On December 17th 2014 BlackBerry launched he Classic, much to the delight of a legion of "Bold" and "Curve" holdouts. The biggest upgrade in my opinion is the 10.3.1 OS and the return of the tool-belt. By the same token the biggest letdown is the absence of a removable battery, antiquated processor and the absence of a curved keyboard (pun intended). Android apps generally speaking are not written efficiently and several of them lag on the Classic, which is disappointing but not surprising given the HW specs. To make matters worse, even a few native BB apps lag and freeze as well. On the Passport this is a non-issue for obvious reasons. Which is why I think BB dropped the ball when they chose not to put more ROBUST hardware into the Classic.

My proposal for the Classic 2 is as follows:
    1) Use the identical hardware specs from the Z30 as the foundation. This will not only eliminate the power deficiency issues but will improve the PPI to between 320 & 330 given the reduced surface area of 3.5 inches as opposed to 5 inches.

2) A more powerful processor & GPU will certainly consume more juice from the battery, hence make the phone with a removable battery this time.

3) Lastly, how can we truly call BlackBerry a "Classic" without re-introducing the curved keyboards from the Bold 9900 and the Curve series?

Sound off and let me know what you think.
    12-24-14 12:52 AM
    Agreed.

But I'll love to see a bigger and lighted trackpad. After all, if they want to bring it back, at least don't bring back a half-hearted one.

Also, a better camera with OIS please.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 03:01 AM
    Great point about the lighted trackpad (missed it in my initial post). Concerning the camera, I'm afraid that's a BB curse which we have to live with. Maybe they should consult with Panasonic to FINALLY resolve this.
    12-24-14 03:13 PM
    Make me a sandwich.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd and dusdal like this.
    12-24-14 11:50 PM
    Make me a sandwich.

Posted via CB10
    Lolllll

Powered by Blackberry
    12-25-14 12:39 AM
    Something else I should've noted. The current Classic has 4 "flat" edges, essentially making it a rectangle with rounded corners. This is a bigger departure from the "Bold" or even the Q10 editions. The Q10 rightfully got criticized for some things but 1 thing it DID get right, was the curved shape (top & bottom) of previous BB handsets. This curved shape feels more natural & comfortable in the palm of your hand.

Here’s my updated BB "Classic2" proposal:

1) Keep the screen size and the width of the phone exactly the same.
    2) Move the screen up 1cm to completely cover the Blackberry logo at the top, leaving the location of the speaker & camera unchanged.
    3) Use the identical hardware specs from the Z30 as the foundation. This will not only eliminate the power deficiency issues but will improve the PPI to between 320 & 330 given the reduced surface area of 3.5 inches as opposed to 5 inches.
    4) Make the Track-pad 30% larger & lighted, just like the old BB handsets.
    5) Make the top & bottom of the phone curved just like the "Bold9900" & the Q10.
    6) The current Classic is a bit long at 5.16" I'd reduce it to 5.09" - 5.10"
    7) Make the phone as thick as the Bold 9900 (10.5mm) to accommodate a removable battery.
    8) Place the BlackBerry logo under the keyboard since everything got moved up 1cm.
    9) Lastly, how can we truly call BlackBerry a "Classic" without re-introducing the curved keyboards from the Bold 9900 and the Curve series? (This also nicely accommodates the 30% larger track-pad).
    12-25-14 06:58 PM
    On December 17th 2014 BlackBerry launched he Classic, much to the delight of a legion of "Bold" and "Curve" holdouts. The biggest upgrade in my opinion is the 10.3.1 OS and the return of the tool-belt. By the same token the biggest letdown is the absence of a removable battery, antiquated processor and the absence of a curved keyboard (pun intended). Android apps generally speaking are not written efficiently and several of them lag on the Classic, which is disappointing but not surprising given the HW specs. To make matters worse, even a few native BB apps lag and freeze as well. On the Passport this is a non-issue for obvious reasons. Which is why I think BB dropped the ball when they chose not to put more ROBUST hardware into the Classic.

My proposal for the Classic 2 is as follows:
    1) Use the identical hardware specs from the Z30 as the foundation. This will not only eliminate the power deficiency issues but will improve the PPI to between 320 & 330 given the reduced surface area of 3.5 inches as opposed to 5 inches.

2) A more powerful processor & GPU will certainly consume more juice from the battery, hence make the phone with a removable battery this time.

