So you call the PP a flop while the Z10 is the phone that resulted in like a billion dollars of write downs?

Okay.

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 had massive write downs because of Thor ordering so many. He took an aggressive approach because he didn't want to have a shortage in case the phone was a raging success. However, it wasn't for a myriad of reasons; 10.0 was not ready for market, and BlackBerry was in a precipitous downward spiral, with no marketing for the devices. John Chen didn't make the same mistake with the PP. He took a much more conservative approach. Hence the month long wait for the initial orders to be delivered. So my point is that it wasn't truly the merits of the phones in question that lead to write downs, but the approach by upper management. I think Chen would have handled the Z10 launch much differently.
    01-10-15 09:59 AM
    The Z10 had massive write downs because of Thor ordering so many. He took an aggressive approach because he didn't want to have a shortage in case the phone was a raging success. However, it wasn't for a myriad of reasons; 10.0 was not ready for market, and BlackBerry was in a precipitous downward spiral, with no marketing for the devices. John Chen didn't make the same mistake with the PP. He took a much more conservative approach. Hence the month long wait for the initial orders to be delivered. So my point is that it wasn't truly the merits of the phones in question that lead to write downs, but the approach by upper management. I think Chen would have handled the Z10 launch much differently.
    Hm I tend to agree.

Anyway how do we want to define success here or how did the OP define it I responded to? Just unit shipments? So like the Z10 might be more successful because it sold say 500,000 units in period X while the PP might only manage to sell 300,000 in the same time frame? The way I see it BlackBerry has to regain brand reputation. Meaning I'd rather have a phone shipping 300,000 units at a profit and being considered a distinct and successful niche device than selling 500,000 units of a me-too device at a loss thatched being considered a "massive flop" by the open public.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 10:55 AM
    Yes I have seen the PP in action and also its a flop. So much for folks wanting it. I suspect that the Z10 has out sold the PP 2to1.

Please go out into the real world and see the light.

BlackBerry hates America!
    I have to disagree with you here. The Passport was never intended to appeal to the masses. It's a niche device that has been a success based on BackBerry's own estimates. Why else would there be device shortages? BlackBerry probably never expected even the first 200k units to sell out so quickly.
    01-11-15 04:07 PM
    Why else would there be device shortages?
    Because John Chen learned from Thorsten to not build too many devices. No more write downs. The flop talk is amusing though. A flop by whose standards? I think BlackBerry is quite happy with the sales. Of course more is always better but Chen makes it no secret his expectations are on the low side, so he seems satisfied.
    01-11-15 04:11 PM
    Because John Chen learned from Thorsten to not build too many devices. No more write downs. The flop talk is amusing though. A flop by whose standards? I think BlackBerry is quite happy with the sales. Of course more is always better but Chen makes it no secret his expectations are on the low side, so he seems satisfied.
    I don't disagree. He didn't want more HW write downs no doubt. But you have to think the folks at BlackBerry were not expecting 7 figure sales in the first month either. I think they made what they thought they could sell. They probably did under estimate, however I don't blame them considering the overall lack of marketing on the product.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 06:31 PM
    Waiting for the Passeport 2.

Steal blue or dark blue !

Z10
    01-12-15 09:07 PM
56 123