I tried to refrain but I need to put it in order.
    No hat, no more infos than Joes.

Here are some thoughts, things I'll applause.
    They're probably out of context and strategic view, so take it as it is, armchair CEO talk.

1. Buy Mobile Iron
    At current valuation and results, they're perfect target for a takeover. We're talking about a $500mil. range offer (i.e: $33K per consumer; that's a cheap acquisition price). On the EMM/MDM market this would send BlackBerry to #1 spot by +/- 20% in a snap. What a psychological change ... and a classic external growth scenario.

2. Hire a more efficient community/social manager
    Someone at BlackBerry's head office has to realize that most people talking about BlackBerry are 35-50 yo people. Not kids on the block.
    Whatever the strategy is (Enterprises), the only source of decent information is web/blog sites and these BlackBerry loyalists have jobs or even lead companies. We need professionalism here, additionally. I mean, we're in 2015 and all major competitors have such resources.

There are at least 5 "opinion leading" sites that should be monitored/animated on a daily basis :

- CrackBerry.com
    - N4BB.com
    - BerryFlow.com
    - Seeking Alpha
    - The Mootley Fools

(you can PM me for the job, BTW ;-))

3. Engage with supportive sites
    I'm tired of Samsung and Mobile Iron ads on my fav sites.
    Pay the price, buy (image, not product) ads, exclusive if possible.

Except for 1) which is "pay to get value", these are inexpensive and easy to set.
    But, as I started with ... we don't know what hand they have to play ATM so ... who am I to pretend they could do better?
    Ah, oh, it's written on the wall : An armchair CEO

Cheers
    SF.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-06-15 at 01:07 PM.
    awindsr, Ecm, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    07-06-15 11:52 AM
    HI Superfly,
    I've been looking at MOBL for a while now, not for my own investment deals but just to follow the awful trajectory of their approach.

Quarter after quarter, the cost of their revenue is around 50% higher than their revenue. For example, last quarter they took in $33M in revenue and it cost them $54M in expenses to receive that $33M in revenue. Ouch! This is also reoccurring! This is such an unsustainable approach that it will ultimately destroy them.

I don't think there is any value in buying this company.
    MOBL Equity from the balance sheet (last 4 quarters):
    $135M
    $125M
    $115M
    $106M
    It would drop a lot faster(by $20M/quarter) except that the company is issuing more shares each quarter and adding cash which is offsetting this decline! Talk about share dilution (Book value will be hitting $1 soon)
    We can now start counting down from 10... Blackberry will get a good chunk of these customers by doing nothing. IMO, the money is better spent on another EZPass program or other incentives.

As for an efficient community social manager, I agree 100%. Some rewards for big promoters of Blackberry products would be cool too.
    07-06-15 07:40 PM
    But if BlackBerry buys Mobile Iron , then who will Morgan Stanley and Faucette create FUD for?
    Do you think that BlackBerry are eyeing this MI scenario as a possibility?
    If they are, then who else is doing the same, that we should worry about acquiring Mobile Iron and using it against us?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 07:41 PM
    I tried to refrain but I need to put it in order.
    No hat, no more infos than Joes.

Here are some thoughts, things I'll applause.
    They're probably out of context and strategic view, so take it as it is, armchair CEO talk.

1. Buy Mobile Iron
    At current valuation and results, they're perfect target for a takeover. We're talking about a $500mil. range offer (i.e: $33K per consumer; that's a cheap acquisition price). On the EMM/MDM market this would send BlackBerry to #1 spot by +/- 20% in a snap. What a psychological change ... and a classic external growth scenario.

2. Hire a more efficient community/social manager
    Someone at BlackBerry's head office has to realize that most people talking about BlackBerry are 35-50 yo people. Not kids on the block.
    Whatever the strategy is (Enterprises), the only source of decent information is web/blog sites and these BlackBerry loyalists have jobs or even lead companies. We need professionalism here, additionally. I mean, we're in 2015 and all major competitors have such resources.

There are at least 5 "opinion leading" sites that should be monitored/animated on a daily basis :

- CrackBerry.com
    - N4BB.com
    - BerryFlow.com
    - Seeking Alpha
    - The Mootley Fools

(you can PM me for the job, BTW ;-))

3. Engage with supportive sites
    I'm tired of Samsung and Mobile Iron ads on my fav sites.
    Pay the price, buy (image, not product) ads, exclusive if possible.