3) Lastly, how can we truly call BlackBerry a "Classic" without re-introducing the curved keyboards from the Bold 9900 and the Curve series?

Sound off and let me know what you think.
    they were saying after some test that people type faster on a straight KB.
    12-25-14 11:16 PM
    Maybe so. However, I seriously doubt that the millions of "Bold" & "Curve" owners will have a problem with the return of the curved keyboard. There's a reason they've been holding on to their old BB handsets.
    12-26-14 11:19 AM
    Something else I should've noted. The current Classic has 4 "flat" edges, essentially making it a rectangle with rounded corners. This is a bigger departure from the "Bold" or even the Q10 editions. The Q10 rightfully got criticized for some things but 1 thing it DID get right, was the curved shape (top & bottom) of previous BB handsets. This curved shape feels more natural & comfortable in the palm of your hand.

Here�s my updated BB "Classic2" proposal:

1) Keep the screen size and the width of the phone exactly the same.
    2) Move the screen up 1cm to completely cover the Blackberry logo at the top, leaving the location of the speaker & camera unchanged.
    3) Use the identical hardware specs from the Z30 as the foundation. This will not only eliminate the power deficiency issues but will improve the PPI to between 320 & 330 given the reduced surface area of 3.5 inches as opposed to 5 inches.
    4) Make the Track-pad 30% larger & lighted, just like the old BB handsets.
    5) Make the top & bottom of the phone curved just like the "Bold9900" & the Q10.
    6) The current Classic is a bit long at 5.16" I'd reduce it to 5.09" - 5.10"
    7) Make the phone as thick as the Bold 9900 (10.5mm) to accommodate a removable battery.
    8) Place the BlackBerry logo under the keyboard since everything got moved up 1cm.
    9) Lastly, how can we truly call BlackBerry a "Classic" without re-introducing the curved keyboards from the Bold 9900 and the Curve series? (This also nicely accommodates the 30% larger track-pad).

The classic screen is 720 x 720...you cannot increase the PPI if the screen is still square and having a size of 3.5 inches.

Personally I liked the style of the Q10. I can get by with no tool belt but want the screen and keyboard etc from the Classic slapped into a Q10.
    12-30-14 01:43 AM
    Removable battery, please!

Posted from my Q10
    12-30-14 06:07 PM
    i agree with yawdman72, Classic 2 should have the features listed especially the curved keyboard and removable battery, Blackberry had the chance to produce a Bold 9900 replacement and the Classic is not there yet, looks like many 9900's will see service through 2015 and beyond.
    yawdman72 likes this.
    01-01-15 02:26 PM
    Considering it is a device designed to try to on board people from BBOS to BB10, there might not be another version. I don't expect BlackBerry to keep tool belt devices forever.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 05:08 PM
    Considering it is a device designed to try to on board people from BBOS to BB10, there might not be another version. I don't expect BlackBerry to keep tool belt devices forever.

Posted via CB10
    The Classic is geared towards users who do not need a high end device because they mainly text and email for work or just can not get on with a virtual keyboard or love the Bold keyboard.

I would love to see a high end Q10 replacement. The screen quality of the Passport with the keyboard of the Bold. BlackBerry was so incredibly stupid in sticking with the Square screen. It really limits the design factors that are realistic for a Bold phone.
    01-02-15 09:20 AM
    The Classic is geared towards users who do not need a high end device because they mainly text and email for work or just can not get on with a virtual keyboard or love the Bold keyboard.

I would love to see a high end Q10 replacement. The screen quality of the Passport with the keyboard of the Bold. BlackBerry was so incredibly stupid in sticking with the Square screen. It really limits the design factors that are realistic for a Bold phone.
    Unfortunately the Waterloo distortion field allowed BlackBerry to think that any new device with a PKB would sell like hotcakes and they decided to stay with small screens and BBOS form factor, minus the tool belt. 4x3 screen should have been the minimum. Why they didn't just say here is the size of a 16x9 device, put up a VKB and tell the engineers now make a PKB device just like this with same dimensions is beyond me.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 10:30 AM
    The 16 X 9 format is not great either. Maybe in a slider. They did have a Milan slider design that they could have used.
    The 16 X9 seems to be too long and or too skinny for a PKB device with a reasonable screen size.

