I love my Z30 to death, but I'd love to get a 5.5" version with a horizontal slider keyboard! I think it would sell like hotcakes. I'm typing this on my Q10 (which I bought for development purposes), and I'm not impressed with the typing experience (sorry!). Thoughts?

BobAtPitt
    04-08-15 12:30 AM
    I'm interested!

Posted via CB10
    BobAtPitt likes this.
    04-08-15 12:43 AM
    I liked the Nokia Commander style devices, but I'm not sure how many would sell. A little laptop in the pocket? Might be worth a shot... :-)

(but BBRY, don't spread yourself too thin...!)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    04-08-15 09:51 PM
    I think the mystery portrait slider they showed off recently will be DOA. It's ridiculous to have all that space in which to lay out a keyboard, but throw most of it away, all in the name of keeping the screen in portrait mode. Our PC monitors and laptop screens are horizontal, not vertical (unless you're really into desktop publishing or something). Yes, a horizontal slider will require some rejiggering of the OS, but they're already half way there with their changes for the passport. (And for those of you who say the portrait orientation allows you to hold the phone with one hand and type, I say baloney! It's hard enough typing on that keyboard with two hands...)
    04-09-15 02:51 AM
    Addendum: BlackBerry asks developers to make sure our apps work in both portrait and landscape mode, but BB10 itself doesn't meet that requirement. Mr. Chen needs to bite the bullet and release the aforementioned 5.5" horizontal slider with a killer BB10 rewrite that allows Active Frames (and other goodies?) in landscape mode. And imagine Twitter or Messenger in full landscape without an on-screen keyboard getting in the way!
    04-09-15 12:46 PM
    No thanks.
    Z30 is the perfect size device and I rather have a replacement without any physical keys.

Sexy White Z30....
    04-10-15 11:19 PM
    How about a Passport Style? Lol

Loving my Passport!
    Attachment 346899
    04-11-15 06:51 AM
    The BlackBerry experience has always been about typing with both thumbs. A landscape keyboard has never made any sense to me, unless you have 8" thumbs.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    04-11-15 07:03 AM
    OP. Since it will sell like hotcakes, how come the other major players don't know that? With Apple's vast resources, don't you think their. R&D people would be all over this if it were true?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 12:51 PM
    OP. Since it will sell like hotcakes, how come the other major players don't know that? With Apple's vast resources, don't you think their. R&D people would be all over this if it were true?

Posted via CB10
    I think the answer lies in the weight and/or thickness of prior phones. We've come a long way with materials and batteries. I'm thinking it could be done. Chen is a daring fellow - dare he try? He's already working on that new portrait slider, so he might have realized that too...

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 01:54 PM
    I think the answer lies in the weight and/or thickness of prior phones. We've come a long way with materials and batteries. I'm thinking it could be done. Chen is a daring fellow - dare he try? He's already working on that new portrait slider, so he might have realized that too...

Posted via CB10
    In essence, you are saying that the other major mobile players out there don't know of this goldmine of which you speak, and you want Chen to use Blackberry's scarce resources to fund your fantasy.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 03:40 PM
    I never see the horizontal sliders anymore but knew some users that had them. They were some of the worst samsung phones made. I am sure those with nightmares will chime in.
    04-11-15 06:46 PM
    In essence, you are saying that the other major mobile players out there don't know of this goldmine of which you speak, and you want Chen to use Blackberry's scarce resources to fund your fantasy.

Posted via CB10
    Umm, sure! Isn't Chen a steely-eyed missile man?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 07:35 PM
    I'd like to see BlackBerry do a survey of Passport owners to find out why they bought it. Dollars to donuts, I'd bet the larger keyboard was the majority reason. (But at this point I wouldn't trust any such survey; I'm sure the BlackBerry phanboyz would poison it...)

