I think that the screen has to be 720 x 720 because of the apps ( but I am no expert ). The Passport is 1440 x 1440 which is a multiple of 720. I am not sure how small of a screen would support 1440 x 1440. is 1080 x 1080 technically feasible ? That might be the ticket in a 3.75 inch screen.
    Yeah, 1080 sounds more up to date, LOL...

:-D

*** Znappy New Year ... ***
    01-06-15 02:39 AM
    I think that the screen has to be 720 x 720 because of the apps ( but I am no expert ). The Passport is 1440 x 1440 which is a multiple of 720. I am not sure how small of a screen would support 1440 x 1440. is 1080 x 1080 technically feasible ? That might be the ticket in a 3.75 inch screen.
    Point well taken. My "vision" was too narrow LOL. Indeed there are no apps for 780 x 780 (that I know of). I appreciate the education.
    01-08-15 10:51 PM
    Or even 960 x 960

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 10:26 PM
    This CPU should have been shipped the the Classic:
    https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...processors/400

If this had happened, along with a removable battery, people would have been a LOT more excited (leading to a lot more sales)! Here's to hoping that the Classic 2 has at Least this much horsepower under the hood to offset the demands of those resource hungry Android Apps. What say you?
    01-18-15 06:24 PM
    "So the Galaxy have a removable battery, and the super battery saver mode that makes the screen black and white and actually turns off the black pixels (which it can do because it's an AMOLED display and not a back-lit LCD). To me, that's TWO advantages in battery life alone.

Goodbye Blackberry when my Q10 is done. Do not want a heavyweight phone with an integral battery. The spare battery and its little charging device are constantly in use and hopefully will keep my Q10 running for a few more years."

Someone wrote this on another post. I'm beginning to think that the next Classic should go back to AMOLED to exploit this feature. In addition, a removeable battery and this CPU should help:

Any thoughts?
    01-20-15 08:34 PM
    Blackberry needed to get the classic produce as soon as possible because of the failure of the Q10 to get people off their legacy BBOS devices. I imagine because of them having a lot of inventory of the Q10 internals or the cost factor of getting said parts, then the decision was made to go with the specs that the classic was release with. I don't think blackberry will go back to AMOLED display given the track record of the AMOLED display devices (Q10 and Z30). If you look at the last three devices releases all of them have LCD displays and the fact they went with an lcd display over AMOLED with the classic, seems to me points to LCD being the standard for blackberry going forward.