This is an old render but had BlackBerry come out with this AND a good OS at the get go AND adopted an Android app store at the start they would have better off today. (credit to Ross Cheriton)

How BlackBerry Can Drive the Resurgence of the Physical Keyboard | N4BB

I think a 4 inch screened device like the above would be super.
    01-02-15 12:53 PM
    The 16 X 9 format is not great either. Maybe in a slider. They did have a Milan slider design that they could have used.
    The 16 X9 seems to be too long and or too skinny for a PKB device with a reasonable screen size.

This is an old render but had BlackBerry come out with this AND a good OS at the get go AND adopted an Android app store at the start they would have better off today. (credit to Ross Cheriton)

How BlackBerry Can Drive the Resurgence of the Physical Keyboard | N4BB

I think a 4 inch screened device like the above would be super.
    Nah I meant take a 16x9 Z10 or Z30, put up the VKB, and then make the VKB a PKB, and use that as the design reference. I'd say it would be close to a 4x3 ratio. That way you could possibly leverage chassis being similar, making cases universal between the two, etc. Devs would also have same screen space to work with when in the typing mode of an app too.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 01:25 PM
    Nah I meant take a 16x9 Z10 or Z30, put up the VKB, and then make the VKB a PKB, and use that as the design reference. I'd say it would be close to a 4x3 ratio. That way you could possibly leverage chassis being similar, making cases universal between the two, etc. Devs would also have same screen space to work with when in the typing mode of an app too.

Posted via CB10

This would result in a device that would be the same width as a Classic and slightly longer but would have a 4:3 (4.1 inch screen).

It could have a longer screen if they had a Passport key board but I am not sure that it would be advisable to have screen dimensions that would be unique to this one phone in the entire world. Would a narrow Passport key board any good vs the Bold design?
    01-02-15 03:02 PM
    The classic screen is 720 x 720...you cannot increase the PPI if the screen is still square and having a size of 3.5 inches
    Could you please explain? There are several 5" phones with varying PPI. Example the Z30 is 294ppi while the Galaxy S4 is 441ppi yet they are both the same screen size. Thanks.
    01-04-15 06:00 PM
    The standard resolution for most 5 inch phones is 1080 x 1920 where as the Z30 has a resolution of 720 x 1280. Simply put most screens today have more pixels than the Z30. Higher pixels per inch usually results in a sharper picture. I have seen some 720 p screens that I felt were quite good but not so the Z30.
    01-04-15 06:35 PM
    The classic is meant as a mass market enterprise device. If you make it to high end you price it out of the market it was intended for. Yes its nice to be a high end device but for the market they are trying to capture its perfect. Tough, decent battery and good overall toughness. When you sell to enterprise your selling lots of devices to companies you dont want a device that does to much its for business not playing candy crush. I understand the disappointment of the hardware but you already have the passport as a high end device.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-04-15 09:34 PM
    So for the release of the classic 2 you'd be good with specs that from a device that's already a year old? I suppose to some specs don't matter. It's exactly why I have no interest in a classic or anything with dated specs...bring me Super Phone!! With Super specs!!!

Executive Producer of a Top Secret BBM Group of Losers that doesn't Exist via my Canadian Passport
    01-04-15 09:45 PM
    How about Classic 2 and Classic 2 plus... ;-)

Then you can offer a budget version and jack up the specs, too!

�   A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...   �
    01-05-15 08:00 PM
    Thanks. I'm fairly certain that the GPU for the Z30 is capable of cranking out 780 x 780 on a 3.5" screen. That would generate approximately 316 PPI. That was the reasoning behind my earlier post about the specs for the Classic 2.
    01-05-15 10:42 PM
    Thanks. I'm fairly certain that the GPU for the Z30 is capable of cranking out 780 x 780 on a 3.5" screen. That would generate approximately 316 PPI. That was the reasoning behind my earlier post about the specs for the Classic 2.
    Good ole' 1024 ...?
    Pixel count didn't allow for much to be displayed on the Q10, even if you went close with your eyes.

Would that be feasible?
    780 doesn't fit into the standard screen pixel "numerology", such as 768, 800, 1024, 1080, 1280, 1366, 1440, etc...

�   A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...   �
    01-05-15 11:20 PM

I think that the screen has to be 720 x 720 because of the apps ( but I am no expert ). The Passport is 1440 x 1440 which is a multiple of 720. I am not sure how small of a screen would support 1440 x 1440. is 1080 x 1080 technically feasible ? That might be the ticket in a 3.75 inch screen.
    01-05-15 11:22 PM
55 123