Except for 1) which is "pay to get value", these are inexpensive and easy to set.
    But, as I started with ... we don't know what hand they have to play ATM so ... who am I to pretend they could do better?
    Ah, oh, it's written on the wall : An armchair CEO

Cheers
    SF.
    1) Why buy a company that isn't making money? At what point do you expect that either BES or Mobile Iron will become profitable?
    Can Mobile Iron be bought for $500 Million? Based on what?
    Can BlackBerry afford to spend $500 Million and then the loss of $20 Million in revenue each quarter?
    What would the BlackBerry name being attached to Mobile Iron do to future sales?

2) "opinion leading" sites... who are you trying to reach? Just BBRY minor league shareholders?
    The is a big wide world out there.... and I doubt many people view any of those sites.
    I would focus on sites that IT professionals would be visiting... especially those that are involved in EMM. Not that I have a clue what sites or publications that would be. But I agree that the BES product line is getting left out in many reviews of EMM.
    And I think Chen needs to fix one of the biggest mistakes that has been made. BlackBerry the device may die out, but that doesn't mean that RIM can't have other products that are success. Change the name back!

But I still really question the future of the standalone EMM market. I think BlackBerry needs to be talking with customers and making sure of where the trends are heading, and that BES can fill those needs. From full Windows management to Cloud Services and possible even providing Email abilities....
    07-07-15 08:42 AM
    I agree with 2) and 3), but disagree with 1).

The only valuable asset of Mobile Iron is their customer base, but I am sure that BlackBerry, as a market leader, has this information already.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 01:58 PM
    I agree with 2) and 3), but disagree with 1).

The only valuable asset of Mobile Iron is their customer base, but I am sure that BlackBerry, as a market leader, has this information already.

Posted via CB10
    Quoted SD but answers many.

It's the instantly that is the key.
    On a free upgrade to BES basis, this could mean a lot.
    Despite what they stated (and are sued for) most of MOBL customers are monthly licences, not perpetual.
    33K per consumer (with n licences attached) is not a huge acquisition cost : a few months of free CALS, same 'price' than incentive program.
    And it is w/o slashing the opex production/evolution costs (eq: no research, marketing, salesforce ) : here are the $20 million per year.
    Could be a pretty good deal. Bloody, but... Pretty good
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-08-15 at 08:14 AM. Reason: rewording
    07-07-15 07:58 PM
    1) Why buy a company that isn't making money? At what point do you expect that either BES or Mobile Iron will become profitable?
    Can BlackBerry afford to spend $500 Million and then the loss of $20 Million in revenue each quarter?
    What would the BlackBerry name being attached to Mobile Iron do to future sales?

2) "opinion leading" sites... who are you trying to reach? Just BBRY minor league shareholders?
    The is a big wide world out there.... and I doubt many people view any of those sites.
    I would focus on sites that IT professionals would be visiting... especially those that are involved in EMM. Not that I have a clue what sites or publications that would be. But I agree that the BES product line is getting left out in many reviews of EMM.
    And I think Chen needs to fix one of the biggest mistakes that has been made. BlackBerry the device may die out, but that doesn't mean that RIM can't have other products that are success. Change the name back!

But I still really question the future of the standalone EMM market. I think BlackBerry needs to be talking with customers and making sure of where the trends are heading, and that BES can fill those needs. From full Windows management to Cloud Services and possible even providing Email abilities....
    2) opinion leading sites are those where journalists try to catch the news, not mainstream ones. They feed mainstream... and that's what I refer to; the brand perception. As of date it's more a CFO/CEO talk than a CTO one IMHO.
    But I agree some IT related won't hurt !

As for the EMM market, BlackBerry basically just invented it. As of date, in addition of smartphones related technology (MDM), we have a few verticals who agreed to enter the game of IoT... let the EiOTM birth, IMHO they're working on it!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 08:08 PM
    You have to realize that a lot of MobileIron's operating costs are for R&D and sales/marketing. This would already be covered by BlackBerry currently, so you can take them almost completely out of OpEx.

As well, MobileIron has a highly-touted iOS container solution, which is the one most often criticized in BlackBerry's solution.

So you're essentially buying their customer base, their technology and their partnerships, without having to inherit very many of their costs.

The risk in not doing this, is that another competitor could, and put BlackBerry far out of the market leader position. As we know from hardware, it's hard to come back from behind in mobile.

I haven't even gotten into media perception yet....
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-07-15 08:23 PM
    I agree with #3 a lot, #2 slightly and not very much with #1.

I think that letting MobileIron run its course, and go out of business on their own would be more of a victory for BlackBerry than buying them. Shelling out that kind of cash for a company validates them, when they're definitely not worth it. Plus, the customers that they have chose them for a reason, so if BlackBerry were to take over, it doesn't prove much. If the company they chose folds, however, they'll definitely put some more thought into their next EMM solution, and I bet BlackBerry will look awfully good.

