, or water spill resistant and lightweight with long battery life, but in the same time making professionally good looking with sufficient hardware specs for mild gaming enjoyment.

So if BlackBerry wants to focus its effort in PRO-CONSUMER, I think they should go along that line, where the hardware design looks professional sleek looking with sufficient hardware specs to support daily tasks (work related) and some mild entertainment. But of course there will forever be the debate of insufficient apps or games in BlackBerry World.... it's a work in progress... Can't really complain anything about there where it is a fact they are "abit" slow....

So in conclusion, what I am trying to say here is.. I just hope BlackBerry don't pull the plug on making their own hardware but of course of IF....Z30 and 10.2 were the Z10 with it's 10.0 or 10.1 initially... the whole situation might be different now.... Again, it's just a personal opinion ya~~~

Cheers!!~~
    Lol, no worries on the post/ambiguity. I, too, hope BBRY doesn't pull the plug on hardware development as I really like their hardware. When you look at the 9900, the overall build quality and little details like the placement of the mic, convenience keys, curved keyboard layout, etc. made the device feel very refined. I like the look and feel of the Z10, but I think BBRY didn't focus as much on the little things with its initial BB10 devices (haven't experienced the Z30 yet).

I'm a ThinkPad and Z10 BYOD user in an enterprise full of Macs and iPhones. And my company does not have BES 10. So, given that and my priorities, I'd like to think I fit the prosumer example pretty well. Regardless of the "app gap," there's plenty of room for BBRY to cater to users like me. And while I might be a niche in my company and in the market overall, I don't mind paying a little more for something that better meets my needs.

Not saying they aren't doing this, but as BBRY defines the prosumer market, maybe they should talk to users like you and me...?
    John Ho likes this.
    10-27-13 01:57 PM
    It was only BBM that was keeping BlackBerry alive in this competitive scenario, now since it is also cross-platform now I don't think that it will last long. Why would someone spend around 25k and get the least possible features? There are lots of high-end android devices that provide some really good features in this range. BlackBerry is not able to sell its devices on the basis of its operating systems as of now. Who will purchase a device that offers only a 5MP camera at 25k?
    10-28-13 04:19 AM
    my thoughts on BBMX.
    what do you guys think?

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...d-game-863565/
    10-28-13 07:16 AM