If I was in charge, my first steps would be:

1. Immediate cancellation of all current development devices. Further trimming of company fat.
    Accept defeat that you will never win back your marketshare, stop making outdated, overpriced handsets trying to appease to the mainstream public. Its not profitable and it dilutes the brand.

2. Start rapid development of an off-contract business-centric, high end device. (BB Q20 on steroids)(Codename Bold/Beyond)
    The "luxury" device market is just begging for an actual player. Currently, most executives rely on Apple. Do you think they like having the same phone as a 12 year old? No, they don't. I'm talking leather, steel (titanium), and sapphire, and fully loaded specs.

3. Start marketing push as a new brand based on corporate-focused services (BES) and BBM, but unleash the BB Bold/Beyond as the kingpin of it all.

4. If, and only if, you have managed to draw the public's ire towards your super-high end, drool worthy device, do you release an aggressively priced device(+6months-1year). Not $179, not $159, not even $149. I'm talking $99-$120. This device needs to be differentiated from the flagship much like the 5s/5c is, but pack a good punch specs wise. Plastic build is fine, this won't be a "real" blackberry.

5. Get into bed with Google. If that does not work, get into bed with Microsoft. Android is only worth something to businesses if you have the Google app portfolio, and if you don't, Microsoft would love a corporate-centric device manufacturer.

It's very late, and I just kind of felt like writing this, what do you guys think? Roleplaying as CEO here, any questions? lol
    milo53 likes this.
    04-20-14 06:33 AM
    Not sure about you guys and to be honest, John Chen is doing exactly the steps what I was envisioning.

Here is my favorite quote from him (may not be exact words) : Talking about Art of War) , he (someone else Oracle CEO he referred to I believe ) read the translation, I read the original.

John Chen is doing modern Art of War.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 08:31 AM
    Op has it backwards BlackBerry needs to release a bare bones business oriented model that is low cost that focuses on productivity and security. Though getting MS on board would be a good idea for MS Office etc.

Z30 and loving it!
    04-20-14 01:24 PM
    Op has it backwards BlackBerry needs to release a bare bones business oriented model that is low cost that focuses on productivity and security. Though getting MS on board would be a good idea for MS Office etc.

Z30 and loving it!
    Get MS to port Office to BB10?
    04-20-14 02:05 PM
    Then it wouldn't be a fix, but more of a "keep running broken".
    04-20-14 02:23 PM
    Get MS to port Office to BB10?
    yes a native 360 app would be nice
    04-20-14 02:23 PM
    OP how many upper level corporate customers do you envision waiting for a high end corporate device?

5,000 maybe 10,000... that is a true niche.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 03:10 PM
    OP how many upper level corporate customers do you envision waiting for a high end corporate device?

5,000 maybe 10,000... that is a true niche.

Posted via CB10
    Finally a constructive comment.
    The point is not to create a device *only* for the 5-10k high end consumers, it is to target it at them. Targeting it at the elite is the same way luxury clothes, bags, and watch brands operate. By creating only the most premium experience and an illusion of rarity/speciality you can create a brand that people actually WANT.

Right now the biggest problem is that nobody WANTS a Blackberry.

Lets say BB makes $50 on a Z3. A generous estimate, but there is an even smaller market of people willing to ditch their Galaxys or their iPhones or even their Nokia's for a device like the Z3. And in order for the Z3 to be a success it has to sell in volume.

The Z3 is not a flagship handset, it is doing nothing towards making Blackberry a lustworthy brand.

I would make BB a symbol of success, and that's how you win, because people want to look the part of success.
    04-21-14 04:44 AM
    Corporate business types are interested in low cost and productivity not bling. Why do you think Legacy devices are outselling BB10 2 to 1?

Z30 and loving it!
    04-21-14 12:37 PM
    Finally a constructive comment.
    The point is not to create a device *only* for the 5-10k high end consumers, it is to target it at them. Targeting it at the elite is the same way luxury clothes, bags, and watch brands operate. By creating only the most premium experience and an illusion of rarity/speciality you can create a brand that people actually WANT.

Right now the biggest problem is that nobody WANTS a Blackberry.

Lets say BB makes $50 on a Z3. A generous estimate, but there is an even smaller market of people willing to ditch their Galaxys or their iPhones or even their Nokia's for a device like the Z3. And in order for the Z3 to be a success it has to sell in volume.

The Z3 is not a flagship handset, it is doing nothing towards making Blackberry a lustworthy brand.

I would make BB a symbol of success, and that's how you win, because people want to look the part of success.
    I agree with what you wrote almost entirely except for your disdain for the Z3. It shouldn't even be in the same area of consideration as iPhones or Galaxy's. I rather feel it should be one of those offerings on prepaid. Consider Samsung for a second; they make devices like the Samsung Illusion which is an Android packing low-end device....on prepaid services. Conversely, that is where I feel the Z3 and Jakarta should be. Cheaper and lower end is a heck of a market (as someone who works in retail, believe me they fly off the shelves.) I see nothing wrong with trying to encompass the whole spectrum (Z3 to low end as Z30 to high end.)
    04-21-14 04:24 PM
    Apologies, I double posted myself. Fixed.
    04-21-14 04:25 PM
    Apologies, I double posted myself. Fixed.
    Happens to me too, I usually leave it, with an apology.

Might follow your example, re-edit, delete the double post and just leave the apology. Thanks!

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    04-26-14 07:56 AM