It's one of those ideas that when I first read , thought it was a silly idea that couldn't possibly work, but the more I think about it, the more I see how a cross platform 'Hub' like app, free but with advertisements for new BlackBerry phones every now and then could help BlackBerry a lot!

1) It could help boost BBM downloads by just having the icon for bbm there and prompting to download (maybe the app wouldn't even fully functional unless BBM was downloaded)

2) Help raise awareness of BlackBerry and their devices, Endgadget article has shown a desire for such a central messaging tool

3) increase developer support, wouldn't snapchat, instagram etc. LOVE to get on board on something like this, and as part of getting support on the app they might as well make a native bb10 app, because like BBM I want this app to retain the BB10 elements so it's noticeable and annoyingly different..

I know the chance of this happening are so so so so so so so so so slim if not impossible.. at least until I buy up enough BlackBerry shares to sit on the board

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    allengeorge and Prem WatsApp like this.
    08-27-14 02:11 PM
    Hi tino,

Definitely worth a second thought!
    Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on this...

Also in combination with BBM. BlackBerry is more than phones, and the move to become premdominantly a software company is written on the wall...

Still, we love our devices... !

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    tinochiko likes this.
    08-28-14 06:19 AM
    It's one of those ideas that when I first read , thought it was a silly idea that couldn't possibly work, but the more I think about it, the more I see how a cross platform 'Hub' like app, free but with advertisements for new BlackBerry phones every now and then could help BlackBerry a lot!

1) It could help boost BBM downloads by just having the icon for bbm there and prompting to download (maybe the app wouldn't even fully functional unless BBM was downloaded)

2) Help raise awareness of BlackBerry and their devices, Endgadget article has shown a desire for such a central messaging tool

3) increase developer support, wouldn't snapchat, instagram etc. LOVE to get on board on something like this, and as part of getting support on the app they might as well make a native bb10 app, because like BBM I want this app to retain the BB10 elements so it's noticeable and annoyingly different..

I know the chance of this happening are so so so so so so so so so slim if not impossible.. at least until I buy up enough BlackBerry shares to sit on the board

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    I even wrote to Blackberry 6 months ago to propose same idea. Basically, they could create BlackBerry experience launcher for Android with hub as unified inbox, integrated BBM, BB10 icons, white system menus, BB10 skinned sms app. Some goodwill couldn't hurt Blackberry and they could also make step closer to full Android adoption.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    08-28-14 12:27 PM
    Great idea.
    I suggested to them some months earlier to release the virtual keyboard on other devices as well. They'd make some money off of it and create some marketing along the way...
    08-29-14 05:49 AM
    They must be working on this. Software is 90% margin (high enough) that it would make sense. I could see ex blackberry business users downloading the overlay (I would assume) which would tie into balance and BES 12 cloud. Basically all the blackberry goodies on iOS and android.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 09:39 PM
    They must be working on this. Software is 90% margin (high enough) that it would make sense. I could see ex blackberry business users downloading the overlay (I would assume) which would tie into balance and BES 12 cloud. Basically all the blackberry goodies on iOS and android.

Posted via CB10
    iOS and Android only as host OS for a BlackBerry UI...

(won't happen the other way around any time soon, because BB10 UI is so much superior... and if you want an iDevice or 'Droid, you can buy one.. )

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    08-29-14 11:51 PM
    I'd love to get Hub on Android. The problem is that it won't necessarily be an advertisement for BlackBerry. Apps follow the userbase, not the UI

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-30-14 12:43 AM
    I'm guessing BlackBerry is still trying to find a way how to make use of their NOC's and BIS/BES in the future. If they manage to find a solution for BB10 then they could offer service for Android and other platforms. Would be nice to see BB10 overlay on top of Android with BBRY logo in notification bar.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 06:06 AM
    Well, I think this is a great idea but I'm not sure how it's technically feasible. The Hub would need OS privileges, especially on the iPhone. Having apps just pour information into other apps is very unlikely. I know the iOS is working on getting apps to talk to one another but that hasn't happened yet so you'd need to find another way. As for android, I'm not really sure. I would assume you can't get everything in the hub either.

Now I'm just rambling here but maybe it's possible right now if you defined a certain amount of apps you'd want to cover and asked users to enter in their credentials. I'm thinking kind of like mint the financial website. The only problem is the hub might be slower than just push notifications on the phone that way.

Anyway, love the idea. I said in another forum that blackberry needs to not focus on the handsets, but rather build software that gives you blackberry productivity on other devices. On a side note, I'm surprised they didn't sell the typo keyboard first. If you're listening jc, you guys own the best keyboard patents. How about you make it the right way and compete with them.
    tinochiko likes this.
    08-30-14 06:17 AM