Motley Fool and Seeking Alpha are such jokes - maybe it's just me, but I put very little into the articles that they publish. I don't even read them anymore. The other sites you mentioned are obviously fan sites, so I'm not sure what good that would do. Maybe other tech sites like Engadget, Technobuffalo or general ones like that?

I think that everyone can agree that it would be great to see some marketing dollars spent - hopefully Chen has a long term plan for this.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-07-15 11:39 PM
    I think that letting MobileIron run its course, and go out of business on their own would be more of a victory for BlackBerry than buying them
    "We" need to be psychological and efficient, not emotional. Some may event say "arrogant"; "we"'ve been burned several time with this attitude ...

While I agree with you, I believe a buyout would denote more confidence and strength.
    See this in a customer scenario : "hello, I'm BlackBerry, the #1 in EMM/MDM by 50%".
    JMHO, even better than "do you remember I promised MOBL would have hard times competing with us ?".

At least I wouldn't like a competitor (say Airwatch) to do this.

Reminder : all my statements in this thread are 100% Armchair CEO and "thinking out loud" ones.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-08-15 at 08:12 AM. Reason: edited "do you remember ..." for more clarity.
    07-08-15 04:28 AM
    "We" need to be psychological and efficient, not emotional. Some may event say "arrogant"; "we"'ve been burned several time with this attitude ...

While I agree with you, I believe a buyout would denote more confidence and strength.
    See this in a customer scenario : "hello, I'm BlackBerry, the #1 in EMM/MDM by 50%".
    JMHO, even better than "do you remember I promised you'll have hard time competing with us ?".

At least I wouldn't like a competitor (say Airwatch) to do this.

Reminder : all my statements in this thread are 100% Armchair CEO and "thinking out loud" ones.
    Yeah Apple and their silly little toy phone......

Who knows it might be a really good idea. As bspence87 mention Mobile Iron might even make BES12 a better product.

And I would sure hate for someone big company with the marketing power to make Mobile Iron THE EMM solution. Can you imagine what Apple could do with their software capabilities, their cash resources, their strength in business devices and their marketing know how?

Or if Microsoft incorporated Mobile Iron into Exchange....
    Or Google incorporated Mobile Iron into Google Apps for business.....
    07-08-15 08:00 AM
    And finally ...
    Today, BlackBerry acquired GOOD Technology, MOBL direct competitor ...
    FTR.
    09-04-15 11:10 AM
    Today, BlackBerry acquired GOOD Technology, MOBL direct competitor ...
    https://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=MOBL+Key+Statistics

It appears that Mobile Iron is not making money . . . I would hope that the global MDM market will be soon ruled by Citrix Systems, VMware (AirWatch), and BlackBerry / Good Technology.
    09-04-15 06:25 PM
    Some maths ...
    Source : IDC - http://idcdocserv.com/256627_Final_deliverble

In fact, we now have a clear leader for EMM/MDM by 50% !

Worldwide Enterprise Mobility Management Software (2014)
    Software Market Share Revenues $Mil Growth %
    Others 39,20 553,8 32,00
    BlackBerry + Good Tech.
    19,20 270,6 38,60
    AirWatch/Vmware 11,40 161,1 78,00
    MobileIron 9,20 130,1 26,20
    Citrix 8,10 114,2 47,20
    SAP 8,00 113,2 4,50
    IBM 4,90 69,1 10,70

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-04-15 07:23 PM
    BlackBerry + Good Tech = +/- 19% market share
    #1 spot for single vendor - 50% ahead
    Airwatch in the 11s %
    Mobile Iron in the 9s %

Copy/paste a table in CB10 is challenging lol
    Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    09-04-15 07:26 PM
    BlackBerry + Good Tech = +/- 19% market share
    #1 spot for single vendor - 50% ahead
    Airwatch in the 11s %
    Mobile Iron in the 9s %

Copy/paste a table in CB10 is challenging lol
    Posted via CB10
    �DIV�into the code�/haha� :-)

(dive!)

�   Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...   �
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-04-15 10:01 PM
    BlackBerry + Good Tech = +/- 19%
    Airwatch in the 11s %
    Mobile Iron in the 9s %
    I wonder as of what date market shares have been measured.