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 07:47 PM
    I'd like to see BlackBerry do a survey of Passport owners to find out why they bought it. Dollars to donuts, I'd bet the larger keyboard was the majority reason. (But at this point I wouldn't trust any such survey; I'm sure the BlackBerry phanboyz would poison it...)

Posted via CB10
    I always preferred a physical keyboard, and the Torch 98xx offered me a larger screen + a pkb. I purchased the Z10 because it was the first BB10 device available, the Q10 turned me off with its small screen (I wear glasses and hate squinting lol) so I jumped to the Z30. The Passport has a large pkb + a large screen so it was natural that I had to have one. When the new slider is released I will be the first in line to purchase one. The Torch form factor was my all time favorite device.

Loving my Passport!
    04-11-15 08:08 PM
    I always preferred a physical keyboard, and the Torch 98xx offered me a larger screen + a pkb. I purchased the Z10 because it was the first BB10 device available, the Q10 turned me off with its small screen (I wear glasses and hate squinting lol) so I jumped to the Z30. The Passport has a large pkb + a large screen so it was natural that I had to have one. When the new slider is released I will be the first in line to purchase one. The Torch form factor was my all time favorite device.

Loving my Passport!
    I truly am happy that people are spending money on BlackBerry devices, even if on devices I wouldn't buy. I just want BlackBerry to do better. I could settle for the Z30, but I'd rather have the monster keyboard!

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 09:23 PM
    I'd like to see BlackBerry do a survey of Passport owners to find out why they bought it. Dollars to donuts, I'd bet the larger keyboard was the majority reason.
    The non-traditional 3 row keyboard turned a lot of people off. A portrait slider would too.
    04-12-15 12:31 AM
    The non-traditional 3 row keyboard turned a lot of people off. A portrait slider would too.
    My mother has a Samsung S425 (?) Tracfone with a horizontal keyboard, and typing on that $25 cheapie is miles better than the Q10! Not sure why others wouldn't like that sort of thing...

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 11:07 AM
    My mother has
    Keywords right there. A heavy horizontal slider wouldn't appeal to business.
    04-12-15 12:41 PM
    Slider:
    - BAD, because they are bound to cause hardware issues (especially noticed on Samsung and LG feature phones).
    - GOOD for people who like enormous keyboards.
    - BAD for people who don't like thick phones, large moving parts, or enormous keyboards.
    - GOOD when some of the extra space is used for a trackpad, number pad, or other convenient buttons or tools.

Each individual will have to weigh the good and the bad to decide if a device is right for them. No device is perfect.

My wife gave me her LG Rumor slider years ago and I liked texting her on it more than I texting her on a T9 texting phone. However, it was practically new yet it would shut off when slid open - a very common issue that plagues sliders from all manufactures (I guess ribbon cables are hard to engineer...). Even still, had I not accidentally broken it, I could have lived with it for quite a while, because it was small and functional.

A giant 4" screened slider though would feel heavy, awkward, and prove to be impossible to use with one hand. And that might be OK for some people, but given how ALL of the major Android manufactures have sold horizontal sliders, yet hardly ever does one see a person using a horizontal slider, it would seem that design doesn't resonate with most people. And that's fine, everyone is different.
    04-12-15 02:41 PM
    I liked the Nokia Commander style devices, but I'm not sure how many would sell. A little laptop in the pocket? Might be worth a shot... :-)

Mee too! I love those days of Nokia communicator

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 03:47 PM
    Mee too! I love those days of Nokia communicator

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, did I get it wrong? Communicator, haha...

That laugh is on me, LOL :-D

04-13-15 01:09 AM

I too liked the Nokia Communicator lineup, especially the last E90 of the traditional class hell design that thing was super powerful in its day, dual screen too. And the E70 (?) slider tilt like the Nokia N70(?) man so long ago I cannot recall the names other than the E90.

Think of the Passport as a title slider with an even slightly larger keyboard that can be a full work wide touch or capacitive keyboard when needed.

Posted using CB10 via Z10
    04-13-15 01:26 AM