Hello fellow Ceos, I was thinking today. I was wondering if it would be better to really get the z30 and z10 sequels right, or to release them now with better specs in an effort to not lose any more customers this year to other devices.

Let's pretend for a second that these devices are meant for the consumer market. Would it be better to wait until AFTER September to see what the latest iPhone and droid devices offer in terms of hardware before finalizing the sequels specs, or, should we get these devices out ASAP?

In my honest opinion, I think Blackberry should primarily focus on software, but the question still stands. I initially wrote a lot more around my personal opinion but I'd like to hear what the community has to say about it before commenting further.

Hope all is well everyone!
    08-20-14 07:51 PM
    I wouldn't care so much about the specs when talking cross platform. Android is a resource hog so specs matter in that regard. IOS runs great on the latest apple hardware (or so I hear) and gets prettier with every update, but expect it to slow down a bit after two years as apple updates to take advantage of their next latest hardware. BB10 runs great on all the BlackBerry 10 devices but later models get more features (Radio, miracast, etc..). It's completely up to you what device you get and when he get it. My only suggestion is to pick the device that has the features and capabilities that work for you.
    08-20-14 08:08 PM
    X min

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 02:12 AM
    Ym

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 02:13 AM
    I personally think that BlackBerry is going in the right direction. I understand what you mean by software, but with devices being released, it only helps their end to end solutions.

I also feel that BlackBerry has made the right step by releasing the passport first because they are going after the enterprise market in full force. A full touch device to me, says the consumer market which is absolutely fine. However they don't stand a chance in the consumer markets yet unless it's emerging markets as they are doing quite well with the Z3 apparently.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 08:11 PM
    Higher specs on a BlackBerry 10 phone are great, but not as desperately needed as they are on an Android.

Anyone noticed the snappiness when opening and minimizing apps on the Passport? (just check a demo)

Certainly a huge welcome difference between that and my Q10 on 10.2.1

--------

Get some hype and momentum going with the Passport, sell, and only THEN announce the next competitively spec'ed all-touch device, maybe even a (dumb?) tablet...

Announcing specs of the next device now will definitely be a sales killer, I guess...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    08-26-14 11:16 PM
    Agreed. My only problem is that companies like mobile iron and good are all picking up blackberry scraps. Moreover, the problem with the prior comment is that it'll become exactly like how carriers are with blackberry products today. They won't push the Blackberry devices unless the business consumer wants them for their business. I don't really see that happening to be honest. The passport is nice but it's definitely a niche product. I only say that because companies haven't really tried to take on the passport head on... they're not even interested in that form factor

Everyone (mostly everyone, not saying keyboard devices don't exist in the enterprise) is convinced an all touch device is perfectly capable of doing their day jobs which is why I'm scared that blackberry will lose even more handset customers if they delay the release of their 2 all touch devices. On the one hand, it's good to get the hardware tech right but I think their biggest gap is software. I think BB10 is fantastic and 10.3 is a great leap forward. HOWEVER, it's not going to save them from the app gap. Yeah, we can deny it, or even counter it with the Amazon App Store... but it's not like people are flocking to Amazon devices either

I guess I'm rambling but I'm sort of concerned as a stock holder. JC is doing a great job getting the business back on track from a financial perspective. He can definitely turn a profit with the current portfolio. However, my concern is BES revenue is relatively stagnant, and I think they won't get more $$ for their new BES offerings (bbm, blend, exc) because they'll need to sell at the same price or relatively the same to stay competitive with all the MDM / BYOD companies today. I don't see the passport making or breaking the company but if the emphasis on devices falls combined with shrinking revenue in BES.. that would be the perfect storm

The last item is QNX, what to do with QNX... You can't sell it off to supply your other business lines with R&D cash because someone will end up selling the OS back to you at a higher price (potentially), and then curtail your IOT growth before it even starts. It's not making that much money at all but it's definitely influential and impactful. I think it will become a niche in the car overtime as well (the full package version, not the underlying OS) because it won't support all android or IOS apps. It'll succumb to the same fate as the blackberry handsets UNLESS devs finally make html5 apps that are cross platform compatible (pie in the sky, the services underneath the html layer will have to be compatible). IOT investment will be great but without someone big partnerships or startup acquisitions soon, I fear it might be too late. I don't mean to sound cynical, it's just that the big tech companies are like vultures, if they see any kind of profit in a business they're not in. They'll spend more money than blackberry makes in years to tackle the competition head on.

rant ramble rant, sorry just spitting out thoughts I have
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-29-14 08:15 AM