FWIW-img_20150905_143334.png

Posted via CB10
    09-05-15 12:36 AM
    I believe it's full FY 2014 as they mention GAAP.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-15 01:28 AM
    The Good acquisition is very... uh... good ;-)

The devil will be in the details, of course, in terms of how well they can incorporate their technology and/or convert the customers to BES. MobileIron would still be a cool acquisition target, mind you, though if they flounder much more they may get even cheaper.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-05-15 01:34 AM
    MobileIron Wins Jury Verdict in Clean Sweep

August 5, 2015

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Aug. 5, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- MobileIron (NASDAQ: MOBL), the leader in mobile enterprise security, today announced a very favorable jury verdict in its patent case with Good Technology. The jury:

Upheld MobileIron's Enterprise App Store patent, U.S. Patent No. 8,359,016, as valid;

Held that two of Good Technology's patents are invalid;

Held that MobileIron's products do not infringe any of the Good Technology patents in the case;

Rejected Good Technology's Lanham Act claim for false advertising; and

Awarded no damages to either side.

"We are pleased that the jury recognized our focus on innovation in enterprise mobility," said Bob Tinker, CEO of MobileIron. "Good Technology started this litigation over two years ago in 2012, and we are glad to now have this verdict validating our enterprise app store and affirming our position that we did not infringe any of their patents."

Three of Good Technology's Patents Invalidated – one by court and two by jury

In a summary judgment order shortly before the trial commenced, the court invalidated Good Technology's Patent No. 6,151,606, which Good has said covers a workspace data manager to synchronize data on a smartphone. This patent was the centerpiece of past Good/Visto lawsuits against Microsoft, BlackBerry (formerly Research in Motion), and others. In trial, the jury further held that two additional Good Technology patents were invalid as obvious: Good Technology's Patent No. 8,012,219 covering a technique of selective wipe, and Patent No. 7,970,386 focusing on certain device monitoring technologies. None of these three patents can now be asserted against any other vendor, pending appeal.

Finally, the jury also rejected Good Technology's Lanham Act false advertising claim.

No Infringement

On Good Technology's one patent that survived invalidation by the jury, Patent No. 7,702,322 which covers a particular implementation of software distribution, the jury found that MobileIron's products did not infringe. The jury also held that MobileIron's products did not infringe the two Good Technology patents that it invalidated. In addition, Good's product was held not to infringe MobileIron's patent.

Good Technology and MobileIron have ongoing patent litigation in other cases in which the companies are alleging patent infringement against each other, as well as inter partes review proceedings against each other's patents.

MobileIron was represented by Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe, including Neel Chatterjee, Vickie Feeman, Lillian Mao, Glen Liu, Will Melehani and Frances Cheever.

Safe harbor

This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including statements regarding the possible outcome of litigation. MobileIron does not assume any obligation to update these forward-looking statements to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist after the date on which they were made. Additional information on potential risks and factors that could affect MobileIron's business and financial condition and results are set forth in our SEC filings, including our reports on Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K.

About MobileIron

MobileIron provides the secure foundation for companies around the world to transform into Mobile First organizations. For more information, please visit MDM & Enterprise Mobile Solutions | MobileIron.

"MobileIron" and the MobileIron Planet M logo are registered trademarks of MobileIron, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Trade names, trademarks, and service marks of other companies that are used in this press release belong to their respective owners.
    awindsr likes this.
    09-05-15 06:25 AM
    P.S.

Good Technology has lost (?) two legal battles in a row.

----------

Good Technology and VMware Resolve Patent Litigation

Apr 15, 2015 | Sunnyvale, Calif., and Palo Alto, Calif.

Good Technology and VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW) today announced that they have entered into an agreement that resolves all pending litigation between Good and VMware, including VMware’s subsidiary, AirWatch LLC.

While the full terms of the agreement are confidential, the parties have agreed to a long-term patent portfolio cross-license agreement and to discuss opportunities for joint interoperability that could benefit their mutual customers.

“We are extremely pleased to be able to resolve these intellectual property issues in a way that upholds our principles and encourages future innovation,” said Christy Wyatt, Chairman and CEO at Good Technology. “The customers of both Good and VMware, who rely on our respective mobility management solutions, are the real winners.”

“We believe it is in the best interests of our stakeholders if both VMware and Good Technology focus on innovating in the marketplace rather than spending time and resources on litigation,” said Sanjay Poonen, executive vice president and general manager, End-User Computing, VMware, Inc. “With this matter behind us, we can focus on what is important: making our customers and partners successful.”
    awindsr likes this.
    09-05-15 06:39 AM
    Good Technology has lost (?) two legal battles in a row.
    Goog was the attacker in case #1 (against BlackBerry too, BTW) and settled an arrangement in case #2.
    So that, thechnically, the (#1) didn't win and #2 has been negociated.
    Your (?) was spot on
    09-05-15 09:11 AM