For the classic 2 I expect for blackberry to use the current passport internals. By the time the classic 2 is release the cost to obtain those parts will be cheaper, as it seems that blackberry is positioning the classic as a combination of bold/curve series phone. Going by the picture of the classic it looks like the toolbelt on the classic is the same as the toolbelt on my curve.
    01-24-15 05:03 PM
    I think the true problem is BlackBerry/rim not investing differentiating for user experience for full touch be keyboard. This doomed the storm back in the day and the same idea is about to kill the classic. They should have invested in the classic version of the os separate from the full touch os. Os10 as is is not trackpad friendly.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 05:16 PM
    I don't think blackberry will go back to AMOLED display given the track record of the AMOLED display devices (Q10 and Z30).
    Interesting point. I do think using the Passport HW would be overkill for a future Classic (due to smaller size) but who knows. I do wish BB would make devices with removable batteries once more. This may increase the cost of producton but it gives the customer choices/options. I think the REAL reason BB used outdated/light hardware for the Classic was to preserve battery life. They did this at the expense of performance, which is unacceptable in my view. More robust CPU/hardware with removable batteries solves this problem. I think the Z30 has a decent track record.
    Last edited by yawdman72; 01-25-15 at 06:06 PM.
    01-25-15 05:43 PM
    They should have invested in the classic version of the os separate from the full touch os. Os10 as is is not trackpad friendly.
    You could be right; however, from a business standpoint I respect their decision. Both the cost of creating and supporting two different Operating Systems would be massive! Not to mention code-base fracture in terms of getting developers to write apps for your platform. Just look at the mess BB is in now on that front. Microsoft suffered with this all throughout the 90s and into the mid 2000s but they had the DEEP pockets to absorb the hit. BlackBerry would not have been able to survive that storm.
    01-25-15 05:53 PM
    They should have invested in the classic version of the os separate from the full touch os. Os10 as is is not trackpad friendly.
    Once more on this point. I can't prove this but I think part of the reason why BB is taking so long to release 4.3.1 for the "other" BB10 devices is that they have to rip out the "Trackpad" centric features/functionality before officially releasing it. Otherwise, this could lead to an unstable OS. My 2 cents.
    01-25-15 06:18 PM
    You could be right; however, from a business standpoint I respect their decision. Both the cost of creating and supporting two different Operating Systems would be massive! Not to mention code-base fracture in terms of getting developers to write apps for your platform. Just look at the mess BB is in now on that front. Microsoft suffered with this all throughout the 90s and into the mid 2000s but they had the DEEP pockets to absorb the hit. BlackBerry would not have been able to survive that storm.
    This may be true. But in my mind if your going to do something, do it right. This "so-so " mindset is what go BlackBerry into this mess.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 08:23 PM
    This "so-so " mindset is what go BlackBerry into this mess.
    Just to clarify. Are you saying that BlackBerry should have never made an OS for an All-Touch device in the first place, but rather make a brand new OS specifically designed for QWERTY handsets from the ground up? If this is what you are saying then BB would have most definitely solidified it's base but I'm not sure that they would have grown beyond it, thus leaving them in pertty much the same situation they are in today. I would like to think that if BlackBerry had made BBM available to the IOS & Android platforms (for a price) 6-7 years ago like people were SCREAMING for back then, they would be in much better shape today. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
    01-26-15 04:58 PM
    Just to clarify. Are you saying that BlackBerry should have never made an OS for an All-Touch device in the first place, but rather make a brand new OS specifically designed for QWERTY handsets from the ground up? If this is what you are saying then BB would have most definitely solidified it's base but I'm not sure that they would have grown beyond it, thus leaving them in pertty much the same situation they are in today. I would like to think that if BlackBerry had made BBM available to the IOS & Android platforms (for a price) 6-7 years ago like people were SCREAMING for back then, they would be in much better shape today. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
    No, I'm saying from the intro of the storm they should have invested vested in a proper touch only os or if ever proper touch ui, that I think would have given them a lil momentum coming forward instead of the rapid fall they've been trying to counter now.
    And now with bb10 before coming from market with the classic style devices, they should have put in the time making a well thought out "classic" UI. I'm not saying they need another os for the classic but make the ui classic oriented.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 05:29 PM
    Maybe so. However, I seriously doubt that the millions of "Bold" & "Curve" owners will have a problem with the return of the curved keyboard. There's a reason they've been holding on to their old BB handsets.
    There are many reasons why they have been holding onto their old handsets and I would expect that the curved keyboard would be well down the list for the vast majority of them.
    02-06-15 06:59 AM
    "So the Galaxy have a removable battery, and the super battery saver mode that makes the screen black and white and actually turns off the black pixels (which it can do because it's an AMOLED display and not a back-lit LCD). To me, that's TWO advantages in battery life alone.

Goodbye Blackberry when my Q10 is done. Do not want a heavyweight phone with an integral battery. The spare battery and its little charging device are constantly in use and hopefully will keep my Q10 running for a few more years."

Someone wrote this on another post. I'm beginning to think that the next Classic should go back to AMOLED to exploit this feature. In addition, a removeable battery and this CPU should help:

Any thoughts?
    Classic is Classic means Bold features, and the removable battery is part of that... *rolleyes*

One advantage of Q10 over the Classic. :-)

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    02-06-15 07:14 AM
    I don't care about the curved keyboard. I don't care about screen resolution, ppi, etc. I am fine with the 3.1 inch screen on the q10, so the 3.5 inch screen on the classic will be fine.

I would like to see a better camera. Not just higher megapixels, but better low light handling and a better lense. I would like to see more processing and memory than what the classic has. classic can still mean power. But, not at the expense of battery life. Removable battery? I am going to miss the removable battery. But, I'm willing to give it up if it is causing the random reboots.

I'd also be interested in a gesture based keyboard, like the passport, but maybe that doesn't matter with the trackpad. And, if there is battery cost, nevermind.

So, all-in-all, my only real "issue" is the camera. no reason why it can't have a respectable (by 2016 standards) camera.
    02-06-15 03:44 PM
    How about Classic 2 and Classic 2 plus... ;-)

Then you can offer a budget version and jack up the specs, too!

�   A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...   �
    How about no.

Posted via My Beast Q10
    02-06-15 03:48 PM
    1) Better specifications obviously

2) Removable and more powerful battery

3) Should be able to play widescreen videos. Increase the resoultin or whatever needs to be done to achieve it. Or maybe just add an option that allows videos to be played in full widescreen without any of it being cut out.

Posted via CB10 from my BlackBerry Q10
    02-22-15 07:44 AM
    I don't think there should be a Classic 2. It is an on boarding device to get people from BBOS onto BlackBerry 10. I don't think the device will sell well and I don't think the tool belt was keeping many people or businesses from from switching.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 05:14 PM
    I would like to see it play video 4:3 in portrait and 16:9 landscape, scale them down to play the entire screen. I don't care if it is tiny, it's the trade off with having a physical keyboard.
    I may be in the minority.. but I think a resurgence of square screens in looming on the horizon. Did anyone notice the shape of the smart watches?
    3) Should be able to play widescreen videos. Increase the resolution or whatever needs to be done to achieve it. Or maybe just add an option that allows videos to be played in full widescreen without any of it being cut out.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    02-24-15 03:28 PM
    The curved keyboard will likely not return for a couple reasons:
    It's been said that typing on a straight keyboard is faster.
    The curve takes up extra space, and the whole struggle with a square screen is maximizing possible screen space.

The removable battery faces similar issues:
    Removable means it has to be smaller, and is more difficult to accommodate in the internal structure of the phone.
    This can lead to random restarts as we have seen with the Q10 because the battery isn't secured good enough.

Classic should have had better specs from the start, but since it is aimed at the people using old phones with half or less the specs it wasn't seen as a big issue. I don't think the classic was really meant to turn things around and regain popularity, it was just to give an updated and familiar replacement to those using BBOS7 devices, now these users can get a taste of BB10, realize that it's basically as good as their personal device, and maybe when it's time to upgrade their personal device they will choose _____ other BlackBerry phone. (Passport, Visa/Victoria, misc upcoming device)

BB for Life
    02-24-15 06:30 PM
    I don't think there should be a Classic 2. It is an on boarding device to get people from BBOS onto BlackBerry 10. I don't think the device will sell well and I don't think the tool belt was keeping many people or businesses from from switching.
    You could be right. Then again, there have been many complaints about the lack of power/underperformance; especially as it relates to Android apps. Seeing as how BB made the decision to create a runtime to support Andriod apps, they owe it to the customers (and themselves) to provide capable hardware in their devices to run those apps efficiently. They dropped the ball in my opinion.

As for the toolbelt, it was DEMANDED to be put back by high profile clients in the financial/banking sector and John Chen wisely complied.
    Last edited by yawdman72; 02-27-15 at 10:35 AM. Reason: missing word
    02-27-15 10:30 AM
    You could be right. Then again, there have been many complaints about the lack of power/underperformance; especially as it relates to Android apps. Seeing as how BB made the decision to create a runtime to support Andriod apps, they owe it to the customers (and themselves) to provide capable hardware in their devices to run those apps efficiently. They dropped the ball in my opinion.

As for the toolbelt, it was DEMANDED to be put back by high profile clients in the financial/banking sector and John Chen wisely complied.
    Yeah I knew it would underperform at those things because the Q10 and Z10 did. When I state that elsewhere on the forum, the fanboys say that it isn't designed for those things or games or movies, it is a messaging device for corporate use. So apparently you Classic users shouldn't be using the phones for anything other than email and communications.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 12:38 PM
    Yeah I knew it would underperform at those things because the Q10 and Z10 did.
    Great point! Thankfully, I am a realist. LOL.
    02-27-15 02:55 PM
    This CPU should have been shipped the the Classic:

If this had happened, along with a removable battery, people would have been a LOT more excited (leading to a lot more sales)! Here's to hoping that the Classic 2 has at Least this much horsepower under the hood to offset the demands of those resource hungry Android Apps. What say you?
    I agree, Android Apps hog resources a lot. I've noticed that.
    Seems BlackBerry set a standard for themselves.
    One Classic like device a year.

Passport� Passport 2
    Classic� Classic 2
    Z10� RIO (despite the Z10 being better)
    Z30� Manitoba high End All Touch with physical short cut keys - Highly Innovative.

4 devices a year to appease the Consumer market and Enterprise.
    Classic and RIO for Business/Enterprise.
    Passport, Manitoba, RIO & Classic for Consumers.

It's about time BlackBerry pushes forth it's aggressive 2015 growth plan and push into the consumer market. Microsoft is targeting BBRY as much as possible, and trying to take market from them. John Chen needs to act now, and 2015 Mobile Congress will unveil the PLAN.

Posted by Q5
    02-28-15 12:53 PM
55 123